Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    It really is disturbing what people are capable of doing; especially of doing and convincing themselves they're in the right. Obviously the temp was just trying to open a slot full time for him and was playing the office game of thrones.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    Which is why a slow burn and evil mastermind is your best play in order to snuff him.. Just exclude him and start having a lot of functions for full time only.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Grownups do the darndest things.

The stupid thing is the kid is my age, but this is just the kind of thing a kid would do

I told him, that they don't care about you, but you went to them and now they had to cover their asses. He was like, I don't think that's true. It was all I could do to keep from boxing his ears for being such a damn fool.
    Casual wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i can barely sleep anymore

there is too much shit going on at work
    what i thought was a close co-worker in our 'unit'--ate lunch with us all the time and came out to birthday lunches, enjoyed our company, etc--was who got my officemate fired and got me pulled into HR yesterday to basically be accused of being an accessory to the "crime." Which was truly absurd and humiliating and shocking, and this temp (he's not even a permanent employee) utter lack of perspective, remorse, or even a hint of reaction to the consequences of his unthinking behavior when he could have just talked to any of us has completely upended my ability to trust him anymore. He's going to notice when I stop talking to him. Not because I want to pettily punish him (though I'd be lying if I didn't say that didn't have its place), but because I don't trust that he's not going to nurture some towering resentment against me through some imagined slight, run to HR many months down the line, and do me in like he did my officemate on a caprice

*breathe*

I'm stressed

are you kidding me? dude's a fucking temp and he did this?

you wreck his shit

you wreck it good

the gloves are off

I wish, but that is the raw and recent anger talking :( I can't do anything, not that I even want to. He's a naive catspaw and he just isn't very bright. I just can't talk to him or really be around him as much as I can help it anymore. It sounds very High School and all but I am legitimately concerned that he is capable of nursing vendettas on a whim.

yeah he clearly is

which is why i would be looking for some ammo for the next time he tries to pull a stunt like that

I don't want ammo. I don't want revenge or to cover my ass with some pathetic "But he also does etc"

I know it doesn't count for much in this environment but I have at least a semblance of personal integrity I'd like to preserve
    edited May 2013
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Yeah RMS it pretty much is

it is also only like 50% of all the issues that are currently stressing me out right now

I just want to know what this kind of thing, which honestly feels like a personal betrayal--anyone who has felt this knows how awful that is--isn't something I need to be jaded of for jobs in general. This seems pretty extraordinary to me--while perhaps not uncommon, still undeserving of a stoic "Well that's what office life is like, get used to it!"

I mean, do you want the truth? :-/

Hahaha trust me I am capable of being as hyperbolically resentful of my office and stretching that out to include pretty much any place of work at a big company

but I can see the other departments humming along just fine. It's just mine that has been torn asunder by the combination of weak personalities and insecurity.

Grass is ALWAYS greener. ;) People are/will be dicks, and everyone works to make money. It's so awesome when you can find those office spaces that're like a family, but those sort of arrangements are tough to come by, and especially so as companies grow. But yea, just snuff him, but don't do anything overt.. I usually revile passive aggressiveness, but I'm of the bias to fight kind in kind, and just playing a long game if needed, as he did apparently.
    MadCaddy on
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    It really is disturbing what people are capable of doing; especially of doing and convincing themselves they're in the right. Obviously the temp was just trying to open a slot full time for him and was playing the office game of thrones.

i agree

when some asshole tries to fuck me over for personal gain that's when i look for a way to fuck him back, not so much out of spite as "this guy is actually trying to do damage to my employment prospects, i need to stop him doing that".

it's simple self-preservation, if he's going to keep pulling shit like this to try and earn some gold stars with the boss, he either need to get slapped down by some reciprocal action so he learns it isn't worth it to fuck over his co-workers on a whim, or you need to make him out to be the shittiest temp in Christendom so he gets fired when his contract ends
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    It's 3AM and I'm regretting that big mug of coffee I drank around 9:45PM.

And for the next little while, so will all of you. :)
    I'm not going to risk my ass over him. He isn't worth it.

I'm just done associating with him.

what i thought was a close co-worker in our 'unit'--ate lunch with us all the time and came out to birthday lunches, enjoyed our company, etc--was who got my officemate fired and got me pulled into HR yesterday to basically be accused of being an accessory to the "crime." Which was truly absurd and humiliating and shocking, and this temp (he's not even a permanent employee) utter lack of perspective, remorse, or even a hint of reaction to the consequences of his unthinking behavior when he could have just talked to any of us has completely upended my ability to trust him anymore. He's going to notice when I stop talking to him. Not because I want to pettily punish him (though I'd be lying if I didn't say that didn't have its place), but because I don't trust that he's not going to nurture some towering resentment against me through some imagined slight, run to HR many months down the line, and do me in like he did my officemate on a caprice

*breathe*

I'm stressed

you wreck his shit

you wreck it good

the gloves are off

I wish, but that is the raw and recent anger talking :( I can't do anything, not that I even want to. He's a naive catspaw and he just isn't very bright. I just can't talk to him or really be around him as much as I can help it anymore. It sounds very High School and all but I am legitimately concerned that he is capable of nursing vendettas on a whim.

yeah he clearly is

which is why i would be looking for some ammo for the next time he tries to pull a stunt like that

I don't want ammo. I don't want revenge or to cover my ass with some pathetic "But he also does etc"

I know it doesn't count for much in this environment but I have at least a semblance of personal integrity I'd like to preserve

like i said it's less about petty spite than preserving your own job

integrity is nice but it don't pay the rent
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    I'm not going to risk my ass over him. He isn't worth it.

I'm just done associating with him.

Yeah that's for the best I guess.

R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

*breathe*

I'm stressed

you wreck his shit

you wreck it good

the gloves are off

yeah he clearly is

My job is pretty secure. Although I had to sit there and listen to them exaggerate the minor thing that happened and draw ridiculously outsized analogies and have them chide me about sensitivity like some grade schooler, it was ultimately just extremely humiliating, not something that should fuck me. I have too much other shit to worry about to start plotting.

He's not in my division, we aren't going to be forced to work together on any projects, so I really just have to keep from shooting him death glares and I'm golden

*breathe*

I'm stressed

you wreck his shit

you wreck it good

the gloves are off

yeah he clearly is

Agree with the first part, and there's a lot of factors that need to be considered in that vain. I think just giving him the cold shoulder, and being nicely non-confrontational, and agreeing to do favors for him that have no tie or consequence to you and then "forgetting", etc. a lotta times going completely dark after an incident like this will do more harm than good, and just makes him out a bullseye on you moreso. I'd just play it off like it's a crying shame what happened, however could it have and why would they have let go of the, he was such a good guy just like you, etc.
    Shit sucks Hakks. :(

But it sounds like you have a grip on it at least. It'll blow over in a week.
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Sorry for the horrible short hand posts... Writing with thumbs and what not with my insomnia.

I know. Recently has just been a domino effect of shitty events collapsing on one another. I barely have time to get over the most recent thing before something else is tearing open the wound and rubbing salt in it.

In the middle of it happening and for quite a while after, however, I do not have a grip, but I think that's normal. Also I can't sleep anymore. Go figure.

I know. Recently has just been a domino effect of shitty events collapsing on one another. I barely have time to get over the most recent thing before something else is tearing open the wound and rubbing salt in it.

In the middle of it happening and for quite a while after, however, I do not have a grip, but I think that's normal. Also I can't sleep anymore. Go figure.

It might feel like you're boiling over with panic on the inside but you're still thinking rationally and doing the right things. Believe it or not that is having a grip on things, not letting the panic and stress drive you into stupid decisions.

It's a skill that will serve you very well.
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

Sounds like you and I can battle with similar things.. If you're position is secure and you're good with your superior and actual work responsibilities, this really is just one if those, "yep, people suck." Times that you'll get over as quick as you normally do depending on how decent a guy you lost/thought the turncoat was. Office politics are why I just leave my headphones on and read so much when I work.. Dealing with that shit always gives me a tough night to sleep unaided.

It might feel like you're boiling over with panic on the inside but you're still thinking rationally and doing the right things. Believe it or not that is having a grip on things, not letting the panic and stress drive you into stupid decisions.

Well first I had to rant and rave and drive my poor boyfriend batty

Then I can get a grip
    Try to use it as a growth experience.. What sorta tells did he exhibit you may not overlook next time.

Well first I had to rant and rave and drive my poor boyfriend batty

Then I can get a grip

These all sound like normal reactions to a crisis to me.
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

Sounds like you and I can battle with similar things.. If you're position is secure and you're good with your superior and actual work responsibilities, this really is just one if those, "yep, people suck." Times that you'll get over as quick as you normally do depending on how decent a guy you lost/thought the turncoat was. Office politics are why I just leave my headphones on and read so much when I work.. Dealing with that shit always gives me a tough night to sleep unaided.

My officemate was smart and easygoing and I thought the turncoat at least had the strength of character to talk to him, or even the rest of us, face to face

So yeah it's a double whammy of losing the best person in the office and having my expectations completely reversed on who I thought was a stand up guy
    Ugh I guess I have to get up now and drag my sorry ass to that viper's nest
    Get the game face on and show no weakness ;)
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    i think my boss knows i am stressed by exams

he hasn't asked me to do anything in like, a week

i'm just sitting in my office, reading notes and dicking about on the internet

i'm ok with this

Are you kidding me I'm going to crawl under my desk and take a nap

that is also good
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular
    Buttz
    I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.

My officemate was smart and easygoing and I thought the turncoat at least had the strength of character to talk to him, or even the rest of us, face to face

So yeah it's a double whammy of losing the best person in the office and having my expectations completely reversed on who I thought was a stand up guy

Im really sorry to hear that. it really sucks when your faith in humanity gets shaken, and time will be your friend. That and just keeping a tighter lid on your non-productivity interactions with workmates (which sucks, and is really hard, but will make you an all star with your superiors, and can keep your mind off the bullshit.) again, the poker player in me would have to evaluate the whole chain of events and see if i could pick up a tellon when i shoulda known, but outside of that there's nothing of benefit for yourself to come from worrying about it any more. Youre awesome, and he'll get what he deserves (he's just probably desperate to get a steady paycheck, and has those very slippery ethics that can be oh so prevalent; it's hard to make a man understand what refutes that which pays his salary.
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular
    It's my girlfriend's last day at work as a temp for the company she would have loved to spend the rest of her life working for. She applied to any job within the organisation trying to stay with them, but got rejected for vague reasons every time. Yesterday she found out that everyone wanted to hire her, but she was blacklisted by HR for "being flaky", because she applied to too many jobs. She was not informed of this, she explained to her interviewers before that it was her dream to work for this organisation and did not care in what position.

We can't win. We will spend the rest of our lives as mercenaries working for one terrible company after the other.
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Buttz

Big, dark areolas
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Buttz

piq_7456_400x400.png

that is also good

Be strong.. You gotta fight til you die. Jason mathew thirsk and shit.
    Aldo wrote: »
    It's my girlfriend's last day at work as a temp for the company she would have loved to spend the rest of her life working for. She applied to any job within the organisation trying to stay with them, but got rejected for vague reasons every time. Yesterday she found out that everyone wanted to hire her, but she was blacklisted by HR for "being flaky", because she applied to too many jobs. She was not informed of this, she explained to her interviewers before that it was her dream to work for this organisation and did not care in what position.

We can't win. We will spend the rest of our lives as mercenaries working for one terrible company after the other.

Eat the HR department.
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

What are those insane numbers of 20 something's being self employed/creating their own businesses? I can give a few pointers in some directions. I'm looking for some handicapping buddies that can program and parse James Quinn.

Eat the HR department.

I got kinda lucky my girlfriends mom was head of h&r for several different branches in her state, so a lot of the stuff I know I've learned through osmosis through them. It's really stupid how biased it is, and it really is just a reputation management and spin game.
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular

Eat the HR department.

She's having a talk with them today to explain to them again that she is anything but flaky.

I'm getting my Kirby costume ready in the interim.
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    it's raining and thundering

tumbles will be pooping herself in t-minus..
    edited May 2013

Eat the HR department.

I got kinda lucky my girlfriends mom was head of h&r for several different branches in her state, so a lot of the stuff I know I've learned through osmosis through them. It's really stupid how biased it is, and it really is just a reputation management and spin game.

I know, I really hate HR in general, Aldos gf's story is pretty typical of the sort of bullshit HR departments the world over pull. It's so fucking pointless and arbitrary, just fucking peoples futures over on a whim.
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    "You need to apply to lots of jobs to show initiative!"

"You applied to too many jobs, you're flaky!"

Fuck job culture.
    Echo on
This discussion has been closed.