Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Here is a webcomic.

2013-04-15-chapter-3-page-52.png

I would put money on a bet that the artist has gone through art school.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I cannot follow that comic at all. What on earth is going on.

There has to be an incredible amount of context I am missing out on here.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I cannot follow that comic at all. What on earth is going on.

There has to be an incredible amount of context I am missing out on here.
    It is a comic about a kid who joins a club where he hunts possessed items. It is pretty good.
    3FMmC.jpg
    2012-10-05-chapter-3-page-18.png

It's just really rare to see a webcomic where the art outpaces everything else.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    mmnnyurrh_zps38dc8eef.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    At 7 minutes the drugs kicked in.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I'd make Suzy's face in the middle right panel my avatar so fast if I didn't like Dash.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @jacobkosh @desc @powerpuppies @thomamelas

I present Aurelia converted

I still have 4 Experiences left to spend (including the one from tonight) but am considering saving for Gnosis

edit: I spent them improving Composure, which I've always felt was low but never had the XP to improve.
    Elldren on
    Surprisingly enough, orange-haired anime hair guy is not the protagonist.

At least, not yet. You never know, with webcomics.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @Elldren do you (or anyone else) have any interest in taking a look at the notes I am putting together for a D&D game?

I am just about ready to send em off.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    semester ends for me tomorrow yayyyyyy
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    @Elldren do you (or anyone else) have any interest in taking a look at the notes I am putting together for a D&D game?

I am just about ready to send em off.

Sure why not
  • JeanJean Northern Alberta , CanadaRegistered User regular
    I got lost in that weird part of Youtube again....

I learnt they're is a TV show in France called YOLO - on ne vit qu'une fois

Watched a few episodes out of morbid curiosity. It's as stupid, if not even stupider, than Jersey Shore.

The charachters actually say YOLO, unironically, about once per episode. Asides from that tough, it's the type of show where everyone sleeps with everyone. Pretty typical.

The one thing that really irks me is than they use national stereotypes STRAIGHT. A show made in 2013 that shamlessly exploit every national stereotype about the italians... My north american sensibilities say WTF.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Time to get dressed and start doing some of the work I need to do.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

Watched a few episodes out of morbid curiosity. It's as stupid, if not even stupider, than Jersey Shore.

The charachters actually say YOLO, unironically, about once per episode. Asides from that tough, it's the type of show where everyone sleeps with everyone. Pretty typical.

The one thing that really irks me is than they use national stereotypes STRAIGHT. A show made in 2013 that shamlessly exploit every national stereotype about the italians... My north american sensibilities say WTF.

I wouldn't normally watch this show, but yolo
    vspgsp.jpg
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    @Cokebotle

From what I understand, キャット&チョコレート is based on a mechanic of being given three items and an event, then having to explain how you escape the event (the base game is in a haunted house) with those items (such as a cat and chocolate)

Posh has actually played it, so he might have more details

I was thinking it might be a fun game to pick up while I'm here, if I can
    turtlesig.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

Europeans are so backwards when it comes to regional stereotypes. It is known.
    Yeah, I know. That's why it's funny.

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Paranatural (the webcomic on this page) is awesome. You need to read the archives to completely appreciate it, but they aren't too long and you won't regret it.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    @Cokebotle

From what I understand, キャット&チョコレート is based on a mechanic of being given three items and an event, then having to explain how you escape the event (the base game is in a haunted house) with those items (such as a cat and chocolate)

You should, and it has a nice scoring mechanic to ensure fairness - people judge and give each other points, but all players are secretly in teams of two, and don't know it, through a face-down card they've been dealt and is only consulted at the end. So you have to be fair.

It's about the level of Dixit, but funnier and more creative.

Recently I've been playing a lot of Japanese games, especially those by Seiji Kanai.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
    poshniallo wrote: »
    @Cokebotle

You should, and it has a nice scoring mechanic to ensure fairness - people judge and give each other points, but all players are secretly in teams of two, and don't know it, through a face-down card they've been dealt and is only consulted at the end. So you have to be fair.

Recently I've been playing a lot of Japanese games, especially those by Seiji Kanai.

Where do you think I could pick it up, if not on Amazon? I found this webstore that has them, but I'm not sure how I could pay for it, since the options are either credit card (which I don't have) or something that I can't read properly.
    turtlesig.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    The rain in London falls mostly on me as I walk to the train. While a plane overflies me
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited May 2013
    @Cokebotle

Where do you think I could pick it up, if not on Amazon? I found this webstore that has them, but I'm not sure how I could pay for it, since the options are either credit card (which I don't have) or something that I can't read properly.

http://banesto.shop6.makeshop.jp/shop/shopbrand.html

Do you know about furikomi? That's how we often pay things here.
    poshniallo on
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
    edited May 2013
    @Cokebotle

http://banesto.shop6.makeshop.jp/shop/shopbrand.html

Do you know about furikomi? That's how we often pay things here.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=cat+chocolate&oq=cat+chocolate&gs_l=products-cc.3...2130.4335.0.4546.13.8.0.5.0.0.137.737.5j3.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.cRQZRLQgsbk#safe=off&hl=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=キャット&チョコレート&oq=キャット&チョコレート&gs_l=serp.3...2614.2614.0.3451.1.1.0.0.0.0.131.131.0j1.1.0...0.0...1c.1.12.psy-ab.dVoqc9faveU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=a86fc35ae9463162&biw=1366&bih=677

http://nekonosippo.jp/SHOP/catchoco01k9.html?prd=google_ps&bid=56000000

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Qvinta-Essentia-キャット-チョコレート/dp/B003S9XD0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367996717&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+chocolate

@simonwolf With amazon you can use E-cash from convenience stores, or pay COD, or have it sent to a convenience store and pay when you collect it. Check the English help for amazon.
    poshniallo on
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    I've paid for stuff via furikomi a couple of times, though that was with English guidance throughout the process.

Most of my shopping here is done via Amazon, since I can pay for that via that handy-dandy conbini system
    turtlesig.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Good morning chat.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    also, posh, you can't edit in @ notifications, you need to put them in a fresh post

Anyway I'll hassle my Japanese-fluent friend here to see if we could finagle ordering a copy of this thing

the base set looks cool, though that high school romance-ish one looks amazing (but completely untranslated from what I can tell)
    turtlesig.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I like to limit my visits to CNN or other similar bullshit news sources.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I bought giant gloves today! They're warm and have finger thingies for phone screens.

What I really need now is a non-metallic belt for airports, and composite-toed boots (rather then steel).
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/mexico/8329843/Mexican-brewery-unveils-first-gay-beer.html
    The beer, which has a slight honey flavour, will initially be marketed to homosexual consumers in Mexico, Colombia and Japan.

The Minerva brewery said that the "Artisan Honey-Ales" would appeal to a section of the beer-drinking public that had so far been snubbed by larger brewers.

"We're out in the market with great respect with the idea of offering a product directed to the gay-lesbian community that has been ignored for too long but is important and very demanding", Dario Rodriguez Wyler, commercial manager for distributors Bodega 12, told the Mexican news agency Efe.

The label on the beer bottles has been designed so that it can be unglued and worn as a symbol of gay-lesbian pride, he said.

• JeanJean Northern Alberta , CanadaRegistered User regular
    YOLOOOOOOO

Pullin for Fabrizio, the italian macho mama boy (such an original chracther!)

media.melty.fr/article-1326661-ajust_930/fabrizio.jpg
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    also, posh, you can't edit in @ notifications, you need to put them in a fresh post

Anyway I'll hassle my Japanese-fluent friend here to see if we could finagle ordering a copy of this thing

the base set looks cool, though that high school romance-ish one looks amazing (but completely untranslated from what I can tell)

Amazon.co.jp has English throughout, including English customer support.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Am I totally wrong in thinking that's a bit offensive?

I can't really put my finger on it, but it seems sort of analogous to marketing malt liquor to black people.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Bed time.

If any of you come across a Canuck player this spring/summer (most likely on a golf course) do me a favour and spit on their shoes.

Night.

Amazon.co.jp has English throughout, including English customer support.

Oh, I know, I've ordered through them a bundle of times!

I haven't dealt with any second-party sellers, though, and the sellers via Amazon seem to be charging a bit more than the other sources.

Like I said, I'll hassle my friend into translating the process for me. Thanks for the help so far!
    turtlesig.jpg
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    An unexpected evening of boardgames yesterday, as two guys from my RPG group cancelled. Ticket to Ride, which I've never actually played in physical form, Small World and Star Trek: Fleet Captains.

The guy playing Romulans should have won but didn't understand the role a saboteur could play, which meant the sappy Federation dug from the science mine for victory. Federation are beginning to look very much like easy mode with all their "Do a sensor test over there somewhere or something" missions while Klingons and Romulans get a preponderance of missions that require interaction and conflict.
This discussion has been closed.