Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• CindersCinders Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    What to name this cleric...

Radical Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr

Hmm, going with an Arabic or Persian name could be fun.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Feral wrote: »
    Here's a sample from Wisconsin's new food stamps regulations

WIC_Milk.png

Although I'm perfectly fine with the governor doing whatever he want now that he's lived up to his promise to add 250,000 new jobs to the state economy by 2014

Which he most assuredly has and we're not actually nearly at the bottom of the nation in terms of recovery, right

Edit: it should be noted brown eggs, cheddar cheese, and organic milk are like... all things that Wisconsin makes in huge quantities (many by small producers) so I'm sure this will create jobs :)

Wait, what?

Bloomberg is evil for making it mildly inconvenient to buy large quantities of soda.

But when Walker completely bans organic milk and glass bottles, it's okay. Fuck it, only filthy hippies drink organic milk anyway.

Edit: Ah, didn't see that was food stamps. Still, dumb.

Actually it's not food stamps at all.

It's WIC

which is a very different thing
    AB 110, which will be up for a vote in the Assembly on Tuesday, May 7, is geared toward limiting "the amount of food stamp benefits that could be spent on junk food."

it then starts arbitrarily defining food items as junk food

say what you want about organic milk, it isn't junk food, neither are brown eggs

WIC_Eggs.png

Edit: "Specifically, the amended program would allow only a third of an individual's FoodShare benefits to be spent on a full range of food as they currently can be. The remaining two-thirds would be subject to the same restrictions as the federal Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutritional program, with some small modifications. (Both programs, of course, bar restaurant food, cigarettes, alcohol, and pet foods.)"
    override367 on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    If i register for on nwn online site do I automatically get beta access or is it like they randomly choose people.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    If i register for on nwn online site do I automatically get beta access or is it like they randomly choose people.

It's an open beta.
  • MadpandaMadpanda Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Warlock was a blast to play. I remember during Wrath a guildie and myself were duo leveling as warlocks, we were doing that one hellfire peninsula quest where you have to kill orcs near a crystal so it steals their souls. With just the 2 of us out there we were getting swarmed with adds, guildie died quick and watched as I sat there and soloed like 10 even cons. She mained warlock after that little display.

Really looking forward to higher level wizard in NWN. I'm about to hit 30 and outside of a few boss fights I don't really do much controlling in groups. I love playing classes where their worth isn't "how much dps/healing are you doing". Sadly most mmo's don't do this well.
    Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular

WIC_Milk.png

Although I'm perfectly fine with the governor doing whatever he want now that he's lived up to his promise to add 250,000 new jobs to the state economy by 2014

Which he most assuredly has and we're not actually nearly at the bottom of the nation in terms of recovery, right

Edit: it should be noted brown eggs, cheddar cheese, and organic milk are like... all things that Wisconsin makes in huge quantities (many by small producers) so I'm sure this will create jobs :)

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetarded

My guess is that all these "banned" milks are more expensive than the "allowed" kinds. So from that point of view it kinda makes sense to count them as "luxury" items and ban people on food stamps from buying them.

Of course it makes a lot less sense knowing they are state-produced foods and therefore you're hurting your own state by forbidding their sale. And even less so when you take into account that they're not banning people buying soda, junk food, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, or instant lottery tickets.

What I'm saying is that there was at least a shadow of a seed of a core of a good idea, before Republican horribleness killed it, burned it, peed on its ashes, reconstituted the ashes into the original seed, revived it with lightning, then killed it, burned it, and peed on its ashes again.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Wait
    What the fuck.
    Did you just say they banned cheese?
    God have mercy on whoever tries to take my cheese.
    I will fuck some bitches up.

If you're on food stamps.

Also jesus christ is that terrible on multiple levels.
    I use to be foot stamp eligible but I never got them because of not wanting to hurt what little pride I had.

I felt that way for a while.

Then I tried to live on 20 bucks a month for groceries.

Now I use food stamps.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    STORE CHAIN REBM4 PARALLEL CHAIN PRRAMPE OFFSET 4 BEGIN REBM401 REBM40

I R PROGRAMMER GUYZ

The trick is that the more screens you have, the better at programming you are.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Ah, I see.
    Specifically, the amended program would allow only a third of an individual's FoodShare benefits to be spent on a full range of food as they currently can be. The remaining two-thirds would be subject to the same restrictions as the federal Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutritional program, with some small modifications. (Both programs, of course, bar restaurant food, cigarettes, alcohol, and pet foods.)

WIC is a federal program intended to supplement food stamp benefits for a particularly vulnerable population of women and young children. As such, it has strict -- and at times very odd -- guidelines to focus these supplemental food dollars on nutritionally dense staple foods.

Wisconsin's AB 110 would mandate that two-thirds of a person's FoodShare benefits could be spent only on foods on the WIC-approved list.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

WIC_Milk.png

Wait, what?

Bloomberg is evil for making it mildly inconvenient to buy large quantities of soda.

But when Walker completely bans organic milk and glass bottles, it's okay. Fuck it, only filthy hippies drink organic milk anyway.

It's WIC

AB 110, which will be up for a vote in the Assembly on Tuesday, May 7, is geared toward limiting "the amount of food stamp benefits that could be spent on junk food."

say what you want about organic milk, it isn't junk food, neither are brown eggs

WIC_Eggs.png

Edit: "Specifically, the amended program would allow only a third of an individual's FoodShare benefits to be spent on a full range of food as they currently can be. The remaining two-thirds would be subject to the same restrictions as the federal Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutritional program, with some small modifications. (Both programs, of course, bar restaurant food, cigarettes, alcohol, and pet foods.)"

Around here brown eggs are about 3 times the price of regular eggs.
    That's kind of eggstravagant for people on a budget, isn't it?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Chat may have moved on from PHP. I have not.

http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Some highlights:
    Incrementing (++) a NULL produces 1. Decrementing (--) a NULL produces NULL. Decrementing a string likewise leaves it unchanged.
    All of the (many…) sort functions operate in-place and return nothing. There is no way to create a new sorted copy; you have to copy the array yourself, then sort it, then use the array.
    But array_reverse returns a new array.

yeah, the way PHP handles types is pretty much like gohomephpyouaredrunk

sometimes a null is an integer that happens to be zero, sometimes it's not, who the fuck knows which you're working with because it's php

and i say this as somebody who works primarily in php (by way of drupal)

As a fellow drupal guy...

you spend a lot of time converting strings into integers or vice versa, or checking for null state before checking for something else...

there are a lot of extra silly steps in PHP.

But I get paid.
    meat.jpg
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular

if you get to a point where it asks you about a beta key try something else

I had to switch browsers for it because I couldn't figure out what sites Noscript and adblock were blocking to make it work
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    HELP

i am being bothered by a very special needs puppy

Please tell me the puppy is just very needy and not actually a special needs puppy.

I don't need to get bummed out after my ice cream adventure.

he seems to be a very happy and loved puppy he just has a silly waddle and eyes that go slightly akilter
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

WIC_Milk.png

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetarded

My guess is that all these "banned" milks are more expensive than the "allowed" kinds. So from that point of view it kinda makes sense to count them as "luxury" items and ban people on food stamps from buying them.

Of course it makes a lot less sense knowing they are state-produced foods and therefore you're hurting your own state by forbidding their sale. And even less so when you take into account that they're not banning people buying soda, junk food, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, or instant lottery tickets.

What I'm saying is that there was at least a shadow of a seed of a core of a good idea, before Republican horribleness killed it, burned it, peed on its ashes, reconstituted the ashes into the original seed, revived it with lightning, then killed it, burned it, and peed on its ashes again.

It doesn't make sense at all unless you believe in the protestant work ethic.

Might as well limit food stamps to only store brands if we are concerned by how much food costs.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    STORE CHAIN REBM4 PARALLEL CHAIN PRRAMPE OFFSET 4 BEGIN REBM401 REBM40

I R PROGRAMMER GUYZ

The trick is that the more screens you have, the better at programming you are.

calling IT now
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    edited May 2013
    It should be noted that this new food stamp regulation comes at the SAME TIME as a new law is signed that criminalizes food stamps fraud for both the buyer and seller

A complex set of regulations on when you can accept food stamps that carries prison time i you don't adhere to it? This won't possibly disincentivize small grocery stores in poor neighborhoods like the one I live in from accepting food stamps :)
    override367 on
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    The worst part of government assistance is when they stopped giving out the cheese.

All those government cheese jokes? It's not a fucking joke. That shit was amazing. Imagine a cheese with a very mild cheddar taste, softer than actual cheddar, firmer than velveeta. It was truly ambrosia. It almost made the tin taste of canned orange juice bearable.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    my family has spent my whole life on food stamps and i've spent time on it too. in the general case i am somewhat receptive to the idea of disapproved food lists.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

in the US, we have two common forms of food assistance

there's WIC - Women, Infants, and Children - which comes in the form of vouchers that you use on specific staple food products. So you get a coupon that says "good for one gallon of milk" and your state defines what kind of milk is permissible. So, yeah, they restrict organic milk because it's expensive.

then there's SNAP, aka TANF, aka food stamps. This comes in the form of a debit card with a monetary balance that you can use to pay for food items at any grocery store; there's no restriction on the food items you can buy.

It looks like what Wisconsin is doing is taking the WIC restrictions and applying them to SNAP.

I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Chat may have moved on from PHP. I have not.

http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Some highlights:
    Incrementing (++) a NULL produces 1. Decrementing (--) a NULL produces NULL. Decrementing a string likewise leaves it unchanged.
    All of the (many…) sort functions operate in-place and return nothing. There is no way to create a new sorted copy; you have to copy the array yourself, then sort it, then use the array.
    But array_reverse returns a new array.

yeah, the way PHP handles types is pretty much like gohomephpyouaredrunk

sometimes a null is an integer that happens to be zero, sometimes it's not, who the fuck knows which you're working with because it's php

and i say this as somebody who works primarily in php (by way of drupal)

true, false, file_not_found
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    What to name this cleric...

Radical Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr

Hmm, going with an Arabic or Persian name could be fun.

If this is Neverwinter, there is a whole persian setting in Faerun called Al'Qadim.

Tons of cities and djinni and desert oasises and harems and shit.

You can totes do it AND be world accurate.
    meat.jpg
    HELP

Please tell me the puppy is just very needy and not actually a special needs puppy.

he seems to be a very happy and loved puppy he just has a silly waddle and eyes that go slightly akilter

That's not a puppy. Organichu has snuck into your office. Quit letting him put his nose in your crotch. Call the police.
    edited May 2013
    Deebaser wrote: »

WIC_Milk.png

Wait, what?

It's WIC

WIC_Eggs.png

I don't know where you live, but brown eggs are only slightly more expensive here

To me this law has a few primary goals:

-Empower larger grocery retailers who already accept WIC
    -Put tiny corner stores at a disadvantage, who do not accept WIC already
    -Poor-shame the poors by having such a complex list that more people end up at the register with a balance leftover after swiping their Foodshare card and have to have it explained why their food doesn't count as food
    override367 on
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    I have no idea why brown eggs are disallowed.

It's like saying "You have to pay twice the toll on the highway because your hair is red."

Fucking gingers.

Eggs can even be spotted.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    A lot of people on my Facebook feed have become huge hippie stereotypes

They dress and speak like the 60s and 70s archetypes in many ways

Like this one girl's posts start by praising someone or some event and then decay into unstructured single words, usually some combination of love, peace, gratitude, etc.

I don't know why it raises my hackles. Something about self-righteousness maybe? The lack of sophistication of the concepts being presented in a facile way as though they are some great revelation? The privilege of having a nomadic lifestyle be a phase or an experiment instead of a necessity?
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Actually, I think brown eggs are even more expensive than that. I picked up two dozen from costco over the weekend for $7. The 36 count white were considerably cheaper IIRC, but that was p much a non starter because what the fuck am I going to do with 36 eggs?
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular

in the US, we have two common forms of food assistance

there's WIC - Women, Infants, and Children - which comes in the form of vouchers that you use on specific staple food products. So you get a coupon that says "good for one gallon of milk" and your state defines what kind of milk is permissible. So, yeah, they restrict organic milk because it's expensive.

then there's SNAP, aka TANF, aka food stamps. This comes in the form of a debit card with a monetary balance that you can use to pay for food items at any grocery store; there's no restriction on the food items you can buy.

It looks like what Wisconsin is doing is taking the WIC restrictions and applying them to SNAP.

Yeah. Like someone said earlier, it started with the core of a decent/ok idea, and then kinda took it to a weird extreme.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    yeah cage free and/or brown eggs are like, a negligible price increase here in chicago as well
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Actually, I think brown eggs are even more expensive than that. I picked up two dozen from costco over the weekend for $7. The 36 count white were considerably cheaper IIRC, but that was p much a non starter because what the fuck am I going to do with 36 eggs?

beats me
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    @Organichu
    I heard you got cancer and lost your hair.
    Or maybe there was another reason.
    Either way, I bought a wig for you.
    A2QARm5.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    HELP

That's not a puppy. Organichu has snuck into your office. Quit letting him put his nose in your crotch. Call the police.

Narc
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Winky wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Fizzbuzz is a "classic" interview question (that nobody actually gets exposed to in real life). It goes like this:

Count from 1 to 100. If the number is divisible by 3, print "fizz" instead of the number. If divisible by 5, print "buzz" instead. If divisible by 3 and 5, print "fizzbuzz".

It's pretty much a "weed out the impostors" question.

I don't program, but the stumbling block for me would be whatever determines a number's divisibility

I guess you'd have to know how to make the program identify integers

Luckily, in programming you have a type that is only possibly an integer.

Actually, how about a function that finds out if a double is even? I don't even know how % usually works with doubles.

"even" doesn't have any real meaning for non-integers
    I love that it's healthier food that is getting banned.

That's just brilliant.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

WIC_Milk.png

Wait, what?

It's WIC

WIC_Eggs.png

this pun is eggscellent
    919UOwT.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    The worst part of government assistance is when they stopped giving out the cheese.

All those government cheese jokes? It's not a fucking joke. That shit was amazing. Imagine a cheese with a very mild cheddar taste, softer than actual cheddar, firmer than velveeta. It was truly ambrosia. It almost made the tin taste of canned orange juice bearable.

Imagine a cheese, then forget everything you know about cheese. Now imagine wallpaper paste that tastes like whatever the color orange tastes like. That's government cheese.
    h1DI1.jpg
    Organichu wrote: »
    HELP

Narc

Zionist
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    A lot of people on my Facebook feed have become huge hippie stereotypes

They dress and speak like the 60s and 70s archetypes in many ways

Like this one girl's posts start by praising someone or some event and then decay into unstructured single words, usually some combination of love, peace, gratitude, etc.

I don't know why it raises my hackles. Something about self-righteousness maybe? The lack of sophistication of the concepts being presented in a facile way as though they are some great revelation? The privilege of having a nomadic lifestyle be a phase or an experiment instead of a necessity?

speaking of that my mom sent me this a little bit ago in an email
    Just tweeted Mr. Colbert: How can you "like" this guy?

Colbert, jokes about Benghazi NOT FUNNY. Americans died due to negligence & WH stood down - and you think it's funny?!! NOT!

that's the whole email

Imagine a cheese, then forget everything you know about cheese. Now imagine wallpaper paste that tastes like whatever the color orange tastes like. That's government cheese.

You must have had a different government cheese than me because government cheese was awesome, or you're terrible.
    My entire family used to live on those giant logs of government cheese.

At my local grocer, the store brand large white eggs are 1.29 for a dozen, and the cheapest brown eggs are 2.99 / dozen.

The eggs I buy are usually 3.49-4.99 a dozen, because organic eggs are an actual noticable quality difference over non.

My take on organic is that it matters with proteins far more than it does with veggies; veggies benefit more from locally sourced and recently picked, along with regionally appropriate.

I guess what I am saying is Jersey corn and tomatoes are the best. Da bes. and they don't need to be organic.
    meat.jpg
This discussion has been closed.