Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Wisconsin? Make terrible decisions? No way.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Still waiting on governor walker to pass a law creating jobs or do something with education that can't be described with the word "gutting'
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I don't really like non-XR Adderall.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    We bought eggs one time and a dead bird fell out of one.
    A little part of me died that day.
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I love that it's healthier food that is getting banned.

That's just brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TTODewback wrote: »
    My entire family used to live on those giant logs of government cheese.
    I loved those logs when I lived on the rez.

I would cut thick slices and make the best grilled cheese sandwiches. Seriously, there is no better grilled cheese sandwich on the planet than the kind you make with a way too thick slice of processed government cheese and real USDA whole salted butter on white bread.
    syndalis on
    meat.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

A partial bird abortion.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Here's a sample from Wisconsin's new food stamps regulations

WIC_Milk.png

Although I'm perfectly fine with the governor doing whatever he want now that he's lived up to his promise to add 250,000 new jobs to the state economy by 2014

Which he most assuredly has and we're not actually nearly at the bottom of the nation in terms of recovery, right

Edit: it should be noted brown eggs, cheddar cheese, and organic milk are like... all things that Wisconsin makes in huge quantities (many by small producers) so I'm sure this will create jobs :)

Wait, what?

Bloomberg is evil for making it mildly inconvenient to buy large quantities of soda.

But when Walker completely bans organic milk and glass bottles, it's okay. Fuck it, only filthy hippies drink organic milk anyway.

Edit: Ah, didn't see that was food stamps. Still, dumb.

Actually it's not food stamps at all.

It's WIC

which is a very different thing
    AB 110, which will be up for a vote in the Assembly on Tuesday, May 7, is geared toward limiting "the amount of food stamp benefits that could be spent on junk food."

it then starts arbitrarily defining food items as junk food

say what you want about organic milk, it isn't junk food, neither are brown eggs

WIC_Eggs.png

Edit: "Specifically, the amended program would allow only a third of an individual's FoodShare benefits to be spent on a full range of food as they currently can be. The remaining two-thirds would be subject to the same restrictions as the federal Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutritional program, with some small modifications. (Both programs, of course, bar restaurant food, cigarettes, alcohol, and pet foods.)"

Around here brown eggs are about 3 times the price of regular eggs.
    That's kind of eggstravagant for people on a budget, isn't it?

this pun is eggscellent

i will scramble your face
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    My guess is that all these "banned" milks are more expensive than the "allowed" kinds. So from that point of view it kinda makes sense to count them as "luxury" items and ban people on food stamps from buying them.

Of course it makes a lot less sense knowing they are state-produced foods and therefore you're hurting your own state by forbidding their sale. And even less so when you take into account that they're not banning people buying soda, junk food, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, or instant lottery tickets.

What I'm saying is that there was at least a shadow of a seed of a core of a good idea, before Republican horribleness killed it, burned it, peed on its ashes, reconstituted the ashes into the original seed, revived it with lightning, then killed it, burned it, and peed on its ashes again.

It doesn't make sense at all unless you believe in the protestant work ethic.

Might as well limit food stamps to only store brands if we are concerned by how much food costs.

Well, we should be concerned about how much food costs. I mean, these are people living on a low fixed government food budget. When that budget runs out, it becomes a major social problem. Making rules to control how to make that budget stretch as long as possible isn't unreasonable, and certainly beats alternatives such as filling up our soup kitchens, emptying our food banks, or having people starving to death.

You can argue that people should be able to manage their own food budget. But people are bad at managing budgets. And I don't mean poor people, I mean people. People do not save for emergencies or retirements, they spend everything they have and then some and rack up credit card debts and still continue to waste money on unnecessary luxuries, and most people wouldn't know a household budget if it walked up to them and said hi. I do not trust people to make sound financial decisions by themselves. So when these sound financial decisions become the difference between eating and starving, I don't have a problem with the government stepping in and helping in an intelligent way (which the Wisconsin way is not at all).
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    I should start an anti-eggs PAC because eggs are pro abortion and see if I can get any conservative dollars
    syndalis wrote: »

I would cut thick slices and make the best grilled cheese sandwiches. Seriously, there is no better grilled cheese sandwich on the planet than the kind you make with a way too thick slice of processed government cheese and real USDA whole salted butter on white bread.

this man speaks the truth and if you disagree with him you are attacking native americans
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

WIC_Milk.png

Although I'm perfectly fine with the governor doing whatever he want now that he's lived up to his promise to add 250,000 new jobs to the state economy by 2014

Which he most assuredly has and we're not actually nearly at the bottom of the nation in terms of recovery, right

Edit: it should be noted brown eggs, cheddar cheese, and organic milk are like... all things that Wisconsin makes in huge quantities (many by small producers) so I'm sure this will create jobs :)

Wait, what?

Bloomberg is evil for making it mildly inconvenient to buy large quantities of soda.

But when Walker completely bans organic milk and glass bottles, it's okay. Fuck it, only filthy hippies drink organic milk anyway.

It's WIC

AB 110, which will be up for a vote in the Assembly on Tuesday, May 7, is geared toward limiting "the amount of food stamp benefits that could be spent on junk food."

say what you want about organic milk, it isn't junk food, neither are brown eggs

WIC_Eggs.png

Edit: "Specifically, the amended program would allow only a third of an individual's FoodShare benefits to be spent on a full range of food as they currently can be. The remaining two-thirds would be subject to the same restrictions as the federal Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutritional program, with some small modifications. (Both programs, of course, bar restaurant food, cigarettes, alcohol, and pet foods.)"

this pun is eggscellent

layers gonna lay
    919UOwT.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    I hope Rick Scott doesn't find out I've been using food stamps to buy fresh vegetables, whole wheat bread, brown rice, and beans.

Someone should really come make sure I'm only getting maltomeal cereals, kraft dinner, and wonder bread.
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013
    My guess is that all these "banned" milks are more expensive than the "allowed" kinds. So from that point of view it kinda makes sense to count them as "luxury" items and ban people on food stamps from buying them.

Of course it makes a lot less sense knowing they are state-produced foods and therefore you're hurting your own state by forbidding their sale. And even less so when you take into account that they're not banning people buying soda, junk food, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, or instant lottery tickets.

What I'm saying is that there was at least a shadow of a seed of a core of a good idea, before Republican horribleness killed it, burned it, peed on its ashes, reconstituted the ashes into the original seed, revived it with lightning, then killed it, burned it, and peed on its ashes again.

Might as well limit food stamps to only store brands if we are concerned by how much food costs.

Well, we should be concerned about how much food costs. I mean, these are people living on a low fixed government food budget. When that budget runs out, it becomes a major social problem. Making rules to control how to make that budget stretch as long as possible isn't unreasonable, and certainly beats alternatives such as filling up our soup kitchens, emptying our food banks, or having people starving to death.

You can argue that people should be able to manage their own food budget. But people are bad at managing budgets. And I don't mean poor people, I mean people. People do not save for emergencies or retirements, they spend everything they have and then some and rack up credit card debts and still continue to waste money on unnecessary luxuries, and most people wouldn't know a household budget if it walked up to them and said hi. I do not trust people to make sound financial decisions by themselves. So when these sound financial decisions become the difference between eating and starving, I don't have a problem with the government stepping in and helping in an intelligent way (which the Wisconsin way is not at all).

First you would have to establish that there is a serious problem with the way SNAP is playing out

Are large numbers of poor people dying because they can't effectively manage their food stamps budget?

I would say no, and that the entire intent of this law is to shame poor people at the register by making them put things back, and given it's highly coincidental timing with the law criminalizing misuse of food stamps, probably equally designed to reduce access to food to poor people. After all why would I bother accepting food stamps in a neighborhood where I have maybe a dozen customers who use it and now I have to deal with all these new regulations, especially when it's criminal if I fuck it up and sell them brown eggs and accept SNAP?
    override367 on
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular

WIC_Milk.png

Wait, what?

It's WIC

WIC_Eggs.png

this pun is eggscellent

this guy

is hard boiled

Fun fact, chickens can sometimes procreate through a form of parthenogenesis, which creates a "male" chicken, which allows them to mate. Something something ZW chromosomes. @Shivahn knows more about this I bet.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

this man speaks the truth and if you disagree with him you are attacking native americans

Well just call me Custer then.
    h1DI1.jpg
    aka life finds a way
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I love eggs but after that incident I stopped eating them for like a year.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    What to name this cleric...

Radical Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr

Hmm, going with an Arabic or Persian name could be fun.

If this is Neverwinter, there is a whole persian setting in Faerun called Al'Qadim.

Tons of cities and djinni and desert oasises and harems and shit.

You can totes do it AND be world accurate.

Man why are we all running around the mud farms of Castle Doofbridge then

Lame
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

When has that ever stopped anything?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

The day a government official in the US steps in to come up with an intelligent way to help poor people stretch a budget I will shit a literal brick.
    Lh96QHG.png
    (a layer is a chicken that is bred to lay eggs. a broiler is a chicken that is bred to be eaten. themoreyouknow.jpg)
    919UOwT.png
    Vodafone keeps sending me emails because some dude in the UK thinks that he has my email address. I've gotten Amazon.co.uk Gift Cards from his family members ( I notified Amazon, I am not a monster), the other day he made reservations for Hollywood Bowling (I resisted the urge to cancel for about 20 minutes) and I get his vodafone bill notifications and other spam.

I just clicked unsubscribe (again) and in the explanation field I typed this:

I don't even live in the UK you silly wankers.

That's what you say, right? Wankers?

Sod off.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

Come-on too tweaky?
    kaleedity wrote: »

WIC_Milk.png

Wait, what?

It's WIC

WIC_Eggs.png

this pun is eggscellent

this guy

is hard boiled

I can see your sunny side, up in this pun tree.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    2 hours 27 minutes remaining (34%)

shine on you crazy diamond, Windows 8 battery meter (it's really more like, 30 minutes)

it's an eggceedingly rare thing to happen

most large scale farms have a person (or a computer) with a light inspecting eggs as they go by and throwing out ones that have chicks gestating in them
    919UOwT.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

The day a government official in the US steps in to come up with an intelligent way to help poor people stretch a budget I will shit a literal brick.

like WIC?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Still waiting on governor walker to pass a law creating jobs or do something with education that can't be described with the word "gutting'

um the gutting is how he creates jobs duh
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    desc wrote: »

Come-on too tweaky?

don't feel it as much for some reason. Thinking it's an absorption issue re: my surgery. You would think that XR would be more of a problem there, but it's a two stage rocket and I might be getting more of the second stage at the very least, whereas the regular is shooting right through. But I am not a doctor. It could be mental.

As will I. I was just saying that, in principle, there is a rationale for it. In practice, it will never work in the USA, especially not while Republicans have an ounce of power.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    Also at some point you have to let people do what they will with the rope you extend.

You get X amount of money to buy groceries every month. Bring me the research that says food stamp families are blowing it all on organic eggs and lobster and maybe I'll be a little less flippant.

Calling brown eggs junk food makes one a dumbass and the desire to change rules like this does not come from a noble feeling of protecting people but from a desire to make sure that those filthy welfare slags know just how little their lives matter.
    Lh96QHG.png

it's an eggceedingly rare thing to happen

most large scale farms have a person (or a computer) with a light inspecting eggs as they go by and throwing out ones that have chicks gestating in them

This is also a reason to always crack your eggs into a bowl first, and not right into the pan.
    h1DI1.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Vodafone keeps sending me emails because some dude in the UK thinks that he has my email address. I've gotten Amazon.co.uk Gift Cards from his family members ( I notified Amazon, I am not a monster), the other day he made reservations for Hollywood Bowling (I resisted the urge to cancel for about 20 minutes) and I get his vodafone bill notifications and other spam.

I just clicked unsubscribe (again) and in the explanation field I typed this:

I don't even live in the UK you silly wankers.

That's what you say, right? Wankers?

Sod off.

You disappoint me.
    Think of all the cool shit that guy won't be buying on Amazon because you spent all his money.
    Think about when he shows up to bowl but there's a bunch of dip shit teenagers in his lane.
    Think about how the redcoats burned our sacred capitol and they deserve your torment.
    TTODewback on
    i know an inordinate amount about the poultry industry

when i was in b-school i had to do a commercial feasibility study on a vaccine for a virus that kills chickens
    919UOwT.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I am on a drug holiday

this is not nearly as fun as a normal holiday
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Actually, I think brown eggs are even more expensive than that. I picked up two dozen from costco over the weekend for $7. The 36 count white were considerably cheaper IIRC, but that was p much a non starter because what the fuck am I going to do with 36 eggs?

the same thing you're going to do with 24 eggs

only for one and a half times as long
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Assuming that the poor are so stupid that they need help determining how to spend government aid sounds like it goes against the rational free market that Republicans generally love to assume.

It also feels like a solution in search of a problem.

As will I. I was just saying that, in principle, there is a rationale for it. In practice, it will never work in the USA, especially not while Republicans have an ounce of power.

You are inventing the rationale for it though. That's not why they're doing this. So in this instance, with what we're talking about, it makes no sense.
    Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.