Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    If I make a female tiefling rogue I can be sexy nightcrawler right?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    so theres a bejeweled board game??
    must have it

Look at this post.

Then look at your sig, SIG
    yeah it looks realllly stupid and the commercial basically says it's only for girls which is insulting!
    NO.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    So someone explain this Neverwinter shit to me.

Like, what, they only have three seasons?

1. You're terrible

2. I've been talking to you all day like you never left. Holy shit,you're back. Did they finally let you out of the hospital?

3. Just awful.

The hospital?

they locked you up right?

Well that's what I've been telling everyone.

...wait I think I started believing my own lie. Where did you go?

Away.

I just took a break from the forums to go on a spirit journey.

I have ascended and now my journey is complete.

Yeah gonna stick with the hospital story. It's cooler. You kidnapped a hobo and made him farm money on Ragnarok so they locked you up.

The hobo died in the freezing temperatures later that year, so turns out you actually were kinda saving his life, so they let you go.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

1. You're terrible

2. I've been talking to you all day like you never left. Holy shit,you're back. Did they finally let you out of the hospital?

3. Just awful.

The hospital?

Away.

you still working down at that crazy cool bio lab?
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Also at some point you have to let people do what they will with the rope you extend.

You get X amount of money to buy groceries every month. Bring me the research that says food stamp families are blowing it all on organic eggs and lobster and maybe I'll be a little less flippant.

Calling brown eggs junk food makes one a dumbass and the desire to change rules like this does not come from a noble feeling of protecting people but from a desire to make sure that those filthy welfare slags know just how little their lives matter.

i don't think that brown eggs were considered "junk food" in this context. they were considered "luxury food".

yeah i agree that poor people buying things of "too-high quality" doesn't seem to be a huge problem from my extremely limited perspective of standing in line behind ladies paying with food stamp cards and wic coupons.

welfare policy is, as always, shot through with patronizing and punitive elements. part of the problem is that it serves a lot of purposes - it provides temporary assistance to people who are clawing their way up the ladder or are recovering from a setback, and i totally understand why those people resent the paternalism and restrictions.

but it's also there for long-term support for people who just can't or won't ever get their shit together and are basically incapable of making even the most basic of good life decisions. and basically restricting assistance to "basics that people need" doesn't seem like a horrible thing.
    Seriously tho, tell me about Neverwinter.

I think Echo said it best. Standard MMO but the combat is basically very MOBA-esque. All of your actions can be controlled with buttons radiating off of WASD and your mouse. Twitchy, real time-ish combat.

Right, but what is this stuff about making your own dungeons or am I confusing it with something else?

Because basically I want player created content up in here or I OUT.

You can create entire quests in a fairly sophisticated designer called the Foundry. I am working on one right now. Sniperguy made one.
    Seriously tho, tell me about Neverwinter.

I think Echo said it best. Standard MMO but the combat is basically very MOBA-esque. All of your actions can be controlled with buttons radiating off of WASD and your mouse. Twitchy, real time-ish combat.

Right, but what is this stuff about making your own dungeons or am I confusing it with something else?

Because basically I want player created content up in here or I OUT.

You can create entire quests in a fairly sophisticated designer called the Foundry. I am working on one right now. Sniperguy made one.

Yes yes this is what I want
    vspgsp.jpg
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    Two weeks ago, I sent out an email to all the Field Office the statistics on the amount of work completed by each of them. Some of it was abysmal, we got no reply, and my boss and I started getting worried if anyone else was actually doing any work. We started thinking of ways to incentivize the Field Offices into doing more work and trying to complete it before the deadline.

Today we had another discussion about it and I mentioned how it would be hilarious if after seeing the stats, Field Offices start doing more work simply to beat another office. I got the updates and we sent out another email today with the updated counts. One field office had a 580% improvement compared to two weeks ago. Their director sent an email saying how they're working their butts off to beat [X] Field Office, whom is currently in the lead.

It's working! We had a good laugh about it. It's the small things.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I hope Rick Scott doesn't find out I've been using food stamps to buy fresh vegetables, whole wheat bread, brown rice, and beans.

Someone should really come make sure I'm only getting maltomeal cereals, kraft dinner, and wonder bread.

whoa, wait

back the fuck up

why you hatin' on kraft dinner and wonder bread

no hate

just saying it perhaps isn't the healthiest of options

i love a good kraft dinner as much as the next poor kid
    Lh96QHG.png
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    If I make a female tiefling rogue I can be sexy nightcrawler right?

You can BAMF all over the place.

1. You're terrible

3. Just awful.

The hospital?

Away.

you still working down at that crazy cool bio lab?

Yessm

Probably playing hookie a little too much still but what can I say?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    if we're being honest lobster that is not fresh out of the ocean (like, you are eating it dockside) is not very good
    919UOwT.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    We bought eggs one time and a dead bird fell out of one.
    A little part of me died that day.

Fun fact, chickens can sometimes procreate through a form of parthenogenesis, which creates a "male" chicken, which allows them to mate. Something something ZW chromosomes. Shivahn knows more about this I bet.

I'm not sure I've heard of chickens doing parthenogenesis but birds are weird.

They do use ZW chromosomes though so the females have all the genes to make male chickens. So it's sort of reversed from mammals.
    Mim wrote: »
    I hope Rick Scott doesn't find out I've been using food stamps to buy fresh vegetables, whole wheat bread, brown rice, and beans.

Someone should really come make sure I'm only getting maltomeal cereals, kraft dinner, and wonder bread.

whoa, wait

back the fuck up

why you hatin' on kraft dinner and wonder bread

no hate

just saying it perhaps isn't the healthiest of options

i love a good kraft dinner as much as the next poor kid

the next poor kid can fucking get his own. Do his momma even know he here? We don't feed the neighborhood, boy, you tell your little friend to go home.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I don't think anyone established that people on SNAP were overspending on junk food

After all you probably buy less soda on food stamps in a typical family than a lower middle class family that is not on assistance buys

If the problem is "poor people are too fat" it should be dealt with on a general level not on a "oh look we can do anything to the food stamps people because fuck them nobody is gonna stand up for em"

it's more like "i'll help you pay for a healthy dinner, but i'll be damned if i'll pay for your booze"
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    if we're being honest lobster that is not fresh out of the ocean (like, you are eating it dockside) is not very good

lobster still in the ocean is even better

source: im a shark
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Why are people specifying brown eggs? Maybe I just came in late to the discussion but that makes no sense.
    I am almost positive AMFE has heard that above line before
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Also at some point you have to let people do what they will with the rope you extend.

You get X amount of money to buy groceries every month. Bring me the research that says food stamp families are blowing it all on organic eggs and lobster and maybe I'll be a little less flippant.

Calling brown eggs junk food makes one a dumbass and the desire to change rules like this does not come from a noble feeling of protecting people but from a desire to make sure that those filthy welfare slags know just how little their lives matter.

i don't think that brown eggs were considered "junk food" in this context. they were considered "luxury food".

yeah i agree that poor people buying things of "too-high quality" doesn't seem to be a huge problem from my extremely limited perspective of standing in line behind ladies paying with food stamp cards and wic coupons.

welfare policy is, as always, shot through with patronizing and punitive elements. part of the problem is that it serves a lot of purposes - it provides temporary assistance to people who are clawing their way up the ladder or are recovering from a setback, and i totally understand why those people resent the paternalism and restrictions.

but it's also there for long-term support for people who just can't or won't ever get their shit together and are basically incapable of making even the most basic of good life decisions. and basically restricting assistance to "basics that people need" doesn't seem like a horrible thing.

and saying "stop buying things that are better for you" is a pretty stupid long term choice to make.

It IS a horrible thing. We should be incentivizing "high quality" food purchases, not telling those stupid dirty poors they can just be happy with our processed junk. Because they really already are. And that is a problem for society.

Especially with the coming of more government provided healthcare.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Do I count as permanently dockside?
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I have a gut feeling that cash aid or near cash aid versus heavily restricted aid only for a few specific items is something favored by the masses but not actually backed up by research as actually being much more effective.
    Couscous on
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Why are people specifying brown eggs? Maybe I just came in late to the discussion but that makes no sense.

Where I live the cheapest brown eggs do cost a couple extra bucks more per dozen.

I think it falls into the same category as "they can buy store brand or breyer's ice cream, but fuck them spending money on ben and jerrys"
    meat.jpg

I wonder how many crayfish I can just grab from a tank and eat before I get fired.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I don't think anyone established that people on SNAP were overspending on junk food

After all you probably buy less soda on food stamps in a typical family than a lower middle class family that is not on assistance buys

If the problem is "poor people are too fat" it should be dealt with on a general level not on a "oh look we can do anything to the food stamps people because fuck them nobody is gonna stand up for em"

it's more like "i'll help you pay for a healthy dinner, but i'll be damned if i'll pay for your booze"

It's fine, absolutely fine, that this is the attitude you have toward it.

Too bad no one who is writing policy is taking that stance, and so we're arguing against it.
    Lh96QHG.png
    I am almost positive AMFE has heard that above line before

The people in my neighborhood were my extended family.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm livin' is the life for fucking nobody because it's awful.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

@Syndalis
    Do you agree?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Shivahn wrote: »

I wonder how many crayfish I can just grab from a tank and eat before I get fired.

Jesus the privilege. They're crawfish

and you don't just "grab them from the tank" do you even know how to purge them? Do you even know what purging is? God I bet you kill them before you cook them.

and you don't just "grab them from the tank" do you even know how to purge them? Do you even know what purging is? God I bet you kill them before you cook them.

Look if I cook them then the ethanol they are in will boil off.

Because I forgot to mention that part, they are sitting in tanks of ethanol.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

@Syndalis
    Do you agree?
    As someone who has eaten Maine lobster that was pulled out of Maine waters within an hour of being in the pot?

Yup.

source: someone who has eaten LIKE a shark.
    meat.jpg
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »

Where I live the cheapest brown eggs do cost a couple extra bucks more per dozen.

I think it falls into the same category as "they can buy store brand or breyer's ice cream, but fuck them spending money on ben and jerrys"

Except that white and brown eggs are completely, in every way, identical apart from the color. There is absolutely nothing that should make them more expensive. That is fucked up.
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    There is actually a nice USDA article describing why food restrictions are kind of stupid.
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/Published/snap/FILES/ProgramOperations/FSPFoodRestrictions.pdf

this is a good pdf
    Indeed, a good read. Thanks for sharing it.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    Basically most of what people are saying in [chat] is sensible.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about, unfortunately.

LuckyDuckyComic.png
    Lh96QHG.png
    I used to think Brown Eggs were fertilized eggs.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    That Wisconsin WIC thing reminds me of a thread I've been meaning to make:

Where do we libs (and let's be real, we're basically all dirty libs in D&D) draw the line in terms of gubmint intervention in people's lives? The specific thing that made me think of this is that apparently Obamacare in California will allow insurers to continue discriminate against smokers (read: tack on a surcharge for their health insurance). Maintaining the policy creates a situation where smokers either pay a substantially higher amount for healthcare, or go without healthcare because it's too expensive; if insurers aren't allow to discriminate against insurers, insurers are forced to foot the bill for people who iirc are statistically more likely to utilize healthcare and to some extent are not incentivized to quit smoking, which hurts not only them, but society in general when you factor in the costs that afaik they add in healthcare usage with or without insurance.
    network_sig2.png

Look if I cook them then the ethanol they are in will boil off.

Because I forgot to mention that part, they are sitting in tanks of ethanol.

What has science wrought
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Do I count as permanently dockside?

you are fat like whale so y
    919UOwT.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Any SQL people here? I've got a question if someone can help. I can do basic stuff but I don't have a lot of experience.
    What city should nightcrawlina be from?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i've eaten a piece of tuna off of a tuna that was still alive

that was good
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    i've eaten a piece of tuna off of a tuna that was still alive

that was good

you could taste the cruelty in every bite!
This discussion has been closed.