Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    if we're being honest lobster that is not fresh out of the ocean (like, you are eating it dockside) is not very good

lobster still in the ocean is even better

source: im a shark

I wonder how many crayfish I can just grab from a tank and eat before I get fired.

Jesus the privilege. They're crawfish

and you don't just "grab them from the tank" do you even know how to purge them? Do you even know what purging is? God I bet you kill them before you cook them.

Look if I cook them then the ethanol they are in will boil off.

Because I forgot to mention that part, they are sitting in tanks of ethanol.

What has science wrought

I dunno but it's fucking awesome.
    If I make a NW alt it'll probably be a tiefling rogue.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    That Wisconsin WIC thing reminds me of a thread I've been meaning to make:

Where do we libs (and let's be real, we're basically all dirty libs in D&D) draw the line in terms of gubmint intervention in people's lives? The specific thing that made me think of this is that apparently Obamacare in California will allow insurers to continue discriminate against smokers (read: tack on a surcharge for their health insurance). Maintaining the policy creates a situation where smokers either pay a substantially higher amount for healthcare, or go without healthcare because it's too expensive; if insurers aren't allow to discriminate against insurers, insurers are forced to foot the bill for people who iirc are statistically more likely to utilize healthcare and to some extent are not incentivized to quit smoking, which hurts not only them, but society in general when you factor in the costs that afaik they add in healthcare usage with or without insurance.

,': |
    Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Also at some point you have to let people do what they will with the rope you extend.

You get X amount of money to buy groceries every month. Bring me the research that says food stamp families are blowing it all on organic eggs and lobster and maybe I'll be a little less flippant.

Calling brown eggs junk food makes one a dumbass and the desire to change rules like this does not come from a noble feeling of protecting people but from a desire to make sure that those filthy welfare slags know just how little their lives matter.

i don't think that brown eggs were considered "junk food" in this context. they were considered "luxury food".

yeah i agree that poor people buying things of "too-high quality" doesn't seem to be a huge problem from my extremely limited perspective of standing in line behind ladies paying with food stamp cards and wic coupons.

welfare policy is, as always, shot through with patronizing and punitive elements. part of the problem is that it serves a lot of purposes - it provides temporary assistance to people who are clawing their way up the ladder or are recovering from a setback, and i totally understand why those people resent the paternalism and restrictions.

but it's also there for long-term support for people who just can't or won't ever get their shit together and are basically incapable of making even the most basic of good life decisions. and basically restricting assistance to "basics that people need" doesn't seem like a horrible thing.

and saying "stop buying things that are better for you" is a pretty stupid long term choice to make.

It IS a horrible thing. We should be incentivizing "high quality" food purchases, not telling those stupid dirty poors they can just be happy with our processed junk. Because they really already are. And that is a problem for society.

Especially with the coming of more government provided healthcare.

don't get me wrong - i'm absolutley all for incenting healthier or more high-quality choices through policy.

i'd be all for banning hamburger helper and canned ravioli from the food stamps/ wic program because i feel like it's worth the step up in funding to discourage people from poisoning themselves. on the other hand, grass-fed skirt steak is like $18/lb and that seems pretty extravagant for public assistance.

but there is a tradeoff with the cost of the program. ideally, the attempt would be to thread the needle of "cost-efficiency" and "incenting healthy food choices."
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Why are people specifying brown eggs? Maybe I just came in late to the discussion but that makes no sense.

Where I live the cheapest brown eggs do cost a couple extra bucks more per dozen.

I think it falls into the same category as "they can buy store brand or breyer's ice cream, but fuck them spending money on ben and jerrys"

Except that white and brown eggs are completely, in every way, identical apart from the color. There is absolutely nothing that should make them more expensive. That is fucked up.

In America at least, the factory packaged brown eggs cost more to produce because the hens bred to lay them require more feed, supposedly.

On the farm, where things aren;t so uniform, there is damn difference at all.
    meat.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Speaking of Food Stamps this was an excellent talk of the nation. It was on this exact topic and the people calling in on food stamps are not "the poors" that get pointed at by the anti-welfare folks.

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/25/179038260/signing-up-for-food-stamps
    falasig.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    if we're being honest lobster that is not fresh out of the ocean (like, you are eating it dockside) is not very good

Do I count as permanently dockside?

you are fat like whale so y

:cry:
    imma knife fight you
    switchblades at dawn
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Any SQL people here? I've got a question if someone can help. I can do basic stuff but I don't have a lot of experience.

hi
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @winky I can has explainin' neverwinter:

It's an MMO built around running (pretty darn well designed) instanced content of various forms like DDO or Guild Wars 1 (as opposed to lots of wandering around open areas like pre-endgame WoW or Guild Wars 2).

The combat is quite fast and involves positioning and reflexes to avoid attacks (AOEs and big attacks from mobs get marked on the ground and give you a sec to dodge out of the way). While playing you will wear right through the left mouse button with the constant clickclickclickclickclick. It does not feel like standard quick-bar-mmo combat.

There are some nice support features already like being able to access the auction house or set your minions to crafting stuff from a web app.

So, all good time so far. But there's a big downside. The business drones in charge of the "free to play" model for this game are completely fucking insane. Prices are about 10x what they should be. And every single little damn thing in the UI is pushing pushing pushing some form of their several overlapping kinds of funbucks. There's plain old gold. Which is used for buying a horse and maybe some potions? Not much. Then there's Astral Diamonds which you can get in measured amounts from certain daily quests and special promotions. A daily quest gives 1000 of these usually. Then there's the direct money funbucks in the form of "zen". A zen is 1 cent real money. You can trade astral diamonds for zen but the rates are absurd (some people think they may come down, I think probably not). A zen, or one penny, is 400-500 astral diamonds.

What makes this all suck is that things that cost zen, and that's a lot, are so overpriced. A single bag slot? $6 for a small and $10 for a large (no bag crafting for you like in WoW). Some of the mounts are $45. Making your armor glow blue? $5. Paying money makes crafted stuff have 20% better stats for the same item. 2 more character slots (you get two to start with) is $5. Respeccing is $6.

The biggest one is that your companions are level capped without spending real money. So if you want a companion that is actually useful in the end game (especially healers, which draw agro like woah and don't have enough HP to keep up while level capped) you are looking at $30+ fucking dollars

Basically, they have shit all over their pretty darn good game with a horrible FTP model.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I have been on NW every night and none of you people so much as make a peep in guild chat except p10 and desc
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Cleric is fun. Kinda ridiculous though. I rarely get hit, and when I do I can just heal the damage.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Where do we libs (and let's be real, we're basically all dirty libs in D&D) draw the line in terms of gubmint intervention in people's lives? The specific thing that made me think of this is that apparently Obamacare in California will allow insurers to continue discriminate against smokers (read: tack on a surcharge for their health insurance). Maintaining the policy creates a situation where smokers either pay a substantially higher amount for healthcare, or go without healthcare because it's too expensive; if insurers aren't allow to discriminate against insurers, insurers are forced to foot the bill for people who iirc are statistically more likely to utilize healthcare and to some extent are not incentivized to quit smoking, which hurts not only them, but society in general when you factor in the costs that afaik they add in healthcare usage with or without insurance.

Right now we're in a position where we rely mostly on private insurers, so not much control there. If private insurers want to charge a surcharge for an arbitrary reason, that's their right (as long as they remain within the bounds of discrimination laws). And the government then needs to take those market conditions into consideration instead of pretending they don't exist. If we switched over to a modern, government-based healthcare system, the government could drop smoker discrimination (which I dislike because it sets a bad precedent) and switch over to a functionally equivalent sin tax on cigarettes (which is better).
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    I have been on NW every night and none of you people so much as make a peep in guild chat except p10 and desc

We have a guild?
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

I said "basically" !

That wasn't a normative statement that being not-a-lib is a bad thing -- just a reflection of my impression of D&D based on pretty much every politics thread I've posted in.
    network_sig2.png
    Why are people specifying brown eggs? Maybe I just came in late to the discussion but that makes no sense.

Where I live the cheapest brown eggs do cost a couple extra bucks more per dozen.

I think it falls into the same category as "they can buy store brand or breyer's ice cream, but fuck them spending money on ben and jerrys"

Except that white and brown eggs are completely, in every way, identical apart from the color. There is absolutely nothing that should make them more expensive. That is fucked up.

yeah i was just going to ask this

brown eggs were cheaper when i was a kid because people found them uglier. but they taste just the same as the white ones

i guess they're a little worse at making easter egss
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-28/cash-better-than-food-stamps-in-helping-poor-commentary-by-edward-glaeser.html
    The conventional economic logic is that cash transfers are more effective at helping the poor than in-kind gifts, such as food stamps and housing vouchers. I am grateful for the freedom I enjoy when spending my earnings; surely, aid recipients also like autonomy. They can choose the spending that best fits their needs if they are given unrestricted income. In “Free to Choose,” this logic led Milton and Rose Friedman to argue for “replacing the ragbag of specific programs with a single comprehensive program of income supplements in cash.”
    This will of course never happen for various reasons.

I stopped watching guild chat when I realized everyone in it was from the MMO forum and annoyed the shit out of me.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

*beep boop*
    Lapse in love of government detected. Report to the nearest re-education camp. Hail, Big Government!
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Speaking of Food Stamps this was an excellent talk of the nation. It was on this exact topic and the people calling in on food stamps are not "the poors" that get pointed at by the anti-welfare folks.

I'm on food stamps right meow.
    network_sig2.png
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular

can't you have some of that UAE oil money western unioned over, or do the morality police in Dubai keep arresting the office workers?
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

brown eggs were cheaper when i was a kid because people found them uglier. but they taste just the same as the white ones

Here if you buy a box of eggs they will generally be a mix of colours.

I had assumed that "brown eggs" was being used as some kind of shorthand for something like organic or cornfed.

I am against this whole fucking heartedly. It's a dumb "fuck smokers, no one likes them anyway" move that gets easy support, but is much less actuarially effective than simple age banding.

#FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    GAAAAHHHHHHHH

Almost beat Gradius III on arcade difficulty but died when I had a momentary lapse.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Also at some point you have to let people do what they will with the rope you extend.

You get X amount of money to buy groceries every month. Bring me the research that says food stamp families are blowing it all on organic eggs and lobster and maybe I'll be a little less flippant.

Calling brown eggs junk food makes one a dumbass and the desire to change rules like this does not come from a noble feeling of protecting people but from a desire to make sure that those filthy welfare slags know just how little their lives matter.

i don't think that brown eggs were considered "junk food" in this context. they were considered "luxury food".

yeah i agree that poor people buying things of "too-high quality" doesn't seem to be a huge problem from my extremely limited perspective of standing in line behind ladies paying with food stamp cards and wic coupons.

welfare policy is, as always, shot through with patronizing and punitive elements. part of the problem is that it serves a lot of purposes - it provides temporary assistance to people who are clawing their way up the ladder or are recovering from a setback, and i totally understand why those people resent the paternalism and restrictions.

but it's also there for long-term support for people who just can't or won't ever get their shit together and are basically incapable of making even the most basic of good life decisions. and basically restricting assistance to "basics that people need" doesn't seem like a horrible thing.

My nephew is permanantly disabled, can never drive or work 80% of jobs

Why should he be restricted to basics, other than by total amount of funds, exactly?
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    so finished the wire season 2
    omar da best

Stringer playing with fire

cops always one step behind

Daniels has huge pecks

nothing ever changes

Frank :(
    NO.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Here if you buy a box of eggs they will generally be a mix of colours.

I had assumed that "brown eggs" was being used as some kind of shorthand for something like organic or cornfed.

A blend of old fashioned breeding, hormones, steroids, food selection and genetic modification have allowed us to make millions of eggs uniform in color and size without a large amount of hassle.
    meat.jpg
    basically if Neverwinter was $50 up front and had a $15/month fee I'd gladly pay it.

But with their FTP model they are trying damn hard to extract more than a subscription fee + box cost from every player.

i smoked for like 18 years. it was hard to quit, and i probably wouldn't have if cigarettes hadn't climbed to like $9/pack in mass.

i'm basically fine with government benefits and tax structures being built around incentivizing good/ healthy life decisions - quitting smoking, losing weight, eating well, taking care of their kids, getting education, etc.

i'm not really sure where i'd draw the upper line on that. i was fine with the aborted NYC big gulp ban, which seems to be beyond-the-pale gummint paternalism to a whole lot of people.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Any SQL people here? I've got a question if someone can help. I can do basic stuff but I don't have a lot of experience.
    yo

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-28/cash-better-than-food-stamps-in-helping-poor-commentary-by-edward-glaeser.html
    The conventional economic logic is that cash transfers are more effective at helping the poor than in-kind gifts, such as food stamps and housing vouchers. I am grateful for the freedom I enjoy when spending my earnings; surely, aid recipients also like autonomy. They can choose the spending that best fits their needs if they are given unrestricted income. In “Free to Choose,” this logic led Milton and Rose Friedman to argue for “replacing the ragbag of specific programs with a single comprehensive program of income supplements in cash.”

I distrust anything that's sold to me with no rationale except that it is "conventional wisdom", and doubly so when it deals with economics.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular

Where do we libs (and let's be real, we're basically all dirty libs in D&D) draw the line in terms of gubmint intervention in people's lives? The specific thing that made me think of this is that apparently Obamacare in California will allow insurers to continue discriminate against smokers (read: tack on a surcharge for their health insurance). Maintaining the policy creates a situation where smokers either pay a substantially higher amount for healthcare, or go without healthcare because it's too expensive; if insurers aren't allow to discriminate against smokers, insurers are forced to foot the bill for people who iirc are statistically more likely to utilize healthcare and to some extent are not incentivized to quit smoking, which hurts not only them, but society in general when you factor in the costs that afaik they add in healthcare usage with or without insurance.

I certainly wouldn't call it "discrimination" in the way we normally use that word.

I can't really think of a good argument against the surcharge from an "excessive government intervention" point of view. This is pretty much a perfect example of the Free Market(tm) at work.
    ...switch over to a functionally equivalent sin tax on cigarettes (which is better).

This is what we do now, though I think the amount of tax varies heavily state to state (on top of the federal and local taxes). The downside is that cigarette smoking is, iirc, the most prevalent among lower-SES people, so any further surcharges or taxes will disproportionately target lower-income people.

But anyway, do you jerks think this would make a good thread? Or would we just go in circles?
    network_sig2.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

I am against this whole fucking heartedly. It's a dumb "fuck smokers, no one likes them anyway" move that gets easy support, but is much less actuarially effective than simple age banding.

Car insurance companies charge someone with an expensive car and points on their license more than someone with an econobox and no violations. The same should apply to health insurance and people who do things that endanger their health purposefully.
    h1DI1.jpg
    edited May 2013

Sure, let's start a pilot program for this in Atlantic City.
    :rotate:
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    ...switch over to a functionally equivalent sin tax on cigarettes (which is better).

This is what we do now, though I think the amount of tax varies heavily state to state (on top of the federal and local taxes). The downside is that cigarette smoking is, iirc, the most prevalent among lower-SES people, so any further surcharges or taxes will disproportionately target lower-income people.

But anyway, do you jerks think this would make a good thread? Or would we just go in circles?

We always go in circles here, but I would participate.
    meat.jpg
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Toblerone is sooo good guys

just fyi

i am gonna try it out tomorrow night. i'll holler at you
    Richy wrote: »

I distrust anything that's sold to me with no rationale except that it is "conventional wisdom", and doubly so when it deals with economics.

Conventional wisdom is even worse when applied to psychology, biology, or quantum mechanics though.

can't you have some of that UAE oil money western unioned over, or do the morality police in Dubai keep arresting the office workers?

I was only in Dubai for the fall semester, and racked up like $5500 in credit card debt because of it.

If I was actually Emirati I wouldn't shut up about it because it'd be so effin' sweet. Instead, I just don't shut up about being Pakistani.
    network_sig2.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

there are threads that don't go in circles?

i would follow it but i am not a super active poster so
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
This discussion has been closed.