Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I'm a - for 35 years I've been a certified financial planner professionally. This is what I do. And I have a double whammy when nine months ago I had to apply for food stamps because my income has dropped by 98 percent over the last six years due to the economy. And I'm still living in a beautiful gated community, which I bought 20-some years ago when I was making three and four hundred thousand dollars a year.

So I'm surrounded by very staunch conservative people who consistently talk down about food stamp recipients, and I cannot say one word out loud. Also because I am a certified financial planner, if word got out that I was on food stamps, none of my neighbors would approach me to buy retirement products or annuities or life insurance or anything.

Can you only imagine your trusted advisor himself is on food stamps? So I have a double whammy where I must remain incommunicado. I must sit and listen while they condemn others that are on food stamps, including other neighbors that word has leaked out are on them. So it's a very, very, very difficult situation.

I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, he needs food. On the other hand, he still owns a beautiful luxury house six years after treading water.

Which he has presumably paid in full when he was earning a good salary. Which he makes it sound like is a status symbol that makes customers of his neighbours. And I'd call it a bad financial move to sell an asset for a non-renewable short-term financial boost. So, I don't share your conflict.

With the typical ~$130 a month in benefits, the food stamps are going will offset his property tax payment for his luxury house that year. He must be out of savings to qualify for public assistance.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I love Schmups in general but man I REALLY love the Gradius series. Just dropped $40 to get a used copy of Gradius V for PS2
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Spoke on the phone with a recruiter today

he seemed impressed and is giving me some sample resumes so I can look less like a phony who will certainly die alone (my words, not his)
    eokNV.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    god damn it universe just move me already >:C
    if the universe won't move you

perhaps you should move the universe
    Per3th.jpg
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    also my laptop is on the fritz just after it came out of warranty yay
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I mean, let's be real here.

When you're poor you go into a store and you have X amount of money for Y days.

You get foods that are cheap, that will keep, and that take very little prep time.

That is the real problem with food stamps, not people spending too much on "high quality" food. The fact that we act like it's anything different is one of the greatest achievements of the Republican party in the last 40 years.

yeah - i absolutely agree that public assistance should be structured (and funded!) to encourage better/ healthier choices rather than the other way around.

i just have a hard time getting too outraged at WIC restricting "organic milk" or "brown eggs"

"Outraged" is a pretty strong and inaccurate word for what has been happening in here.

My only point is that it is a stupid and pointless restriction made by people who are far more concerned with making sure that welfare is as insulting and difficult to get as possible than by actually helping poor people in any way.

yeah i definitely don't agree with making public assistance punitive or humiliating. i've known a ton of people for whom public assistance got them through a rough spot and improved their lives immensely.

hell, i was on unemployment for almost six months - had it not been there, i would have had a hard time keeping my house. now i'm working again and paying taxes.

i do get why conservatives are bothered by able-bodied people who spend their entire lives on public assistance. i've known a few and, while i certainly didn't envy the lives they'd carved out for themselves, it was still pretty annoying.

i'm honestly not sure the best thing to do about those people, and i resent the fact that public frustration with them bleeds over to everyone taking public assistance.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Man, couch to 5k is getting serious here.

Today I run three laps, walk one, run three more and Friday I just run two miles.

That doesn't sound like a lot, but five weeks ago I had been running none feet a week.

Go go go super soldier

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/capshield5.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Today I run three laps, walk one, run three more and Friday I just run two miles.

That doesn't sound like a lot, but five weeks ago I had been running none feet a week.

Its a good program.

Are you seeing results on your body / on the scale yet?

Definitely seeing results on my body. Moobs are all but gone now and there is definition appearing. And according to the scale last night I have lost 9 pounds since I started.

I am also eating less, in fact barely any, red meat and cut out all but diet soda (for the caffeine and because water gets boring) and eating high fiber and high nutrient foods as well as doing some free weight stuff and walking on my "off" days.

It's a good program for sure.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    It is designed to strike you as reasonable. Just like arguments from debt scolds are designed to seem reasonable and the immigrant fear about visas and white collar workers are designed to seem reasonable.

But when you take it apart and examine what is happening, it's just dumb.

I would love to see numbers on how many WIC dollars are spent per year on organic milk and brown eggs.

"Hooray! With this bold, innovative new commonsense approach to WIC, we will save the taxpayers of Wisconsin $204.78!"
    network_sig2.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    if you are on food stamps you only get the puffed wheat Os (and no honey flavor!)
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It sounds reasonable but isn't actually effective at whatever it is designed to do. That is why shit should never be passed on what sounds reasonable.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    also if you're poor you no longer get to make ethical food choices yay

Poor people don't make ethical food choices because they can't afford to.

It is such a limited thing that the fact that a government is wasting its time trying to fight it is mind-boggling to me.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    I love Schmups in general but man I REALLY love the Gradius series. Just dropped $40 to get a used copy of Gradius V for PS2

do the later games (after 3 on the snes) keep the voice bits like OPTION
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

: o

*gyrates suggestively*
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    It is designed to strike you as reasonable. Just like arguments from debt scolds are designed to seem reasonable and the immigrant fear about visas and white collar workers are designed to seem reasonable.

I would love to see numbers on how many WIC dollars are spent per year on organic milk and brown eggs.

"Hooray! With this bold, innovative new commonsense approach to WIC, we will save the taxpayers of Wisconsin $204.78!"

Is that including the cost of implementing the restrictions?
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Some guy here took two guys out for a test drive for the truck he was selling, now hes missing

crazy shit man

Like, actually missing?
    h1DI1.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    woo i passed both of my classes and am continuing on with honors

now i really have zero reason to consider leaving school and working full time :|
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Its a good program.

Are you seeing results on your body / on the scale yet?

Definitely seeing results on my body. Moobs are all but gone now and there is definition appearing. And according to the scale last night I have lost 9 pounds since I started.

I am also eating less, in fact barely any, red meat and cut out all but diet soda (for the caffeine and because water gets boring) and eating high fiber and high nutrient foods as well as doing some free weight stuff and walking on my "off" days.

It's a good program for sure.

try water "enhancers" like Mio.

They basically taste like Kool aid, but zero calorie and with a sweetener that isn't horrifying
    meat.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

Poor people don't make ethical food choices because they can't afford to.

It is such a limited thing that the fact that a government is wasting its time trying to fight it is mind-boggling to me.

I know, which is why it's so stupid to be like "WE'RE GONNA MAKE SURE YOU CAN'T BUY ANYTHING ORGANIC"

if they are, it's very limited and only what they deem most important to buy organic!
    NO.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    if you are on food stamps you only get the puffed wheat Os (and no honey flavor!)

you can get the bootstrap flavored colon blow though

You get foods that are cheap, that will keep, and that take very little prep time.

That is the real problem with food stamps, not people spending too much on "high quality" food. The fact that we act like it's anything different is one of the greatest achievements of the Republican party in the last 40 years.

yeah - i absolutely agree that public assistance should be structured (and funded!) to encourage better/ healthier choices rather than the other way around.

i just have a hard time getting too outraged at WIC restricting "organic milk" or "brown eggs"

"Outraged" is a pretty strong and inaccurate word for what has been happening in here.

My only point is that it is a stupid and pointless restriction made by people who are far more concerned with making sure that welfare is as insulting and difficult to get as possible than by actually helping poor people in any way.

yeah i definitely don't agree with making public assistance punitive or humiliating. i've known a ton of people for whom public assistance got them through a rough spot and improved their lives immensely.

hell, i was on unemployment for almost six months - had it not been there, i would have had a hard time keeping my house. now i'm working again and paying taxes.

i do get why conservatives are bothered by able-bodied people who spend their entire lives on public assistance. i've known a few and, while i certainly didn't envy the lives they'd carved out for themselves, it was still pretty annoying.

i'm honestly not sure the best thing to do about those people, and i resent the fact that public frustration with them bleeds over to everyone taking public assistance.

I mean, I'm sure these people exist.

But in what numbers? Numbers sufficient to punish everyone else who has "legitimate" need for public assistance?

See: Rick Scott spending ($300,000? of) taxypayers' money drug-testing welfare recipients and finding that like 2% of them smoke pot.
    network_sig2.png
    Couscous wrote: »
    I find it kind of funny because most of the research suggests that food stamps increase expenditures on food more than the equivalent in cash aid. This is seen as a good thing unless you apparently think the poor should be living on nothing but gruel like Wisconsin. If the goal is to teach those poors to spend less money, cash aid is the way to go. If the goal is to get people to spend more money on food for nutritional reasons, food stamps are more effective.

i don't know all the details of the wisconsin policy and i think that walker is an asshole from what i know of him

but to be fair, the two examples given of the wisconsin wic restrictions were "you can't use your milk coupon on boutique organic milk which is often twice as expensive as the basic stuff" and "you can't use your egg coupon on brown eggs, which are more expensive for no goddamned reason at all"

those strike me as reasonable.

what if they want to buy the organic milk and brown eggs in an effort to be healthier? they'll have less money to spend on other foods, which means they'll compensate for it by buying cheaper something else, sure. but what's the concern here? dang those poors are gonna buy organic milk instead of baby formula?

I just don't get the point except that it makes people feel guilty and lesser for being on welfare, because we tell them they aren't even worth organic milk.

WIC is coupon based. the point is to keep costs down - you can buy two jugs of non-organic milk for the cost of one jug of organic milk. brown eggs are not any more healthy than white eggs - they just cost more.

WIC is coupon based exactly because of concerns that some people will use the money on X thing rather than baby formula. It's intended as food support for women with dependent children.

i don't think it's principally intended to humiliate people, but maybe i'm wrong.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »

do the later games (after 3 on the snes) keep the voice bits like OPTION

Oh yes. In Gradius V they are called Multiples. The only issue I have with V is it devolves into bullet hell a couple times.

Is that including the cost of implementing the restrictions?

No.

Because "We saved the taxpayers -$2,538.43" doesn't focus-group as well for whatever reason.
    network_sig2.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    There's a lotta really awesome freakonomis about government aid and the signals and data we have on it. I was listening to the most recent one about obesity, and they were touching on the food stamps/obesity in kids issue. Do you think that just relabeling obesity/fat as malnourished would make lower socio-economic ladder parents more likely to educate themselves about food?

That is what the real debate is, unless you wanna start talking mercantilism.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I chose to come in earlier than normal for my tiny between classes shift and the second I sit down the CIO comes by and tells me we lost one of the datacenters and demands to know what happened, rest of team is on break so im the only one hear

uh

yes.
    It is incentivizing a less healthy lifestyle.

THAT is the problem.

the "no organic milk" and "no brown eggs" with wic vouchers?

i guess i don't understand how organic milk or brown eggs have anything to do with a healthy lifestyle when compared to conventional milk or white eggs.
    The short term goal is to be able to complete the running event at a local festival in the fall, so eventually I'm just gonna be running multiple miles every day, but couch to 5k has definitely been the kick I needed to get serious.

I am down to my high school weight of 285 from my college senior/grad school depression weight of 320.

It's a pretty good feel.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Me, I just love the irony that arises when you couple STARVE THE BEAST KEEP GUBMINT OFFA MAH LAWN with FUCK THE WELFARE QUEENS.

Like, it's fucking funny how much gubmint oversight is A-OKAY when it fucks over poor people.
    But a lot of that weight loss isn't from this program, just generally not hate eating a pizza every day.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I mean, I'm sure these people exist.

But in what numbers? Numbers sufficient to punish everyone else who has "legitimate" need for public assistance?

See: Rick Scott spending ($300,000? of) taxypayers' money drug-testing welfare recipients and finding that like 2% of them smoke pot.

The important thing to remember about this one is that he has a large stake in the company that was mandated to perform the testing.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Dammit, this code is running ridiculously slowly in Python because it has four levels of loops in it. But I can't see a way to break it up.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

THAT is the problem.

i guess i don't understand how organic milk or brown eggs have anything to do with a healthy lifestyle when compared to conventional milk or white eggs.

nobody takes WIC in the town I live in because of the restrictions on it and the hassle, I frequently drive my car-less neighbor 25 minutes to the nearest wal-mart so she can pick stuff up for her kids

they can get stuff with their food stamps in town though, it remains to be seen if they will be able to after the changes are implemented
    I find it kind of funny because most of the research suggests that food stamps increase expenditures on food more than the equivalent in cash aid. This is seen as a good thing unless you apparently think the poor should be living on nothing but gruel like Wisconsin. If the goal is to teach those poors to spend less money, cash aid is the way to go. If the goal is to get people to spend more money on food for nutritional reasons, food stamps are more effective.

i don't know all the details of the wisconsin policy and i think that walker is an asshole from what i know of him

but to be fair, the two examples given of the wisconsin wic restrictions were "you can't use your milk coupon on boutique organic milk which is often twice as expensive as the basic stuff" and "you can't use your egg coupon on brown eggs, which are more expensive for no goddamned reason at all"

i thought soy milk was also in the excluded list?

so i personally kind of think that soy milk is bullshit, but yeah i don't see a good reason to exclude it from the voucher, especially for people with lactose intolerance or whatever.

THAT is the problem.

It's also soy milk and organic anything and reusable containers and any number of completely pointless caveats to food assistant.

And again, if they're serious about stopping junk food consumption, where are the restrictions chef boyardee and oreos?

You gotta peel back the banana to see how full of shit these people are sometimes.
    Lh96QHG.png

you don't get to be too picky at the soup kitchen, i guess.
    But a lot of that weight loss isn't from this program, just generally not hate eating a pizza every day.

Honestly, diet is like 80-90% of weight loss. Being active will help you burn more calories and create a larger caloric deficit, as well as hold onto and build muscle mass that will itself consume more calories. I hit a plateau with my weight loss, and literally as soon as I quit soda cold turkey, another 10 lbs. fell off almost instantly.

It was like a wizard stole my love handles.
    network_sig2.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    That Wisconsin WIC thing reminds me of a thread I've been meaning to make:

Where do we libs (and let's be real, we're basically all dirty libs in D&D) draw the line in terms of gubmint intervention in people's lives? The specific thing that made me think of this is that apparently Obamacare in California will allow insurers to continue discriminate against smokers (read: tack on a surcharge for their health insurance). Maintaining the policy creates a situation where smokers either pay a substantially higher amount for healthcare, or go without healthcare because it's too expensive; if insurers aren't allow to discriminate against insurers, insurers are forced to foot the bill for people who iirc are statistically more likely to utilize healthcare and to some extent are not incentivized to quit smoking, which hurts not only them, but society in general when you factor in the costs that afaik they add in healthcare usage with or without insurance.

I am against this whole fucking heartedly. It's a dumb "fuck smokers, no one likes them anyway" move that gets easy support, but is much less actuarially effective than simple age banding.

Car insurance companies charge someone with an expensive car and points on their license more than someone with an econobox and no violations. The same should apply to health insurance and people who do things that endanger their health purposefully.

Health insurance is nothing like car insurance.

You slider your car around a tree without insurance and you don't get a new car.
    You collapse on the street without insurance and you will be taken to a hospital and treated.

Having points on your license means you're a bad driver.
    Being born with a congenital condition that puts you at a much greater risk than a smoker doesn't mean you're bad at being a person.

Smokers are easy targets because no one likes them, but 50+ non smokers are much greater health risks than <35 smokers.

Which is why I said "people who do things that endanger their health purposefully."

<- born with a congenital heart defect.
    @matt has a problem

So do fatties, people who ski, motorcyclists, drug users, drinkers, etc...

Smokers are an easy target, but a pretty silly one since they're already being taxed $BLOOMBERG for the cigarettes anyway, and creating disincentives and penalties for people purchasing health insurance is crazy pants.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

what if they want to buy the organic milk and brown eggs in an effort to be healthier? they'll have less money to spend on other foods, which means they'll compensate for it by buying cheaper something else, sure. but what's the concern here? dang those poors are gonna buy organic milk instead of baby formula?

I just don't get the point except that it makes people feel guilty and lesser for being on welfare, because we tell them they aren't even worth organic milk.

WIC is coupon based. the point is to keep costs down - you can buy two jugs of non-organic milk for the cost of one jug of organic milk. brown eggs are not any more healthy than white eggs - they just cost more.

WIC is coupon based exactly because of concerns that some people will use the money on X thing rather than baby formula. It's intended as food support for women with dependent children.

i don't think it's principally intended to humiliate people, but maybe i'm wrong.

WIC isn't, no, but the things that Republicans are doing to the program absolutely are.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

: o

*gyrates suggestively*

**universe backs away slowly**

congratulations?
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
This discussion has been closed.