Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Fine, just come to Chicago then. We can go to the Violet Hour and you can see our mixologists. They use egg whites, and egg yellows, and egg shells...
    tea-1.jpg
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    WoW loses 1.3 million subscribers in the first quarter

Not the end of WoW but it is interesting.

I wonder just how disciplined is Activision's pledge not to mess about with Blizzard

Not very?

See Diablo 3.

why what did activision do there

Would say the real money auction house. No proof on that though. But it didn't seem very traditional Blizzard.

I would say it has been moving in that direction for a while.

the steady complaint of the diablo 2 community for the latter part of the ten years in which Diablo 3 coalesced into something concrete was: do something about d2jsp

which straightforwardly leads to an RMAH. I don't think you need to blame activision there
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

I wonder just how disciplined is Activision's pledge not to mess about with Blizzard

Not very?

See Diablo 3.

Would say the real money auction house. No proof on that though. But it didn't seem very traditional Blizzard.

And the wheel keeps on spinning...
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Hopefully WoW shrinks back to the point where developers stop obsessing over making "WoW clones killers".
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Hopefully WoW shrinks back to the point where developers stop obsessing over making "WoW clones killers".

I'm not sure if it's because developers are trying to beat WoW at their own game or if it's because developers are dull and not very clever. Or maybe I can substitute in 'publishers'.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

Not very?

See Diablo 3.

the steady complaint of the diablo 2 community for the latter part of the ten years in which Diablo 3 coalesced into something concrete was: do something about d2jsp

which straightforwardly leads to an RMAH. I don't think you need to blame activision there

Consider as well, this curious case.

How does one do a rollback on a RMAH when bugs like this crop up and fuck the economy more then it was already?
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

Not very?

See Diablo 3.

Less the development of it, more the shoddy role out and pressure to get it out. The whole putting out unfinished products thing is the antithesis of the Blizzard model.

I see more publishers hands then developers hands.

But of course Blizzard is not the blizzard it was a when it became the "Blizzard." Big shifts in developers, producers and writers.
    falasig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    girls tweeting daniel tosh to ask him to take them to prom. he videochats with them on the show.

How old are you?
    I'm 17, I'll be 18 on June 5th.
    Well... I hope your prom is June 6th.
    Also:
    Speaking at his GDC panel entitled Shout at the Devil: The Making of Diablo III back in March, former game director Jay Wilson conceded the controversial Real-Money Auction House hadn't panned out the way Blizzard thought it would, admitting it was "the wrong solution" to the problems Blizzard was trying to solve and that they'd probably pull the plug if it were an easy thing to do.

link
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    yeah I can't play this Neverwinter game

can't ask questions about the game in chat, game is filled with bots grinding astral diamonds, everyone only talks about wow

ugh, I hate new mmos so much
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I maybe shouldn't have had this second mint julep

Hoo boy

can't ask questions about the game in chat, game is filled with bots grinding astral diamonds, everyone only talks about wow

First rule of mmos, turn off general chat.
    falasig.png
    they thought it would work out like d2jsp, only with the money flowing into blizzard's hands rather than a frankly scummy third-party site, I think
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    hello folks
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oooh

I do believe I have a lamb coming in in the morning

Sweeeeet, gonna have so many lamb-themed specials :D

Not very?

See Diablo 3.

Less the development of it, more the shoddy role out and pressure to get it out. The whole putting out unfinished products thing is the antithesis of the Blizzard model.

I see more publishers hands then developers hands.

But of course Blizzard is not the blizzard it was a when it became the "Blizzard." Big shifts in developers, producers and writers.

For example, a not insignificant number of Blizzard devs have gone on to create games that have, at least in theory, attempted to directly compete with Blizzard's games, after having helped create them. A lot of people at ArenaNet made Guild Wars 1 and 2 and worked on WC3 and early WoW, the people running Wildstar's dev team are from Blizzard's Vanilla WoW days, Torchlight 2 was made by people who made Diablo, etc.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I guess I should call some of these places I sent in applications tomorrow.

Also my fridge is leaking rusty water everywhere.

Maybe I'll just sleep till noon.

I'm never sure when I should do it. Especially considering several of them are jobs that looked interesting on indeed.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    sc2 wol showed me that blizzard sux now

First rule of mmos, turn off general chat.

There's a reason I survived Barrens Chat after the thousandth Chuck Norris joke.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Oooh

this puzzled me until I remembered that you're a professional cook

I've enjoyed the little I've played of Guild Wars 2!
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I'm never sure when I should do it. Especially considering several of them are jobs that looked interesting on indeed.

I have gotten positive feed back from three jobs. One of which is the job I have now, two of which disappeared or auto DQ'd me on the web application.

The other hundred thousands just fitter out into the wind.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Sarksus wrote: »

I'm not sure if it's because developers are trying to beat WoW at their own game or if it's because developers are dull and not very clever. Or maybe I can substitute in 'publishers'.

I don't think anyone wants to try and do that anymore anyways except maybe Wildstar (which is adding as well a lot of stuff WoW never had and probably never will) and Elder Scrolls Online (those poor bastards). A near decade of dead MMOs and F2P failures has finally caught up with stubborn minds and lazy solutions to age old MMO problems.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Buzzfeed is very distracting.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

I have gotten positive feed back from three jobs. One of which is the job I have now, two of which disappeared or auto DQ'd me on the web application.

The other hundred thousands just fitter out into the wind.

They sure do flitter. Maybe I'll just give one of them a call. "Hey there, this is DoctorArch. I applied for a job there and haven't heard anything in several weeks. I'm awesome and you should hire me. Why don't you get started on that?"
    Of Blizzards recent stuff only SC2 is really fun to me. WoL was a fun little campaign and I got a bit of time out of the multiplayer. Heart of the Swarm was a much better campaign and a lot of fun. I even have gotten into some multiplayer again.

But really they were always best when making RTS games in my opinion, all else was a distraction.
    falasig.png

Hit cap and then go to Southsun Isle or Arah. Or maybe run fractals a few hundred times. Run out of jumping puzzles.

Then see how pretty your princess and her toys are.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oooh

And getting a whole lamb delivered is still an extravagance! (at least for a restaurant this size)

But it ultimately saves us on cost and I can do so many things!
    I refuse to be bitter over GW2 after hyping it for years and having fun with it for a few months, but I can say I am continuing to be disappointed in ArenaNet's lack of seemingly any real solution to a lot of the problems the game has at it's cap.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    @jacobkosh

have you ever heard of 'caroline and jackie'

@organichu

no, is it about the kennedys or something?
    Corehealer wrote: »

Hit cap and then go to Southsun Isle or Arah. Or maybe run fractals a few hundred times. Run out of jumping puzzles.

It entirely depends on whether you view an MMO as something you're supposed to be playing consistently for months or years. If I did all of that content I'd have been playing for a few hundred hours, and I never play regular videogames that long, much less MMOs. Tribes 2, Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars 2 are probably the three games I've played the most of, and it's about 100-200 hours for each.

I still think GW2 is an excellent casual MMO that cuts down on a ton of the nonsense that the genre usually pushes. I don't play it often, but I've played it longer than most games I've bought, so I think that's a win.

I still play GW2, have a capped character. Never touched a fractal. Never really farmed Arah.

I still enjoy my rogue. I enjoy wvw as a fun distraction. Do spvp at times. GW2's model of buy and no subscription makes it a perfect mmo for me. Something I can have a life and load up when I want some stabby fun.

STO is the other modern MMO that I feel this way about. I have 3 max level characters. I have run most things to death but still have fun exploring the universe, flying my ship and being a Star Trek nerd.
    falasig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    jacobkosh

have you ever heard of 'caroline and jackie'

organichu

no, is it about the kennedys or something?

nah, apparently it's about two random sisters- an exploration of their relationship. it is about mental illness and viewer perception i guess- the film is laid out like this, but what if the protagonist or narrator is unreliable etc?

apparently it came out last year but i hadn't heard of it until recently. sounds interesting to me.
    Oooh

And getting a whole lamb delivered is still an extravagance! (at least for a restaurant this size)

But it ultimately saves us on cost and I can do so many things!

are you going to have to slaughter it

hope not
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    My folks apparently bought a fourth of a cow for this summer.

I am excite.
    I need to roll up some new characters in GW2 tho, I never really messed with the rogue that much. Only a bit in beta.

It entirely depends on whether you view an MMO as something you're supposed to be playing consistently for months or years. If I did all of that content I'd have been playing for a few hundred hours, and I never play regular videogames that long, much less MMOs. Tribes 2, Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars 2 are probably the three games I've played the most of, and it's about 100-200 hours for each.

I still think GW2 is an excellent casual MMO that cuts down on a ton of the nonsense that the genre usually pushes. I don't play it often, but I've played it longer than most games I've bought, so I think that's a win.

Well, for me at least, I sorely miss having an MMO like I used to have with WoW which I could always go and play for years on end when I was bored or hit up with friends when a new patch dropped, as a kind of always on backup game between smaller morsels. Not to mention I met a lot of cool people in my Everquest and WoW days.

My tastes have changed to a good degree but I remain interested in a longer experience. A virtual world.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MeatPacks-Meatpacks-Whole-Lamb/dp/B003UUJ6BG
    Hmmm, lamby lamby lamb lamb

I haven't eaten this lamb, but I have eaten other lambs and so I reckon this one would be nice too

haha

I don't think anyone wants to try and do that anymore anyways except maybe Wildstar (which is adding as well a lot of stuff WoW never had and probably never will) and Elder Scrolls Online (those poor bastards). A near decade of dead MMOs and F2P failures has finally caught up with stubborn minds and lazy solutions to age old MMO problems.

I dunno, I still don't see a lot of innovation on the horizon, but I admit maybe the changes that exist are just ones I'm uninterested in or think aren't important.
    I need to roll up some new characters in GW2 tho, I never really messed with the rogue that much. Only a bit in beta.

Still my favorite. Different style of resource management. Very twitchy. I find it a lot of fun.
    falasig.png
This discussion has been closed.