Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Someone explain this to me. Dota 2. Basically people make clothes for characters, put them up on the store, people buy them because they want to play pretty pretty dress up with their characters, the original designer gets a cut and Valve prints money. Do I have that right? Is that how they've monetized the game differently from Riot/LoL's model?

Yes; it's a system that was essentially lifted from TF2's hatconomy. The game and all it's heroes are free and the game has a big e-sports scene, and it's mainly funded by sales of mainly user generated content on the Steam Workshop that gets reviewed and placed in the game.

Cool. It also seems that there's an entry-fee/buy-in for tournaments, correct?

And while Dota 2 is interesting to me, their naming conventions for their heroes seems a little...character-less? They all strike me as descriptions and not names.

As far as I'm aware yes there is for most tournaments, just like there is for most serious business SC2 and LoL tourneys. But I'd inquire in the Dota 2 thread for specifics.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Hopefully WoW shrinks back to the point where developers stop obsessing over making "WoW clones killers".

I'm not sure if it's because developers are trying to beat WoW at their own game or if it's because developers are dull and not very clever. Or maybe I can substitute in 'publishers'.

I don't think anyone wants to try and do that anymore anyways except maybe Wildstar (which is adding as well a lot of stuff WoW never had and probably never will) and Elder Scrolls Online (those poor bastards). A near decade of dead MMOs and F2P failures has finally caught up with stubborn minds and lazy solutions to age old MMO problems.

I dunno, I still don't see a lot of innovation on the horizon, but I admit maybe the changes that exist are just ones I'm uninterested in or think aren't important.

Hence my interest in Wildstar, instanced housing aside.

I don't see why that's going to be so much of an issue given that you can do a fuckton of stuff with your house as it is and can open it to the public or just your friends or keep it private. Having good housing at all is a breath of fresh air after lackluster EQ2 housing and a real lack of good housing since UO.

I like housing less for playing interior decorator and more for owning a piece of the world, and if your house is in an instance, and the inside is its own instance it feels very disconnected from the actual world.

Like, you want a virtual world, and for me this abstraction degrades the world. I want fewer gamey abstractions and more virtual world.

The problem with virtual world is it tends to be technologically infeasible.

That said, I don't see why we don't have people going for a more retro/ragnarok styled actual virtual world game. You would be able to get away with a lot of things you can't in modern MMOs where you have to also worry about graphical limitations, 3D, etc.

I'd be happy with a virtual world like EVE Online if the gameplay were better executed.

"Camp the zone borders!" is the boringest pvp ever conceived.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    This imgur gallery of Boston bombing conspiracy theories is exactly the kind of craziness I love to read about

They're claiming that the injured people are wearing plastic wounds and squirted fake blood in order to distract people from CISPA

linkkkk?

Warning: incredibly NSFW in terms of graphic images of bodies, injuries, and the ravings of people with mental conditions

http://imgur.com/a/Nx8EU

NOPE.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    jacobkosh

have you ever heard of 'caroline and jackie'

organichu

no, is it about the kennedys or something?

nah, apparently it's about two random sisters- an exploration of their relationship. it is about mental illness and viewer perception i guess- the film is laid out like this, but what if the protagonist or narrator is unreliable etc?

apparently it came out last year but i hadn't heard of it until recently. sounds interesting to me.

innnnnnteresting

I have gotten bad/lazy about keeping up with new movies since Ebert ramped down his coverage last year

i miss him ;_;
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Hopefully WoW shrinks back to the point where developers stop obsessing over making "WoW clones killers".

I'm not sure if it's because developers are trying to beat WoW at their own game or if it's because developers are dull and not very clever. Or maybe I can substitute in 'publishers'.

I don't think anyone wants to try and do that anymore anyways except maybe Wildstar (which is adding as well a lot of stuff WoW never had and probably never will) and Elder Scrolls Online (those poor bastards). A near decade of dead MMOs and F2P failures has finally caught up with stubborn minds and lazy solutions to age old MMO problems.

I dunno, I still don't see a lot of innovation on the horizon, but I admit maybe the changes that exist are just ones I'm uninterested in or think aren't important.

I don't see why that's going to be so much of an issue given that you can do a fuckton of stuff with your house as it is and can open it to the public or just your friends or keep it private. Having good housing at all is a breath of fresh air after lackluster EQ2 housing and a real lack of good housing since UO.

I like housing less for playing interior decorator and more for owning a piece of the world, and if your house is in an instance, and the inside is its own instance it feels very disconnected from the actual world.

Like, you want a virtual world, and for me this abstraction degrades the world. I want fewer gamey abstractions and more virtual world.

That said, I don't see why we don't have people going for a more retro/ragnarok styled actual virtual world game. You would be able to get away with a lot of things you can't in modern MMOs where you have to also worry about graphical limitations, 3D, etc.

I'd be happy with a virtual world like EVE Online if the gameplay were better executed.

"Camp the zone borders!" is the boringest pvp ever conceived.

Being the gate camper is pretty boring and dumb but running through gate blockades was pretty fun!
    maaan i am all kinds of not tired.

anyone have any particularly hilarious stories from their day today?
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So something lamb-related on the grill (assuming it's in early enough, which it should be)

Vegetarian pizza of some description because I will spend the morning playing with Mr. Lamb Lamb, and that will be easy

Pasta will be seafood medley of some description (Or maybe jambalaya? I do have sausage ...) because I have a lot of that sitting around >_>

Annnnd someone else can figure out the sandwich and salad specials. Maybe something rad will come in with the bread order and it'll all make sense in the morning.

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    So something lamb-related on the grill (assuming it's in early enough, which it should be)

Vegetarian pizza of some description because I will spend the morning playing with Mr. Lamb Lamb, and that will be easy

Pasta will be seafood medley of some description (Or maybe jambalaya? I do have sausage ...) because I have a lot of that sitting around >_>

Annnnd someone else can figure out the sandwich and salad specials. Maybe something rad will come in with the bread order and it'll all make sense in the morning.

do you ever get customers who come in and like

gimme spaghetti
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    jacobkosh

organichu

nah, apparently it's about two random sisters- an exploration of their relationship. it is about mental illness and viewer perception i guess- the film is laid out like this, but what if the protagonist or narrator is unreliable etc?

apparently it came out last year but i hadn't heard of it until recently. sounds interesting to me.

innnnnnteresting

I have gotten bad/lazy about keeping up with new movies since Ebert ramped down his coverage last year

i miss him ;_;

Ebert was a fantastic movie critic. He was demonstrably incorrect on the "Games as art" question, though, and he was uncharacteristically stubborn about this position long after he made it.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

And that's the caveat that, more then anything else, draws me to Wildstar right now. It's not a sandbox any more then GW2 is, but it's trying to put as much of that idea into the game without just becoming EvE's do anything you want like train skills, read spreadsheets, drool over politics done by sociopaths and mine space rocks with your laser (something that 98% of miners do with bots).

Sandboxes are needed for emergent gameplay, the key to bringing in the real value of MMOs and making a game that's persistent and driven by player agency as much as if not moreso then what the devs do. But it can't just be a straight up sandbox, there has to be more to it then that, and it has to be well executed. Better combat that's more action driven like TERA or more skill based like Mount and Blade's directional stuff, better crafting and economic structures and controls, better graphics, better everything really.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

do you ever get customers who come in and like

gimme spaghetti

Oh my yes

And it's on the menu :P

Most of our regular crowd aren't fancy - the basic menu is pretty straight-forward

It's just the specials that I get to play with regularly and have my fun

And they're mostly for the summer beach crowd, from what I've experienced so far - who are already starting to show up! :D
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    jacobkosh

organichu

innnnnnteresting

i miss him ;_;

Ebert was a fantastic movie critic. He was demonstrably incorrect on the "Games as art" question, though, and he was uncharacteristically stubborn about this position long after he made it.

who cares
    jacobkosh

organichu

innnnnnteresting

i miss him ;_;

nope. love the dude. there's a reason why he wasn't a video game critic.
    jacobkosh

organichu

innnnnnteresting

i miss him ;_;

I still feel bad about him dying, in spite of being very upset with his opinion on video games as art. He was a good man and a good movie critic, in a entertainment industry more obsessed with stalking stars and moronic rumours rather then caring about the artistic products of those very celebrities.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    EvE is a game that produces wonderful stories. I have 0 interest in playing. Something about it just doesn't click, mostly it is boring. It is the only pure player based game that is still going and going well so it gets some credit.

I think MMOs should target more niche communities because I think those are more long lasting communities and more tight nit. STO is a good example, EvE, DAoC(people still play!) and so on. WoW was a freak accident.

Actually I am also sick of Fantasy and Fantasy in Space stuff. I wouldn't mind a nice Earth and Beyond remake or something like Anarchy Online turned into a Shadowrun style mmo. You could buy an apartment!

Then die horribly like most runners.

I think Cryptic has a good idea with letting the community make content. NWN lasted because of that. Look at mod communities for HL1 and HL2.

I am not sure try to recreate that "nostalgia" is the way to go anymore. But instead they should change how they should make MMOs.

I think that is part of why I backed Camelot Unleashed. It is very much that niche only mmo. And a niche I like.
    falasig.png

And that's the caveat that, more then anything else, draws me to Wildstar right now. It's not a sandbox any more then GW2 is, but it's trying to put as much of that idea into the game without just becoming EvE's do anything you want like train skills, read spreadsheets, drool over politics done by sociopaths and mine space rocks with your laser (something that 98% of miners do with bots).

Sandboxes are needed for emergent gameplay, the key to bringing in the real value of MMOs and making a game that's persistent and driven by player agency as much as if not moreso then what the devs do. But it can't just be a straight up sandbox, there has to be more to it then that, and it has to be well executed. Better combat that's more action driven like TERA or more skill based like Mount and Blade's directional stuff, better crafting and economic structures and controls, better graphics, better everything really.

I just view stuff like that as going half the distance, or not taking things far enough. Many MMOs, even so-called WoW clones have their own little quirks where they do something differently, and it's interesting, but it always comes off as half assed and isn't fleshed out enough to engage me. I see Wildstar as a mish-mash of ideas that are a cross between the old and the new, and it doesn't excite me.

pfft that looks comfy. well too much clutter but the one that has a stove and a fridge? that's all you need.

pfft that looks comfy. well too much clutter but the one that has a stove and a fridge? that's all you need.

I agree!

I have and enjoy a spartan existence. I don't even cook.

But one of the benefits of said spartan existence is that I save the hell out of my money.

Those prices are ballkicks.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    I still think the biggest problem with EVE is the skill system. Because your character's progress really has nothing to do with you beyond what skills you queue up. And while your character levels their skills you're basically waiting, or doing grunt work like salvaging or tackling. When you could afford to fly something long before you could actually fly it it's a real pain in the ass.

But the game has many other issues and it's such a monstrosity that it's difficult to say what else should be done.
    edited May 2013

I just view stuff like that as going half the distance, or not taking things far enough. Many MMOs, even so-called WoW clones have their own little quirks where they do something differently, and it's interesting, but it always comes off as half assed and isn't fleshed out enough to engage me. I see Wildstar as a mish-mash of ideas that are a cross between the old and the new, and it doesn't excite me.

And it is, but for me it's good enough provided it delivers, which I guess I'll find out soon as their ramping up CB testing soon with an initial stress test this month.

I have played more MMOs then I care to remember, from Global Agenda to Runescape, Shadowbane to Hellgate: London, Aion to DAoC, Warhammer to the original Darkfall. I just can't help myself, even though I know full well the dangers of hype and runaway scale and scope.

I will continue to hope and pine for that one MMO that changes the trend, for me at least, and until then I will continue to be a wanderer of the various dimensions these various dev houses half bake and spit out.
    Corehealer on
    My domicile needs: Toilet, shower, bed.

I have a shit-ton of clothes, but I don't really use a closet. I just have a ton of wall hooks and have transformed my room into a massive walk-in. It looks great.
    2ezikn6.jpg

I agree!

But one of the benefits of said spartan existence is that I save the hell out of my money.

Yeah the prices are what make it unreasonable.

As a fellow non-cooker I do miss cooking when my options for food become limited. Like right now. There's a 24/7 diner and thaaat's about it.
    MMO Civilization is where I want to be at.

Someone make that.
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Watched the original The Thomas Crown Affair tonight. Hmm...Steve McQueen.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Shadowbane, that was the name I was looking for.

God so much hope for it and it was such a hot mess. So bad. Tried to make something similar to EvE but missed the mark by a few football fields.
    falasig.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Dont worry. The steam punk loft still exists.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    EvE is a game that produces wonderful stories. I have 0 interest in playing. Something about it just doesn't click, mostly it is boring. It is the only pure player based game that is still going and going well so it gets some credit.

I think MMOs should target more niche communities because I think those are more long lasting communities and more tight nit. STO is a good example, EvE, DAoC(people still play!) and so on. WoW was a freak accident.

Actually I am also sick of Fantasy and Fantasy in Space stuff. I wouldn't mind a nice Earth and Beyond remake or something like Anarchy Online turned into a Shadowrun style mmo. You could buy an apartment!

Then die horribly like most runners.

I think Cryptic has a good idea with letting the community make content. NWN lasted because of that. Look at mod communities for HL1 and HL2.

I am not sure try to recreate that "nostalgia" is the way to go anymore. But instead they should change how they should make MMOs.

I think that is part of why I backed Camelot Unleashed. It is very much that niche only mmo. And a niche I like.

I would love to just have access to the Merch and goonswarm forums just to watch the random acts of malice.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

I have a shit-ton of clothes, but I don't really use a closet. I just have a ton of wall hooks and have transformed my room into a massive walk-in. It looks great.

I have a closet but mostly use the floor.

I'm 31.

Technically.
    I still think the biggest problem with EVE is the skill system. Because your character's progress really has nothing to do with you beyond what skills you queue up. And while your character levels their skills you're basically waiting, or doing grunt work like salvaging or tackling. When you could afford to fly something long before you could actually fly it it's a real pain in the ass.

But the game has many other issues and it's such a monstrosity that it's difficult to say what else should be done.

The only winning move is not to play and instead to listen to secret post OP communications from The Mittani and his merry band of pod kiddies on Soundcloud.
    I'm just gonna play GW2 on and off while I wait for an MMO with a well executed sandbox/virtual world approach.

Maybe the World of Darkness game, if it ever comes out, will be neat.

I agree!

You make a lot more money in the city. It offsets a bit of the LOL cost of living.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

I have a closet but mostly use the floor.

I'm 31.

Technically.

I take the

"Oh no. That laundry basket? It's all clean clothes."

approach.
    I like the Mckibbin's loft for $800.
    It's not just a roomtrocity, it's illegal housing to boot.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Man

There is a ridiculously hot girl in a wheelchair in my history class.

Like, how do you even have an amazing ass when you can't walk?

I want to have dirty differently-abled wheelchair sex with her

Real talk

God so much hope for it and it was such a hot mess. So bad. Tried to make something similar to EvE but missed the mark by a few football fields.

You and me Mazzy. We seen some shit. We've been there and back again.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I always want to be playing EVE.

Until I'm playing EVE.

It is the only game I have such fond memories of despite all the other memories which lead to my not playing if for the last few years.
    edited May 2013

Shadowbane actually got me into big 'mainstream' MMOs. I had been playing Runescape but Shadowbane was the first big MMO I was interested in. I even joined a guild in preparation and a guildmate introduced me to Dark Age of Camelot and we played that while we waited. I thought DAOC was really cool. Playing that MMO was when I had that sense of wonderment you get at first. I'm sure the world wasn't actually that engaging but I felt like it was positively alive and I wanted to explore it.

Then Shadowbane came out and almost immediately I was like, ehhhhhh.
    Sarksus on
    MMO Civilization is where I want to be at.

Someone make that.

I'm visualizing a bastardized love child of SimCity and Age of Empires Online. I want to puke.
    Kana wrote: »
    Man

There is a ridiculously hot girl in a wheelchair in my history class.

Like, how do you even have an amazing ass when you can't walk?

I want to have dirty differently-abled wheelchair sex with her

Real talk

too real.
This discussion has been closed.