Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I need to roll up some new characters in GW2 tho, I never really messed with the rogue that much. Only a bit in beta.

Still my favorite. Different style of resource management. Very twitchy. I find it a lot of fun.

Yeah I don't remember why I stopped playing it.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Oooh

I do believe I have a lamb coming in in the morning

Sweeeeet, gonna have so many lamb-themed specials :D

this puzzled me until I remembered that you're a professional cook

And getting a whole lamb delivered is still an extravagance! (at least for a restaurant this size)

But it ultimately saves us on cost and I can do so many things!

are you going to have to slaughter it

hope not

Can you imagine? What a horrible way to start a day.

No, he arrives headless and skinless and drained and ready to become delicious!
    I remember that the short bow was fucking sweet.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Hopefully WoW shrinks back to the point where developers stop obsessing over making "WoW clones killers".

I'm not sure if it's because developers are trying to beat WoW at their own game or if it's because developers are dull and not very clever. Or maybe I can substitute in 'publishers'.

I don't think anyone wants to try and do that anymore anyways except maybe Wildstar (which is adding as well a lot of stuff WoW never had and probably never will) and Elder Scrolls Online (those poor bastards). A near decade of dead MMOs and F2P failures has finally caught up with stubborn minds and lazy solutions to age old MMO problems.

I dunno, I still don't see a lot of innovation on the horizon, but I admit maybe the changes that exist are just ones I'm uninterested in or think aren't important.

Hence my interest in Wildstar, instanced housing aside.

I don't see why that's going to be so much of an issue given that you can do a fuckton of stuff with your house as it is and can open it to the public or just your friends or keep it private. Having good housing at all is a breath of fresh air after lackluster EQ2 housing and a real lack of good housing since UO.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    I still like GW2 and think it's a good game, but I think it could be better in terms of endgame, and obviously others don't care about that as much which is fine. Perhaps ArenaNet knows their audience better and are willing to go with a mainly casual jump in for patch jump out crowd.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    edit: no that's just a lame day talking.
    DasUberEdward on
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    I remember that the short bow was fucking sweet.

My wvw outfit is dagger/pistol and the shortbow. Shortbow is just a great general use weapon. AoE, escape shadowstep, and a few other tricks. Dagger/pistol and my utilities give me 4 blinds, 3 ways to stealth, and a daze. Controlling the fight is my goal. Not as much damage as dagger dagger but I enjoy it more.
    falasig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    But really they were always best when making RTS games in my opinion, all else was a distraction.

ahem

tumblr_m61kvqnXP81ql3efmo1_500.jpg
    Jacobkosh on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    is that that one blizzard thing
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
    Hopefully WoW shrinks back to the point where developers stop obsessing over making "WoW clones killers".

I'm not sure if it's because developers are trying to beat WoW at their own game or if it's because developers are dull and not very clever. Or maybe I can substitute in 'publishers'.

I don't think anyone wants to try and do that anymore anyways except maybe Wildstar (which is adding as well a lot of stuff WoW never had and probably never will) and Elder Scrolls Online (those poor bastards). A near decade of dead MMOs and F2P failures has finally caught up with stubborn minds and lazy solutions to age old MMO problems.

I dunno, I still don't see a lot of innovation on the horizon, but I admit maybe the changes that exist are just ones I'm uninterested in or think aren't important.

I don't see why that's going to be so much of an issue given that you can do a fuckton of stuff with your house as it is and can open it to the public or just your friends or keep it private. Having good housing at all is a breath of fresh air after lackluster EQ2 housing and a real lack of good housing since UO.

I like housing less for playing interior decorator and more for owning a piece of the world, and if your house is in an instance, and the inside is its own instance it feels very disconnected from the actual world.

Like, you want a virtual world, and for me this abstraction degrades the world. I want fewer gamey abstractions and more virtual world.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    But really they were always best when making RTS games in my opinion, all else was a distraction.

ahem

This is not Lost Vikings.

Actually I didn't play much outside of their RTS games due to not owning the system or the game.
    falasig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic's solution to sparse MMO content seems to be giving the players the ability to create more, which definitely helps, but it still hinges on players having the willingness to use fairly straightforward and not-the-most-thrilling game mechanics to see that content.
    Jacobkosh on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Blizzard at their best!

rrr1.jpg

I like housing less for playing interior decorator and more for owning a piece of the world, and if your house is in an instance, and the inside is its own instance it feels very disconnected from the actual world.

Like, you want a virtual world, and for me this abstraction degrades the world. I want fewer gamey abstractions and more virtual world.

Google Xyson.
    Cryptic's solution to sparse MMO content seems to be giving the players the ability to create more, which definitely helps, but it still hinges on having the willingness to play fairly straightforward game mechanics.

I am not gonna give up on Neverwinter completely, I want to see what is done with the foundry, but I'm not a fan of the combat, so I'm gonna put it to the side for now.
    Organichu wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    jacobkosh

have you ever heard of 'caroline and jackie'

organichu

no, is it about the kennedys or something?

nah, apparently it's about two random sisters- an exploration of their relationship. it is about mental illness and viewer perception i guess- the film is laid out like this, but what if the protagonist or narrator is unreliable etc?

apparently it came out last year but i hadn't heard of it until recently. sounds interesting to me.

innnnnnteresting

I have gotten bad/lazy about keeping up with new movies since Ebert ramped down his coverage last year
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This imgur gallery of Boston bombing conspiracy theories is exactly the kind of craziness I love to read about

They're claiming that the injured people are wearing plastic wounds and squirted fake blood in order to distract people from CISPA
    simonwolf on
    turtlesig.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Someone explain this to me. Dota 2. Basically people make clothes for characters, put them up on the store, people buy them because they want to play pretty pretty dress up with their characters, the original designer gets a cut and Valve prints money. Do I have that right? Is that how they've monetized the game differently from Riot/LoL's model?
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
    Also, virtual world in your sense is something I also want, but there are other things I want as well that might not mesh well with simply owning the land straight up. So if Wildstar can give me something to own, even if it's disconnected, I will take that and everything else I like about the game rather then play something like Xyson, at least right now.

That game needs more time in the oven but has a lot of potential.
    Weird.

Sometimes I get the strangest vertigo when working at a computer. It happens really rarely, but it is disorienting for a few minutes.

ahem

This is not Lost Vikings.

Actually I didn't play much outside of their RTS games due to not owning the system or the game.

It's Blackthorn. It honestly might be my second-favorite of their games after Starcraft 1. It was just a really cool, well-animated puzzle-platformer in the vein of Out of this World or Flashback.
    simonwolf wrote: »
    This imgur gallery of Boston bombing conspiracy theories is exactly the kind of craziness I love to read about

They're claiming that the injured people are wearing plastic wounds and squirted fake blood in order to distract people from CISPA

And another day goes by where I wonder how to monetize punching people over the internet.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

The problem with virtual world is it tends to be technologically infeasible.

That said, I don't see why we don't have people going for a more retro/ragnarok styled actual virtual world game. You would be able to get away with a lot of things you can't in modern MMOs where you have to also worry about graphical limitations, 3D, etc.
    vspgsp.jpg
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Someone explain this to me. Dota 2. Basically people make clothes for characters, put them up on the store, people buy them because they want to play pretty pretty dress up with their characters, the original designer gets a cut and Valve prints money. Do I have that right? Is that how they've monetized the game differently from Riot/LoL's model?

Yes; it's a system that was essentially lifted from TF2's hatconomy. The game and all it's heroes are free and the game has a big e-sports scene, and it's mainly funded by sales of mainly user generated content on the Steam Workshop that gets reviewed and placed in the game.
    Wildstar lost my interest since it seems to bringing back the things I don't have time to do. 40 man raids? That is a bad thing. The very fact many of the folks are from Vanilla WoW are a strike against it in my mind. Vanilla WoW is colored as much better than it was thanks to nostalgia. Housing is one of those things people keep hoping will live up to their memories of UO but really I don't see that as great as it once was.

When I was into DAoC and WoW I could play 14 hour days and I was fine with that. Now? I can't do that between school work, job hunting and having a personal life. And MMOs that move in that direction, which Wild Star seems to especially since its combat looks less actiony than GW2. Which I think is the bottom limit now.

I keep watching but nothing about it is grabbing interest.
    falasig.png
    edited May 2013

Yes; it's a system that was essentially lifted from TF2's hatconomy. The game and all it's heroes are free and the game has a big e-sports scene, and it's mainly funded by sales of mainly user generated content on the Steam Workshop that gets reviewed and placed in the game.

Cool. It also seems that there's an entry-fee/buy-in for tournaments, correct?

And while Dota 2 is interesting to me, their naming conventions for their heroes seems a little...character-less? They all strike me as descriptions and not names.
    DoctorArch on

Google Xyson.

oh god the graphics

the UI is also pretty rough, and I'd bet the complexities of the game are probably not very well explained or presented

there are cool games out there that have interesting ideas but the dev teams are so small the result isn't very pretty
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    sc2 wol showed me that blizzard sux now

Que?! WoL was great!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

And another day goes by where I wonder how to monetize punching people over the internet.

get a kickstarter
    turtlesig.jpg
    Wildstar lost my interest since it seems to bringing back the things I don't have time to do. 40 man raids? That is a bad thing. The very fact many of the folks are from Vanilla WoW are a strike against it in my mind. Vanilla WoW is colored as much better than it was thanks to nostalgia. Housing is one of those things people keep hoping will live up to their memories of UO but really I don't see that as great as it once was.

When I was into DAoC and WoW I could play 14 hour days and I was fine with that. Now? I can't do that between school work, job hunting and having a personal life. And MMOs that move in that direction, which Wild Star seems to especially since its combat looks less actiony than GW2. Which I think is the bottom limit now.

I keep watching but nothing about it is grabbing interest.

Wildstar seems to be very much about "play the way you want to play" which would seem to preclude it forcing you to do raids, etc. With any luck there will be plenty of content for people who can't hold down a raid schedule anymore.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Cool. It also seems that there's an entry-fee/buy-in for tournaments, correct?

yup

you can get video streams and VODs using ad-supported Twitch.tv or whatever, but to watch it in-game - with the ability to pan elsewhere on the screen rather than wherever the streamer is looking, for instance - you gotta give Valve the $$$
    ronya on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

linkkkk?
    2ezikn6.jpg
    Winky wrote: »

That said, I don't see why we don't have people going for a more retro/ragnarok styled actual virtual world game. You would be able to get away with a lot of things you can't in modern MMOs where you have to also worry about graphical limitations, 3D, etc.

We do, it's just there isn't enough money in it typically to develop a large MMO game of any regard for that niche audience. EvE being the exception, barring some differences.

Stuff like Xyson and Darkfall: Unholy Wars exist to cater to niche audiences and they remain that way mainly because of the brutal cycle of not having enough money to grow rather then just maintain and fix bugs/offer more mainstream MMO levels of quality in terms of graphics and the like, because the game doesn't make enough money, because it's too niche...

We have much to learn from the old ways and from both themeparks and sandboxes when it comes to creating better virtual worlds and experiences that are a hybrid of both.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

linkkkk?

http://i.imgur.com/k8Wpxbq.jpg
    P10 wrote: »
    sc2 wol showed me that blizzard sux now

Que?! WoL was great!

WoL was an unmitigated success by most metrics.

The only thing really awful about it was the story and...well, Blizzard has never written a good story.

(If you think Blizzard wrote a good story, I'll have you remember that you were 13 at the time)
    vspgsp.jpg
    Winky wrote: »

I'd be happy with a virtual world like EVE Online if the gameplay were better executed.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ok time to finish mopping up this galaxy and then go on a galaxy conquering adventure with samurai space bears

Ugh want this game so bad.

It's pretty fun

I modified the samurai space bear though since I'm really just dicking around on Easy to understand the game better and toy with the various hull designs. I tweaked the racial perks a bit, picking up the gluttony and timid disadvantages and renamed the race

The galaxy will come to fear the Pooh Bears
    sigtk.jpg

Google Xyson.

oh god the graphics

the UI is also pretty rough, and I'd bet the complexities of the game are probably not very well explained or presented

there are cool games out there that have interesting ideas but the dev teams are so small the result isn't very pretty

I do hope they survive and grow, but I played it in alpha a bit and can testify to it being VERY rough in a lot of ways and relying heavily on owning the world ala Minecraft and fighting between player tribes as being the main focal points of the fun.

linkkkk?

Warning: incredibly NSFW in terms of graphic images of bodies, injuries, and the ravings of people with mental conditions

http://imgur.com/a/Nx8EU
    turtlesig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.