Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I don't bother learning other languages because if you can't speak English that is your own moral failing, and your fault we can't communicate

The only language ill consider learning is Dothraki, or maybe Swahili
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    t
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Tri-lingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bi-lingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks one language? An American.

What about quarter-lingual

I'm murikan and I can curse a lot in another language

so that has to count for something

Em fucked up the joke. Trilingual is supposed to be polyglot

no a polyglot is someone who's like a genius but with languages, isn't it?

my sister is trilingual and my parents sort-of quadrilingual, it's not that hard

all you need to do is go live somewhere they speak another language and presto
    xlh6c3.png
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    when we're out and there's one person who doesn't speak norwegian among a bunch of us that do, it gets hard to properly switch over so the conversation rapidly switches from english to norwegian to back again which has to be kind of bewildering to them
    Being in a room with a bunch of people who both spoke english and a language I didn't know was one of the most isolating things whenever they spoke the other language.

See, a true American would demand they learn English.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    I still find it funny that Iranians can be called Persians

It just seems like it would be akin to saying i'm from Albion
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I don't bother learning other languages because if you can't speak English that is your own moral failing, and your fault we can't communicate

!Djembe you are the moon of my life
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So when are Google's spank bank spectacles supposed to come out anyway?
    they are already out for "explorers", but the public will get the ability to buy them by the holiday season this year.
    meat.jpg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    if a german or a frenchman was talking shit about me in front of me they'd have to take care if they wanted to be certain I wouldn't catch on, for example, because it's not very hard to sort of catch the gist

This is me in all the languages I mentioned, and when they do say stuff I don't get,I can usually pick up with body language/tone and my own knowing glares.

It's so gratifying to catch someone talking shit about you when they think you don't understand, and then just merging right in with a zinger. Or overhearing signaling teams at the table, and alerting security and getting those fuckers barred. Cheaters are scum.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    t

my sister is trilingual and my parents sort-of quadrilingual, it's not that hard

Polyglot just means you know more than two languages.

Though, you'd have to be some kind of genius.
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    edited May 2013
    Chanus wrote: »
    when we're out and there's one person who doesn't speak norwegian among a bunch of us that do, it gets hard to properly switch over so the conversation rapidly switches from english to norwegian to back again which has to be kind of bewildering to them
    Being in a room with a bunch of people who both spoke english and a language I didn't know was one of the most isolating things whenever they spoke the other language.

See, a true American subject of the Crown would demand they learn English.

e:whoops

i fail at being smug
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Another thing, remember to enforce english only at the tale at any poker game you're in. This is a rule with a purpose, and if you don't stand for yourself, you're drawing dead to beat the game long term.
    Same goes for French in Monaco.
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    since the foreigners often speak some norwegian

and anyway care has to be taken to speak about someone when they're around even if they don't know the language at all
    madcaddy what is your profession

A caddy, but I get really mad, duh. ;) I'm a punter/speculator primarily, aspiring gamer.

okay then I don't know anything at all about jobs here that could help you.

Oh I appreciate the thought. If my girlfriend gets her way and we can make a trip out that way,I'll have to shoot you a pm about the must see stuff. The big things for me is just where the money's at, what's fun t do/good to eat, and where I can go to be with good honest friendly people just trying to have a good time. We love beer garden style stuff and just relaxed atmospheres.

Business wise, tax stuff and where gambling is (which I've heard isn't a strong point, but that's to be expected wit h some aspect s of the culture, right?)

financial stuff would be Oslo. I'm in bergen and from Stavanger, both in the west, which is the engineering place to be.

gambling is... well, would be hard to find. Since it's illegal. Could always go to Monaco on the weekends :P
    xlh6c3.png
    Casual wrote: »

Well, if you were the kind of people who never had a renaissance and live in yurts and hold grudges for two thousand years...
    anyway your response disappoints me!

I want to learn as many languages as I can.
    Me too, just a shame the langugage teaching methods in this country range from abysmal to merely pants.

they do in every country. Or, well, there's nowhere you can learn another language just by sitting in a classroom every now and then.
    xlh6c3.png
    #GlennBeck

We weren't Iran until all that long ago (1935)

And it sounds nicer. After the revolution if you were an Iranian in the USA it was easier and less threatening to be like, "No, I am Perrrsian"

It's interchangable to me. Alternatively, watch the PBS documentary The Iranian-Americans, which I thought was really good, or see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHkNNjs4F1U
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    So when are Google's spank bank spectacles supposed to come out anyway?
    they are already out for "explorers", but the public will get the ability to buy them by the holiday season this year.

Sweet!
    steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Yeah you don't have to be a savant to speak a few languages- you just had to have lived a certain lifestyle and made a bit of effort. The impressive part is when people can learn super quickly and or with minimal immersion.
    if a german or a frenchman was talking shit about me in front of me they'd have to take care if they wanted to be certain I wouldn't catch on, for example, because it's not very hard to sort of catch the gist

This is me in all the languages I mentioned, and when they do say stuff I don't get,I can usually pick up with body language/tone and my own knowing glares.

It's so gratifying to catch someone talking shit about you when they think you don't understand, and then just merging right in with a zinger. Or overhearing signaling teams at the table, and alerting security and getting those fuckers barred. Cheaters are scum.

Hah. And yeah, that's the other reason why it's not to easy to talk without anyone knowing what: you're going to really have to be mindful of everything you do when you're talking to make sure they don't have a clue.

which is very hard to do since the last thing one has to do when speaking your native tongue is think hard about it
    xlh6c3.png
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    I speak programming languages, does that count as polylingual ?
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

Well their language is still called Persian. And the people have viewed themselves as Persians for a long time. At a stretch it is more like calling yourself an Angle.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    bowen wrote: »

If you actually speak them, yeah, but who would want to hang around you?

We weren't Iran until all that long ago (1935)

And it sounds nicer. After the revolution if you were an Iranian in the USA it was easier and less threatening to be like, "No, I am Perrrsian"

It's interchangable to me. Alternatively, watch the PBS documentary The Iranian-Americans, which I thought was really good, or see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHkNNjs4F1U

i can see the advantage in it for the simple reason that people most likley to fly into a rage at the mention of the word "Iran" are also the sort of dumbasses that won't know Persia and Iran are the same place
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    t

that sounds like a weird definition!
    xlh6c3.png
    bowen wrote: »

nope
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    sometimes I think I'd like to learn a programming language

and then I think of all the work that would involve and it makes me tired
    t

Well, I guess it's actually "more than three" as it's "several".
    pol·y·glot (pl-glt)
    adj.
    Speaking, writing, written in, or composed of several languages.
    n.
    1. A person having a speaking, reading, or writing knowledge of several languages.

The standard being: One, couple (two), few (three), several (four and up).
    edited May 2013

Well their language is still called Persian.* And the people have viewed themselves as Persians** for a long time. At a stretch it is more like calling yourself an Angle.

*And Farsi. Yeah motherfuckers, we're too good to just have one name for things.

**And 'Persian' is a broader ethnic term; there are Persians in Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, etc, but only Iranian refers to the nationality

so {Persian} and {Iranian} overlap quite a bit, but aren't necessarily equal
    Hakkekage on
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Learning enough of an extra language to know when people are talking shit about you is very valuable; as a man willing to learn Valyrian (I'd hope so, if Dothraki is on the list) you'd see the value in this. ;) Valar morghulis

seriously, bring on the head sockets from the matrix and just dl the education into my brain
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

3_3;
    edited May 2013
    Organichu wrote: »
    Yeah you don't have to be a savant to speak a few languages- you just had to have lived a certain lifestyle and made a bit of effort. The impressive part is when people can learn super quickly and or with minimal immersion.

yeah and polyglot is what you call people who get in the newspaper because they speak like eight languages or something.

My sister knows three languages because she paid attention at french in school and then went to france to actually learn it. english and norwegian being there already.

my parents lived in italy right before I was born, so there's italian, and they learned french while my sister was in france, and english they've both long since gotten (not as quickly as my generation, of course) so there's four

I did not pay attention to french and I haven't lived abroad so I don't know more than two.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
    Actually aren't you in Scotland Casual? Maybe Angle wasn't the best choice :s
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    t

pol·y·glot (pl-glt)
    adj.
    n.
    1. A person having a speaking, reading, or writing knowledge of several languages.

Starting to sound like Discworld troll counting!

1, 2, 3, many
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

Well their language is still called Persian.* And the people have viewed themselves as Persians** for a long time. At a stretch it is more like calling yourself an Angle.

*And Farsi. Yeah motherfuckers, we're too good to just have one name for things.

**And 'Persian' is a broader ethnic term; there are Persians in Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, etc, but only Iranian refers to the nationality

If you folks want to come back into power, you need to hire him again.

xerxes.jpg

Most swag ruler ever.
    meat.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

3_3;

10 SOMETHING PROGRAMMY HERE
    20 GOTO 10
    t

pol·y·glot (pl-glt)
    adj.
    n.

using only the strict dictionary definition is not something a polyglot would do.
    xlh6c3.png
    I have been conversational or higher in five languages throughout my life. But sometimes they barely overlapped and I didn't keep up with them.

So I am down to like 2.5.
    edited May 2013

Isn't Farsi just the word Persian gone through the wringer of Arabic?

Antinumeric on
    syndalis wrote: »

If you folks want to come back into power, you need to hire him again.

xerxes.jpg

Most swag ruler ever.

gog

dammit

i h8 u
This discussion has been closed.