Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I have been conversational or higher in five languages throughout my life. But sometimes they barely overlapped and I didn't keep up with them.

So I am down to like 2.5.

you're counting english as the .5 here righ
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    wait my sister took an exam in swedish in france just for the lulz (and the easy better grade) so I guess that counts as quadrilingual
    xlh6c3.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    sometimes I think I'd like to learn a programming language

and then I think of all the work that would involve and it makes me tired

3_3;

10 SOMETHING PROGRAMMY HERE
    20 GOTO 10

you old fart
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    since the foreigners often speak some norwegian

and anyway care has to be taken to speak about someone when they're around even if they don't know the language at all
    madcaddy what is your profession

A caddy, but I get really mad, duh. ;) I'm a punter/speculator primarily, aspiring gamer.

okay then I don't know anything at all about jobs here that could help you.

Oh I appreciate the thought. If my girlfriend gets her way and we can make a trip out that way,I'll have to shoot you a pm about the must see stuff. The big things for me is just where the money's at, what's fun t do/good to eat, and where I can go to be with good honest friendly people just trying to have a good time. We love beer garden style stuff and just relaxed atmospheres.

Business wise, tax stuff and where gambling is (which I've heard isn't a strong point, but that's to be expected wit h some aspect s of the culture, right?)

financial stuff would be Oslo. I'm in bergen and from Stavanger, both in the west, which is the engineering place to be.

gambling is... well, would be hard to find. Since it's illegal. Could always go to Monaco on the weekends :P

*scratches off list, and loses all respect for the culture* Barbarians! Go eat your fermented rotten shark. Let me know when you get back to the risk and plunder.. I fear I may need to find a new title, but that extra e makes it feel like my own, and I take it as kinda a portmanteau for advocate of risk kinda, which I like.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    I still find it funny that Iranians can be called Persians

It just seems like it would be akin to saying i'm from Albion
    Well their language is still called Persian.* And the people have viewed themselves as Persians** for a long time. At a stretch it is more like calling yourself an Angle.

*And Farsi. Yeah motherfuckers, we're too good to just have one name for things.

**And 'Persian' is a broader ethnic term; there are Persians in Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, etc, but only Iranian refers to the nationality

so {Persian} and {Iranian} overlap quite a bit, but aren't necessarily equal

i have sometimes wondered about the difference between ethnic Arabs and ethinic Persians

are Persians a different racial category completly from Arabs or is it like how Caucasians and Hispanics both come under the "white" umbrella?
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    the shark thing is icelandic, and goes to show there's only so long a few people can live on an isolated island without getting a bit weird
    xlh6c3.png
    I have been conversational or higher in five languages throughout my life. But sometimes they barely overlapped and I didn't keep up with them.

Homeopathy

Well their language is still called Persian.* And the people have viewed themselves as Persians** for a long time. At a stretch it is more like calling yourself an Angle.

*And Farsi. Yeah motherfuckers, we're too good to just have one name for things.

**And 'Persian' is a broader ethnic term; there are Persians in Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, etc, but only Iranian refers to the nationality

i have sometimes wondered about the difference between ethnic Arabs and ethinic Persians

are Persians a different racial category completly from Arabs or is it like how Caucasians and Hispanics both come under the "white" umbrella?

it's more like, why the hell are you using racial categories are you from the 20s
    xlh6c3.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I don't bother learning other languages because if you can't speak English that is your own moral failing, and your fault we can't communicate

The only language ill consider learning is Dothraki, or maybe Swahili

Learning enough of an extra language to know when people are talking shit about you is very valuable; as a man willing to learn Valyrian (I'd hope so, if Dothraki is on the list) you'd see the value in this. ;) Valar morghulis

Valar dohaeris
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

Learning a programming language is easy. A week tops.

Learning to program on the other hand...

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    I have been reading through some of the Icelandic sagas lately

they're a weird mob
    turtlesig.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Isn't Farsi just the word Persian gone through the wringer of Arabic?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Native Iranian Persian speakers call it Fārsi.[21] Farsi is the arabicized form of Pārsi, due to a lack of the 'p' phoneme in Standard Arabic (i.e., the 'p' was replaced with an 'f').[22][23] The origin of the name Farsi and the place of origin of the language which is Fars is, of course, the arabicized form of Pârs. In English, this language has historically been known as "Persian", though "Farsi" has also gained some currency. According to the OED, the term Farsi was first used in English in 1926, while Parsi dates to 1790.[21] "Farsi" is encountered in some linguistic literature as a name for the language, used both by Iranian and by foreign authors.[24] The Academy of Persian Language and Literature has declared that the name "Persian" is more appropriate, as it has the longer tradition in the western languages and better expresses the role of the language as a mark of cultural and national continuity.[25] Some Persian language scholars such as Ehsan Yarshater, editor of Encyclopædia Iranica, and University of Arizona professor Kamran Talattof, have also rejected the usage of "Farsi" in their articles.[26][27]

I wasn't even aware of that. I just know in conversation you either ask "Farsi harf meezani?" or "Irooni harf meezani?" but never "Persian harf meezani?"

(All just mean "Do you speak...")
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

this is like that one hot girl who was a good dancer in the laundromat
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular

Homeopathy

the imprint of a language diluted through gallons of soda
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    I know how to curse in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, and Arabic.

Does that make me a polyglot?
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!

Wonder no more

Arabs =/= Persians

We tend to get very annoyed if you call us Arabs. Persians like to think of themselves as refined

YEAH SUNNI ARABIA BRING IT ON ETHNIC TENSION GOING DOWN NOW
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    if ($poast_img == cheeseburger) {
       print('[quote="' . $poast_user . ';' . $poast_id . '"]');
       print($poast_body . '[/quote] \n\n');
       print('#freesc');
    }

syndalis on
    meat.jpg

Wikipedia wrote:
    Native Iranian Persian speakers call it Fārsi.[21] Farsi is the arabicized form of Pārsi, due to a lack of the 'p' phoneme in Standard Arabic (i.e., the 'p' was replaced with an 'f').[22][23] The origin of the name Farsi and the place of origin of the language which is Fars is, of course, the arabicized form of Pârs. In English, this language has historically been known as "Persian", though "Farsi" has also gained some currency. According to the OED, the term Farsi was first used in English in 1926, while Parsi dates to 1790.[21] "Farsi" is encountered in some linguistic literature as a name for the language, used both by Iranian and by foreign authors.[24] The Academy of Persian Language and Literature has declared that the name "Persian" is more appropriate, as it has the longer tradition in the western languages and better expresses the role of the language as a mark of cultural and national continuity.[25] Some Persian language scholars such as Ehsan Yarshater, editor of Encyclopædia Iranica, and University of Arizona professor Kamran Talattof, have also rejected the usage of "Farsi" in their articles.[26][27]

I wasn't even aware of that. I just know in conversation you either ask "Farsi harf meezani?" or "Irooni harf meezani?" but never "Persian harf meezani?"

How do you say "I never thought I'd meet a girl like you" in Iran
    turtlesig.jpg

it's more like, why the hell are you using racial categories are you from the 20s

abdy

why are you trying to turn this into a thing

this is not a thing

take your outrage elsewhere
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

This made me smile. Thanks, 'Chu.

[ed] Which is kinda odd, because normally I would think that guy is an annoying dbag. I think it's because it's specifically to Footloose.
    iTunesIsEvil on
    ugh, code talk and arab talk

could it get any worse

could you talk about LoL in a combination of code and arab
    simonwolf wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:

hahahah

"Fekr nakardam ke dokhtar mesleh shomah boodeh"
    durka durka jungle goto 10

Wonder no more

Arabs =/= Persians

We tend to get very annoyed if you call us Arabs. Persians like to think of themselves as refined

YEAH SUNNI ARABIA BRING IT ON ETHNIC TENSION GOING DOWN NOW

completly different then

gotcha

R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

abdy

this is not a thing

it's not outrage, it's just... a very silly and archaic way to think of things.

persians =/= arabs, but like, what racial umbrella would it even come under?
    xlh6c3.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My work clothes are so tremendously preppy

It's amazing

I feel like I should be on a yacht
    simonwolf wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:

hahahah

"Fekr nakardam ke dokhtar mesleh shomah boodeh"

This is the kind of language that hypnotises me through
    turtlesig.jpg

Wikipedia wrote:

Yea, I only know the difference from having a lot of really close friends in my adult life that had parents that spoke Farsi and self identified as Persian. One thing I always wondered was how much the religion and economical/political differences really play into e choice of which to identify by. I also don't really understand enough about the religious differences for expats postcoup.
    I am however offended that you would lump my pure norse blood in with the likes of slavs and spaniards
    xlh6c3.png
    My work clothes are so tremendously preppy

It's amazing

I feel like I should be on a yacht

I am being a rebel

I am wearing my button up

untucked
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

Wikipedia wrote:

Wouldn't it be Parsi harf meezani :p

I err.

Arab = Arabian Peninsula and related diasporas

Persian = Persia

It's like asking if Italian and Germans are the same people. (possibly a bad analogy knowing the Lombards)

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    the shark thing is icelandic, and goes to show there's only so long a few people can live on an isolated island without getting a bit weird

I knew it when I was typing it, but have been up all night and am gonna have to do some research for real work soon.. Lets just go with sit in a sauna and call it even? ;)
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

Math is hard, let's make cookies.
    h1DI1.jpg
    I am however offended that you would lump my pure norse blood in with the likes of slavs and spaniards

even the slav's next closest genetic neighbor is the Bonobo. We just have to deal with it, Abdy.
    Ludious wrote: »

could it get any worse

i wonder if i could write a script to make a LoL character's ult into a suicide blast

abdy

this is not a thing

it's not outrage, it's just... a very silly and archaic way to think of things.

persians =/= arabs, but like, what racial umbrella would it even come under?

it doesn't

which was the question i originally asked and got answered
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Ludious wrote: »

could it get any worse

أو أتغذى C++ لغة
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!

Wikipedia wrote:

ffff as far as I know that is an archaic term and would never be used

Don't get fresh with me Westerner
    I probably didn't translate that properly. I took Arabic like six years ago now.

Wikipedia wrote:

I err.

Arab = Arabian Peninsula and related diasporas

Persian = Persia

It's like asking if Italian and Germans are the same people. (possibly a bad analogy knowing the Lombards)

which is a mistake someone who knows very little about Europe could make?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
This discussion has been closed.