Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    I still find it funny that Iranians can be called Persians

It just seems like it would be akin to saying i'm from Albion
    Well their language is still called Persian.* And the people have viewed themselves as Persians** for a long time. At a stretch it is more like calling yourself an Angle.

*And Farsi. Yeah motherfuckers, we're too good to just have one name for things.

**And 'Persian' is a broader ethnic term; there are Persians in Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, etc, but only Iranian refers to the nationality

so {Persian} and {Iranian} overlap quite a bit, but aren't necessarily equal
    Isn't Farsi just the word Persian gone through the wringer of Arabic?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Native Iranian Persian speakers call it Fārsi.[21] Farsi is the arabicized form of Pārsi, due to a lack of the 'p' phoneme in Standard Arabic (i.e., the 'p' was replaced with an 'f').[22][23] The origin of the name Farsi and the place of origin of the language which is Fars is, of course, the arabicized form of Pârs. In English, this language has historically been known as "Persian", though "Farsi" has also gained some currency. According to the OED, the term Farsi was first used in English in 1926, while Parsi dates to 1790.[21] "Farsi" is encountered in some linguistic literature as a name for the language, used both by Iranian and by foreign authors.[24] The Academy of Persian Language and Literature has declared that the name "Persian" is more appropriate, as it has the longer tradition in the western languages and better expresses the role of the language as a mark of cultural and national continuity.[25] Some Persian language scholars such as Ehsan Yarshater, editor of Encyclopædia Iranica, and University of Arizona professor Kamran Talattof, have also rejected the usage of "Farsi" in their articles.[26][27]

I wasn't even aware of that. I just know in conversation you either ask "Farsi harf meezani?" or "Irooni harf meezani?" but never "Persian harf meezani?"

(All just mean "Do you speak...")
    Wouldn't it be Parsi harf meezani :p

ffff as far as I know that is an archaic term and would never be used

Don't get fresh with me Westerner

We westerners can't help that we know how to use deodorant. We're always fresh. You're always ripe.

Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    grah what is it with this girl and sending invites months in advance

wine and shellfish night sounds like fun though.

although if I'm gonna go or not depends on whether or not the only two other dudes invited show up.

One's been in hawaii and it'd be cool to say hi, the other fucked one of the girls at the party last time she and her and I were out together and I'm curious how that's gonna go.
    xlh6c3.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I am however offended that you would lump my pure norse blood in with the likes of slavs and spaniards

even the slav's next closest genetic neighbor is the Bonobo. We just have to deal with it, Abdy.

as a slav,

fuck both of you
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Well their language is still called Persian.* And the people have viewed themselves as Persians** for a long time. At a stretch it is more like calling yourself an Angle.

*And Farsi. Yeah motherfuckers, we're too good to just have one name for things.

**And 'Persian' is a broader ethnic term; there are Persians in Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, etc, but only Iranian refers to the nationality

i have sometimes wondered about the difference between ethnic Arabs and ethinic Persians

are Persians a different racial category completly from Arabs or is it like how Caucasians and Hispanics both come under the "white" umbrella?

it's more like, why the hell are you using racial categories are you from the 20s

abdy

why are you trying to turn this into a thing

this is not a thing

take your outrage elsewhere

it's not outrage, it's just... a very silly and archaic way to think of things.

persians =/= arabs, but like, what racial umbrella would it even come under?

it doesn't

which was the question i originally asked and got answered

I can tell you I get annoyed when I'm filling out some application and it asks for Ethnicity, and the categories are:

Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic
    Caucasian (Non-Hispanic White, includes Middle Eastern)

THE HELL IT DOES
    Hakkekage on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My work clothes are so tremendously preppy

It's amazing

I feel like I should be on a yacht

I am being a rebel

I am wearing my button up

untucked

You should take it off and wind a heavy object into each arm

Then you would have untucked nunchucks

i have sometimes wondered about the difference between ethnic Arabs and ethinic Persians

are Persians a different racial category completly from Arabs or is it like how Caucasians and Hispanics both come under the "white" umbrella?

it's more like, why the hell are you using racial categories are you from the 20s

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

I'm still going to mock you a little for your 1920s understanding of anthropology
    xlh6c3.png
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I speak programming languages, does that count as polylingual ?

If you actually speak them, yeah, but who would want to hang around you?

All my friends. These computers. Checkmate atheists.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ugh, code talk and arab talk

could it get any worse

could you talk about LoL in a combination of code and arab

You're just a southern racist that's bad at video gems. Farsi is a beautiful language! Listening to a non-spoiled persian princess IRL roll her ls is up there with Latinas and their r's and "aye Papi's." plus the skills such linguistics talents imply in the boudoir. ;)
    MadCaddy on
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

I can tell you I get annoyed when I'm filling out some application and it asks for Ethnicity, and the categories are:

Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic

THE HELL IT DOES

do as I do

cross it out and write "Aryan"
    xlh6c3.png

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic

THE HELL IT DOES

those are some wierd racial groupings

middle eastern counts as white but hispanic doesn't?

who wrote that?
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »

could it get any worse

You're just a southern racist that's bad at video gems. Farsi is a beautiful language! Listening to a non-spoiled persian princess IRL roll her ls is up there with Latinas and their r's and "aye Papi's." plus the skills such linguistics talents imply in the boudoir. ;)

get your fetishization out of here, papi
    Hey I am NOT bad at video games
    edited May 2013

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

I'm still going to mock you a little for your 1920s understanding of anthropology

*shrug*

if you need me i'll be over here doing my thing not caring very much
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    I am however offended that you would lump my pure norse blood in with the likes of slavs and spaniards

even the slav's next closest genetic neighbor is the Bonobo. We just have to deal with it, Abdy.

as a slav,

fuck both of you

As a mostly dutch-Irish

not with a pole's dick

Wikipedia wrote:
    Native Iranian Persian speakers call it Fārsi.[21] Farsi is the arabicized form of Pārsi, due to a lack of the 'p' phoneme in Standard Arabic (i.e., the 'p' was replaced with an 'f').[22][23] The origin of the name Farsi and the place of origin of the language which is Fars is, of course, the arabicized form of Pârs. In English, this language has historically been known as "Persian", though "Farsi" has also gained some currency. According to the OED, the term Farsi was first used in English in 1926, while Parsi dates to 1790.[21] "Farsi" is encountered in some linguistic literature as a name for the language, used both by Iranian and by foreign authors.[24] The Academy of Persian Language and Literature has declared that the name "Persian" is more appropriate, as it has the longer tradition in the western languages and better expresses the role of the language as a mark of cultural and national continuity.[25] Some Persian language scholars such as Ehsan Yarshater, editor of Encyclopædia Iranica, and University of Arizona professor Kamran Talattof, have also rejected the usage of "Farsi" in their articles.[26][27]

I wasn't even aware of that. I just know in conversation you either ask "Farsi harf meezani?" or "Irooni harf meezani?" but never "Persian harf meezani?"

I err.

Arab = Arabian Peninsula and related diasporas

Persian = Persia

It's like asking if Italian and Germans are the same people. (possibly a bad analogy knowing the Lombards)

which is a mistake someone who knows very little about Europe could make?

I think the real issue is that If you don't know that about Europe and you exist in the world, you would be considered ignorant /living under a rock no matter where you were because knowledge of Europe and North America holds global cultural hegemony

In other words white ppl m i rite lol
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic

THE HELL IT DOES

Embrace your white privilege Hakks
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    I remember reading about how US law used to be that only Caucasians could become naturalised citizens of the United States

and an Indian Sikh guy in the 1920s took this to the Supreme Court, arguing that, as an Indian, he belonged to the Aryan, and therefore Caucasian, racial group

and the court's response was basically, "well, uh, clearly the law means real Caucasians, buddy"
    turtlesig.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my belly, so full
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    my belly, so full

what did you do o_o

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Germanic descent or bust!

Wait.....
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK

Wikipedia wrote:

I err.

Arab = Arabian Peninsula and related diasporas

Persian = Persia

It's like asking if Italian and Germans are the same people. (possibly a bad analogy knowing the Lombards)

which is a mistake someone who knows very little about Europe could make?

I think the real issue is that If you don't know that about Europe and you exist in the world, you would be considered ignorant /living under a rock no matter where you were because knowledge of Europe and North America holds global cultural hegemony

In other words white ppl m i rite lol

fucking honkeys
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic

THE HELL IT DOES
    The ethnic groups on our forms are somewhat telling.

White British
    White (other)
    Indian
    Pakistani
    White Irish
    Mixed
    Black Caribbean
    Black African
    Bangladeshi
    Chinese
    Other Asian (non-Chinese)
    Black (others)
    Other

edit: Caucasian is such a misused term. Good lord.
    Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Quadrilingual for four, god, do any of you speak Latin?

Me and my frater Sextus do.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic

THE HELL IT DOES

those are some wierd racial groupings

middle eastern counts as white but hispanic doesn't?

who wrote that?

My college sure did think so, especially in Financial Aid applications :P

In that case, though, I think it's because Rutgers has a VERY HIGH Indian/Asian/"Other" population relative to other universities
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Germanic descent or bust!

Wait.....

party foul
    I am sad the indian fenrik I had did not opt to use the military turban.

the other fenrik suggested that they have the indian in turban with the sabre shouting hindi and him translating "the fenrik wishes that you carry this out with some speed."
    xlh6c3.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I was at the doctor once and the ethnicity listed on a form I had to sign was

"Hispanic?"

I'm so mysterious even doctors have to guess
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I'm sad I wasn't offered the option. It'd be badass.
    xlh6c3.png
    Organichu wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »

could it get any worse

get your fetishization out of here, papi

Oh, like you wouldn't go on and on about a girl who said, "lame mi culo, Papi's" in chat for weeks.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Haha white irish
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.

abdy

this is not a thing

it doesn't

Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic

THE HELL IT DOES
    The ethnic groups on our forms are somewhat telling.

White British
    White (other)
    Indian
    Pakistani
    White Irish
    Mixed
    Black Caribbean
    Black African
    Bangladeshi
    Chinese
    Other Asian (non-Chinese)
    Black (others)
    Other

edit: Caucasian is such a misused term. Good lord.

Ain't no love for the Arabs
    And I'm the one in a committed relationship, just trying to pass his wisdom on to young whipper snappers still in the game. ;)
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    t
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Tri-lingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bi-lingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks one language? An American.

What about quarter-lingual

I'm murikan and I can curse a lot in another language

so that has to count for something

Em fucked up the joke. Trilingual is supposed to be polyglot

no a polyglot is someone who's like a genius but with languages, isn't it?

my sister is trilingual and my parents sort-of quadrilingual, it's not that hard

all you need to do is go live somewhere they speak another language and presto

For the purpose of the joke, a polyglot is "someone who speaks many languages". This is a totally valid definition and macks jook werk.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    I'm not even sure what caucasian means anymore
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Black/African-American
    Native American
    Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic

Yeah, this is the biggest pile of dumb I have ever seen.
    meat.jpg
    Haha white irish

I'm reminded of the Propositon.

"for what is an irishman, ..."
    xlh6c3.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I guess a silver lining is that now I can order all the parts for that computer
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Hey I am NOT bad at video games

He said you were bad at video gems.
    h1DI1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.