Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    it's mainly the bit about game events being in ny, la, etc

like maybe it's because i'm used to art scenes by this point but like, yes. often times to break into a scene you have to be around and actively participate in it? or like i guess i don't see why it's so upsetting that there are hot spots in the indie games culture where a lot of people who participate in that culture live

it's like the cliche that if you want to be a fine artist, you had better move to new york. sure it might help, but it's not even remotely the only way and the idea that if you're not in new york city you can't succeed as an artist is a buncha crap. this seems similar

and then the jab at bioshock at the end just made me roll my eyes so

it's upsetting because not being able to participate in events that take place in large metro areas like LA, NYC, SF et cetera is a huge roadblock that stands in the way of recognition and achievement

and if you're not lucky enough to live there already, and you don't have the means to move there

then i guess you're just fucked, aren't you?

i don't understand the alternative being proposed here, though. have those events everywhere? that'd be great, and i'm sure if you asked anyone they'd love for that to happen. but there just isn't the infrastructure or demand outside of those areas for that to be feasible. otherwise there would be events happening in those places already

or do you just want those events to not happen? that also seems backward to me

and like i said, no. no i don't think you're fucked just because you don't live in those places. just like i don't think i'm fucked as an artist because i live in indiana.

I haven't seen anyone respond to this. Independent game production is a business like any other, and just like any profession, networking and communicating with your peers is invaluable. Professional awards and events are crucial both to your visibility as an entity, and to the continued growth of the industry.

Unless you are proposing that these events should be held in a virtual world that everyone can hook up to, what do you expect? You do not have to live in LA to make a good game that gets publicly recognized. Industry events are going to happen in major metro areas because yeah, that's how conferences work. I mean, what would the difference be if they were held in Chicago or Tuscaloosa or Indianapolis? It's always going to be far away for someone. And if there's already a deal in place for convention space in a set location every year, where a large portion of the peers already live, why would they move it around the country? That shit is expensive, like, millions of dollars expensive. This part of the article seems to just bemoan the fact that the conferences aren't happening in Second Life.

well, sure, why not

video games are a digital medium why not focus more on digital networking to be able to include people who are not able to go to conventions

i feel like you don't even understand the basic appeal of events like these

hint: it is meeting and conversing with your peers face to face
  • AshcroftAshcroft Gimme dem Yens Registered User regular
    The new Chie voice is fine. Phew.
    yipyip3.png
  • KilroyKilroy Seer of Heart Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    does anyone have the link to that picture of ryan being completely unimpressed with the rollercoaster?

On my phone so I don't know if this will work.

https://mobile.twitter.com/taswell/status/307319463114588160/photo/1

you are a saint and a scholar
    Steam brotimes Xbox Live: DigitalGravitas
  • KilroyKilroy Seer of Heart Registered User regular
    metalman and flashman have both fallen

thanks for the advice about beating metalman first. that definitely makes things easier
    Steam brotimes Xbox Live: DigitalGravitas
  • AshcroftAshcroft Gimme dem Yens Registered User regular
    Oh man Charlie is talking. Shut up Charlie, grunts and nods only please.
    yipyip3.png
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    The way Vinny says ALIEN KING is the best.
    Averylistensig_zpsbaf5e2c6.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular

okay, what if you can't make it to these events
    personaqn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Registered User regular
    Okay I bought all the Sleepy D story DLC

Gonna Kung Fu it up tonight
    avengers_sig.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | last.fm
  • T4CTT4CT i'm pretty specific hi i am mikeRegistered User regular

Then you didn't make it to these events
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Metal Man is definitely the easier route. But I always started with Air Man. Although I played through Mega Man 2 like ten times and discovered the Metal Man route myself.

In retrospect, I don't know why so many of us started with Air Man. Is it because it's not really obvious that anything beats air? Or maybe it was some advice in Nintendo Power? Probably Nintendo Power. Nintendo Power is the only reason any kid of that generation ever beat Castlevania 2.
    august on
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    face | zune | last.fm | steam
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

not being able to attend events like GDC and rub elbows and quote-unquote network has deeper consequences than just "oh, i didn't get to go, bummer" if you're trying to actually establish a foothold in the industry, though
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    "questgiver, that's what you DESERVE, Wonder Man"

oh, Ryan 8->
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Sleepy Dogs just got ten times cooler.
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

not being able to attend events like GDC and rub elbows and quote-unquote network has deeper consequences than just "oh, i didn't get to go, bummer" if you're trying to actually establish a foothold in the industry, though

That's kind of how it is in every industry though. Gaming isn't worth singling out as classist and/or racist due to events like these, because geographic location has been a factor of economic mobility since forever.

that doesn't make it any more defensible
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular

Yes I was going to post that but the English version I'm far more familiar with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjLouGft9kY
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

That's kind of how it is in every industry though. Gaming isn't worth singling out as classist and/or racist due to events like these, because geographic location has been a factor of economic mobility since forever.

that doesn't make it any more defensible

I think a requirement of having to defend yourself from allowing a problem to occur should include being able to do a goddamn thing about it. City's are centers of commerce, which includes video games. Whether that can or should change is waaaaaaaaay beyond the scope of this argument or anyone involved for that matter.
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I can beat Air Man.

Get at me.
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    face | zune | last.fm | steam
    plus, not being able to take immediate action about a problem doesn't preclude anyone from calling out how incredibly fucked up it is
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I can beat Air Man.

Get at me.

video or it didn't happen
    FREEZE. Cool your jets. Ice to meet you. Take a chill pill. Stay frosty.
    subzeroice.gif
    quite frankly if you can't find a big publisher or fork up ten thousand dollars for a patch I don't understand why you should be able to distribute video games at all
    personaqn.png
    I mean geez the internet is what allowed this surge of indie games in the first place

fifteen years ago an indie game was a shareware pc title and people would scoff at the idea of playing them on your playstation and there wasn't any steam
    personaqn.png
  • MrDapperMrDapper Two Sides of A Coin Registered User regular
    I remember I had something that made the mega man theme and the boss screen happen everytime I opened a program.

It was fucking awesome.
    iExidXCdtAXFB.jpg
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    Not everyone has the opportunity to do everything they want. Life's hard like that.
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I mean geez the internet is what allowed this surge of indie games in the first place

fifteen years ago an indie game was a shareware pc title and people would scoff at the idea of playing them on your playstation and there wasn't any steam

All of that is great!

But none of it is a substitute for making a face to face connection, and having a conference in a major city is currently the best way to do that. You can do as much internet correspondence as you want, but it's not a substitution for the intangible qualities of just talking in the same room together.

We wouldn't even have conferences if that wasn't true, just formal internet chat rooms.
  • ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    deep
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have to make a stand

spark man has the best level theme. bubble man is rad and all, but it's no spark man.
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I have to make a stand

spark man has the best level theme. bubble man is rad and all, but it's no spark man.

Maybe from the Mega Man games

but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkGroUOEsk
    FREEZE. Cool your jets. Ice to meet you. Take a chill pill. Stay frosty.
    subzeroice.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    who cares which robot master song is the best they all pale in comparison to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-PxsMUIMp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQgYfyUdDs
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    I mean, I AM pretty smart
    2wrn580.png
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    quite frankly if you can't find a big publisher or fork up ten thousand dollars for a patch I don't understand why you should be able to distribute video games at all

a sane distribution channel wouldn't strongarm publishers and developers into paying ten thousand dollars per patch in the first place

All of that is great!

But none of it is a substitute for making a face to face connection, and having a conference in a major city is currently the best way to do that. You can do as much internet correspondence as you want, but it's not a substitution for the intangible qualities of just talking in the same room together.

We wouldn't even have conferences if that wasn't true, just formal internet chat rooms.

have gdc in san francisco, nobody's talking about getting rid of that

but there must be some way of broadening the currently rather narrow indie games scene of people who are able to attend video game conventions
    personaqn.png
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    Host another convention. Boom done hand me a cheque.
    aX9Hboj.jpg