Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    Set up an "indie scholarship" fund that helps impoverished developers make conventions. Boom done hand me a cheque.
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Accusing the entire indie game industry of being racist and classist is a pretty serious accusation, and when your only evidence to support this claim is an observation of something that is true for pretty much every industry, I don't see the point behind writing a blog post about it. If you have some specific or general example of how this is a particular problem in the indie game scene, or have suggestions on how the unique structure of the indie game scene might allow it to change this situation where another industry could not, then I would love to read about that. But I didn't read anything in that post that couldn't be said about any other industry.
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    plus, not being able to take immediate action about a problem doesn't preclude anyone from calling out how incredibly fucked up it is

Sure, but it's just realising that gaming suffers from social inequality, same as everything else.
    -Tal wrote: »
    I mean geez the internet is what allowed this surge of indie games in the first place

fifteen years ago an indie game was a shareware pc title and people would scoff at the idea of playing them on your playstation and there wasn't any steam

And congregating in physical locations is what allowed them to gain legitimacy and develop into something bigger, with more attention and funding. A solid foundation is what allows for support to be given to those who might lack for resources and accessibility, like Sony's pub fund and the moves Nintendo are making.

I would consider attending events/conventions an investment for up-and-coming developers due to the connections you might make. It's an option that's not available to everyone, but it's not necessary.
    Make the entry fee to GDC a video game programmed by yourself boom done cheque
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I mean geez the internet is what allowed this surge of indie games in the first place

fifteen years ago an indie game was a shareware pc title and people would scoff at the idea of playing them on your playstation and there wasn't any steam

All of that is great!

But none of it is a substitute for making a face to face connection, and having a conference in a major city is currently the best way to do that. You can do as much internet correspondence as you want, but it's not a substitution for the intangible qualities of just talking in the same room together.

We wouldn't even have conferences if that wasn't true, just formal internet chat rooms.

have gdc in san francisco, nobody's talking about getting rid of that

but there must be some way of broadening the currently rather narrow indie games scene of people who are able to attend video game conventions

The best way would be to start up local Game Jams all over the place and make it so there's not a day where an indie developer doesn't have something they could be doing on this site.

If the nearest big city doesn't have a at least yearly game jam, make one. Find like minded people in the area and network with them. It doesn't matter if it's held in someone's basement or garage, build up the face to face interaction with people within your community.

While it may not be as great as being able to attend GDC or IGF or PAXDEV (I'm not sure if that's the name or not), but it's a start towards those things.
    steam_sig.png
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Craft websites for the explicit purpose of networking, get people to use them. I mean Sony was on twitter asking indie devs to contact them. If you're after the talks from GDC establish a TED style site for video game lessons. The more people use these sites the more comfortable they'll be networking over them.

these are some pretty good ideas to broaden the scene, and I'm glad you recognize there is a problem with possible solutions instead of denying that there is a problem or that even if there is a problem there's nothing we can do
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
  • AshcroftAshcroft Gimme dem Yens Registered User regular
    I can totally understand why someone would just watch P4A on YouTube. The fighting's decent enough, but this story mode is so slow paced that the dual shock keeps turning off.
    yipyip3.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Gabe Newell or Chris Avellone or Brad Muir
    all three of these guys are white dudes
    yeah they had to work hard but they also have advantages there
    15Tpj.jpeg
    edited May 2013
    There is nothing stopping any of the ideas I have supplied being tailored to help minorities beyond the unwillingness of someone to enact them.
    I needed a name to post. on
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaand this is the point in these arguments where i have to check the fuck out because people have spiraled it from a niche subject that i'm reasonably informed on to something i'd sweat about trying to do justice with a fucking omnibus of material in front of me.

The indie gaming scene is not where those battles are fought, though they're certainly felt there as much as anything else is.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Everything is white people.
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

That isn't really relevant to the discussion at hand, which is that if networking at specific places is a problem, the solutions merely require action and work by someone to do something elsewhere or create something online as a response.

It is an accepted given that minorities have it harder in America. That doesn't mean that the listed examples didn't work, which was the entire point.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

Okay how about Supergiant Games?

A team so multicultural that they probably run errands for Gaia in their spare time.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    what about them?
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
    it is absolutely relevant that the most prominent successful people under the current system are white men
    personaqn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well I mean if we're going to dismiss people who have succeeded entirely on the basis that they're white guys I thought I might offer an alternative that is a team with representation from roughly half a dozen ethnicities.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
    it is absolutely relevant that the most prominent successful people under the current system are white men

It is relevant to why you feel there is a problem with the current system, it is not relevant to proposed solutions that are unaffected by race unless you imagine I was saying "Create a website that only white guys can use".
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    time to abandon ship

every man for himself
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Sorry to butt into this discussion, but look at this fucking Animal Crossing: New Leaf book.

tumblr_mf51p98ngE1r4yzs3o1_500.jpg

swear to god they had better translate that thing
    3DS: 3093 - 7107 - 5265 Steam: VALVeJunkie XBL/PSN: ValveJunky
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    do you feel that the feasibility of suggestions like "host another convention" or "set up an 'indie scholarship' fund" or "make the entry fee to the GDC a game programmed by yourself" is unaffected by race
    edited May 2013

It is relevant to why you feel there is a problem with the current system, it is not relevant to proposed solutions that are unaffected by race unless you imagine I was saying "Create a website that only white guys can use".

yeah, I'm talking about why there is a problem with the current system and not about your proposed solutions which I think are good

this is the part of your post that I am talking about
    I'm not taking action against the state of indie social networking because I don't think there's an actual problem. I subscribe to the school of it not being easy, but an incredible amount of the game industry not being easy either. Gabe Newell or Chris Avellone or Brad Muir didn't get where they are because it was easy for them. It was hard, and it's hard for AAA, and it's hard for indies, oh well.
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
  • rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Sorry to butt into this discussion, but look at this fucking Animal Crossing: New Leaf book.

I wish Harvest Moon got this kind of love. I guess I'll settle for numerous and increasingly mediocre releases
    rfilyaw on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    that's a lot of pages and also probably so expensive

don't care, still want
    rfilyaw wrote: »

I wish Harvest Moon got this kind of love. I guess I'll settle for numerous and increasingly mediocre releases

Well hey look on the bright side

I hear the latest one is pretty damn good
    camo_sig2.png
  • rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »

Well hey look on the bright side

I hear the latest one is pretty damn good

It's a lot better than the 4 titles preceeding it, but it has problems. I couldn't stick with it, but maybe that's my fault
    do you feel that the feasibility of suggestions like "host another convention" or "set up an 'indie scholarship' fund" or "make the entry fee to the GDC a game programmed by yourself" is unaffected by race

Are you asking me if I'm not aware that minorities have it harder in western culture due to various socioeconomic historical reasons that persist to the common day?
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    Why does "Yu" have the same voice actor as Adachi?

It's weirding me out just a little bit.
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Have you ever seen the two in the same place at once?!

Oh wait, yeah, I guess we see that a lot nevermind.
    camo_sig2.png
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well I mean if we're going to dismiss people who have succeeded entirely on the basis that they're white guys I thought I might offer an alternative that is a team with representation from roughly half a dozen ethnicities.

no one is dismissing those guys

the blog post posits that a major problem with the current indie games scene is that it is insular, and insular in a way that favors white men with money

I needed a name to post says there is not a problem, the industry is just hard and requires hard work, and cites three successes under the current system all of whom are white men
    personaqn.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Persona tradition

Persona 4 big spoilers
    The main character and the villain are always voiced by the same person
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular

Are you asking me if I'm not aware that minorities have it harder in western culture due to various socioeconomic historical reasons that persist to the common day?

in a roundabout way, i suppose that i'm asking you if the suggestions you posted were earnest
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Persona tradition

Persona 4 big spoilers
    The main character and the villain are always voiced by the same person

Ah, I guess it makes sense then.
    okay I cannot deal with three people having lutece avatars
    personaqn.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    so if he had said someone like I don't know.. jade raymond instead of chris avellone we wouldn't be on this tangent at all?