Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Why the fuck doesn't everything just come out on iOS and Google Glass already

Why the fuck isn't Mirror's Edge 2 a google glass game

Let's run away together
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Lawsuit Glass
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I realize you're trying to be cool by A. implying that critique of bioshock infinite is only based on the sheen of its newness wearing off and B. suggesting those people that do criticize it are part of some otherized groupthink whose opinions are a result of some form of bandwagoning and are thus impure compared to your own

but there are some pretty significant flaws with the game that are invisible to or offhandedly rejected by many people who play video games and the individuals that see those flaws and cannot abide them are not new and are not baseless in their condemnations

Sure

I'll be the first to admit BioShock Infinite is flawed

I guess I just like seeing the flaws discussed by people that have actually played and experienced the game, though

A lot of times around here I'll see people just constantly bitching about games (and not doing much else), but refrain from speaking about their own personal experiences playing it, or even giving any indication that they did. It irritates the hell out of me.

I think a lot of the flaws people find in Bioshock Infinite are fairly general enough where you don't always have to frame an entire personal opinion within the context of playing it, or a lot of the problems people have with it, including myself, extend to people glossing over or ignoring criticism with the game itself rather than talking exclusively about the game and how it executed a lot of its themes.

With me, I played the game at a friend's, and I thought the gameplay was serviceable, the story itself alright, the setting and music gorgeous, but the way it handled a lot of itself felt so hamfisted, half-arsed, and in a lot of ways offensive. Hell the entire portion with the
    Boxer Revolution display

Made me squirm and instantly dislike what the game had been trying to do, because it hit a very personal chord with me, and it basically turned a very significant historical event into a pastiche, a backdrop for some unrelated drama that only garishly threw around dated references and stigmas and prejoratives without actually addressing the true horror of such imagery, And essentially making me feel like my heritage was nothing more than colourful decoration for a haunted house.
    daft2.gif
  • T4CTT4CT i'm pretty specific hi i am mikeRegistered User regular
    Like basically I think people are too quick to link to critical articles about games rather than just speaking in their own words

I don't care if this other person can articulate it better than you. I don't interact with them on a message board.

You played it and found it flawed? Fine. You tell me the flaws that you think it had and how it diminished your experience.

OR exclusively state your experience and not give a FUCK cause life is about living man there's no time for explanations you just gotta ACT and if people need explanations for being the way you are they are DEAD WEIGHT and don't DESERVE YOU
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Like basically I think people are too quick to link to critical articles about games rather than just speaking in their own words

I don't care if this other person can articulate it better than you. I don't interact with them on a message board.

You played it and found it flawed? Fine. You tell me the flaws that you think it had and how it diminished your experience.

OR exclusively state your experience and not give a FUCK cause life is about living man there's no time for explanations you just gotta ACT and if people need explanations for being the way you are they are DEAD WEIGHT and don't DESERVE YOU

So how bout them Metal Gear videos
    daft2.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I realize you're trying to be cool by A. implying that critique of bioshock infinite is only based on the sheen of its newness wearing off and B. suggesting those people that do criticize it are part of some otherized groupthink whose opinions are a result of some form of bandwagoning and are thus impure compared to your own

but there are some pretty significant flaws with the game that are invisible to or offhandedly rejected by many people who play video games and the individuals that see those flaws and cannot abide them are not new and are not baseless in their condemnations

Sure

I'll be the first to admit BioShock Infinite is flawed

I guess I just like seeing the flaws discussed by people that have actually played and experienced the game, though

A lot of times around here I'll see people just constantly bitching about games (and not doing much else), but refrain from speaking about their own personal experiences playing it, or even giving any indication that they did. It irritates the hell out of me.

I think a lot of the flaws people find in Bioshock Infinite are fairly general enough where you don't always have to frame an entire personal opinion within the context of playing it, or a lot of the problems people have with it, including myself, extend to people glossing over or ignoring criticism with the game itself rather than talking exclusively about the game and how it executed a lot of its themes.

With me, I played the game at a friend's, and I thought the gameplay was serviceable, the story itself alright, the setting and music gorgeous, but the way it handled a lot of itself felt so hamfisted, half-arsed, and in a lot of ways offensive. Hell the entire portion with the
    Boxer Revolution display

Made me squirm and instantly dislike what the game had been trying to do, because it hit a very personal chord with me, and it basically turned a very significant historical event into a pastiche, a backdrop for some unrelated drama that only garishly threw around dated references and stigmas and prejoratives without actually addressing the true horror of such imagery, And essentially making me feel like my heritage was nothing more than colourful decoration for a haunted house.

I can see that

With that whole bit, the game itself became the very thing it was trying to demonize
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Gatsby wrote: »

So how bout them Metal Gear videos

We recorded ya shithead

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I've recently got a friend into Giant Bomb (at least the Bombcast) and I'm trying to get him into some of the on-camera videos so he can have a better face-to-voice experience going on.

What are some good recommended videos to link him for such a thing? I'm assuming some random all-members TNT or one of the recent Professional Wednesday videos.
    aqMzB.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Gamertag: Car1gt // Facebook // Twitter
    Why the fuck doesn't everything just come out on iOS and Google Glass already

Why the fuck isn't Mirror's Edge 2 a google glass game

Let's run away together

I've packed my cozy lets bucket shoot comrade
    Okay, so I'm kinda wondering just how PlayStation Plus keeps track of shit

If you have any free games, when your subscription is up, you won't be able to play them unless you re-subscribe

I always naturally thought this meant you'd have to be online when playing those games, so that it would check that you're indeed still a Plus member

But I was just randomly signed out of Plus while playing Guacamelee and thought I'd do a little experiment and booted up Sleeping Dogs just fine

So how does it perform that check, exactly?
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoyed that article that Anti posted.

But man, that was a really bad final sentence.

It's like, "Here, let me make a bunch of cogent points about the flaws in how the indie game scene currently operates and then suddenly take a dig at a really popular AAA game, AW YEAH INDIE CRED!"

EDIT: I get the point the author was making with that final thought; it was just worded in possibly the most irritating and smug way possible.
    Stilts on
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
    edited May 2013

If you have any free games, when your subscription is up, you won't be able to play them unless you re-subscribe

I always naturally thought this meant you'd have to be online when playing those games, so that it would check that you're indeed still a Plus member

But I was just randomly signed out of Plus while playing Guacamelee and thought I'd do a little experiment and booted up Sleeping Dogs just fine

Are the free games (like in this case Sleeping Dogs) free forever as long as you have a sub or are they limited time?
    Helpless Rock on
    aqMzB.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    I've recently got a friend into Giant Bomb (at least the Bombcast) and I'm trying to get him into some of the on-camera videos so he can have a better face-to-voice experience going on.

What are some good recommended videos to link him for such a thing? I'm assuming some random all-members TNT or one of the recent Professional Wednesday videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjDNYE66jk

Also the Mailbags and I Love Mondays, and the Bioshock Infinite Spoilercast if they've finished that game.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg

Are the free games (like in this case Sleeping Dogs) free forever as long as you have a sub or are they limited time?

Okay, so the way it works is games will go up for free on the store for a limited time. So Sleeping Dogs just went up, it should be available on the store until the beginning of June

During that time if you have a Plus account, you can "buy" it on your Plus account (for free) by going to the store and doing the ordering process like normal. You don't have to actually download it at that time if you don't want to.

From that point on, it's free to play forever as long as you have a sub. So it's definitely a service that becomes more valuable the longer time you have it, as you're going to be accruing all the new free games that hit every month.

Nearly all sales on the store though will have a reduced price for non-members, and then an even further reduced price for Plus members. Those games, once you buy them, they're yours. You can let your Plus run out and still play those.
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    you get them while they're free, they add to your account. Then you can play them so long as you're subbed to PS+
    Yeah. That.

Brevity is not my strong point.
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    it's okay writing lots of words isn't mine either. That's why this essay is kicking me in the teeth.

Gatsby where's the new AusPAX thread? I am lost without it

Okay, so the way it works is games will go up for free on the store for a limited time. So Sleeping Dogs just went up, it should be available on the store until the beginning of June

During that time if you have a Plus account, you can "buy" it on your Plus account (for free) by going to the store and doing the ordering process like normal. You don't have to actually download it at that time if you don't want to.

From that point on, it's free to play forever as long as you have a sub. So it's definitely a service that becomes more valuable the longer time you have it, as you're going to be accruing all the new free games that hit every month.

Nearly all sales on the store though will have a reduced price for non-members, and then an even further reduced price for Plus members. Those games, once you buy them, they're yours. You can let your Plus run out and still play those.

In that case I imagine if you just never sign in again you'd be able to use all those free plus games, but the PS3 is really good (or bad, depending on view) about forcing you to sign in so I bet it's mostly a non-issue.

I doubt there is a large group of people paying for Plus for a while, gathering free/discounted games, and then unplugging their PS3 from the internet forever and canceling plus to keep the games still.
    aqMzB.jpg
    edited May 2013
    probably when you connect without plus it trips a flag that is like 'This account ain't PS+ anymore, disable these games until you get the countersignal' or something

this is of course baseless speculation
    Jintor on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    it's okay writing lots of words isn't mine either. That's why this essay is kicking me in the teeth.

Gatsby where's the new AusPAX thread? I am lost without it

Viv said she was restructuring it so whenever she has the time, I imagine.
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    So I just got to the part of the P4 ER where
    They have Chi and Yukiko as their girlfriends

PLEASE tell me this bites them in the ass and someone gets theit shit wrecked
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg

In that case I imagine if you just never sign in again you'd be able to use all those free plus games, but the PS3 is really good (or bad, depending on view) about forcing you to sign in so I bet it's mostly a non-issue.

I doubt there is a large group of people paying for Plus for a while, gathering free/discounted games, and then unplugging their PS3 from the internet forever and canceling plus to keep the games still.

Me when the ps4 comes out
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So I just got to the part of the P4 ER where
    They have Chi and Yukiko as their girlfriends

PLEASE tell me this bites them in the ass and someone gets theit shit wrecked
    Unfortunately they are not playing Golden
    Wait, what? What did Golden change?
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Wait, what? What did Golden change?
    the girls figure out that you're cheating on them
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
    Rise's thing on V-day
    if you cheated on her is fucking heartbreaking.
    I can't believe that wasn't in the original
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Oh my god

The class trip

THE CLASS TRIP

I think I need a PSP Vita a Golden now
    oh hey I'm also doing that candy box game, which special sword should I get? Health restoring, summoning, or fire?
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    summon sword is useful in hell, but apperently not much else? i went fire sword and didn't get too far. i suggest health.
    edited May 2013
    Oh my god

The class trip

THE CLASS TRIP

I think I need a PSP Vita a Golden now

I put like 124 hours into Golden over two weeks

admittedly it was christmas and new years so I was good to just laze around the house playing games but still
    Jintor on
    GIF makers I have a request, I would like a GIF of Ryan and Drew's avatars doing that little jig during the character select screen of Crash Course 2 please.
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    probably when you connect without plus it trips a flag that is like 'This account ain't PS+ anymore, disable these games until you get the countersignal' or something

this is of course baseless speculation

My guess is they just put your PS+ expiration date somewhere on the console and uses that to restrict it, so if you say disconnect your PS3 from the internet, when your sub enddate comes up access will be restricted.
    But you can change your internal clock
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    oh hey I'm also doing that candy box game, which special sword should I get? Health restoring, summoning, or fire?

Fire.
    Pony_Sig.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    You could protect against that by having an internal unchangable clock for sub checking purposes, make it so the saved sub enddate changes whenever you change the time, or set it up so the enddate is saved as seconds into the future so it's seperate from the clock entirely. That is of course if saving the enddate is what they do.
  • ShenShen Registered User regular

I think it checks the duration of your PS+ subscription at time of purchase and logs that to the system's internal memory (so changing the date back/forward won't do anything). If it expires while you're offline, the game is still disabled (I tried that with Wipeout HD years ago). It auto-renews titles when you update your PS+ sub:

AM8s9IU.jpg

I'm on something like 38 games from that service, pretty much never going to play them all at this point...
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    candy box is a video game about leaving your computer running overnight

So it's a secret bitcoin miner?
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    ibu4lRzTX0amF3.gif

hahahahahaha
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    Hey the good news is that my copyright claim dispute on the first few metal gear videos was approved!

The bad news is that two separate claims were put in for the video and the audio and I didn't realize that until just now and ill have to wait another month before being able to potentially make a few cents off of them while the audio claim dispute is reviewed!

God dammit!