Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    as with all map editors I like seeing what people make in Minecraft but I can't do shit in it
    personaqn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    you know what would be an interesting and creative application for minecraft

if someone could make D&D 4e maps in it
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Minecraft is amazing if you lose your job.

But yeah, most of the really big indie games are anything besides personal. The conversation surrounding them overall may be short, but that goes for big budget games as well. It's not like every big budget game is bioshock infinite. Most are like borderlands 2, fun but not real deep.
    steam_sig.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I wonder how many hours have been spent remaking sprites in minecraft

ten million hours spent on recreating eight bit marios
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    I love the early stages of starting a minecraft map

the frantic struggle to stay safe during the night time, armed with nothing but a sword made out of twigs and hiding in a small shack/ in a lit bunker undergronud

once you scale past the threat it loses my interest, though I love seeing what others can do
    2wrn580.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I actually mostly just watch one dude walking to the Far Lands in an outdated version of the game for charity.

He's raised over a million dollars for Child's Play just walking west in that game for the past two years and he likes to talk about a lot of interesting topics, from space, government spending, bullying, etc. and it's also really sweet to watch him slowly become more comfortable with his introversion over the series.
    daft2.gif
    Dichotomy wrote: »

can't you automate that stuff

personaqn.png

But yeah, most of the really big indie games are anything besides personal. The conversation surrounding them overall may be short, but that goes for big budget games as well. It's not like every big budget game is bioshock infinite. Most are like borderlands 2, fun but not real deep.

quite a few people would argue that bioshock infinite is also fun but not real deep
    personaqn.png
    It's not like every big budget game is bioshock infinite.

and thank goodness for that
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think I still have an absolutely goddamn amazing Ghibli Minecraft world saved around here somewhere

It's got the bath house from Spirited Away, the Castle in the Sky with a working switch that explodes half of the place, Totoro's tree, Howl's Castle, etc etc

Was a real treat just walking around that map
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
    the people who build working computers inside minecraft are insane
    personaqn.png
    -Tal wrote: »

quite a few people would argue that bioshock infinite is also fun but not real deep

I was going to edit that last line to say "even approaching deep or personal", but I think you get what I mean. Not every big game has a lot of artistic merit thematically, but they do fine. I'm seeing the same thing in the indie space.
    steam_sig.png
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Dichotomy wrote: »

probably about as many hours as have been spent endlessly circle jerking over which games are actually worth talking about and which games are "fun but not deep"
    minecraft and eve online make me feel like an old man at the ripe old age of 19

these things that I can see a little bit of from the outside but cannot begin to actually fathom
    personaqn.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Wait are we hating BioShock Infinite now

I just can't keep up with the invisible consensus
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
    The week I tried to get into Dwarf Fortress was like looking into the closet of a crazy person. How does anyone find the time to do all of this amazing but complex shit in these games? Even terraria was way too much for me.
    steam_sig.png
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    i dunno 'bout you but i've been hating bioshock infinite for a good while now
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The week I tried to get into Dwarf Fortress was like looking into the closet of a crazy person. How does anyone find the time to do all of this amazing but complex shit in these games? Even terraria was way too much for me.

Looking at ASCII games just makes my eyes glaze over
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i am going to keep praying a good D&D 4th edition video game comes out someday

also hoping for a transformers action rpg but haha well i'm already praying for the impossible
    15Tpj.jpeg

there is no consensus just a bunch of people with a bunch of opinions
    personaqn.png
  • MrDapperMrDapper Two Sides of A Coin Registered User regular

We hate all video games.
    iExidXCdtAXFB.jpg
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Every video games is shit a week after they are released.
    aqMzB.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Gamertag: Car1gt // Facebook // Twitter
  • ZayZay FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan Please, just call me York.Registered User regular
    Bioshock Infinite was really fun
    video games are fun, I like them
    personaqn.png
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/06/14/the-weirdness-of-gamma-world
    just gonna take a moment to mourn this game again

yes, it would've been shit

but it would've been a gamma world video game and it could've maybe prolonged the most recent iteration of the tabletop game if it came out and ;_;
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Antimatter wrote: »

also hoping for a transformers action rpg but haha well i'm already praying for the impossible

Unfortunately since WotC pretty much wrote off 4e years ago when they switched their team around to people who decided it wasn't old school enough, that seems very unlikely.

I would gladly give someone my money for a grid based, 4e turn based strategy game.
    camo_sig2.png
    I have no definitive statements to make on the quality of video games at this time
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    The studio that was going to make the gamma world game went on to start making a game based on the cable show Lost Girl, and then got closed down with no fanfare.
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

Unfortunately since WotC pretty much wrote off 4e years ago when they switched their team around to people who decided it wasn't old school enough, that seems very unlikely.

I would gladly give someone my money for a grid based, 4e turn based strategy game.

well there's going to be something

i just dont know that it'll be good or exactly what it should be
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/26/dungeons-dragons-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/
    15Tpj.jpeg
    I haven't really been able to get into Bioshock Infinite

The shooting just really doesn't feel all that great to me

I'll probably give it a few more chances though
    camo_sig2.png
  • T4CTT4CT i'm pretty specific hi i am mikeRegistered User regular
    Why the fuck doesn't everything just come out on iOS and Google Glass already

Why the fuck isn't Mirror's Edge 2 a google glass game
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I actually mostly just watch one dude walking to the Far Lands in an outdated version of the game for charity.

He's raised over a million dollars for Child's Play just walking west in that game for the past two years and he likes to talk about a lot of interesting topics, from space, government spending, bullying, etc. and it's also really sweet to watch him slowly become more comfortable with his introversion over the series.

This sounds pretty interesting. Considering he seems to be on episode 246 I don't think i'll go back and watch them all, but from watching the latest one I think I would enjoy it.

Thanks for bringing it up.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Like basically I think people are too quick to link to critical articles about games rather than just speaking in their own words

I don't care if this other person can articulate it better than you. I don't interact with them on a message board.

You played it and found it flawed? Fine. You tell me the flaws that you think it had and how it diminished your experience.
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    there's a tendency when certain games (or other things) get praised a whole bunch for the people that don't think it's as great as everyone else does to just...sound completely dismissive of any positive opinions and not really say why until they're pressed on it

and I can see why, since I assume they've explained why they don't like it a whole bunch, but it can still be irritating
    Bioshock Infinite was one of my favorite games of the generation, but it has some pretty big flaws that could bother people. I don't see how someone could say it's bad, however.
    steam_sig.png