Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    well, in fairness, the indie scene is pretty goddamn disgusting
    2wrn580.png
    I love Phil Fish but if he is a Titan of a Scene then that Scene needs to recalibrate itself in a lot of ways
    2wrn580.png
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I kind of stopped caring once he starting making pretty weird and reaching statements about how games have to try to make some sort of deep point to be considered good, and then accused the indie gaming scene of being classist and racist and then makes a bunch of silly criticisms like how success requiring networking within the industry/scene/whatever is a bad thing and offers no actual solutions to this perceived problem.

she

just because you identify a problem doesn't mean you're obligated to offer a solution
    personaqn.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    which "pretty weird and reaching statements about how games have to try to make some sort of deep point to be considered good", exactly
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    which "pretty weird and reaching statements about how games have to try to make some sort of deep point to be considered good", exactly
    i'm starting to feel like i won't be taken seriously unless i make a game that is viewed as "serious" or as "personal". i am starting to feel like unless i say my game is "about rape" or "about transphobia" or "about misogyny" (three things i know a lot about) and clearly articulate why this is the case, that i won't be taken seriously. i must be trying to achieve some kind of articulable political goal, and/or the things featured in the game must be "my" experiences. otherwise, i'm just making another stupid cartoony videogame.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
    did you actually read those words, or just the words you wanted to read
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    making "weird and reaching statements about how games have to try and make some sort of deep point to be considered good" seems like the total opposite of what she wrote
    i am extremely skeptical that making an on-the-surface "personal" game is an inherently more valid or emotionally honest way to express oneself.[...]

i'm starting to feel like i won't be taken seriously unless i make a game that is viewed as "serious" or as "personal". i am starting to feel like unless i say my game is "about rape" or "about transphobia" or "about misogyny" (three things i know a lot about) and clearly articulate why this is the case, that i won't be taken seriously. i must be trying to achieve some kind of articulable political goal, and/or the things featured in the game must be "my" experiences. otherwise, i'm just making another stupid cartoony videogame.[...]

unless you think that the last part there is a literal invocation of "games must be deep or they are bad", in which case you should work on your reading comprehension
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Where would that sentiment even come from though? For real

Because I look at some of the most celebrated games of the past year, both indie and otherwise, and that seems like a totally fabricated concern
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Maddoc I think you misread or misinterpreted something in there

and by "something" I mean "a lot of things" and by "think" I mean "I'm pretty sure"
    Sweeney Tom on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    she is saying she feels like unless you're making a "personal" game, you aren't going to get any attention or be taken seriously

ignoring games like joust and the rest of the sportsfriends package, nidhogg, towerfall, or even something like candybox

all of those are up and coming indie games that have received incredible amounts of attention and accolades, all of them fuckin' game ass games
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    she is saying she feels like unless you're making a "personal" game, you aren't going to get any attention or be taken seriously

ignoring games like joust and the rest of the sportsfriends package, nidhogg, towerfall, or even something like candybox

all of those are up and coming indie games that have received incredible amounts of attention and accolades, all of them fuckin' game ass games

do you think anyone is going to be talking about any of those games in about two months
    especially candybox, like are you kidding me

do you think anyone took candybox seriously
    vann I think you are mistaken joust is like a hella old arcade game or something

it is so old dinosaurs played it in dinosaur arcades
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i stopped playing candybox a while ago. i got to hell and stopped caring.
    Let's talk about GOTY of 2012 Frog Fractions
    2wrn580.png
    making "weird and reaching statements about how games have to try and make some sort of deep point to be considered good" seems like the total opposite of what she wrote
    i am extremely skeptical that making an on-the-surface "personal" game is an inherently more valid or emotionally honest way to express oneself.[...]

i'm starting to feel like i won't be taken seriously unless i make a game that is viewed as "serious" or as "personal". i am starting to feel like unless i say my game is "about rape" or "about transphobia" or "about misogyny" (three things i know a lot about) and clearly articulate why this is the case, that i won't be taken seriously. i must be trying to achieve some kind of articulable political goal, and/or the things featured in the game must be "my" experiences. otherwise, i'm just making another stupid cartoony videogame.[...]

unless you think that the last part there is a literal invocation of "games must be deep or they are bad", in which case you should work on your reading comprehension

Okay let me rephrase "have to try and make some sort of deep point to be taken seriously", because I guess people got caught up on the word considered in my original statement.

I wasn't saying that the statement claims that these aspects are required to make a good game, but that the concern is that these aspects are required for the game to be considered in a positive light, ie to be taken seriously.

But this concern is totally weird because virtually none of the most popular and successful and lauded indie games of the past however many years even fit into these criteria about personal experiences or political goals.
    camo_sig2.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i never got past eat the candies or throw them on the floor
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

Or GOTY 2010 Super Meat Boy
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    whenever somebody posts an excellent piece like that and there are reactions wherein vague, unoffensive dislike is expressed this is basically how I see it

WrHclgK.png

why
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    especially candybox, like are you kidding me

do you think anyone took candybox seriously

what are you saying?

what the fuck are you saying???????
    1AgQz.png
    Antimatter wrote: »

It's an easy choice, you just have to ask yourself if you're an adult.
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

do you think anyone is going to be talking about any of those games in about two months

what the fuck is anyone supposed to say to this, exactly? yes? no? how can you know either way

most of those aren't even out yet. will anyone be talking about papers please two months after it comes out, other than the occasional "hey papers please was neat"?

who the fuck knows
    Hullis wrote: »

Or GOTY 2010 Super Meat Boy

I believe that the personal experience this was trying to express

was Team Meat's experiences living with a crippling salt allergy
    camo_sig2.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Melding wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

It's an easy choice, you just have to ask yourself if you're an adult.

Any excuse to remind people of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ
    Death of Rats on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    candy box is a video game about leaving your computer running overnight
    personaqn.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    What is Minecraft trying to say
    wRbeRNg.jpg

"hahahahaha this is a terrible fucking game but it made me stupid rich"
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSBOOOOM
    15Tpj.jpeg

"hahahahaha this is a terrible fucking game but it made me stupid rich"

"look at how much money i made off this piece of shit that i cobbled together and then handed off to some other guy"
    For real though, I don't think Frog Fractions was trying to be anything other than a game that fucked with your preconceived notions of games, it didn't have a theme

and people went apeshit over it for like a month and a half and now nobody mentions it

just like Braid

Games are fleeting, period
    diamonds are forever
    2wrn580.png
    (i liked minecraft better when it was browser-based and you could make lots of clones of yourself and there were sponges)
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Is anyone gonna be talking about Minecraft two months from now
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    because video games are for children
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

It's an incredible statement on how playing with blocks and your imagination is worth tens of millions of dollars.

But to be honest, an incredible game, FEZ, is mainly talked about a year later because of controversy around Phil Fish.
    steam_sig.png
    "get a better processor on your computer"
    2wrn580.png

It's just a really well disguised protest against Java
    camo_sig2.png
    i still have never played minecraft.
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I like watching Minecraft more than playing it
    daft2.gif
    the best minecraft related stuff nowadays isnt even in the base game

mods make it hilarious
    15Tpj.jpeg