Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• MimMim Registered User regular
    I know my next av/sig theme already thanks to moniker.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    there was a distinctive southern bloc much, much earlier than the CRM

yes, somewhere around 1787 is when it popped up, I believe.

But the sundering of the democratic south is directly related to Johnson's push for civil rights.

Republican and Democratic ideologies from the time of Lincoln, when Republicans were the party of emancipation and Democrats the Southern party of Confederacy4lyfe, began to cross over roughly around the time of Teddy Roosevelt

The South was a solidly Democrat until the 60s, when the northern Dems finally committed to remaking themselves as the "inclusive" party, alienating the historically Southern Dems who were used to enjoying a lot more influence over the party's platform
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    This thing is cool. It would also be cool (if not a bit lazy) cosplay.

Ain't no such thang as "cool" cosplay
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    catching up on the Korra topic, you bastards raised and then dashed my hopes

I hope you're happy
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

I hope you're happy

Quite, actually.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

I hope you're happy

Quite, actually.
    Deebaser wrote: »

lies

nathan-fillion-link-zelda1.jpg

i luv u ntahtan b my boifrand
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Speaking of Legend of Korra, I need to get around to watching Season 1 of that.
    工事中
    xXRaP6G.png

do want.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    It's funny how they never mix and form one party with good ideas. It's almost as if a politician's credibility depends on a perpetual rivalry with the 'other guys'... hmmmm.

FrenchCat2.jpg

I hope you're happy

Yesterday Beast was talking about Quora (as in quora.com) on the phone

I didn't hear anything else I was just like WHAT ABOUT THE LEGEND OF KORRA

I should do a rewatch....
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    i got a bunch of weird nerve tests today it felt very strange. i got a bunch of tiny electric shocks that stimulated the nerves and made me jerk my legs ad things around.

the good news is i dont have a catastrophic nerve disease!
    Mim wrote: »
    xXRaP6G.png

do want.

Where the fuck is this and why isn't it being shipped to me right now
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    945862_10151431296166947_910206906_n.jpg

This is what you get when you drop glowsticks in the water at the top of a waterfall then take a photo with a really long exposure.

Poisoned fish?
    tea-1.jpg
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »

It's so good. I rewatched eps 3-6 last night. So good.

Like seriously high-quality stuff.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    i got a bunch of weird nerve tests today it felt very strange. i got a bunch of tiny electric shocks that stimulated the nerves and made me jerk my legs ad things around.

that shit is my specialty
    were you afraid you did?
    does it run in your family?
    are you okay????
    3FMmC.jpg
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Yes!

(It's far from perfect; it suffers a lot from being a fairly detailed story condensed into ... 10 episodes? 12? Something like that. But the animation is wonderful, the story is pretty smart, the invented sports game cool, and it has flashbacks to Aang's time)
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I hope you're happy

*suspicioussquityeyes*

...how so?
    sigtk.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

FMrYH_zps6db6825a.jpg
    cccc260213-10.jpg
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    the only modern president who worked congress was LBJ

Given the correlation that his legislative success had with congressional majorities, I think there's a good reason to be extremely skeptical of that claim.

If to "work congress" is to "enjoy massive majorities", then yes, he worked the hell out of congress.

herding dixiecrats into line at the height of the CRM was no mean feat

Herding dixiecrats into line to do what, exactly?

Dixiecrats weren't fake Republicans.

They sure as hell weren't party line democrats

Sure. The point is that the parties at the time weren't analogous to the parties of today but with mixed up names. The ideological divides were a bit different. Dixiecrat =/= Republican

I think we're aware of that. The real point is that a great Democratic Party majority in Congress did not guarantee LBJ the kind of party unity and easy bill-passin'-slip-n-slide that we assume majorities mean based on today's rigid practices. Just because Democrats controlled the House and headed every committee didn't mean LBJ didn't have to contend with a critical mass of hostile Senators and Reps, often from his own party

I don't think that's the point because it hasn't been suggested that there wasn't politicking to be done.

Congress during LBJ's presidency didn't pass perfect bills, it passed bills that had to be based on compromise. Given the majorities that were largely aligned behind the notions that drove those bills though, compromise came much more easily than if there wasn't that kind of majority.

"easy bill-passin'-slip-n-slide" and "LBJ didn't have to contend with a critical mass of hostile Senators and Reps" are notions that haven't been brought up here, but I'm glad you saw fit to shout them down before someone thought them into existence.
    2ezikn6.jpg

83rqxiW.gif
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    tumblr_mmeq3nEnP51qm1x8bo1_500.png

"I am Medicus of Borg. Resistance is futile."
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

This is what you get when you drop glowsticks in the water at the top of a waterfall then take a photo with a really long exposure.

Poisoned fish?

From some plastic having been in the water for a few minutes?

Hooray Eddy's body isn't going to deteriorate slowly inevitably trapping his shrieking mind in a paralyzed shell of a body!

Do you know what is actually causing your issue though
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    xXRaP6G.png

do want.

Where the fuck is this and why isn't it being shipped to me right now

http://society6.com/kendrawcandraw/cases
    tumblr_mmeq3nEnP51qm1x8bo1_500.png

"I am Medicus of Borg. Resistance is futile."

It does reek of Borg, doesn't it? Anything with the cybermen always takes that risk.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    the only modern president who worked congress was LBJ

Given the correlation that his legislative success had with congressional majorities, I think there's a good reason to be extremely skeptical of that claim.

If to "work congress" is to "enjoy massive majorities", then yes, he worked the hell out of congress.

herding dixiecrats into line at the height of the CRM was no mean feat

Herding dixiecrats into line to do what, exactly?

Dixiecrats weren't fake Republicans.

Dixiecrats split from the party specifically because of the civil rights movement, anyway. So...

...?

Dixiecrats are what turned the south from solidly Democratic to solidly Republican. They split off from the Democratic party over LBJ's passage of the civil rights act, among other things, and were then scooped up by Nixon and the southern strategy.

So while LBJ was able to push some things through, he wasn't exactly the wizard of washington either.

Yes...?
    2ezikn6.jpg

Poisoned fish?

From some plastic having been in the water for a few minutes?
    The phenol-like compounds would become quenched by the water if they ever got out of the plastic and would not be immediately toxic to the fish. The long-term photolysis products could be toxic but would probably be ppt at this rate of dumping into the water.
    3FMmC.jpg

Poisoned fish?

(you are misunderstanding what is going on)
    sigtk.jpg

Or if you take a picture of any river in China at night.
    2ezikn6.jpg

I hope you're happy

*suspicioussquityeyes*

...how so?

I want to watch more? Then someone said that Mazzy said that it's back in a month - my hopes, they rise. Then a source is cited and the show is back in the nebulous "coming soon" timeframe.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular

were you afraid you did?
    are you okay????

no, nothing like that in my family

ive been having ongoing fatigue and muscle weakness and no one can figure out why, the docs are running out of tests

the good news is that every doctor i've been to has ruled out something horrific
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Alright. After wearing this dress all day, I guess it's time to take the tag off. I'll keep it.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

were you afraid you did?
    are you okay????

ive been having ongoing fatigue and muscle weakness and no one can figure out why, the docs are running out of tests

the good news is that every doctor i've been to has ruled out something horrific
    oh no I'm sorry to hear that
    I hope they figure it out and you get a solution

3FMmC.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    I know my next av/sig theme already thanks to moniker.

don't ever change your current one it is too good

dare I say it is - 2 legit 2 quit

I hope you're happy

*suspicioussquityeyes*

...how so?

I want to watch more? Then someone said that Mazzy said that it's back in a month - my hopes, they rise. Then a source is cited and the show is back in the nebulous "coming soon" timeframe.

Ok whew

I thought for a second you were about to become the person who informed me that it'd been cancelled at which point I would have been forced to embark upon a quest for your head
    sigtk.jpg
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    i'm a monster
    there was a frozen snickers bar in our freezer, i didn't place it there, and i ate it. and tomorrow i will walk away and no one will know my crime

were you afraid you did?
    are you okay????

too much great sex?
This discussion has been closed.