Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Strip Search - Paint the Line

• ImperfectImperfect Registered User regular
    I especially liked Erika's monkey-stylings. Looked hilarious AND intimidating as hell.

Like a silly fighting game character who first you laugh at and then you stare at as they clean up your FACE with nothing but a ping-pong paddle.
  • kilroy214kilroy214 Registered User regular
    I'm sorry Lexxy. I love ya, but Monica's going to win.
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I especially liked Erika's monkey-stylings. Looked hilarious AND intimidating as hell.

Like a silly fighting game character who first you laugh at and then you stare at as they clean up your FACE with nothing but a ping-pong paddle.

I liked Erika's antics.
  • BoingBoing Registered User regular
    I've been trying to think of who Abby reminds me of, finally figured it out, Merritt Wever from Nurse Jackie!
  • HardmanHardman Registered User regular
    Not looking forward to any further actual eliminations but I am looking forward to seeing the strips that come from them. Best of luck to Monica and Lexxy!
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I think it's going to be another really funny episode.

I'm going to be sad no matter who goes home, but I'll be laughing a lot before someone makes me cry.
  • LoneGunmanLoneGunman Registered User regular
    lol...Robert's a bad player...I like that. A test of whether or not the artists actually know anything about the PA crew at all. Some good PA match ups...Kiko v Robert, Sadsad v Sadsad.

Note to self: when up against Robert in ping pong, do NOT set up slams...especially when he's on my team. :p

Here we go...two artists I liked for an overall win VS each other...go LEXXY!!!
  • fenryskfenrysk Registered User new member
    i think Robert's smashes and reactions when he overshot the smash were great. minor production nitpick, I noticed one of the scores were wrong in the brackets though, it listed Katie/Levin vs Monica/Erika as 2-0, shouldn't it have been a 2-1?
  • spillfishspillfish Registered User regular
    Okay, I haven't finished the episode, or read this thread, but can someone PLEASE make a GIF of Abby giving the fake smile and thumbs up after saying "confidence?" I want to use that all the goddamn time.

Here's one I prepared earlier! It's actually been making its rounds on Twitter, which gives me quite the ego boost.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    spillfish wrote: »
    Okay, I haven't finished the episode, or read this thread, but can someone PLEASE make a GIF of Abby giving the fake smile and thumbs up after saying "confidence?" I want to use that all the goddamn time.

Here's one I prepared earlier! It's actually been making its rounds on Twitter, which gives me quite the ego boost.

It looks like your gif has gone... viral! :P
    "a good leader can make an okay group great..."
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    GPrime85 wrote: »
    To those who continually express their dissatisfaction with the activities in the show, or how it's being edited, etc., please extend your hand toward your monitor, palm open and facing upward. Close your eyes for a moment and breathe in.

...Now close your hand and bring it back towards you.

There. Now you have a refund. Go forth, my friends, and show us what a real internet reality program should look like! The world is ready and waiting for your contribution to our culture. But beware! Show even a hint of imperfection, and the People will gather together to drag you off your throne. I, for one, will not look forward to that day. With the royal seat empty, who will save us from the monotony of every day life? What champion will rise to create that perfectly edited show with super polite contestants who never show any semblance of individuality or character, events which never deviate from the subject matter of the program? I dare not dwell on it.

As for myself, I am content with these humble offerings. I've been a reader of Penny Arcade since 1999. I love video games, reading and drawing comics, friendly competition, ping pong and time spent with like-minded people (even remotely, through a screen). I've never met any of the PA staff or Strip Search contestants in person, but I'd consider them my friends anytime. These episodes give me much pleasure, and my only complaint is that I have to wait for the next one to be posted. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. =)

(Well, maybe I'd wish for the episodes to be even longer. Here's hoping there's lots of extra footage on the DVD set.)

I disagree with this. A consumer doesn't need to "produce something better" to offer useful criticism, and opinions are useful data. I for one welcome all criticism and feedback on my own comics, and I don't throw out comments just because the person talking to me isn't a comic artist.

I agree with the sentiment that just whinging about something being given to you for free is moronic and unthankful - but I do think there's worth in offering useful constructive criticism. "This episode is boring" is not helpful, but "this episode is boring, because it's just 20 minutes of similar pingpong footage. The last episode was more interesting, because of the way the footage was cut with the artists talking about their feelings and experiences" is actually a useful comment.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    Strangest part of the episode - Maki coming across as grumpy dad saying "hey now watch the language". Anyone else think that even in jest, that wouldn't go over too well in the PA hivemind? It just really stood out to me after Monica's attempt to cuss creatively, and it made me wonder how he would survive a year surrounded by people with such a wellspring of dick jokes ready for no-notice deployment.
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite episodes so far. I wished I skipped the racing, so I did skip the convention sketching episode, but table tennis? Yes!
  • DrDreidelDrDreidel Registered User regular
    "Shitting dick-nipples" has crossed my lips twice today already. I'm nominating it for expletive of the year, if only to find out what a dick-nipple actually is.
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    I just came in here to say...

#TeamMonica
    sig.jpg
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad the correct two contestants went for elimination. I was nervous when Lexxy was in the final that she might win. At this stage "The only two people who haven't won an elimination" are pretty much who HAS to go, and I'm glad Katie saw that. I think this should have been the easiest pick all show.

Every round after this one is going to be absurdly difficult to pick for elimination though. I don't envy anybody the choice.
    Devonin on
  • RemielRemiel Registered User regular
    GOOD PICKS, KATIE. Exactly who I would have picked. I love Monica to death -- she's super adorable -- but now is put up or shut up time. And Lexxy needs to prove that she belongs in the competition, after what happened last time in the Thunderdome.

That said, still betting on Lexxy vs. Maki in the final. Wonder what the Vegas odds are on each remaining contestant?

Personally, I would put the books at

Maki 3 - 1
    Lexxy 7 - 2
    Tavis 4 - 1
    Katie 5 - 1
    Monica 9 - 1
    Abby 11 - 1
    DrDreidel wrote: »
    "Shitting dick-nipples" has crossed my lips twice today already. I'm nominating it for expletive of the year, if only to find out what a dick-nipple actually is.

Again, do not Google this.

Just trust me on this one.
  • bubbaholybubbaholy Registered User regular
    Okay I must be retarded because I watched the Strip Search teaser for like the 5th time and I did not see a spoiler that would answer if Lexxy or Monica are going to get eliminated in upcoming episode.

Either people are way better sleuths than me, or the teaser does not spoil Friday. I'm not quite sure how to talk about it more on this forum without being a dick and possibly spoiling it for everyone, but maybe it'd be reasonable to tell me what time to look at in the teaser? Or private message me? (That's a thing here, right?)

p.s. Go Abby you live to fight another day in the Comic Battle Royale!
    1NtG6iR.jpg
  • ArgyleMonkeyArgyleMonkey Registered User new member
    I love this show, look forward to each episode, but this was the dullest imo. Ping pong with no commentary was like Chinese water torture. :P I ended up skipping the matches to see the "talking heads" bits in-between and then the ending.

And like everyone else, I completely agree with the 2 picks for elimination. I have been predicting Lexxy to be a finalist for a while now, but I actually think Katie might be the other. She's so quiet that it's easy to forget her, but she's also extremely talented.
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    One of my favorite episodes so far. I wished I skipped the racing, so I did skip the convention sketching episode, but table tennis? Yes!

I think the convention sketching episode was my favourite of all of them so far, I actually creased up laughing at some of the stuff that happened in it. It's also one of the few non-elim episodes that actually has them drawing stuff (which you can see on the spoilers page). Definitely worth a watch in my book.
    Khoo's antics, in particular. I totally believe that this could have served as some kind of therapy for him :p

ahdok on
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • NuurgleNuurgle Registered User new member
    #TeamShittingDickNipples
  • dejavu,againdejavu,again Registered User regular
    In my experience, doubles is almost always suggested when some of the players are at a very different skill level as the rest, to afford everyone the opportunity to play. The end result always seems to be a good player paired with a bad player, and I've been both- neither one leaves a good taste in your mouth. As the good player, you'll have to watch easy kills sail to your partner, who will flail at them ineffectually. As the bad player, you constantly feel like you're letting the good player down. Which leads me to my conclusion: doubles is the worst.

And of course, if you make the mistake of ripping a ball past the first time player on your opponents team, your friend the 2400-level Korean might see fit to teach you a lesson in good sportsmanship and/or being completely crushed.

That said, this was still enjoyable enough to watch. The PA staff was pretty obviously holding back, especially on serves (although this is pretty common in doubles, in my experience, since a good serve is generally unreturnable for bad players), but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. No surprise as to the final matchup (PA #1 seed vs. PA #2 seed), nor the contestants picked for elimination (the only two who haven't won an elimination).

And that reaction, when Robert missed the smashes...I am intimately familiar with that feeling. It is the worst.
  • HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    Just gonna be blunt here, Lexxy, get out. Go Monica! In other news, Katie continues to be adorable.
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Nuurgle wrote: »
    #TeamShittingDickNipples

Monica's officially going with the vanilla name.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Okay I must be retarded because I watched the Strip Search teaser for like the 5th time and I did not see a spoiler that would answer if Lexxy or Monica are going to get eliminated in upcoming episode.

Either people are way better sleuths than me, or the teaser does not spoil Friday. I'm not quite sure how to talk about it more on this forum without being a dick and possibly spoiling it for everyone, but maybe it'd be reasonable to tell me what time to look at in the teaser? Or private message me? (That's a thing here, right?)

(No spoilers in this post)

OKAY good news! I am now nearly 100 percent sure I overreacted and the elimination is not spoiled.

After reading your post I broke down and I went and checked it out. At the 52 second mark there's a clip of Maki ascending an outdoor staircase behind another contestant. You can't see the face of said contestant but it's pretty clearly one of the two who are up for elimination next Tuesday. The idea with teaser video spoilers is: if we haven't seen the artists in that environment yet, it would seem to be part of a future episode.However, this is obvious b-roll footage that would have been cut in the editing process. I am crazy so I even went and checked through the other episodes and it seems that our mystery artist is wearing the same coat/pants in one of the other outdoor episodes... and Maki's pants match, too! Therefore I am 99.9 percent positive it is b-roll.

In my defense I have had several eliminations spoiled for me by others posting info from the teaser, and they are VERY obvious, i.e. scenes of artists participating in actual challenges that we hadn't seen yet... so I wasn't about to go watch any more of the teaser for fear of other spoilers!
    Lamp on
  • nataliesharknatalieshark Registered User regular
    Lexxy? More like Sexxy. haha... Seriously, nice game strategy. ;) jk of course.
  • wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    When I saw this match-up, I thought, "Aw, this is just going to be fun to watch! Good for them, getting to prove themselves."

Then I saw Mike and Jerry looking disappointed at their entries and I was deeply saddened.
    "Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Makes me wish I could ping the pong ;_;
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    It seemed like the contestants, for the most part, played better in doubles than they did in singles.

Maybe they were inspired to new heights by their skilled PA teammates.
  • wetworxwetworx Registered User regular
    wow the last weeks been all ping pong tv on ping pong arcade...
    PA should release a shirt "Robert's an Asshole" with a solitary ping pong underneath it.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    DrDreidel wrote: »
    In darker times I ran across this image on the internet. I suggest you not do the same.
    steam_sig.png
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    I could swear I've heard that phrase before

maybe the force of it is just radiating backwards in time
    NSxe4l9.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    I loved whenever kiko would yell "C'MON Levine!" and whoever was muttering "Robert's an asshole...!"
  • fraggyfraggy Registered User regular
    I was surprised that Maki went with the "Watch the potty-mouth" card. I didn't realize excess profanity (of which this series has exhibited plenty) might be an issue for him. I wonder if there were similar requests made that ended up on the cutting room floor. I thought it was an interesting glimpse behind the Beardwall!

Personally, I gave mad props to Monica for actually saying that phrase (being previously familiar with it) out loud. I thought it was weirdly awesome that she would use it.

As for Katie's choices, I would have sent Tavis instead of Lexxy. Why? For choosing the #2 and #3-ranked performers in the previous challenge (yes, it still rankles me).

I'll bet the other PA staffers enjoyed seeing Khoo humbled a bit (in a friendly, yet competetive way). You could tell Robert wasn't too happy about it, yet wasn't unpleasant in defeat. Props all around, ping pong-wise; I enjoyed the interactions!
  • DeekDeek Registered User regular
    Team Lexxy!
    My videography site.
    IxCreations.com
    --Loves his Job!--
    From the way Maki said it, I think he was going for something funny and faltered.

We've all been there.
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    fraggy wrote: »
    I was surprised that Maki went with the "Watch the potty-mouth" card. I didn't realize excess profanity (of which this series has exhibited plenty) might be an issue for him.

Looks like you (and a couple other people on here) are in serious need of an irony transplant.

• UNHchaboUNHchabo Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    It seemed like the contestants, for the most part, played better in doubles than they did in singles.

Maybe they were inspired to new heights by their skilled PA teammates.

In my brief time playing, I think that most people will play better when they move more. With singles you can stand still and swat at the ball, leading to some less-than-ideal arm motions; with doubles you don't have that luxury, and need to move out of the way, then move back for your shot.