Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Strip Search - Paint the Line

• Cap'n ShovelsCap'n Shovels Registered User regular
    Ahhh! Abby, you did so well!
    Please do not violate our signature rules.
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Several people have commented that Lexxy is the only one not wearing the Wang Fu shirt. Maki is also wearing a different shirt. It's pretty easy to see the reasons that everyone is fixated on Lexxy's departure from the attire norm though.

I know the admin said not to talk about attire, but this seems pretty tame to me, I hope I'm OK in saying this: Maki is wearing a different shirt over the ping pong shirt, the former of which he took off to play. Lexxy is wearing a different shirt under the ping pong shirt, the latter of which she took off to play. So depending which footage you're looking at, your statement may not be the case. I suspect that the people commenting on Lexxy were looking at shots like 21:08 which show all the artists together just after playing. Or the games themselves. I suspect you're looking at the interviews? Anyway, I think that's why the comments.
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Shitting dick-nipples should be a shirt, that is a funny phrase
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    miaAusa wrote: »

Dear God no. You don't want that. Trust me.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    jebrex wrote: »
    But do please tell me the PA staff were shanking it on purpose... I kept wanting to coach everyone, including the PA staff, despite their reputation, even including Khoo.
    (Assessment - he and Lexxy lost because he overplayed. (Caveat - Tennis, on a court not a table, is my game, since the tender age of 4, but I've experienced Ping-Pong as a subset in my time.) Tip - If you are the technically superior player (and Khoo clearly was, in that milieu), just be consistent,and let the opponent make the unforced errors. otherwise you are on the wrong side of kinetic energy. Doubles is tough, though, for a singles player. maybe it was unavoidable. and it was clearly stated that it's not his game.)

I'm no table tennis pro but as Khoo stated, "We're not going to win the rally game." He was trying to go for gold every time he got a chance to smack the ball, because his partner is so unreliable. If Khoo doesn't win the point NOW, Lexxy is going to lose it the next chance she gets.

• RaphDSRaphDS Registered User regular
    I only remember the little table tennis I played in high school, so somebody tell me if I'm wrong: I thought you aren't allowed to touch (i.e.: put your hand on) the table as you hit the ball?

I suppose they went lenient on the rules since the artists were new at it, but watching the episode again and seeing it bothered me. Bothered like the way somebody who moved the mouse from the right side of the keyboard to the left before I sit. I know it's not a big deal, but it's hard to shake.

• IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    @RAPHDS you are right you are not allowed to touch the table with your hand.
  • FearghaillFearghaill TEAM NICKRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    lavonia wrote: »
    Also thanks to Monica for teaching me the phrase, "Shitty Dicknipples". It's awful and wonderful at the same time.

She actually managed to get a Penny Arcade staffer to tell her to tone down the language. That's like Hugh Hefner telling you to maybe cut back on the sex a bit.

Lexxy... obviously I have a bit of a rooting interest here, and I've seen Monica's Hourly Comic Day efforts so I know for a fact she has it in her, but win or lose, you're already set to go for the next year and Cloud Factory is going to kick butt. (And you know whether you've won or lost but that's on embargo until Tuesday morning.)

EDIT: If anyone happens to be in Toronto this weekend, Monica's going to have a booth at TCAF and is selling Team Monica buttons. And also buttons of her saying 'shit'.

I got the last one, sorry other nerds

w3jPrhe.jpg
    hawkeyesig.jpg
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    katie_dance_sm.gif

YES!

The finger point dance must return!

• kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    I read more of Monica's work today.

She has a lot of funny stuff.
  • dejavu,againdejavu,again Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    To confirm to those who are unsure, it is a rule of doubles that you swap which person hits the ball each stroke.

And for those who seem to be arguing otherwise, it is pretty difficult to get out of your partner's way. You get very little time to do it, and you don't know which way your opponent will hit the ball. I strongly doubt ego had anything to do with that.

I would go so far as to say learning how to switch positions with the other player is pretty much the entire challenge of doubles over singles. Being a good player makes it even worse since you have a strong instinct to go after the ball.
  • MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of the elimination. Different art styles, different strengths and different personalities.
  • MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    miaAusa wrote: »

Dear God no. You don't want that. Trust me.

So I looked it up, having never encountered the memephrase.

I'm not sure what's worse, the original image or the fact that that I didn't even so much as blink or flinch or scream in terror as any normal person should have?

The internet has ruined me.

• chasabchasab Registered User regular
    Lexxxy to cool to wear the t-shirt
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    I'm no table tennis pro but as Khoo stated, "We're not going to win the rally game." He was trying to go for gold every time he got a chance to smack the ball, because his partner is so unreliable. If Khoo doesn't win the point NOW, Lexxy is going to lose it the next chance she gets.

And in doing that, he probably lost more points for his team than she did. :rotate:
  • randomhumanrandomhuman Registered User new member
    reading previous posts it would almost appear that no one is rooting for Monica. I have no clue why. Keep going Monica, I know you can do it!
    this is a sentence, it is composed of words.
  • ZhayneZhayne Registered User regular
    Oh no I really like Monica, she's the coolest so far.
  • dbojandbojan Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Lamp wrote: »

FOO wrote: »
    And in doing that, he probably lost more points for his team than she did. :rotate:
    My guess is, mr Khoo being competitive, would play the same way, no matter who his partner was.
    dbojan on
    Regarding the poll Erika put up asking which artist's "spirit animal" people preferred in the last challenge... I voted Amy.

You see, Amy's spirit animal is a ferret. Ferrets do not lose at ping-pong. Because ferrets bite. It is difficult to win a ping-pong match when a ferret is chewing your face off.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • BuchoBucho Women sense my power Registered User regular
    Regarding the poll Erika put up asking which artist's "spirit animal" people preferred in the last challenge... I voted Amy.

You see, Amy's spirit animal is a ferret. Ferrets do not lose at ping-pong. Because ferrets bite. It is difficult to win a ping-pong match when a ferret is chewing your face off.

That's just good science.

"yo are y'all havin a good ol-fashioned MERMAID FIGHT in here" - World as Myth
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    I have reached a state of peaceful acceptance with elimination challenges because we are at a point where I want every one of the remaining people to win.
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    reading previous posts it would almost appear that no one is rooting for Monica. I have no clue why. Keep going Monica, I know you can do it!

I'm sure there are plenty of Monica fans, but I'd also bet there are a ton of people for whom she's second favorite. She just lacks that one thing which sets her apart in some way. Katie and Lexxy have the art; Maki has beard + pineapple; Abby has being Abby. So there are probably lots of people who would say, "Monica's awesome, but I like (other person X) a little more because (Y)."

I know I left Tavis out, but I don't see a lot of people vociferously backing him either.
    Spiffy McBang on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular

What thread are you reading!? :P

sig.jpg
  • KnytestormeKnytestorme Registered User regular
    I liked the episode tbh but one thing that stood out to me was in the final game, Khoo seemed to just give up at one stage once they were a fair way behind...like there was no power at all in his returns when just a few seconds earlier he was blasting at everything still.

I think Katie certainly made the right choice, and I'll be rooting for Monica but I'm worried for her. I know if I were in her spot I would not be able to get out of my head how much better I'd have to be than Lexxy to get past a perceived favouritism towards her.

I would hope that Jerry and Mike aren't that way at all but given the amount of things they have said regarding Lexxy over time and then her return there is some implied loving of her work so you'd have to expect that if Monica and Lexxy produce work of equal quality they would be more inclined to keep Lexxy around because they know the quality of her work (I'm assuming it's quality, I really didn't like the work that got her booted the first time) and it's easier to keep her than take a risk that Monica produced something at the top end of her ability and won't be able to do it consistently. That said, I'm looking forward to the next ep and being proven wrong.
    edited May 2013
    But then Lexxy would have been kept the first time, because that's pretty much exactly what happened against Tavis.
    Gosling on
    But then Lexxy would have been kept the first time, because that's pretty much exactly what happened against Tavis.

And that's a fair point, one I hadn't considered in that context so will concede there but I still know that if i were in Moncia's position that my mindset would be affected having to go up against Lexxy at this point given what has happened till now and I worry that it would affect her...then again, she's likely more mentally tough than I am so who knows :)
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    Why isn't it Tuesday yet?!?

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I definitely am rooting for Monica, I'm not sure why anyone could get the impression that she has no supporters, since I'm not the only one to say so. I think she's final four material, and if time doesn't wipe her out she's more likely to be funny than Lexxy is. Lexxy's previous losing comic was amusing in a newspaper comic sort of way, but rather tame, and she was only brought back for the art. I've said it before, Tavis beat Lexxy fair and square, and Monica is better than Tavis. If the topics aren't too strange (like the Nick/Mac elimination), I think Monica has a clear advantage. That said, I have no idea what she can produce in 90 minutes with the Creators distracting her.

As far as I'm concerned, though she has yet to do so in the show, Monica has already proven herself. Go read her webcomic, it's funny and the art is quite good in recent years. Lexxy... doesn't have a comic. We've really seen nothing at all from her that would indicate she's capable of making a good webcomic. Some kind of graphic novel, maybe. Contract art for a commercial enterprise, sure. A webcomic? No.

We saw what happened to Mac, clearly a very skilled artist. You need more than just pretty pictures to win. If Lexxy manages to win with a webcomic, it will be a surprise, objectively. It can't not be, because she's never shown she can do it before so it will be a novel experience for the viewer. If Monica wins, it will not be a surprise, because she has made lots of webcomics before with both good writing and good art.

The only way Lexxy can win this elimination is by either pulling out talent she's never shown before, or by default if Monica loses it. The good news is, after this challenge, the only people left will be people who have earned their spot. If Monica wins, great. If Lexxy wins, her critics will finally have a reason to stop being so critical. Let's face it, Lexxy's supporters are only fans because of unrelated work, or her personality, or her high profile in the Penny Arcade world. There's nothing wrong with any of those things, but it's important to note that unrelated work, personality, or a high profile don't make you a good webcomic creator. That's what it's all about, not art.

Katie made the right picks. It's time for one of these two women to prove they deserve to be there, just like Katie said. If Lexxy makes a strip on Tuesday that makes me and the Creators laugh more than Monica's, I'll be happy to say she belongs in the house. Until then, I see no reason whatsoever to think she deserves any respect as a webcomic creator. I respect her fine as an artist, but this isn't Art Search, despite repeated insistence otherwise by some of you.
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    edited May 2013
    Why isn't it Tuesday yet?!?

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I definitely am rooting for Monica, I'm not sure why anyone could get the impression that she has no supporters, since I'm not the only one to say so. I think she's final four material, and if time doesn't wipe her out she's more likely to be funny than Lexxy is. Lexxy's previous losing comic was amusing in a newspaper comic sort of way, but rather tame, and she was only brought back for the art. I've said it before, Tavis beat Lexxy fair and square, and Monica is better than Tavis. If the topics aren't too strange (like the Nick/Mac elimination), I think Monica has a clear advantage. That said, I have no idea what she can produce in 90 minutes with the Creators distracting her.

This is what she can produce when asked to document her day an hour at a time. She can clearly make a comic in 90 minutes, and a damn good one too. Monica's big worry is, as you said, really what comes out of the wastebasket and how well she can work with the topics. She was worrying about a Redraw Ticket, but Lexxy doesn't have one.
    Gosling on
    I liked the episode tbh but one thing that stood out to me was in the final game, Khoo seemed to just give up at one stage once they were a fair way behind...like there was no power at all in his returns when just a few seconds earlier he was blasting at everything still.

It turns out that you can call me a shithead or an idiot or a pretty much anything else on the internet and I can ignore you... But calling me a quitter? No sir, you've gotten me to respond. :) what you're seeing is me searching for a clean-winner. I know that if I hit the ball hard against a PA player and they were able to return it, it would come back at lexxy at the same speed I hit it... So unless I knew I could win the point with an angle or a smash, I had to just keep it low, slow, and in play. Trust me when I say I try to win every thing at all times under any circumstance.

Can't do anything but take you at your word (and I do believe it from what I've seen) so must have been just the way it was edited. It didn't really make sense in the context, hence my asking if it was just me, so good to see and totally understand your reasoning about protecting Lexxy from having to deal with the return fire it was just the switch from the intensity to the look on your face and change in attacking that caught me off guard and considered that with so few points left for Katie to win you just held back a little.
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    If I were Graham, I'd despair at the number of things that are being put down to "the way the show was edited" on these forums...
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Khoo's strategy seemed pretty apparent from the footage to me.

In the earlier games he waited for one of the Strip Search contestants to give a nice easy lob and then would slam for the win, and did so every time because his opponent was unable to return the slams.

In the last game he was trying to do this at first, but, his opponents could now return the slams pretty consistently. The thing is that Lexxy was 100% unable to return a returned slam. So, Khoo had to change up his game because anything other than a 100% sure slam meant a loss for his team.

I'm not very good at table tennis myself, but, I used to play table tennis all the time with the kids at my old child care job, so I guess I am just used to having to adjust how I play to a very wide variety of skill levels, but it seemed pretty obvious what Khoo was doing to me.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    ahdok wrote: »
    If I were Graham, I'd despair at the number of things that are being put down to "the way the show was edited" on these forums...

Clearly they just need to give us the raw footage.

• SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with any of those things, but it's important to note that unrelated work, personality, or a high profile don't make you a good webcomic creator.

To be even more specific - they're looking for a comedic strip. Lexxy, Mac, and probably a few others have more interest in narratives and story telling with comics. There's plenty of examples of that stuff on the internet, hell - there's plenty of examples of that sort of work from the Mike and Jerry.

The format isn't friendly to anyone who wants to do longer form work. To say they contestants can't make a good webcomic because they can't make a good short three panel strip is absurd.
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I don't know that it's a dealbreaker if the comic isn't funny as long as it has something else to offer. Lexxy almost won in her previous Thunderdome appearance based on the quality of her artwork. If she can do that again, and Monica's strip isn't funny, then she's got this one.

The next-episode preview gave me the impression that they're going to draw some unfortunate topics. A bad draw could really tip the scales- if neither of them can make a funny comic because the topics are shit, then it's going to come down to the execution, and I think Lexxy has the edge there.
    edited May 2013
    I believe the phrasing was, if you're funny, 90% of the time that's what they're looking for. Art quality will keep you in the ballgame every time, but it's more of a tiebreaker than anything else- and a second tiebreaker at that after 'better use of the topics'. Priority #1 is to get a laugh.

Maybe like, four parts 'be funny', two parts 'use the topics' and one part 'make it look nice'.
    Gosling on
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    I hope just once we get to see an elimination where Mike and Jerry vehemently disagree over who should stay and who should go. I wonder how they'd reach a resolution?
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Rock, Paper, Scissors
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    slap fight
    walrus.png