Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    trying to find a cool ref for an idea

found this

riot-police.jpg
    xlh6c3.png
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Do any ftp games have a lump sum amount for unlocking all content?

Smite does, I think Tribes (same company) went the same route too,
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Yep Smite is fun to play. Third person MOBA.

Also, more importantly.... mmmmm, eating an apple right now.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    @evilbob seeing Dave Whelan celebrating was amazing

he's got Wigan in his blood

delighted for him
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    So far, Neverwinter seems kind of boring.

On the bright side with Neverwinter, it looks like you can actually get to the endgame without spending money unlike in LOTRO. In LOTRO, you pretty much have to spend money for quests or do some insane grinding that I don't think anybody has ever done.

This attitude always upsets me with the f2p game players.

You can get 20ish hours out of this AAA title (lotro) completely for free. After that, you can do the same thing with almost all of the other player classes and all the races.

If after 20-100 hours of gameplay you aren't enjoying it enough to give them a monthly fee to unlock everything, or 50ish bucks to unlock a bunch of ones... Then why are you wasting your time on something you don't like?
    meat.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I got to play Smite during Alpha at Hi-Rez Studios

like my one for real geek cred ever
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I expect a game that calls itself FTP to be FTP and not FTP until level 30ish.

hahahahahaha
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Did I just make a successful CHA roll with a shopkeeper?

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

i might make fun of it too

but for probably the opposite reason as you
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    And I view that attitude to be unbelievably entitled, but eh.
    meat.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    Free to Play is not the same as Free to Complete
    sigvf.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    I see F2P games as a new evolution of demos.
    sigvf.jpg
    got my fighter up to around L14 and my wizard up to around 11.

wizard's more fun
    syndalis wrote: »
    And I view that attitude to be unbelievably entitled, but eh.

software engineering is free, syndalis

these people have no right to charge money for nature's bounty
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

I've never been in a banana republic. Even with my weight lost I doubt they have my size. I can wear XL shirts now but they have to have length to them or I get a belly shirt that is too short to even stay tucked in. That's usually called XLT. I've never seen a mall clothing store that isn't a MTM/Suit Store that has extra length shirts.

Well, I guess the more urban clothing stores do, passively, because all their shirts go down to your knees and/or ankles
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Isn't LOTRO's max level specifically raised by the various expansion packs that have that level range of content? What is the point of being level X if you don't want to buy the part of the game with stuff for level X people to do? What kind of absurd complaint is that?
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    f2p is a shitty model unless you're league of legends and actually know how to do it

it's a terrible model in like almost every other game, NW has a fucking terrible system near as I can tell
    Irond Will wrote: »

I've never been in a banana republic. Even with my weight lost I doubt they have my size. I can wear XL shirts now but they have to have length to them or I get a belly shirt that is too short to even stay tucked in. That's usually called XLT. I've never seen a mall clothing store that isn't a MTM/Suit Store that has extra length shirts.

Well, I guess the more urban clothing stores do, passively, because all their shirts go down to your knees and/or ankles

i have really long arms and have had a hard time finding shirts that fit me right

really, the only answer, if you have unusual sizes, is to go for upmarket retailers

brooks brothers carries "tall" sizes, and that's great for suiting

i'd look at land's end, lud. they are (fairly) reasonably priced, durable, have some stylish offerings, and cater to a lot of sizes
    LOTRO's F2P model is fucking fantastic. Turbine wrote the fucking book on F2P. You're talking about a company who managed to right their ship with a model most gen 1 mmo devs fail at.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Isn't LOTRO's max level specifically raised by the various expansion packs that have that level range of content? What is the point of being level X if you don't want to buy the part of the game with stuff for level X people to do? What kind of absurd complaint is that?

The parts where you need to pay money for quests or grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks come well before the expansion packs.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I like F2P because it lets me play a game and get bored, like I always do, without spending money.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

I CAN'T FILL MY BAR HIGH ENOUGH

THIS IS BULLSHIT
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    f2p is a shitty model unless you're league of legends and actually know how to do it

it's a terrible model in like almost every other game, NW has a fucking terrible system near as I can tell

It's fine, it lets me play a game for a few weeks with friends then go back to being a curmudgeonly old person playing FFVI and complaining that the load times are annoying on the PSN version why couldn't they keep it fast like the SNES gol dangit.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod

The parts where you need to pay money for quests or grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks come well before the expansion packs.

And again. If you're at a point where you're out of free content, why be a higher level if you're unwilling to pay for new stuff to do? What on earth is the point?

Reconsidering support of laws that don't let me force children into the coal mines right now.

Ugh.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    why would you introduce a method to access the content in your game that is profoundly unejoyable? Why not just nut up and put it behind a paywall
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Gonna get s can home now. Nobody make assumptions about what's happening till I can post again yeah?
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Time for Doctor Who!! @Casual

DoctorWhoNightmareInSilver.jpg

Neil Gaiman's episode is sure to be a winner. :D

@Ravenhpltc24

i am now consumed with guilt that i wasn't here when you @'d me

i was in a game of monaco because i got it into my head that who was at 6:15 and i'd already missed it

seppuku?

y/n
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    One of these days, I'm going to finish Ocarina of Time
    jBEKRTH.png
    NmD4Wtu.jpg

And again. If you're at a point where you're out of free content, why be a higher level if you're unwilling to pay for new stuff to do? What on earth is the point?
    That is my complaint. I ran of content and the only way to get new content was to spend the funbucks or else grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks. That content was well before the expansions because LOTRO locks out quest lines unless you pay for them well before the expansions. I wanted a game that was actually FTP instead of a glorified demo.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    blocks of code are naturally occurring resources
    Organichu wrote: »
    blocks of code are naturally occurring resources

Just like bitcoins, they can be mined.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

That is my complaint. I ran of content and the only way to get new content was to spend the funbucks or else grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks. That content was well before the expansions because LOTRO locks out quest lines unless you pay for them well before the expansions. I wanted a game that was actually FTP instead of a glorified demo.

His point is, if you like the game enough to go that far, why not put some money down to support the people who made the game?
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    NmD4Wtu.jpg

why isn't there a website that sells this stuff?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Schmups are the most stressful games.
    Turbine, why would you charge so much? Don't you realize that this game would look great on your portfolio?

if you're not willing to buy content, then you're done with the game! the fact that your bar isn't at max length is utterly irrelevant!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    haha

aiplane! is still gold

it's lost nothing

truly the golden age of American comedy

"*BLLLLLAAAARG* Ohhhh, I haven't been this ill since I watched that Ronald Reagan movie"

The genius is that the bulk of the script is played straight, with the characters reacting to both silly and serious with the same stoic reactions.
This discussion has been closed.