Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    I just plain don't like microtransactions

Give me the cost of the entire game upfront and I'm more likely to pay for it. Hide the cost of the game with really transparent cash-grabs and I'm not. F2P games are also astronomically more expensive than their paid counterparts if you factor in the costs of using the shop, even reasonably.

LOTRO: Free. 14.99 a month to unlock everything (except expansion packs), plus you get 5 bucks worth of money's to spend on the store every month.

It's a really generous subscription model.

LOTRO is a good example of the model being done mostly correct, but for every LOTRO there are thousands of games that very poorly implement it.
    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    trying to find a cool ref for an idea

found this

I too was a little disturbed by that at first, but if you think about it the reason is obvious, riot police have to deal with stuff like bricks and bottles being thrown at them, stuff a bit of padded armor would really help with. Soldiers are being shot at with bullets and RPG's, we haven't invented armor that is strong enough to protect against those kinds of weapons while being light and flexible enough to be worn by a person. So really the best defence for a solder remains being quick enough to find cover.

I was never, because I've always been maybe a bit too much into stuff like that

but yeah, riot police armor are for stopping punches. They're not going to stop any bullet at all.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Over the past two weeks I have sampled 7 different kinds of hummus.

I am something of an expert now.

Come to me with all of your hummus-based questions.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Bite him Raven.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The style of humour from Airplane and similar movies is completely lost on me

I don't think I laughed once the last time I saw Airplane
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

10 WHY
    20 GOTO 10
    Tav on
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    having never played an mmo the idea of monthly fees makes my skin crawl

I read "humans" at first and thought, yeah, we've heard.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Did I just make a successful CHA roll with a shopkeeper?

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

i might make fun of it too

but for probably the opposite reason as you

@irond will

Without even asking you where you shop, I would confidently wager $100 that you spend more money and time on clothing than I do and you're a better dresser than me.

i'm really not shitting on BR's style - i think they have some nicely-styled stuff. my problem is that their build quality is super-uneven and their prices are way too high for that quality of gear.

i think it comes from the fact that BR, the gap and old navy are three kind of indistinct tiers of the same company, and they end up sourcing their stuff from the same places. so you often end up getting old navy build quality at br prices

by the same token, you can find some amazing deals at old navy
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    f2p is a shitty model unless you're league of legends and actually know how to do it

it's a terrible model in like almost every other game, NW has a fucking terrible system near as I can tell

It's fine, it lets me play a game for a few weeks with friends then go back to being a curmudgeonly old person playing FFVI and complaining that the load times are annoying on the PSN version why couldn't they keep it fast like the SNES gol dangit.

Shivahn speaking of

I probably fell behind you and Cinders but I'll have a couple hours to play tonight

anyone else level 10ish?

@Aresprophet actually, I haven't played at all since then. Even that night >.>
    Bite him Raven.

I can't he's in the wrong country.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Isn't LOTRO's max level specifically raised by the various expansion packs that have that level range of content? What is the point of being level X if you don't want to buy the part of the game with stuff for level X people to do? What kind of absurd complaint is that?

The parts where you need to pay money for quests or grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks come well before the expansion packs.

And again. If you're at a point where you're out of free content, why be a higher level if you're unwilling to pay for new stuff to do? What on earth is the point?
    That is my complaint. I ran of content and the only way to get new content was to spend the funbucks or else grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks. That content was well before the expansions because LOTRO locks out quest lines unless you pay for them well before the expansions. I wanted a game that was actually FTP instead of a glorified demo.

this strikes me as profoundly unfair to the developers- they've provided you with the same breadth of game as all the other people, except they have even more game for people who support their work. conventionally, complaints are levied against f2p games that allow predation of free players, or some inferior flavor of gameplay due to their refusal to spend funbuxxx. i don't even necessarily buy that 'complaint', but i will concede that it makes sense and i can at least empathize with being frustrated by that model. but if you're given a fun game and told 'to have more fun, to get more of our game, that's the pay part' that seems incredibly reasonable to me.

This is very much how I feel about free to play games: at some point you should feel pressured to pay for them, you know, because this is a product and the devs aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

The only problem is when you come to the point where you're like "Okay, I've paid the equivalent of $50 for the game and a $15/month subscription fee, and I still need to buy more funbucks to have fun." If I'm paying more value than I would normally for a game I want to feel like I'm getting more value than I would normally for a game. If I'm having less fun than I normally would with a game and I'm not paying a dime...well, maybe I should start paying?
    vspgsp.jpg
    edited May 2013
    i don't think i understand the pay wall to neverwinter well enough to put money into it yet. not high level enough i guess

also i kind of want to hold off on any of it until i get my new computer
    Irond Will on
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Did I just make a successful CHA roll with a shopkeeper?

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

i might make fun of it too

but for probably the opposite reason as you

@irond will

Without even asking you where you shop, I would confidently wager $100 that you spend more money and time on clothing than I do and you're a better dresser than me.

i'm really not shitting on BR's style - i think they have some nicely-styled stuff. my problem is that their build quality is super-uneven and their prices are way too high for that quality of gear.

i think it comes from the fact that BR, the gap and old navy are three kind of indistinct tiers of the same company, and they end up sourcing their stuff from the same places. so you often end up getting old navy build quality at br prices

by the same token, you can find some amazing deals at old navy

I did not know this.
    kind of like how Pizza Hut / Taco Bell / KFC are the same company... eventually everything will be Halliburton.
    meat.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

They suck. F2P or Buy To Play models are way better for persistent games. When I'm subscribing to something I feel the need to get my money's worth and if I don't feel like playing I get annoyed and have to decide between staying subscribed to see if I start playing normally again or just unsubscribing and not playing period. Then I don't have access to the game I paid $60 for.
    I've never bought anything at BR that wasn't well-constructed

But I also have never seen anything there that wasn't overpriced
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I read "humans" at first and thought, yeah, we've heard.

tumblr_inline_mlnwo6XLRd1qz4rgp.jpg
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

How do you like Mel Brooks movies?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I did it! It's all finally over! Now to drink and make my liver hate me.

224205_10151400411743247_123492005_n.jpg

Aww is dat yo mamma

She be proud

Why're our parents so tiny.

graduation.jpg
    network_sig2.png
    EVE Online is a good example, for me, for why subscriptions suck. There is so much downtime in that game that as soon as I feel I am not playing enough, which happens very easily, I decide to stop playing to save myself the $15. Earlier in the game's history you could actually set a skill and it would keep training even if you were unsubscribed but now you can't even do that.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Walled garden freemium is a bad idea because it segments the community

Either charge for your game up front and include all the levels/dungeons/shit (excluding expansions) or don't and make your money selling skins and mounts and wearable purple dildos

And you can say a game's pricing model is stupid or you don't like it without being entitled
    override367 on
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

They suck. F2P or Buy To Play models are way better for persistent games. When I'm subscribing to something I feel the need to get my money's worth and if I don't feel like playing I get annoyed and have to decide between staying subscribed to see if I start playing normally again or just unsubscribing and not playing period. Then I don't have access to the game I paid $60 for.

I am an edge case, because in LOTRO I have a lifetime subscription because I paid 200 or 300 bucks when the game launched.

By far the best investment I have ever made from a gameplay perspective. I think I have two months worth of hours logged onto one character.

I also get 500 fun bucks a month, so whenever I take a break I come back to thousands of fun bucks to spend in the store.

It's pretty great.
    meat.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    That Akrigg chap has been making videos again

https://player.vimeo.com/video/65855392
    japan on
    tinypic's captcha just now was "skynet watches"

also, camwhore time?

since I have my camera operational again I say that it is camwhore time. Come on y'all, whore yerselves out.
    xlh6c3.png
    EVE Online is a good example, for me, for why subscriptions suck. There is so much downtime in that game that as soon as I feel I am not playing enough, which happens very easily, I decide to stop playing to save myself the $15. Earlier in the game's history you could actually set a skill and it would keep training even if you were unsubscribed but now you can't even do that.

EVE Online would really benefit from going F2P.

Also from being fun.

By far, it is the game I am angriest about not being fun.
    vspgsp.jpg
    Winky wrote: »

EVE Online would really benefit from going F2P.

Also from being fun.

By far, it is the game I am angriest about not being fun.

I would play the game a lot more if it was F2P. Like, actually free to play and not free to play by buying PLEX for 300 million dollars.
    emnmnme wrote: »

I absolutely loathe them and don't understand why anyone likes them, even after talking about it and making the effort

Usually I can understand contrary opinions but nope
  • TavTav Registered User regular

I absolutely loathe them and don't understand why anyone likes them, even after talking about it and making the effort

oh my god
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I did it! It's all finally over! Now to drink and make my liver hate me.

224205_10151400411743247_123492005_n.jpg

Aww is dat yo mamma

She be proud

Why're our parents so tiny.

graduation.jpg

your dad looks so proud

legit heartwarming
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    kosh i am watching tinker tailor

@Organichu hell yes

pay super close attention, though. turn on the subtitles if you miss something. the movie plays mostly fair but you are told things ONCE and ONCE ONLY

I am actually glad I watched it on DVD where I had the luxury of taking my time to really get what was going on
    Jacobkosh on

I bet you hate pun trees too.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Also the concept of walling off content is the reason none of my friends play battlefield anymore

they should have found a way to make the new maps accessible to everyone while including something to buy for people that play the game seriously
    lizen very carefully I shall say thiz only once.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    He's a tiny dwarf man.
    I didn't try to pay attention to every detail in Tinker Tailor. It was an odd, unique experience. I almost felt enveloped by the movie, and let its complexity wash over me. It was kind of relaxing.
    I laugh at everything. Like, people use me to look funnier because I will laugh at all their jokes and my stupid laugh makes other people laugh.

But I don't think I've ever even smiled while watching a Mel Brooks film, or been able to finish one.
    edited May 2013
    Walled garden freemium is a bad idea because it segments the community

Either charge for your game up front and include all the levels/dungeons/shit (excluding expansions) or don't and make your money selling skins and mounts and wearable purple dildos

And you can say a game's pricing model is stupid or you don't like it without being entitled

nerds have a really shitty attitude towards ftp games. i think it comes from the culture of piracy that people have gotten used to - they just expect that all media will be free for them pretty much always.
    Irond Will on
    I love pun trees
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    He's a tiny dwarf man.

hamurabi is able to moonlight as a streetlamp, though.
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.