Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The style of humour from Airplane and similar movies is completely lost on me

I don't think I laughed once the last time I saw Airplane

How do you like Mel Brooks movies?

I absolutely loathe them and don't understand why anyone likes them, even after talking about it and making the effort

Usually I can understand contrary opinions but nope

There is so much joy missing from your life.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde

11843-1.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Tav do you make funny for the people?

Do you have recordings of this?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    tav your audience looks pretty engaged

full disclosure: everyone in that picture is a friend of mine

other people were laughing though, I swear!

(I am super glad my friends found it funny enough to tell their friends it was good instead of fake "HAHAHAHA OH MAN THAT WAS OH LOOK AT THE TIME")
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    How could you make EVE F2P though? The whole game is player driven. There are almost no PVE things to do in EVE

what has that got to do with f2p?
    xlh6c3.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    kosh get on gchat i want to talk about spy movies
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    How could you make EVE F2P though? The whole game is player driven. There are almost no PVE things to do in EVE

There is a ton of PvE in EVE. It's just really dull.

It's all grindy shit to make money though. There is no reason for PvE in EVE unless you want to make money.
    abd i like how you're put together, especially that slender, gossamer neck. *salivates*
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    meat.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The style of humour from Airplane and similar movies is completely lost on me

I don't think I laughed once the last time I saw Airplane

How do you like Mel Brooks movies?

I absolutely loathe them and don't understand why anyone likes them, even after talking about it and making the effort

Usually I can understand contrary opinions but nope

There is so much joy missing from your life.

I've traded it for sneers and inflated self worth, don't worry
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I grew up during those wild west piracy years. I grew up POOR during those years. Are my hands clean of piracy? Nope. Did I ever pirate a game that I could legally buy? One. That I already had preordered but that leaked a week early. Couldn't wait (Doom III).

I still bought it even though it took place in an alternate universe with no duct tape.

So I have little sympathy for entitled gamers of my generation.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    I love pun trees

Well that's something at least.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde

11843-1.png
    Organichu wrote: »
    abd i like how you're put together, especially that slender, gossamer neck. *salivates*

choking is hundred bucks extra
    xlh6c3.png
    Winky wrote: »
    Tav do you make funny for the people?

Do you have recordings of this?

as a new hobby I'm giving a go

done it like, 7 times now over the last two months?

I have a recording but it is of my first time and pretty cringy so I'm just keeping it as something to look back on fondly
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    the only comedy i enjoy is the git er dun guy

5XoxZMX.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    jacobkosh japan

i read an interesting novella a while back (can't remember the particulars) about cold war human intelligence, where more assets were in the field rather than analytical, overheads, etc

anyway there was this long section on how a clean pass from one person to another- of microfilm or whatever- could be such a practiced maneuver that even a trained intelligence offer couldn't 'see' the exchange. you could know your targets and be watching them directly and still just not see it happen- but extrapolate that it had based on auxiliary intelligence.

i thought that was incredible, and quirkily relevant to what you're saying about how this narrative is woven with the viewer not really sure what they saw or learned.

It's stuff like that which makes intelligently written spy stuff so good.

All that "they know but how how do they know, and do they know that we know that they know?" kind of thing.

Cryptonomicon has a couple of cool sub plots relating to a WW2 Special Operations team whose whole purpose is to provide plausible reasons for the Allies to have certain intelligence so that they can act on it without revealing that communications codes have been broken. Like, establishing a fake observation post near a place that's going to be bombed and making it look like it's been there for months.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Walled garden freemium is a bad idea because it segments the community

Either charge for your game up front and include all the levels/dungeons/shit (excluding expansions) or don't and make your money selling skins and mounts and wearable purple dildos

And you can say a game's pricing model is stupid or you don't like it without being entitled

nerds have a really shitty attitude towards ftp games. i think it comes from the culture of piracy that people have gotten used to - they just expect that all media will be free for them pretty much always.

this is so very untrue

"nerds" have a shitty attitude towards FTP games because they are accustomed to getting X amount of content or play value per dollar. Most "free to play" (an Orwellian backwards-phrase is ever there was one, the accurate moniker is "Optimized for Profit") are usually set up in a way to extract for more money for far less content than what was previously the norm.

People without much experience gaming are those for whom the F2P model works best because they don't have a previously set opinion for what is a "ripoff" in games pricing. Also, some F2P games (mostly those coming from Korea, including Neverwinter) make their model deliberately confusing and so make it as difficult as possible to judge the value of what your dollars are getting you or how much you will be expected to cough up later (see: your own post about spending money on Neverwinter)

i totally agree that this is a problem, and i've not gotten far enough into neverwinter to run into this as a problem (though i absolutely believe you that it is).

there are bad ftp systems that are based upon confusing the consumer.

but i this is absolutely not what informed couscous's complaint that he couldn't finish all the game content without having to pay

he just didn't want to pay for game content

and this is generally the central complaint i hear
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    like he says he's gonna go down to the pancake house

and then he says "git er dun"

cracks me up every time

I can't decide on whether I should send you Delta Farce or Witless Protection for Secret Santa, Will.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    The first thing they could do is make aurum available only by paying real currency. But I don't think this would be sufficient.

Actually if CCP implemented this, they would probably fuck it up.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    my logitech g700's mouse wheel is TOO GOOD. It will continue spinning when I go to type a post, which inevitably causes some button combo, plus spinning mouse wheel to cause me to suddenly go back a page mid most. I fucking hate it.

Anyway, I had these little bastards running the backyard all morning and they collapsed on top of each other.

vrURsMf.jpg?1
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

There is a ton of PvE in EVE. It's just really dull.

It's all grindy shit to make money though. There is no reason for PvE in EVE unless you want to make money.

People do want to make money though.
    the shitty quality of camera phones desperately makes me want to buy a real camera. Are Rebels still "the thing" to buy or is something else better now (at the consumer high end level)
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Welp. Fell asleep in cab and it cost me $20 more than it should have.
    like he says he's gonna go down to the pancake house

and then he says "git er dun"

cracks me up every time

I can't decide on whether I should send you Delta Farce or Witless Protection for Secret Santa, Will.

o i already have them on blu-ray

wouldn't mind getting them for a 3d 4k tv setup tho

git er dun right up in my face in my living room
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

Either charge for your game up front and include all the levels/dungeons/shit (excluding expansions) or don't and make your money selling skins and mounts and wearable purple dildos

And you can say a game's pricing model is stupid or you don't like it without being entitled

nerds have a really shitty attitude towards ftp games. i think it comes from the culture of piracy that people have gotten used to - they just expect that all media will be free for them pretty much always.

I think this is kind of a generational thing. There's a particular segment of gamers/nerds who went through their formative years of having no money at the same time as that period of mass piracy being a thing that the media industry generally hadn't woken up to.

I disagree, only in so much that always-online and free to play server-side gaming's explosion is probably a direct industry counter to the problem.

Admittedly, there have been some successes and a lot of failures, but don't think that F2P came out of nowhere; they saw the writing on the wall and tried to do something about it.

Oh, no question. It's just that the piracy thing became a massive problem before any of the media industries began to even think about responding intelligently to it.

I'm thinking specifically of that generation of people that were kids with no money or students or whatever about ten years ago when you literally could trivially pirate pretty much anything on a whim at considerably greater convenience than acquiring it legally.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Last night I attempted to ice skate. Much fun was had till I managed to twist my ankle. That was less great.

oh shit, dude D:

Eh, I got ice cream out of it.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    Ludious wrote: »
    my logitech g700's mouse wheel is TOO GOOD. It will continue spinning when I go to type a post, which inevitably causes some button combo, plus spinning mouse wheel to cause me to suddenly go back a page mid most. I fucking hate it.

Anyway, I had these little bastards running the backyard all morning and they collapsed on top of each other.

vrURsMf.jpg?1

are they scotland terriers lud?

i didn't know you had dogs

those are your dogs, right?
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I've spent a lot of time on the planetside 2 reddit recently. It's really awesome because the devs (as in, the creative director, the art director, and the president of SOE) actually hang out there themselves and chat with the players with basically no PR filter going on. They've generated a massive amount of good will towards themselves by doing this, and showing a willingness to take suggestions and criticism directly which is really awesome.

They definitely have to put up with a lot of shit, though. I think the one thing that I will never understand is why nerds get so, incredibly angry about games. It just doesn't make any sense. Like even if you're disappointed with a game or you don't like it or had a bad time why would you be so livid about it? People can just be total douches about the games they play. Sometimes it's just like "Good god man, chill. Video games are like literally the least important thing in your life. Go hug your family or something."

But, yeah, so I bought the Planetside 2 devs a beer basket and had it shipped to their studio.
    vspgsp.jpg
    I have 3 dogs, and they are schnauzers with field cuts. I fucking hate regular schnauzer cuts.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Also someone stole half the pizza I had in the fridge. WTF?
    Winky wrote: »
    I've spent a lot of time on the planetside 2 reddit recently. It's really awesome because the devs (as in, the creative director, the art director, and the president of SOE) actually hang out there themselves and chat with the players with basically no PR filter going on. They've generated a massive amount of good will towards themselves by doing this, and showing a willingness to take suggestions and criticism directly which is really awesome.

They definitely have to put up with a lot of shit, though. I think the one thing that I will never understand is why nerds get so, incredibly angry about games. It just doesn't make any sense. Like even if you're disappointed with a game or you don't like it or had a bad time why would you be so livid about it? People can just be total douches about the games they play. Sometimes it's just like "Good god man, chill. Video games are like literally the least important thing in your life. Go hug your family or something."

But, yeah, so I bought the Planetside 2 devs a beer basket and had it shipped to their studio.

wait, for real
    xlh6c3.png
    I would ask them a lot about the terrible things they've done
    xlh6c3.png
    I'm thinking specifically of that generation of people that were kids with no money or students or whatever about ten years ago when you literally could trivially pirate pretty much anything on a whim at considerably greater convenience than acquiring it legally.

This is still the case.
    your dogs have mustaches
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I think this is kind of a generational thing. There's a particular segment of gamers/nerds who went through their formative years of having no money at the same time as that period of mass piracy being a thing that the media industry generally hadn't woken up to.

I disagree, only in so much that always-online and free to play server-side gaming's explosion is probably a direct industry counter to the problem.

Admittedly, there have been some successes and a lot of failures, but don't think that F2P came out of nowhere; they saw the writing on the wall and tried to do something about it.

Oh, no question. It's just that the piracy thing became a massive problem before any of the media industries began to even think about responding intelligently to it.

my piracy heydays were in the late 80s / early 90s when it meant zipspanning a game across a few floppy disks at a friends house then copying some stuff out of the manual by hand. Or downloading a game off a bbs (often paying long distance phone charges) at 1200 baud.

It's kind of weird to think of the 2000s as a time of rampant piracy.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Makin challah from scratch.

Gonna bake blueberry muffins while the dough rises. Saturday baking is fucking awesome. Why didn't I do this before?!?
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Tav wrote: »

This is still the case.

The "convenience gap" has been narrowed, though, with steam and suchlike.

But you can still trivially pirate pretty much anything on a whim.
    xlh6c3.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    i never spend any money on any of the f2p games i play*

*i spent money on blc to reward them for making a good game tho. THEN IT ALL WENT TO SHIT. NEVER AGAIN
    the art director of planetside 2 I especially want to interrogate.
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.