Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    This Ramsey guy who helped free those kidnapped girls is amazing.

He is straight up heroic, but he also falls squarely into like all of the harmless black stereotypes, and the media really doesn't know what to do with him.

Like, whenever he talked about sharing watermelon and ribs at the BBQ with the suspect not knowing anything was wrong, or how he knew something was wrong when a cute white girl ran into his black arms "cause that just doesn't happen" -- everyone gets nervous and it's hilarious.

All said, that guy is a champion. He refused any rewards for helping them and said anything they would reward him to give it to the girls instead because they need it more. He is a total class act.

"There's a stereotype that black people like to shout at movie theatres"
    *Awkward laughter*
    "and there's a stereotype that white people are uptight, and I guess you just proved it with that first thing"
    Fuck anyone who talks in a theater.

I will throw popcorn, and shit at you until you stop.

Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    P10 wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    P10, don't try and claim you've haven't spent cash money on dotes
    i haven't. i got 5 keys for the beta (back when that meant something) for free - i won the playdota forums giveaway, and then got invited by valve nearly simultaneously. i 'bought' HoN for $10 dollars before it went f2p tho.
    if i had spent money on dota2 i would buy some bitching mirana cosmetics and strut that shit all day
    Really?

I've probably spent $50 on dota 2, easy.

Valve got its hooks in me nooo
    i wouldn't be opposed to dropping like $30 to let valve know they did a good job but there hasn't been anything i've really cared about buying because cosmetics aren't super appealing (and they lack good cosmetics for the heroes i like a lot)
    What about the Compendium?

TehSpectre on
    sigvf.jpg
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I'm thinking specifically of that generation of people that were kids with no money or students or whatever about ten years ago when you literally could trivially pirate pretty much anything on a whim at considerably greater convenience than acquiring it legally.

This is still the case.
    Not really. Steam (and to a lesser extent origin), along with direct download games on xbl, iTunes, google play and psn have really made the truly convenient route the route where you have your credit card tied to an easy gateway that sells you a copy of the game that just works.

Piracy, while still easy, is harder than this, and really the only people doing it now for video games are douches.

Getting into the specifics is verboten, but no, piracy is a lot easier than all of that.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    before you put too much leg work into this though

i should point out that i have remembered BBC iplayer is a thing

R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    Ludious wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Ludious doesn't your logitech mouse have a gearing button that'll make it sort of click through each step along the wheel?

My MX Revolution lets me alternate between standard and "free spin".

...holy shit it does. I was about to tell you that you were a crazy person and that mice do not have transmissions, but I pushed a random button on top if it and it stopped the free spin

:^:
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    A new sitcom starring Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Derek Jacobi as a couple? This is relevant to my interests
    jBEKRTH.png
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    j20mC4j.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

My friend used to have access to the livestream iPlayer on her laptop. Then they figured out she was in the wrong country and cut her off. BBC iPlayer is a gift to be cherished.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    @Ludious doesn't your logitech mouse have a gearing button that'll make it sort of click through each step along the wheel?

My MX Revolution lets me alternate between standard and "free spin".

...holy shit it does. I was about to tell you that you were a crazy person and that mice do not have transmissions, but I pushed a random button on top if it and it stopped the free spin

:^:

MX Revs are rad that way
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    This Ramsey guy who helped free those kidnapped girls is amazing.

He is straight up heroic, but he also falls squarely into like all of the harmless black stereotypes, and the media really doesn't know what to do with him.

Like, whenever he talked about sharing watermelon and ribs at the BBQ with the suspect not knowing anything was wrong, or how he knew something was wrong when a cute white girl ran into his black arms "cause that just doesn't happen" -- everyone gets nervous and it's hilarious.

All said, that guy is a champion. He refused any rewards for helping them and said anything they would reward him to give it to the girls instead because they need it more. He is a total class act.

Dude is excellent.

It is a thing I get annoyed with; cultures are different. We have a wide variety of different cultures in this country.

We have people who dance wearing boots and with bud light bottles in their hands. We have people who engage in backyard barbecues as a cultural tradition and view the barber shop as a sacred institution. We have people who go sailing and do clam bakes. We have people who dress up in fancy costumes and do awesome dances to honor their families.

Instead of people being uncomfortable about the differences whenever they arise, why can't we just be like "wow, we live in an awesome diverse country and this is one of the many characters that populate it," and not get all wound up or obviously uncomfortable over it.
    meat.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    @Ludious

One of the buttons near the bottom of the scroll wheel is a toggle that engages a clutch on the scroll wheel. Switches it between free spinning and clicky regular mode.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Japan

To my knowledge all stab vests worn by police officers in the UK offer some level of protection against firearms.

Mostly pistols given they've not got ceramic-plates, but when those two GMP police women were killed the vests stopped any of the bullets penetrating it.

Oh cool.

I just remember it being a thing when they were first introduced to Strathclyde Police. The papers mostly presented it as "ballistic vests won't stop knives, stab vests won't stop bullets".

Kinda. There are stab resistance vests that don't provide much ballistic protection. And some ballistic vests can be stabbed through. And there are some vests that are rated for both.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Yeah, I see that now, I don't actually use all of those extra buttons

seem frivolous for my uses.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    I go through sigs like Narwhal goes through avatars. For I am a fickle beast who likes to play around with Photoshop more and more.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "see, the joke is that the bear is a pedophile, no, wait, where are you going"
    xlh6c3.png

My friend used to have access to the livestream iPlayer on her laptop. Then they figured out she was in the wrong country and cut her off. BBC iPlayer is a gift to be cherished.

there... are ways...

>.>
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    MX Revolution is just a good mouse. I hate most wireless mice but the Rev is good.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Oh my god, to hell with Jenny Shecter.

This heifer.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Visible Pedobear hand tattoo = I do not desire steady, gainful employment ever and am not disturbed by that frightening visage while rubbing one off.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

This heifer.

Mim, when I said the show is horrible....did you think I was speaking because I adore hyperbole?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, did you guys know?

Without Canadian Soldiers, there would never have been a Gangnam Style!

But you don't see Psy paying his respects to Canadian Soldiers, do ya?
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

there... are ways...

>.>

Step 1) Move to the colonies, say, just off the top of my head, New Zealand.
    Raven when you do end up in this neck of the woods i we fully should swap numbers

i want to drink with moar [chat] people

my next target is Bogarts red hot board gaming action night :winky:
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Mim wrote: »

This heifer.

All this heifer use is making me remember I used to think heifer was some kind of spice you put on food, or a smelling salt.
    Feral wrote: »
    MX Revolution is just a good mouse. I hate most wireless mice but the Rev is good.

I will continue to buy them for work until they don't make 'em anymore. They're perfect for the RSI from technology work, they're well made, hold a charge forever...

Love it almost as much as my Dyson.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    So, totally not trying to be dramatic or anything, but I feel like I have to express this somewhere to folks who don't know me personally, in real life.
    This past week I read this interesting blog post on depression: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

I also watched this interesting presentation on mood disorders in my own profession: http://www.confreaks.com/videos/2341-mwrc2013-devs-and-depression

Some background: Back in 2007 I was diagnosed with a mood disorder, but I didn't really believe it. My negative emotions had grounding in events that actually happened to me (went from hardcore Christian to atheist, plus came out as gay, and lost most of my friends because of both of those facts, and experienced some pretty terrible responses from my parents whom I was close to) and once I moved past those events things got better.

However, for the past year or so things haven't really been so great. One the one hand, anxiety has started to really make things difficult. On a week to week basis, I can have a week where everything is fine and I don't feel especially anxious at all, or I can have a week where doing anything with other humans causes me physical pain -- trouble breathing, heart pounding, headaches --, and most of the time my anxious feelings are somewhere in the middle. And on the other hand, I feel like my emotional range has been really limited. The best I feel is mildly amused, and the worst I feel is just sort of mildly sad. I tend to have the same emotional reaction to Iron Man 3 as I do to doing work.

This has caused me to have troubling thoughts about the nature of my own experience as a human being. I look out to the possible experiences that I could have and I find myself knowing that they'll all feel flat to me, and not really that different. And I also find myself feeling sort of exhausted -- the prospect of experiencing life feels like a chore that I just have to get through. It is difficult for me to observe both of these facts (life's events feeling emotionally flat, plus feeling that life's events are a chore) and not drift into thoughts about my own continued consciousness ultimately being of questionable value. Which makes me want to ignore the entire issue altogether, as I have done for some time.

The weird thing is that I really don't have any reason to feel bad or anxious about things. I have a good career. I don't have money problems. I have lots of time off. I am safe and healthy. I have friends, even though for the past year I haven't really spent much time with them (due to the aforementioned emotional issues). I guess I've just been imagining/hoping that I'll just get better. But it's been a while now, and things haven't been getting better. In the past six months or so, it's been quite the opposite -- things feel like they're getting a fair bit worse

So I scheduled a doctor's appointment for next week. This is something I'm sort of ashamed of, I guess. Like why should I be complaining, I have so much more than other people do who have legitimate reason to be upset. I haven't talked about this at all to people I know in real life. I'm half imagining that the doctor will think I'm just seeking out drugs for recreational use or something. ANYways.

Do not ever feel bad about getting help for these kinds of problems. I'm glad that you're going to see a doctor, because chances are they can really help you out. Ahedonia (difficulty in feeling pleasure in things you usually enjoy) is absolutely a major symptom of depression, and going through tough times in your life can absolutely lead to prolonged depression that needs to be treated and won't just go away on its own. The truth is that if you're ever wondering "maybe I ought to talk to a psychiatrist", the answer is almost always yes. Even if there's no treatment they can give you (which I can assure you in this case there most certainly is), they can at least allay your fears or get you in contact with a therapist who can talk you through your feelings.
    vspgsp.jpg
    Mortious wrote: »

there... are ways...

>.>

really? they let you guys watch iplayer?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I like that they specify specifically the canadians

nevermind the everyone who was in korea

the canadians were the key to victory. Well, except it wasn't won. But y'know. The key to stalemate.
    xlh6c3.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Japan

To my knowledge all stab vests worn by police officers in the UK offer some level of protection against firearms.

Mostly pistols given they've not got ceramic-plates, but when those two GMP police women were killed the vests stopped any of the bullets penetrating it.

Oh cool.

I just remember it being a thing when they were first introduced to Strathclyde Police. The papers mostly presented it as "ballistic vests won't stop knives, stab vests won't stop bullets".

Kinda. There are stab resistance vests that don't provide much ballistic protection. And some ballistic vests can be stabbed through. And there are some vests that are rated for both.

It was these I was thinking of: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/446757.stm

I'm pretty sure they started designing their own in the mid-90s.
    Oh yeah, did you guys know?

Without Canadian Soldiers, there would never have been a Gangnam Style!

But you don't see Psy paying his respects to Canadian Soldiers, do ya?

Canadian conservative takes credit for someone else's hard work in more ways then one, looks like complete tool, sky continues to be blue.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Visible Pedobear hand tattoo = I want to be unhappy

ftfy
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Raven when you do end up in this neck of the woods i we fully should swap numbers

Agreed! I'm always super jelly when I hear another game night is happening over there. Where does Bogart live? Birmingham?
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure that at this point every game I ever pirated back in the day I now own on GoG
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I like that they specify specifically the canadians

nevermind the everyone who was in korea

the canadians were the key to victory. Well, except it wasn't won. But y'know. The key to stalemate.

We were there for two reasons really; to pretend we now had a more independent foreign policy from that of Britain, and to appease our new best buds in that regard, the Americans. And it was dumb and ultimately futile, but most things involving the Cold War were dumb and ultimately futile. I guess we can say at least we weren't in Vietnam.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Agreed! I'm always super jelly when I hear another game night is happening over there. Where does Bogart live? Birmingham?

Bogart is in Nottingham. Cesca and myself are in Brum (about ten minutes away from other Raven). We tend to alternate board gaming between here and there.

And maybe Cambridge depending on where @Mojo_Jojo ends up living. I don't think any of the London lot have living arrangements that lend themselves to hosting, but a few have come up this way.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular

Mine not good enough for you then.

Fine, don't come play boardgames at mine in Zjune.

*cries*
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

there... are ways...

>.>

really? they let you guys watch iplayer?

No idea I mean yes.
This discussion has been closed.