Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    I should ask Bogart if Nottingham gets many tourists who only know or care about the place because of it's relation to Robin Hood.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I should ask Bogart if Nottingham gets many tourists who only know or care about the place because of it's relation to Robin Hood.

Do you think the sheriff constantly gets booed?
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I like that they specify specifically the canadians

nevermind the everyone who was in korea

the canadians were the key to victory. Well, except it wasn't won. But y'know. The key to stalemate.

We were there for two reasons really; to pretend we now had a more independent foreign policy from that of Britain, and to appease our new best buds in that regard, the Americans. And it was dumb and ultimately futile, but most things involving the Cold War were dumb and ultimately futile. I guess we can say at least we weren't in Vietnam.

well, not that dumb. I mean, at least half of korea isn't north korea.

(but saying that canadian soldiers where the key is strange.)
    xlh6c3.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Japan

To my knowledge all stab vests worn by police officers in the UK offer some level of protection against firearms.

Mostly pistols given they've not got ceramic-plates, but when those two GMP police women were killed the vests stopped any of the bullets penetrating it.

Oh cool.

I just remember it being a thing when they were first introduced to Strathclyde Police. The papers mostly presented it as "ballistic vests won't stop knives, stab vests won't stop bullets".

Kinda. There are stab resistance vests that don't provide much ballistic protection. And some ballistic vests can be stabbed through. And there are some vests that are rated for both.

It was these I was thinking of: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/446757.stm

I'm pretty sure they started designing their own in the mid-90s.

It's possible those are just stab resistant. I'm not sure if I was a Scottish police department that I'd spend the money on bullet resistance for the average cop on patrol. I might divert that money in broken glass resistance.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Tav wrote: »
    "see, the joke is that the bear is a pedophile, no, wait, where are you going"

ixu096N.jpg

Actually, all bears are child molesters.
    Robos A Go Go on
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

When I met Bogart, I do believe he talked about Nottingham. And yes, he did say something about the bulk of tourists coming because of Robin Hood.
    meat.jpg
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Oh my god, to hell with Jenny Shecter.

This heifer.

Mim, when I said the show is horrible....did you think I was speaking because I adore hyperbole?

No, but I'm in it now. I must complete it no matter how much it pains me. Just so I can have a well rounded opinion on it.

but Kit and Alice are the only ones I still like.

I'm tepid towards Tina and Shane

I absolutely hate Bette, Jenny, Helena, and Dana.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Lord that tattoo. Ughhhhhhh.
    3FMmC.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

England doesn't have Sheriffs anymore.

Scotland does, Sheriff Courts being roughly equivalent to County Courts in England.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Mim, is the book in your sig titled <3 or <3<3<3?
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    tonight I will make a flourless chocolate cake for my wife to have on mothers day

and tomorrow I will make her white chili

this is my gift

This heifer.

Mim, when I said the show is horrible....did you think I was speaking because I adore hyperbole?

No, but I'm in it now. I must complete it no matter how much it pains me. Just so I can have a well rounded opinion on it.

It doesn't get better, it just keeps arcing downward. And you'll hate the whole cast by the end.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

the canadians were the key to victory. Well, except it wasn't won. But y'know. The key to stalemate.

We were there for two reasons really; to pretend we now had a more independent foreign policy from that of Britain, and to appease our new best buds in that regard, the Americans. And it was dumb and ultimately futile, but most things involving the Cold War were dumb and ultimately futile. I guess we can say at least we weren't in Vietnam.

I can say, having read about our involvement in stuff like the world wars and the 2nd Boer War, that no, we were hardly the key to anything and it was mostly just a show of token support for the Americans and democrary(TM). We did lose people and fight, but we didn't have any real impact the way the Chinese and the Americans did.

We've only ever been involved in Afghanistan and various UN Peacekeeping missions since then, both because we try not to follow Washington's line too closely and because we just don't have that big a military, even if it is pretty well armed and trained.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    Leitner wrote: »
    Japan

To my knowledge all stab vests worn by police officers in the UK offer some level of protection against firearms.

Mostly pistols given they've not got ceramic-plates, but when those two GMP police women were killed the vests stopped any of the bullets penetrating it.

Oh cool.

I just remember it being a thing when they were first introduced to Strathclyde Police. The papers mostly presented it as "ballistic vests won't stop knives, stab vests won't stop bullets".

Kinda. There are stab resistance vests that don't provide much ballistic protection. And some ballistic vests can be stabbed through. And there are some vests that are rated for both.

It was these I was thinking of: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/446757.stm

I'm pretty sure they started designing their own in the mid-90s.

It's possible those are just stab resistant. I'm not sure if I was a Scottish police department that I'd spend the money on bullet resistance for the average cop on patrol. I might divert that money in broken glass resistance.

That was kind of the point in designing their own. There wasn't really anything available at the time that was intended to provide protection from edged weapons and could be worn all day. Prior to that they had been trying out vests to a US design apparently intended for prison riots, and they were massive.

Scotland does, Sheriff Courts being roughly equivalent to County Courts in England.

Constabulary still a thing?

I can say, having read about our involvement in stuff like the world wars and the 2nd Boer War, that no, we were hardly the key to anything and it was mostly just a show of token support for the Americans and democrary(TM). We did lose people and fight, but we didn't have any real impact the way the Chinese and the Americans did.

We've only ever been involved in Afghanistan and various UN Peacekeeping missions since then, both because we try not to follow Washington's line too closely and because we just don't have that big a military, even if it is pretty well armed and trained.

well you did have a significant contribution to the korean war.

Of course the brits had a two and a half times larger contribution and the americans some twenty times the soldiers and south koreans with the most of everyone, but that doesn't mean it's not insignificant.

(we were there too actually, medical assistance. NORMASH.)
    xlh6c3.png
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm thinking specifically of that generation of people that were kids with no money or students or whatever about ten years ago when you literally could trivially pirate pretty much anything on a whim at considerably greater convenience than acquiring it legally.

This is still the case.
    Not really. Steam (and to a lesser extent origin), along with direct download games on xbl, iTunes, google play and psn have really made the truly convenient route the route where you have your credit card tied to an easy gateway that sells you a copy of the game that just works.

Piracy, while still easy, is harder than this, and really the only people doing it now for video games are douches.

No, piracy is not harder than that at all.

1: open steam
    2: buy game
    3: wait
    4: play game

Vs.

1: go to website
    2: download a torrent file
    3: open torrent file in a program that will try to block bad non encrypted connections so you don't get cease and desist letters, and then wait.
    4: unrar/unzip
    5: mount ISO and run installer
    6: use some kind of crack file to replace the executable
    7: avoid any updates to the game because they will break it

I mean, sure, you can do these things because you are technologically competent, but don't act like its equally as easy.

syndalis on
    meat.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @simonwolf the "In Our Time" podcast from last week is on Gnosticism.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    984px-NORMASH_nurse_Korea.jpg

speaking of

here's captain Petra Drabløs, norwegian nurse, nursing a canadian soldier, vice corporal M. R. Stevens during the korean war.
    xlh6c3.png

Constabulary still a thing?

Some. the police in Scotland is now a single organisation, but a few of the English police forces are still termed Constabularies.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    CtaELxT.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gotta make more decks now, wish me luck.
    21stCentury on
    I'm thinking specifically of that generation of people that were kids with no money or students or whatever about ten years ago when you literally could trivially pirate pretty much anything on a whim at considerably greater convenience than acquiring it legally.

This is still the case.
    Not really. Steam (and to a lesser extent origin), along with direct download games on xbl, iTunes, google play and psn have really made the truly convenient route the route where you have your credit card tied to an easy gateway that sells you a copy of the game that just works.

Piracy, while still easy, is harder than this, and really the only people doing it now for video games are douches.

Vs.

3: open torrent file in a program that will try to block bad non encrypted connections so you don't get cease and desist letters, and then wait.

I mean, sure, you can do these things because you are technologically competent, but don't act like its equally as easy.

steam involves more steps than that. And you've padded the piracy with extra steps.
    xlh6c3.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

This is still the case.

Vs.

Your first part is missing quite a few steps.

There's pretty much just as many clicks between both methods.

And for certain publishers (Ubisoft and GFWL) ease of use skews heavily in favour of the piracy.
    Gotta make more decks now, wish me luck.

why you

anyway no

my mother is not that old
    xlh6c3.png
    Ugh. Limos.

They are indelibly associated with insurance fraud in my mind.

In 2009 various local authorities started enforcing a rule that vehicles with side facing seats couldn't be used as private hire vehicles. Coincidentally a tremendous number of them started being "stolen" and found burned out.
    Captain Petra Drabløs looks like a very mothering kind of person.

If you're hurt and in some foreign country far far from home

I think she wouldn't be such a bad substitute for your mom to make it all better.
    xlh6c3.png

This heifer.

It doesn't get better, it just keeps arcing downward. And you'll hate the whole cast by the end.

I've hated Jenny since day 1 but not as much as I hate her in season 3. I do wish they had kept Alice and Jenny bisexual though so there'd be some diversity but I'm making due.

I'm not looking forward to the dog episodes.
    I am so pissed at uplay (Ubisoft) right now. I bought Heroes 6 from them a while back (good game) but someone it got associated with a broken uplay account with no email address (which is impossible for a user, that is a required field) and they are giving me no end of shit about switching it to my real uplay account.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Mim, is the book in your sig titled <3 or <3<3<3?

I think it's <3<3<3 :P
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i knew someone who got in (legal) trouble for pirating porn

i laughed at his expense vigorously
    P10 on
    I kept reading about NORMASH because it's interesting also because I recall a documentary about some dude who was there - and kinda fell in love with Korea when he was.

NORMASH had 90'000 patients come through.
    xlh6c3.png
    Going into the Privacy thread. Learning that people vastly overestimate the capability of facial recognition software.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I am so pissed at uplay (Ubisoft) right now. I bought Heroes 6 from them a while back (good game) but someone it got associated with a broken uplay account with no email address (which is impossible for a user, that is a required field) and they are giving me no end of shit about switching it to my real uplay account.
    Yeah I bought some game and it made me use uplay and now I don't play it. AD4040 or something? Who knows and who cares.
    3FMmC.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Syndalis you did not include the steps involved in acquiring the money you spend on Steam!

In your instance please attach $60 worth of source code.
    I am curious as to what steps I have padded the act of pirating a game. If anything, I feel like I kind of simplified it, because I left out the tedious task of reading forums to find out why X patch didn't work on Y download, and finding out you needed to get the 1.02 version of the executable and swap the dll file from Z folder, and all of that bullshit hell that almost always occurs with choosing not to pay money for your funtimes.
    meat.jpg
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Going into the Privacy thread. Learning that people vastly overestimate the capability of facial recognition software.

Well most people are talking about a future macigal face recognition software.

There's really half a dozen different conversations going on there.

It can see through your clothes!!!

I think it's still legit to worry about some of the things we could be capable of doing with a computer built into our glasses and eventually eyes, but yeah, hyperbolic train has docked at that station.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @organichu

i was thinking of you while singing in the shower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJHYDkvRB2Y
    on that sunny day, didn't know i'd see
    such a beautiful ass, bouncin' down the street
    that short sweater dress, with cheeks swoopin' down
    i wanna get that brown
    where is it now
    mama listen

little asshole, i hunger for you
    you deal with fears that you don't have to
    he doesn't love you, i can tell he's too young
    but you can feel this rear love
    if you just sit on my

got that ass on my mind, girl don't you turn around
    if we carry on this way, i just might eat that brown
    how 'bout you lie on down
    and i'll just go to town

girl i still want that brown
    where is it now
    mama listen

little asshole, i hunger for you
    you deal with fears that you don't have to
    he doesn't love you, i can tell he's too young
    but you can feel this rear love
    if you just sit on my

tuh-uh-uh
    tuh-uh-uh
    tuh
    uh
    tongue

tuh-uh-uh
    tuh-uh-uh
    tuh
    uh
    tongue
    Evil Multifarious on
    Yeah I bought some game and it made me use uplay and now I don't play it. AD4040 or something? Who knows and who cares.

I have AD 2070 (if that's what you mean) as well and at least that one got properly linked to my uplay account

The crappy thing is that, unlike EA/Origin, Ubisoft makes games that are good enough for me to buy them despite their asshatery. AD 2070 is really good if you like economic / trading / town building games. And they also make The Settlers which is pretty darn good as well. And Heroes 6 (if I could just get in to play it!)
This discussion has been closed.