Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    The only freenium games I've paid for have been flash ones. And both tower defenses. I also invested absurd amounts of time into both and their sequels are the games I'm most looking forwards to at the moment.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    kosh i am watching tinker tailor

@Organichu hell yes

pay super close attention, though. turn on the subtitles if you miss something. the movie plays mostly fair but you are told things ONCE and ONCE ONLY

I am actually glad I watched it on DVD where I had the luxury of taking my time to really get what was going on

The book (and Le Carre in general) is like this too.

I don't know if that was deliberate or not but I've always had the impression that as a writer he tried to cultivate that sense of never being quite sure that you haven't missed something important. Which obviously works well for spy novels.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Did I just make a successful CHA roll with a shopkeeper?

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

i might make fun of it too

but for probably the opposite reason as you

I've never been in a banana republic. Even with my weight lost I doubt they have my size. I can wear XL shirts now but they have to have length to them or I get a belly shirt that is too short to even stay tucked in. That's usually called XLT. I've never seen a mall clothing store that isn't a MTM/Suit Store that has extra length shirts.

Well, I guess the more urban clothing stores do, passively, because all their shirts go down to your knees and/or ankles

i have really long arms and have had a hard time finding shirts that fit me right

really, the only answer, if you have unusual sizes, is to go for upmarket retailers

brooks brothers carries "tall" sizes, and that's great for suiting

i'd look at land's end, lud. they are (fairly) reasonably priced, durable, have some stylish offerings, and cater to a lot of sizes

@irondwill

Thanks, I wasn't ignoring this. Just had to look. No Land's end within 200m of me and the nearest BB is in New Orleans (100+miles)

bleh.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    I laugh at everything. Like, people use me to look funnier because I will laugh at all their jokes and my stupid laugh makes other people laugh.

But I don't think I've ever even smiled while watching a Mel Brooks film, or been able to finish one.

Blazing Saddles closing 15 minutes are so majestic that if you don't crack a grin you are broken inside.
    meat.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    5yxj7.jpg

am I doin it rite
    xlh6c3.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The style of humour from Airplane and similar movies is completely lost on me

I don't think I laughed once the last time I saw Airplane

How do you like Mel Brooks movies?

I absolutely loathe them and don't understand why anyone likes them, even after talking about it and making the effort

Usually I can understand contrary opinions but nope

You like Archer, which is all dialog and alcoholic jokes. You don't like Mel Brooks and Carrot Top, which is all prop humor and visual absurdity.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Time for Doctor Who!! @Casual

DoctorWhoNightmareInSilver.jpg

Neil Gaiman's episode is sure to be a winner. :D

@Ravenhpltc24

i am now consumed with guilt that i wasn't here when you @'d me

i was in a game of monaco because i got it into my head that who was at 6:15 and i'd already missed it

seppuku?

y/n

That'll be tree fiddy.

tree fiddy?!?

woman, i ain't givin you no gawd dayum tree fiddy

dayum loch ness monster be comin back round here askin fo gawd dayum tree fiddy...
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Last night I attempted to ice skate. Much fun was had till I managed to twist my ankle. That was less great.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I get the feeling I must have missed a lot of what was going on in Tinker Tailor. A whole lot.

I say this because it had sense and wasn't especially difficult to follow, so I must have missed enough to even realise I was missing things. This worries me as it's a bit like believing people speaking foreign languages are just making nonsense noises at one another.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    5yxj7.jpg

am I doin it rite

needs less neck

65186_247279625402969_1984517404_n.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Walled garden freemium is a bad idea because it segments the community

Either charge for your game up front and include all the levels/dungeons/shit (excluding expansions) or don't and make your money selling skins and mounts and wearable purple dildos

And you can say a game's pricing model is stupid or you don't like it without being entitled

nerds have a really shitty attitude towards ftp games. i think it comes from the culture of piracy that people have gotten used to - they just expect that all media will be free for them pretty much always.

Mmm, I don't think so. I think it's because free to play is inherently deceptive in many cases - it's trying to make you spend more money than you normally would by dividing it into small, negligible purchases or fees. And because it's so often poorly implemented, it often makes games unbalanced or badly designed as well.

This gives a bad rap to the whole model, even when some are done well.
    now I'm not saying I picked the picture where you can make out the most people laughing but
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Did I just make a successful CHA roll with a shopkeeper?

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

i might make fun of it too

but for probably the opposite reason as you

I've never been in a banana republic. Even with my weight lost I doubt they have my size. I can wear XL shirts now but they have to have length to them or I get a belly shirt that is too short to even stay tucked in. That's usually called XLT. I've never seen a mall clothing store that isn't a MTM/Suit Store that has extra length shirts.

Well, I guess the more urban clothing stores do, passively, because all their shirts go down to your knees and/or ankles

i have really long arms and have had a hard time finding shirts that fit me right

really, the only answer, if you have unusual sizes, is to go for upmarket retailers

brooks brothers carries "tall" sizes, and that's great for suiting

i'd look at land's end, lud. they are (fairly) reasonably priced, durable, have some stylish offerings, and cater to a lot of sizes

@irondwill

Thanks, I wasn't ignoring this. Just had to look. No Land's end within 200m of me and the nearest BB is in New Orleans (100+miles)

bleh.

land's end is almost all mail-order, though most sears stores will have a small "lands end" section

what i would do is order stuff, and if it didn't fit or i didn't like it, i'd drop it off at sears and they'd refund my account

their customer service is really fantastic. mail-order is kind of a pain in the ass, but they make it as painless and risk-free as possible.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    5yxj7.jpg

am I doin it rite

Yessss. This has replaced naked sock man!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I need to know

What my hair should look like
    vspgsp.jpg
    Tav wrote: »
    5yxj7.jpg

am I doin it rite

needs less neck

65186_247279625402969_1984517404_n.jpg

I did a very, very weird combination of laugh and frigthened shout just now
    xlh6c3.png
    Over the past two weeks I have sampled 7 different kinds of hummus humans.

what i read the first time having been in [chat] for some of ravens recent confessions
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »

@Organichu hell yes

pay super close attention, though. turn on the subtitles if you miss something. the movie plays mostly fair but you are told things ONCE and ONCE ONLY

I am actually glad I watched it on DVD where I had the luxury of taking my time to really get what was going on

I don't know if that was deliberate or not but I've always had the impression that as a writer he tried to cultivate that sense of never being quite sure that you haven't missed something important. Which obviously works well for spy novels.

I've never read him, and I need to.

I should put that on the docket after I finish this book of Bruce Sterling shorts.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I tolerate F2P by expecting some level of absurdity and if I feel I don't want to deal with that at any given time or with a certain game I just steer clear.

@Ravenhpltc24

i was in a game of monaco because i got it into my head that who was at 6:15 and i'd already missed it

seppuku?

y/n

That'll be tree fiddy.

tree fiddy?!?

dayum loch ness monster be comin back round here askin fo gawd dayum tree fiddy...

You said it would be worth it for text alerts!!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    the only comedy i enjoy is the git er dun guy
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Last night I attempted to ice skate. Much fun was had till I managed to twist my ankle. That was less great.

oh shit, dude D:
    Winky wrote: »
    I need to know

What my hair should look like

get a hitler youth
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    She picked me up and sat me on her knee
    And said dear boy won't you come home with me
    Well I'm not the world's most passionate guy
    But when I looked in her eyes well I almost fell for my Lola
    Lo lo lo lo Lola lo lo lo lo Lola

He said "Luke, stay away from the darker side,
    And if you start to go astray, let the Force be your guide.
    I know Darth Vader's really got you annoyed,
    but remember, if you kill him, then you'll be unemployed."
    Yoda, yo yo yo yo yoda, yo yo yo yo yodaaaa.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    How could you make EVE F2P though? The whole game is player driven. There are almost no PVE things to do in EVE
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    tav your audience looks pretty engaged
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh @japan

i read an interesting novella a while back (can't remember the particulars) about cold war human intelligence, where more assets were in the field rather than analytical, overheads, etc

anyway there was this long section on how a clean pass from one person to another- of microfilm or whatever- could be such a practiced maneuver that even a trained intelligence offer couldn't 'see' the exchange. you could know your targets and be watching them directly and still just not see it happen- but extrapolate that it had based on auxiliary intelligence.

i thought that was incredible, and quirkily relevant to what you're saying about how this narrative is woven with the viewer not really sure what they saw or learned.

@Ravenhpltc24

seppuku?

y/n

That'll be tree fiddy.

tree fiddy?!?

and did you text me?

NO, YOU DIDN'T
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Either charge for your game up front and include all the levels/dungeons/shit (excluding expansions) or don't and make your money selling skins and mounts and wearable purple dildos

And you can say a game's pricing model is stupid or you don't like it without being entitled

nerds have a really shitty attitude towards ftp games. i think it comes from the culture of piracy that people have gotten used to - they just expect that all media will be free for them pretty much always.

I think this is kind of a generational thing. There's a particular segment of gamers/nerds who went through their formative years of having no money at the same time as that period of mass piracy being a thing that the media industry generally hadn't woken up to.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

@Organichu hell yes

It does give a certain urge to reread his books in general.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    brb must walk dog before he melts me with his eye mounted guilt laz0rs
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

@Ravenhpltc24

seppuku?

y/n

That'll be tree fiddy.

tree fiddy?!?

and did you text me?

NO, YOU DIDN'T

Canna hav yo numba.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    like he says he's gonna go down to the pancake house

and then he says "git er dun"

cracks me up every time
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    How could you make EVE F2P though? The whole game is player driven. There are almost no PVE things to do in EVE

There is a ton of PvE in EVE. It's just really dull.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    like he says he's gonna go down to the pancake house

and then he says "git er dun"

cracks me up every time

it's like he's lived the same life i have, collected the same welfare checks
    also I just have a lot of neck

and ears and nose

deal

with

it
    [img][/img]2z4y6w9.jpg
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

this is so very untrue

"nerds" have a shitty attitude towards FTP games because they are accustomed to getting X amount of content or play value per dollar. Most "free to play" (an Orwellian backwards-phrase is ever there was one, the accurate moniker is "Optimized for Profit") are usually set up in a way to extract far more money for far less content than what was previously the norm.

People without much experience gaming are those for whom the F2P model works best because they don't have a previously set opinion for what is a "ripoff" in games pricing. Also, some F2P games (mostly those coming from Korea, including Neverwinter) make their model deliberately confusing and so make it as difficult as possible to judge the value of what your dollars are getting you or how much you will be expected to cough up later (see: your own post about spending money on Neverwinter)
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

I think this is kind of a generational thing. There's a particular segment of gamers/nerds who went through their formative years of having no money at the same time as that period of mass piracy being a thing that the media industry generally hadn't woken up to.

I disagree, only in so much that always-online and free to play server-side gaming's explosion is probably a direct industry counter to the problem.

Admittedly, there have been some successes and a lot of failures, but don't think that F2P came out of nowhere; they saw the writing on the wall and tried to do something about it.
    meat.jpg
This discussion has been closed.