Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Actually now that I think about it that's probably a secondary point, the main point being if you like the game enough to get that far why isn't the content you need to pay for worth it.
    Sarksus on
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    How much enjoyment do you need from a game before you consider it worthy of spending money on?
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    trying to find a cool ref for an idea

found this

I too was a little disturbed by that at first, but if you think about it the reason is obvious, riot police have to deal with stuff like bricks and bottles being thrown at them, stuff a bit of padded armor would really help with. Soldiers are being shot at with bullets and RPG's, we haven't invented armor that is strong enough to protect against those kinds of weapons while being light and flexible enough to be worn by a person. So really the best defence for a solder remains being quick enough to find cover.
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If I play a F2P game for more than like..4 hours, I will throw down $30 as soon as I'm able, even if I only get another 4 hours out of it.

Why?

That's 8 hours. I've paid $50+ for plenty of 8 hour FPS's

Entitlement is revealed so easily with F2P
    Ludious on
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
    Casual wrote: »
    haha

aiplane! is still gold

it's lost nothing

truly the golden age of American comedy

"*BLLLLLAAAARG* Ohhhh, I haven't been this ill since I watched that Ronald Reagan movie"

The genius is that the bulk of the script is played straight, with the characters reacting to both silly and serious with the same stoic reactions.

"yes, I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    kosh i am watching tinker tailor
    though it has to be said, just about every part of airplane! with a black person in it is hella racist
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Organichu wrote: »

NO YOU'RE POSTING ON THE FORUM YOU JUST MISSED SOMETHING IMPORTANT
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    haha

aiplane! is still gold

it's lost nothing

truly the golden age of American comedy

"*BLLLLLAAAARG* Ohhhh, I haven't been this ill since I watched that Ronald Reagan movie"

The genius is that the bulk of the script is played straight, with the characters reacting to both silly and serious with the same stoic reactions.

"yes, I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

You can't be sure for another two hours?
    Sarksus wrote: »

i haven't started the film yet amfrony
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Did I just make a successful CHA roll with a shopkeeper?

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

i might make fun of it too

but for probably the opposite reason as you

@irond will

Without even asking you where you shop, I would confidently wager $100 that you spend more money and time on clothing than I do and you're a better dresser than me.
    Irond Will wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    So went to Banana Republic where they remembered me because I am always super charming to them apparently and tried on clothes. I was making chit chat with the woman who was setting up my dressing room (the same one who asked me if I wanted to work for them the last time I was there) and we were all cheerful.
    I was talking to them up at the register and mentioned casually that I was going to go take the pants to get hemmed afterward, and when they asked me how much I was paying and I said, "$15," the manager said, "Mmmm, you're my first customer of the day. I can give you a free alteration. Go try these on again and we'll pin them and have them ready for you on Wednesday."

Did I just make a successful CHA roll with a shopkeeper?

Even though I dress nicer now, I still must fight my inner teenager from mocking you for being a Banana Republic sheeple.

i might make fun of it too

but for probably the opposite reason as you

I've never been in a banana republic. Even with my weight lost I doubt they have my size. I can wear XL shirts now but they have to have length to them or I get a belly shirt that is too short to even stay tucked in. That's usually called XLT. I've never seen a mall clothing store that isn't a MTM/Suit Store that has extra length shirts.

Well, I guess the more urban clothing stores do, passively, because all their shirts go down to your knees and/or ankles

@ludious

Bro, I am not a cool dresser, trust me. I go to Banana Republic and buy their jeans for 35% off and then feel pumped when I get them hemmed for my stubby little legs for free. I wear a lot of plain colored t-shirts which are a little too athletic fit for my gut and I wear untucked Generic 30something White Guy button up shirts with jeans a lot. The shirts are a little colorful but of course not too bold or attention-getting because yikes. Scary!

I wear different clarks or suede sneakers every single day.

There is very little variation or flair in my attire. No one ever, ever compliments me on the way I dress because I dress so boringly.

So you're still not watching it! You lying Philadelphian
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

I'm not gonna lie, I had to watch that movie through twice to figure out what was going on.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    "you're needed in the cockpit"
    "the cockpit?!?"
    "yes, it's the little room at the front where the pilots sit but we don't have time to go into that now"
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    f2p is a shitty model unless you're league of legends and actually know how to do it

it's a terrible model in like almost every other game, NW has a fucking terrible system near as I can tell

It's fine, it lets me play a game for a few weeks with friends then go back to being a curmudgeonly old person playing FFVI and complaining that the load times are annoying on the PSN version why couldn't they keep it fast like the SNES gol dangit.

@Shivahn speaking of

I probably fell behind you and @Cinders but I'll have a couple hours to play tonight

anyone else level 10ish?
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come

well i asked kosh for movies to watch, this is one of the ones he suggested. so the phrase meant 'the one i picked that i'm going to watch is tinker tailor'
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    "the cockpit?!?"
    "yes, it's the little room at the front where the pilots sit but we don't have time to go into that now"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeI5ke0BENw
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    I'm so stoked about seeing Animal Collective
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

well i asked kosh for movies to watch, this is one of the ones he suggested. so the phrase meant 'the one i picked that i'm going to watch is tinker tailor'

Now that's better.
    SUPPORT YOUR BROTHER
    SUPPORT YOUR BROTHER
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    though it has to be said, just about every part of airplane! with a black person in it is hella racist

Hrmmm. I dunno about that.

It is clearly a product of its time... but like the "talking jive" bit kind of came about organically by the actors who performed it, and racial comedy is wildly different from racism, at least in my opinion.
    meat.jpg
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Oh right

the show last night was amazing. The Black Angels are fantastic live. Both opening bands were great. Best $20 concert ticket ever

in unrelated news, going to work with a hangover is awful
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    chu it's so british

so so british. it's great.
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm OK with F2P as long as it's easy to figure out how much I'll need to pay to unbrick the game. Although I don't really encounter it much; I'm all about single-player. Speaking of single player, I spent a good while in Far Cry 3 driving a jeep with a mounted machine gun, and showing pirates what's what*

*bullets
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    syndalis wrote: »

Hrmmm. I dunno about that.

It is clearly a product of its time... but like the "talking jive" bit kind of came about organically by the actors who performed it, and racial comedy is wildly different from racism, at least in my opinion.

Also the African tribesmen who were automatically amazing at basketball the second he gave them the ball

e: to borrow a phrase from family guy "it's good old fashioned family racism"
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Isn't LOTRO's max level specifically raised by the various expansion packs that have that level range of content? What is the point of being level X if you don't want to buy the part of the game with stuff for level X people to do? What kind of absurd complaint is that?

The parts where you need to pay money for quests or grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks come well before the expansion packs.

And again. If you're at a point where you're out of free content, why be a higher level if you're unwilling to pay for new stuff to do? What on earth is the point?
    That is my complaint. I ran of content and the only way to get new content was to spend the funbucks or else grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks. That content was well before the expansions because LOTRO locks out quest lines unless you pay for them well before the expansions. I wanted a game that was actually FTP instead of a glorified demo.

this strikes me as profoundly unfair to the developers- they've provided you with the same breadth of game as all the other people, except they have even more game for people who support their work. conventionally, complaints are levied against f2p games that allow predation of free players, or some inferior flavor of gameplay due to their refusal to spend funbuxxx. i don't even necessarily buy that 'complaint', but i will concede that it makes sense and i can at least empathize with being frustrated by that model. but if you're given a fun game and told 'to have more fun, to get more of our game, that's the pay part' that seems incredibly reasonable to me.

I have no problem with that if the game is up front about it and admits it is basically a demo rather than an actual freemium game, but LOTRO didn't advertise itself as that.

I'm used to FTP games having the main bulk of the content be free with shit like mounts and convenience items being used to get the money. With LOTRO online, it was pretty much the worst of both worlds with all of that stuff plus a large bulk of the content being cut off.
    Oh right

the show last night was amazing. The Black Angels are fantastic live. Both opening bands were great. Best $20 concert ticket ever

Wasn't that the band from Left 4 Dead 2?
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I just plain don't like microtransactions

Give me the cost of the entire game upfront and I'm more likely to pay for it. Hide the cost of the game with really transparent cash-grabs and I'm not. F2P games are also astronomically more expensive than their paid counterparts if you factor in the costs of using the shop, even reasonably.
    JKKaAGp.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Speaking of crappy f2p models, why are there so many silly premium packs for marvel heroes but none of them really have anything I want.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    "the cockpit?!?"

The Cockpit could be a clever name for a gay bar near an airport.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    the part that made me laugh the most has to be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qse_wf57tZM
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Tav wrote: »
    Oh right

I have no idea

but they had a song in Spec Ops: the Line
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Isn't LOTRO's max level specifically raised by the various expansion packs that have that level range of content? What is the point of being level X if you don't want to buy the part of the game with stuff for level X people to do? What kind of absurd complaint is that?

The parts where you need to pay money for quests or grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks come well before the expansion packs.

And again. If you're at a point where you're out of free content, why be a higher level if you're unwilling to pay for new stuff to do? What on earth is the point?
    That is my complaint. I ran of content and the only way to get new content was to spend the funbucks or else grind for hundreds of hours to get the funbucks. That content was well before the expansions because LOTRO locks out quest lines unless you pay for them well before the expansions. I wanted a game that was actually FTP instead of a glorified demo.

this strikes me as profoundly unfair to the developers- they've provided you with the same breadth of game as all the other people, except they have even more game for people who support their work. conventionally, complaints are levied against f2p games that allow predation of free players, or some inferior flavor of gameplay due to their refusal to spend funbuxxx. i don't even necessarily buy that 'complaint', but i will concede that it makes sense and i can at least empathize with being frustrated by that model. but if you're given a fun game and told 'to have more fun, to get more of our game, that's the pay part' that seems incredibly reasonable to me.

I have no problem with that if the game is up front about it and admits it is basically a demo rather than an actual freemium game, but LOTRO didn't advertise itself as that.

I'm used to FTP games having the main bulk of the content be free with shit like mounts and convenience items being used to get the money. With LOTRO online, it was pretty much the worst of both worlds with all of that stuff plus a large bulk of the content being cut off.

LOTRO gave you something like 5 hub cities and multiple regions worth of content.

Also, you can explore the entire world map (at least until Moria).

It also happens to be the second largest MMO map in the world (outside of eve).

You are pretty much wrong on this issue. LOTRO gets routinely praised for the transition to FTP, they gained a ton of new players, and from that a bunch of people who paid money to keep playing.

you feeling entitled to access to all of that content for free is squarely on you. And Turbine never advertised it that way.
    meat.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    trying to find a cool ref for an idea

found this

I too was a little disturbed by that at first, but if you think about it the reason is obvious, riot police have to deal with stuff like bricks and bottles being thrown at them, stuff a bit of padded armor would really help with. Soldiers are being shot at with bullets and RPG's, we haven't invented armor that is strong enough to protect against those kinds of weapons while being light and flexible enough to be worn by a person. So really the best defence for a solder remains being quick enough to find cover.

The vests a lot of UK police wear are to stop blades, primarily. They won't stop bullets.

On the other hand, it's not unusual for body armour intended to stop bullets to be relatively vulnerable to stabbing implements.
    I just plain don't like microtransactions

Give me the cost of the entire game upfront and I'm more likely to pay for it. Hide the cost of the game with really transparent cash-grabs and I'm not. F2P games are also astronomically more expensive than their paid counterparts if you factor in the costs of using the shop, even reasonably.

LOTRO: Free. 14.99 a month to unlock everything (except expansion packs), plus you get 5 bucks worth of money's to spend on the store every month.

It's a really generous subscription model.
    meat.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Tav wrote: »
    Oh right

I have no idea

but they had a song in Spec Ops: the Line

Band from L4D2 was called Midnight Riders, created for the game. No idea who made the music they played in the game.
    Corehealer on
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    If F2P,wasn't more effective (and thus predative) it wouldn't be as widely used as it is. F2P games are analogous to the drug dealer giving you the first hit for free. The fact they're free to begin has just broadened the market; as well as the wide spread introduction of pocket computers.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I found the memory card for my camera!

Whoo!
    33djngo.jpg

<3 markers & ink
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Time for Doctor Who!! @Casual

DoctorWhoNightmareInSilver.jpg

Neil Gaiman's episode is sure to be a winner. :D

@Ravenhpltc24

i am now consumed with guilt that i wasn't here when you @'d me

i was in a game of monaco because i got it into my head that who was at 6:15 and i'd already missed it

seppuku?

y/n

That'll be tree fiddy.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
This discussion has been closed.