Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure Summer Dale Newell prefers whole bulls. Smoked. (edit: Newell! I meant Newell!)

Contest Challenge!
    Haiku time!
    Give me a haiku about Summer Dale.
    - EXPIRED!

Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Man. I haven't lived onto steam in three days now. Just been super busy with real life stuff. And for once, it's good stuff! New car will be here in three weeks. Not having driven in 4 years will be tricky but I'll take a few lessons and I have a target of traveling on the motorway within a fortnight.

And then the kitties! Soon they will be gone. For now here's a YouTube video of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haLeN6KbqQE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Those cats are fucking adorable.

Just wanna reiterate this because, dawwwwwwww.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Easily the best part of Endless Space is that sexy UI. Well, that and the fact that one of the races is just a bunch of clones of an eccentric bazillionare.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    When I say they'll be gone, whatever actually mean isn't that bad :lol:
    I'm going to make a cat stew.
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Summer Dale Newell prefers whole bulls. Smoked. (edit: Newell! I meant Newell!)

Contest Challenge!
    Haiku time!
    Give me a haiku about Summer Dale.

It's funny - my wife is a teacher, she teaches K-12 in a psych hospital, and I was on a slight rant (that annoyed her) about why do we teach kids poetry and haiku when all it does is make kids write annoying poetry and haiku. I might have made some comments about how poetry in high school helps create things like Taylor Swift as well...

Now I guess I have an answer from many of the contests run here, poetry and haiku are useful because they can help win you games.
    steam_sig.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    So, I have moved through some more games.
    Fallen Enchantress gets a solid... meeeeh from me. I wanted to like it, but it's not very intuitive at all. I have no idea what's going on. I really need to find a decent tutorial somewhere because I had 1 city and 2 outposts in a game by the time the winning AI had all kinds of cities connected by roads and everything. I have no idea.

Endless Space. Definately one I can "one more turn" to. However there is depth to the AI diplomacy I need to investiage. Also ships. I thought I was badass taking over two other civilizations with my 3000 power fleet when the last AI rolls over me with multiple 13000+ power fleets. Yea. Definately not as streamlined as, say, Civ, but definately a fun space game.

XCom. Man, I waited WAY too long for this. I am still in the tutorial, but wow, this game is a really fun game so far! I'm going to enjoy this one I think. I am not the best at these games, but so far I'm doing ok. Haven't got anyone killed yet, only gravely injured.

Do people let their soldiers get killed in XCom? I always feel bad and reload if someone gets killed.
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Fallen Enchantress gets a solid... meeeeh from me. I wanted to like it, but it's not very intuitive at all. I have no idea what's going on. I really need to find a decent tutorial somewhere because I had 1 city and 2 outposts in a game by the time the winning AI had all kinds of cities connected by roads and everything. I have no idea.

Endless Space. Definately one I can "one more turn" to. However there is depth to the AI diplomacy I need to investiage. Also ships. I thought I was badass taking over two other civilizations with my 3000 power fleet when the last AI rolls over me with multiple 13000+ power fleets. Yea. Definately not as streamlined as, say, Civ, but definately a fun space game.

XCom. Man, I waited WAY too long for this. I am still in the tutorial, but wow, this game is a really fun game so far! I'm going to enjoy this one I think. I am not the best at these games, but so far I'm doing ok. Haven't got anyone killed yet, only gravely injured.

Do people let their soldiers get killed in XCom? I always feel bad and reload if someone gets killed.

Some people play on Ironman mode.
    camo_sig2.png
  • DahkathDahkath Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

As someone who is just starting, would the thread collective recommend playing XCOM in Ironman mode right from the start?

I'm not against permadeath, but I'm not sure if the new XCOM is one of those games where you need to figure out the right tech/science before an ironman game becomes more than just frustrating.

Dahkath on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1005-9043-1577
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious about Xcom multiplayer. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone even do it? I don't even know how it works.
    Ed Gruberman on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Guys. GUYS. The Dota 2 International (The huge valve sponsored tournament once a year) is having its Western Qualifiers right now and for the next few days. :D:D:D

You can watch them in-client by installing the Dota 2 game you have in your library. If you are interested in learning it and want to know more feel free to friend me and ask whats up, I'm more than happy to explain stuff. Also! If you are interested in playing and not just watching I have a shitton of Dota 2 invites left!

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

Also you can watch it here http://www.twitch.tv/thegdstudio/popout if you don't want to download/run the client.
    CorriganX on
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    tsmvengy wrote: »

I always play Ironman (I sort of figure most people do) so reloading isn't really an option.

Some of my early games resulted in quite a wall full of casualties. Even with the losses, I would think reloading would feel "wrong" to me. I kind of prefer the sense of feeling like the victory at the end was hard fought and paid for in blood. And there's a certain sense of loss when looking at the memorial wall near the end of a particularly tough game.

I did get through an entire Ironman Classic game once with one only casualty, though. I basically consider that the highlight of my XCOM career.

Contest Challenge!
    Album cover art! Send me a pic of your favorite album cover art (and if it's not obvious, tell me who the [music] artist is). - EXPIRED!
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC YorkRegistered User regular
    Dahkath wrote: »

As someone who is just starting, would the thread collective recommend playing XCOM in Ironman mode right from the start?

I'm not against permadeath, but I'm not sure if the new XCOM is one of those games where you need to figure out the right tech/science before an ironman game becomes more than just frustrating.

I'd say it's more that second one. There's a definite tension in creeping your squad up into hostile territory, knowing that if you mess it up, you can't just reload. But I'd only recommend it if you're already most of the way up the learning curve. If you've not played X-Com before, your meat shields rookies are going to be dying enough to be frustrating anyway,

I'd only really suggest Ironman once you know what you're getting into and what your comfort level is.
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos "You smell...different" Registered User regular
    Do people let their soldiers get killed in XCom?
    All the time, almost every mission.

Iron Man feels like the default mode of playing, it feels right.
    Ab3HW.png
    BW2-FC: 0562-4613-0146
  • minirhyderminirhyder NYCRegistered User regular
    And the copy of NSF goes toooooo @Houn!
    For a story about working at crackmart. At night. Near Crack Park.

Thanks for the entries everyone!

Incidentally, no one wanted Serious Sam.
    Sooo do I make another contest? Do I steam gift it? Do I just throw at the first person I find who has it on their wishlist?
    steam_sig.png
    BF3 Battlelog | Twitter | World of Tanks Profile
    Selling a brand new NZXT Hale82 650W Modular PSU - PM me for details
  • IoloIolo Registered User regular
    I think it's okay not playing ironman mode until they fix the teleporting alien thing.

(If we're being honest, I think it's always okay to play without ironman mode. But don't tell anyone, okay? I don't want them to laugh at my eensy epeen.)
    steam_sig.png

• HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    Woo, thanks @minirhyder!

And unlike the rest of my untouched library, I actually plan on playing this one! Maybe even tonight! With People! Zooom!
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    I've never not played Ironman.

Your first XCOM run should and will be a harsh lesson about death. Use it, learn from it, don't expect to get anywhere near end game. Then, after the world has burned, start again. Eventually you will learn enough to stave off the alien apocalypse.

Then you bump up to Classic.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I make save scumming an art. #noshame
    camo_sig2.png
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Guys. GUYS. The Dota 2 International (The huge valve sponsored tournament once a year) is having its Western Qualifiers right now and for the next few days. :D:D:D

You can watch them in-client by installing the Dota 2 game you have in your library. If you are interested in learning it and want to know more feel free to friend me and ask whats up, I'm more than happy to explain stuff. Also! If you are interested in playing and not just watching I have a shitton of Dota 2 invites left!

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

Also you can watch it here http://www.twitch.tv/thegdstudio/popout if you don't want to download/run the client.

As the only DotA-like game I've ever played is LoL, explain to me why DotA2 is interesting. I'm watching that stream, and the very first thing I'm noting is that the art style makes it very hard to watch; everything is blending together, be it background, creeps, or champs; even at 720p.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    The general penny arcade chat last night made me really want to get in the mood for Skyrim again (and maybe play through the DLC's I paid for but never touched).

But one thing has to happen first.

Does anyone know any good mods on the Steam Workshop?
    steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So I picked up the Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel and I've been using it to play Shift 2 since getting it during last week's sale. It's a strange looking device for sure, and actually much smaller than it seems in that picture (the buttons are only about half the size of the one on a regular 360 controller, so your sense of scale is thrown off).

It connects to the PC without hassle if you have the wireless adapter (you used to be able to buy these separately but I think they're a little pricey now apart from Chinese knockoffs...mine came with my wireless 360 controller for Windows). It came out after Shift 2 was released (I think) and it's not one of the default control configurations the game recognizes so I had to set it up as a "custom wheel." I was zig-zagging all over the place and could barely stay on the track at first, but after a couple hours of practice and a lot of fiddling with the settings I'm really starting to enjoy myself. I have it set with 0% deadzone and 100% steering sensitivity and to be honest I still feel like I have to turn the wheel a little more than I should but I'm getting used to it. My biggest gripe with it is the total lack of anything like the regular 360 controller's bumpers, which means you have to assign gear changes somewhere on the D-pad or ABXY buttons, and also (less importantly) makes navigating menus annoying.

I don't have the patience or the touch I did during my hardcore racing sim days so I have the game set on the "normal" handling model, with stuff like traction control on but with no steering or brake assists. This is a really fun game and I regret not picking it up sooner, it's a great "semi-lite" sim experience with an excellent, diverse selection of cars (especially since the PC version gets all of the DLC for free). It's a big step up from the original NFS Shift just in the sense that the cars are actually drivable out of the box, whereas physics in Shift 1 seemed to be completely fucked and pretty much required a fan patch to make them sensible.

I will say that I could really do without the commentary from Vaughn Gittin et al, though. Drift events are only a small part of the gameplay and apart from the general 'Shut up, I'm driving here bro' annoyance factor it feels really odd to have all of the quotes and stuff come from drift guys. There are plenty of actual legitimate sports car racing series drivers they could have used and you can't make me believe the fees would have been too prohibitive considering sports car/GT racing's relatively nonexistent level of popularity. I'd even rather have the generic British accented voice guy from the first Shift back. Oh well.

Haven't tried the Speed Wheel with any other games yet. Hot Pursuit's arcade-style, drifty handling I don't think would be very well suited, I'll probably stay with a regular gamepad for that. I may reinstall Dirt 3 and see how that feels, though.

Anyway, since I had asked if anybody had any experience with the Wireless Speed Wheel on PC before (even though apparently nobody did since there were no responses), I wanted to make this post to give it my endorsement in case anybody else was curious. It's not a substitute for a full wheel-and-pedals setup of course, but if you don't have the space or patience for that sort of thing the Speed Wheel is a surprisingly fun and useful alternative, especially considering you can pick one up for $20-30.
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

As the only DotA-like game I've ever played is LoL, explain to me why DotA2 is interesting. I'm watching that stream, and the very first thing I'm noting is that the art style makes it very hard to watch; everything is blending together, be it background, creeps, or champs; even at 720p.

Honestly, if you don't understand DOTA or play it I wouldn't watch the stream without someone there to chat with who does. It's just one of those games that doesn't make much sense to a non-player. It's not like Starcraft where 'oh that dude just lost his army' is a fairly easy read on it. In DOTA people can lose towers or die and it can still be a positive over all for their team.

Though if you don't have DOTA, I have roughly a bajjillion copies here to send you.
    The general penny arcade chat last night made me really want to get in the mood for Skyrim again (and maybe play through the DLC's I paid for but never touched).

But one thing has to happen first.

Does anyone know any good mods on the Steam Workshop?

Mods? Right this way!
    alice-in-front-of-rabbit-hole.jpg

Seriously, depends on what you're looking for. SkyUI is pretty crucial, but it requires non-workshop components be installed (Skyrim Script Extender, I think). What kinds of things do you want to add?
    camo_sig2.png

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

Honestly, if you don't understand DOTA or play it I wouldn't watch the stream without someone there to chat with who does. It's just one of those games that doesn't make much sense to a non-player. It's not like Starcraft where 'oh that dude just lost his army' is a fairly easy read on it. In DOTA people can lose towers or die and it can still be a positive over all for their team.

Though if you don't have DOTA, I have roughly a bajjillion copies here to send you.

So... it's like an inaccessable LoL?
    camo_sig2.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    It's accessible

Just not easily so
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

It's an inaccessible LoL.

It is for "teh hardcorez." Sort of.

My main beef with it compared with LoL is the existence of hard counters rather than soft counters, a design decision that I think LoL really got right. (Soft counters mean that while some champs still handily beat other champs if counter-picked, a player with sufficient skill can overcome being counter-picked.)
    I mean, LoL isn't the most accessible, either, but the bright, cartoony styling at least makes it inviting.

Guess I should try playing some with PA types to get a crash course.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

Lets uh... lets side-step this comparison. :P

But LoL has the same problem as an e-sports honestly in that it's really hard to watch as a non-player.

I'll happily give you a crash course though.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    E-sportz

The commentary in LoL I think is better in providing an idea of what the fuck is going on

But not much better

TobiWan is still my favorite caster
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
    When I played through Skyrim, I used an article from PC Gamer as my starting point:

"Best" Skyrim Mods

Really, you can spend more time looking for mods than playing the game. I tried to avoid adding much beyond UI/Graphic tweaks and some convenience mods. I try to stick as close as possible to the general style the developers set forth, so no new armour/weapons/spells/etc. Though, once the first playthrough is complete...look out!
    steam_sig.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist Registered User regular
    What what what??? Who is Night Dive Studios? They've brought back the System Shock 2 IP and yet I know nothing about them? Last I heard EA had the rights to the game and they were refusing to release the game. What happened??

(Needless to say, I'm happy as a pig in shit to see SS2 available again though. It's been too long.)
    steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What what what??? Who is Night Dive Studios? They've brought back the System Shock 2 IP and yet I know nothing about them? Last I heard EA had the rights to the game and they were refusing to release the game. What happened??

(Needless to say, I'm happy as a pig in shit to see SS2 available again though. It's been too long.)

They got the rights to it and teamed up with GoG to get a modern-PC compatible release out. The GoG version came out a couple months ago and it just now made its way to Steam.

And it's awesome. Widescreen support! 1920x1200 resolution! Add a handful of mods to update the textures, models, and some other stuff and bam, you're good to go.
    Stabbity Style on
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

I have DOTA2 in my library?

When the fuck did this happen?
    steam_sig.png
    While I'm thinking of it (and for those like me that don't frequent a lot of forum threads):

The XCOM Thread (which I wish I had more time to stay active on) has a great group of guys/gals. Specifically, @jdarksun put together a list of recruit names for XCOM which use PA Forumers (Many from this very thread). Check it out if you are interested!

It's only superficially linked to Steam, so I hope Geth forgives me. He seems to be watching me a lot lately!
    steam_sig.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Let me know if there's anything you need with that. Toss me an @ or a PM.
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    hum. system shock 2 on steam is letting me down a bit.

I put shup and rebirth and some of the high res packs in my modstemp directory, booted it up, and crashed a few seconds into the game. Removed everything and just put shup/rebirth2 in the directories, made it to the ship, game crashed a few minutes later. (application crash with sshock2).

Will have to try it on my laptop to see if something changes.
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

I have DOTA2 in my library?

When the fuck did this happen?

Last year, its a free client so you can watch any of the free broadcast International games. If you don't have it automatically in your library you can get it from the dota 2 page.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I went ahead and put my handle in that XCOM list.

Though, having a 'The' on my name might make the name a bit awkward.

I may have also gone a bit overboard with the Skyrim Steam Workshop. By... a little bit.

Edit: Oh good, I only installed... 41 mods. Pfft. Nothing bad can come of this.
    The Brayster on
    steam_sig.png

DOTA 2 SO HYPE. Woo.

Lets uh... lets side-step this comparison. :P

But LoL has the same problem as an e-sports honestly in that it's really hard to watch as a non-player.

I'll happily give you a crash course though.

For the record, I'm not trying to start any fights about the "better" game; LoL is just the most familiar reference point for me. Someone recommended watching the stream, so I am. So far, it all seems pretty arbitrary (much like LoL), but with a harder to spectate visual style.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User regular
    signature.png
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.