Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    It seems like there should be a point, when a game has gone on sale so many times that it needs to have a period of not being allowed to be the daily/weekly deal again.

:rotate:
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    It seems like there should be a point, when a game has gone on sale so many times that it needs to have a period of not being allowed to be the daily/weekly deal again.

I read that and knew it'd be Magicka without even having to look. 8->
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    More Dota2 talk:

I just now realized that Nature's Prophet and Furion are the same thing. The casters aren't doing anyone favors using obscure fan lingo.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

There's always the Weekly Deals: http://store.steampowered.com/news/10594/
    Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    More Dota2 talk:

I just now realized that Nature's Prophet and Furion are the same thing. The casters aren't doing anyone favors using obscure fan lingo.

To be fair on them they have had a few years of calling him one thing and he's now called another.

The other one you might wanna look out for is calling Life stealer Naix.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    If the casters took every second of the day to explain everything then they would likely never be able to commentate on the game

People call players in real sports by nicknames all the time

And they can't explain all the mechanics of what's going on, the commentator has to assume you know the framework

You never watch a baseball game, a football game, or any other major sporting event and have the commentators explain the facets

That's horribly unfair to get on them for things like an established name for a character who has been literally around for years and can be quickly googled
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »

There's always the Weekly Deals: http://store.steampowered.com/news/10594/

Yeah I'm debating Anodyne but can't help but think it'll be cheaper when the summer sale comes around.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    If the casters took every second of the day to explain everything then they would likely never be able to commentate on the game

People call players in real sports by nicknames all the time

And they can't explain all the mechanics of what's going on, the commentator has to assume you know the framework

You never watch a baseball game, a football game, or any other major sporting event and have the commentators explain the facets

That's horribly unfair to get on them for things like an established name for a character who has been literally around for years and can be quickly googled

If you want to cast to dedicated long-time fans, feel free to use obscure nicknames. If you want wider accessibility, you could use the name on the screen.

Do note I'm still watching; just pointing out a PR problem.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I wish Venetica would hurry up and go from Greenlit to the store. I want to give them my money so hard. :(

Contest Challenge!

Damn you autocorrect! Send me your funniest personal anecdote involving autocorrect or just a badly-timed typo, or some similar case of foot-in-mouth. - EXPIRED!
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    It's not obscure if the use it frequently and it's readily available to find.

See: David "Big Papi" Ortiz of the Red Sox, Earwin "Magic" Johnson, Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Typically when they're talking about Furion they have him highlighted, or they've made reference to it about ten times in the match so you should be able to pick up on it

And once you do it once you now associate the nickname with the character
    I just got a 75% off for total war Shogun 2 if anyone wants it. I can't see myself using it any time soon as I'm not a fan of the series.
    Samsies, I already own the stuff
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    I just got a 75% off for total war Shogun 2 if anyone wants it. I can't see myself using it any time soon as I'm not a fan of the series.

Me too, if you want the coupon just hit me up because I don't want to expand my backlog any further!
    steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Got one too.

Sucks that it doesn't work on Fall of the Samurai. On the bright side, it doesn't seem to say that it doesn't stack with promotions like that old Serious Sam coupon, so that's nice.
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I just remembered I have an extra copy of Civ 5 lying around so I thought I would offer it to the PA Group members.

signature.png

And if you feel like entertaining me at the same time. I'm a sucker for random facts so PM a fun historical fact. Winner will be chosen at random.
    Not exactly a "factoid", but Napoleon is notable for some of the crazy/endearing/crazy shit he wrote in letters to Josephine:
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/31173/10-lines-napoleons-love-letters-sound-crazy-texts

Just remember this article next time you play France in Civ5.
    camo_sig2.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    The Steam Weekly special price on Hitman Absolution is kind of silly considering it's only 5 bucks over on Amazon (and based on the opinions in the SE++ Steam Thread it's not even worth that).

10 bucks for both Unwritten Tales games seems pretty good though. Yay backlog.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
    Isorn wrote: »
    First up I have to thank @Banzai5150 for System Shock 2. This is genuinely about the only game that can scare the hell out of me and I love it so very much so thanks a lot.

There is a modding guide for SS2 here if you feel like trying to pretty the game up a bit more. Though it is possible the steam version still has some minor issues to work around so read the guide carefully.

Secondly like @APODionysus and @minor incident I very much adore The Longest Journey and I started to play it again so I could finally finish Dreamfall before the third game in the series is released.

However since the game is somewhat old I realize people may have issues with the game (Resolution, Aspect Ratio etc.) and I figure I should post a guide to get the game looking as pretty as possible and maybe save them some headache.
    Before doing anything you should generate the preferences.ini file.
    Go to \Steam\steamapps\common\the longest journey\
    Run configure.exe and change one option. (doesn't matter which) Run it again and change the option back to default.

This should have generated the preferences file in C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\The Longest Journey

Mine looks like this:

[Preferences]
    AudioDevice=autodetect
    SfxVolume=1.000000
    VoiceVolume=1.000000
    MusicVolume=1.000000
    bool_Subtitles=1
    bool_AprilHighRes=1
    bool_ShadowsOn=1
    bool_AllowFastForward=0
    [DirectX]
    GfxDriver=display
    int_BitDepth=32
    bool_IsDoubleBuffer=0
    bool_UseHardware=1
    bool_StartFullscreen=1
    bool_ForceSingleBuffer=1

Note: If you have any issues with graphics you might want to try changing "bool_UseHardware=1" to "bool_UseHardware=0" so the game runs in software mode. However this does mean you can't use Anti-aliasing (AA)

You can if all fails play the game in windowed mode by changing "bool_StartFullscreen=1" to "bool_StartFullscreen=0" but this has the unfortunate effect of producing a 640x480 window in the upper left corner of your screen and it can't really be resized. Playable but tiny.

If you have a monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio you are more or less set and if you have a wide-screen monitor or something you need to mess around a bit to avoid the game looking stretched.

You will have to change the resolution of your monitor while playing for this to work.

Pick a 4:3 resolution (I found it best to pick something that has a similar height to your default resolution. My default resolution is 1920 x 1200 so I used 1600 x 1200 )
    1024 768
    1152 864
    1280 960
    1400 1050
    1600 1200

Go to your graphic card control center and find a GPU scaling option. (No idea where it is located for Nvidia cards but this image shows where it should be for ATI users)

Ccy13s9.png

You should pick the maintain aspect ratio option since the game doesn't seem to want to run fullscreen otherwise. If working correctly you will get nice black borders on the side.

You should also try and see if the game runs right in fullscreen now. (I certainly hope so after all that trouble)

Now since the game is scaled up from its default 640x480 resolution you will get some jaggies so you might want to turn on AA for the game. (this MIGHT mess with some pixel hunting in the game or NPC positions but hopefully it will not.)

Find game.exe in the same folder you found the configure.exe and use your graphic card control center to override the game defaults. Should work more or less the same for Nvidia cards. Use the below options.

kEx3MIh.png

Hopefully if this all worked you will have a fullscreen version of The Longest Journey running and looking smooth as can be with AA turned on. Hope I can at least help a couple people out since I know several people had some trouble getting the game to run fullscreen and whatnot.

Thanks for this Isorn. I'll give it a spin later because TLJ has been one of the games I keep trying to play but always find myself stymied somehow by modern hardware.
    Hydrophobia looks kind of cool and is only 1,24€, is it worth it at that price or is it a turd in disguise?
    steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The Steam Weekly special price on Hitman Absolution is kind of silly considering it's only 5 bucks over on Amazon (and based on the opinions in the SE++ Steam Thread it's not even worth that).

Really? I was seriously considering it. Not even close to Blood Money?
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Anyone play Two Worlds 2 or any of the other titles in http://www.bundlestars.com/ ? Is there any thing in that bundle that I'll be kicking myself later for not adding to my backlog?
    Incindium on
    I really enjoyed Absolution. I finished it in two sittings which says something about the game.

I also dug Hydrophobia. If you have an interest in it there's no reason not to at that price.
    edited May 2013

The first Unwritten Tales game was amazeballs. I loved every silly minute of it. Would recommend it twice as much for twice the price. Wait, what? Anyway, the second one... it was not so hot. I got bored a quarter of the way in, forced myself halfway past that, and gave up and uninstalled it at least a quarter of the way before the ending. (did you follow that?)

So, yeah. Buy it for the first game. Don't bother with the prequelsequelthingy.

EDIT: Hydrophobia was a lot of fun. Right up until the entire game collapsed in a steaming pile of diarrhetic goo in the last 10 minutes with that bugtastic end boss battle.

Also, dammit, I'm trying not to post much because of the contest but...
    Contest Challenge!

Backlog? What backlog? Tell me what game do you feel most guilty for letting languish on your backlog and why? Share the guilt! Lay it on! Make me feel less guilty for my backloggery sins! err... or something. - EXPIRED!
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Hydrophobia looks kind of cool and is only 1,24€, is it worth it at that price or is it a turd in disguise?

It's not great but I enjoyed it enough, honestly it would have been a decent game without the combat

steam_sig.png
    Drovek wrote: »

Really? I was seriously considering it. Not even close to Blood Money?

I believe @Zen Vulgarity has some thoughts on the game.
    PLAY BLOOD MONEY
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about grabbing Hyrophobia just because of the price, but how is Robin Hood? It looks like it might be something I could run on my netbook judging by the requirements.
    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Day 5 of no steam :(

Starting to get old now, body.
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

Dat withdrawal.

• Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular

Does that mean we need to give you more things?
    steam_sig.png
    What's up with Magicka by the way? This is like sale number 12030 in approximately two weeks.
    steam_sig.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    What's up with Magicka by the way? This is like sale number 12030 in approximately two weeks.

And yet my Friend Activity has multiple people buying DLC for it while it's on sale.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Does that mean we need to give you more things?

Hold on loading up Isy's wishlist now
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
    edited May 2013
    @HuntingNoob apparently didn't get the memo that birthdays are for giving away games, not getting them, and sent me Saira for my birthday. You got it backwards! That's not how it's supposed to work! But hey, I'm okay with that because, dammit, I want to play Saira. It's been needling my wishlist since @Drake made me want it.

Thank you! :)

The rest of you: no funny ideas. Stay off that train ride. It ends badly. :P

Also, obligatory post-end:
    Contest Challenge!

Summer Dale me! Send me your favorite 80s music video. Must be an actual 80s release, not 80s-ish. (there's a difference) - RECYCLED! See 4 posts down...
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png

It's an old game that's already sold way past expectations. Basically they keep doing low passes price wise to try and convince the people who haven't brought it yet to take the plunge because then they may buy DLC at full price.

It's an old game that's already sold way past expectations. Basically they keep doing low passes price wise to try and convince the people who haven't brought it yet to take the plunge because then they may buy DLC at full price.

Sounds reasonable, but then there's people like me who'll never buy Magicka and who are pretty sad about a missed chance for a cool sale.
    steam_sig.png

Sounds reasonable, but then there's people like me who'll never buy Magicka and who are pretty sad about a missed chance for a cool sale.

If I had money right now I would track your Steam account down and force you to possess mage suicide simulator.

D:

Seriously man :P
    edited May 2013

If I had money right now I would track your Steam account down and force you to possess mage suicide simulator.

D:

Seriously man :P

Too late. :P

Aww, shit. Now I need another challenge. No, there needs to be more 80s cool. I'm continuing the last one:
    Contest Challenge!

Summer Dale me! Send me your favorite 80s music video. Must be an actual 80s release, not 80s-ish. (there's a difference) - EXPIRED!
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.