Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    I can't not buy Magicka DLC on sale. I don't even play it much anymore. Yet I still buy it and occasionally play.

Also here is a heads up for an awesome ARPG that is getting a week long deal. Din' Curse is 50% off. No deal on the Demon War DLC but that's no surprise, it never goes on sale, and half off on the game itself is the best deal I can remember ever seeing for the game. That said, it's totally worth ten bucks for the whole shebang. This game has too much awesome stuff to cover in a mere forum post. Let's just say that one of the last towns I saved not only had a pit of demons beneath it, but demon worshippers were in place in some of the towns highest levels of authority, doing things like poisoning the water supply, murdering people and even building gates for demonic invasions of the town itself. And the town wasn't saved until I uncovered each and every one of them, hunted them down and killed them. If you want an ARPG with a living world that doesn't wait for you to trigger the next scripted sequence of events then this is a game you should play. Also, that story I told wouldn't have happened without the Demon War DLC. It's not really a DLC in the usual sense but a complete expansion pack for the game. It's worth the five bucks.
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Anyone play Awesomenauts and have Clunk's Creeper skin? The only way to get it is apparently to kill someone that's using the skin, and I really like Clunk.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks License Number 137596Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Not exactly a "factoid", but Napoleon is notable for some of the crazy/endearing/crazy shit he wrote in letters to Josephine:
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/31173/10-lines-napoleons-love-letters-sound-crazy-texts

Just remember this article next time you play France in Civ5.

Everything I know about writing love letters I learned from Napoleon and James Joyce.
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Hmmm, my great birthday giveaway may have hit a snag in the form of my wallet. So it may be less "great" and more "somewhat decent".

We'll see.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Anyone play Awesomenauts and have Clunk's Creeper skin? The only way to get it is apparently to kill someone that's using the skin, and I really like Clunk.

Is this game popular? None of my friends are ever playing it, but I've enjoyed what I've played.

steam_sig.png
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    Just bought the Magicka DLC I didn't have, since I'm actually playing it this week and why not.
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Hydrophobia looks kind of cool
    I'm thinking about grabbing Hyrophobia

I have one copy that I bought on sale forever ago. The liquid physics are supposed to be cool, but my rig is barely above water on the minimum specs (hiyoooo!) so I never added it to my library.

I flipped a quarter and Lindsey won.

Thanks! At a third grade art show and chorus concert now but I'll accept it at some point this evening.
    steam_sig.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Seriously, depends on what you're looking for. SkyUI is pretty crucial, but it requires non-workshop components be installed (Skyrim Script Extender, I think). What kinds of things do you want to add?

And that, to me, is the deal breaker. Maybe an odd place to draw the line, but whatever. *shrug*
    (Technically, SkyUI doesn't require it... but it nags you constantly if you don't have it, and I get enough of that from 'free' utility software.)
    steam_sig.png
    Steam: Megajoule
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Luchaire wrote: »

Wait, I might be misunderstanding you. But you're not going to use SkyUI because it needs SKSE, which is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread, and absolutely essential if you're at all serious about modding your game? If you're worried about SKSE breaking anything or whatever, you should know that it has a solid pedigree going back a number of years and is fabulously safe and stable. In earlier lifetimes, it made it possible to do "impossible" things in Oblivion (OBSE) and Fallout 3 (FOSE), and I believe it's related to the Morrowind script extender as well (MWSE). These guys know what they're doing.

If I misunderstood your post, just ignore me and carry on. :)

Contest Challenge!

Screenshots! Send me your best/favorite game screenshot. Provide context. If the shot shows you screwing up, getting asploded, being decapitated, or being eaten by a dinosaur, that's just gravy. :D
    I think it's because it's not on the workshop.

Also, argh. I've got a perfect screenshot for that, but I already OWN dishonored.

heenato on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Seriously, depends on what you're looking for. SkyUI is pretty crucial, but it requires non-workshop components be installed (Skyrim Script Extender, I think). What kinds of things do you want to add?

And that, to me, is the deal breaker. Maybe an odd place to draw the line, but whatever. *shrug*
    (Technically, SkyUI doesn't require it... but it nags you constantly if you don't have it, and I get enough of that from 'free' utility software.)

Wait, I might be misunderstanding you. But you're not going to use SkyUI because it needs SKSE, which is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread, and absolutely essential if you're at all serious about modding your game? If you're worried about SKSE breaking anything or whatever, you should know that it has a solid pedigree going back a number of years and is fabulously safe and stable. In earlier lifetimes, it made it possible to do "impossible" things in Oblivion (OBSE) and Fallout 3 (FOSE), and I believe it's related to the Morrowind script extender as well (MWSE). These guys know what they're doing.

If I misunderstood your post, just ignore me and carry on. :)

Contest Challenge!

Screenshots! Send me your best/favorite game screenshot. Provide context. If the shot shows you screwing up, getting asploded, being decapitated, or being eaten by a dinosaur, that's just gravy. :D

Does it have to be a screenshot of a game of OURS? Or can I repurpose those Jurassic Park/child eating photos.
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    It's not the Starving that'll get you.

I've just started playing it myself. I have no idea what is going on and I think that's kinda the point.

You were right. I decided attacking a spider nest was a good idea.
    Died on a full stomach!
    camo_sig.png
    WiiU - vamenn (MONSTER HUNTER!!!)
    XBL - dachishbudoka
    PS3 - dachish
    "Woe be to him that defies the tree"
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Praise @Satanic Jesus for the Magicka Grimnir's Lab DLC!
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, if anyone on your team even gets a mild scrape, every rookie on your team will lose their fucking shit
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Bought XCOM super cheap

alien drops from the sky in the middle of my squad
    everyone has a 70%+ chance to hit
    all 4 miss
    alien shoots 1 guy in cover, crits
    guy panics, shoots teammate
    teammate panics, kills other teammate
    4th teammate panics

cool game

I still love the story someone on here told a few years ago about the original X-COM. The mission began, the hatch to his landing craft opens, enemy grenade immediately gets hurled inside, and everyone dies. Mission over!

And that's Xcom baby.
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Registered User regular
    Took a week off for my birthday...recommend me some cheap steam guys. I have a mediocre gaming laptop so nothing to much on the graphics intense side.
    We are not low.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Any adventure game.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Took a week off for my birthday...recommend me some cheap steam guys. I have a mediocre gaming laptop so nothing to much on the graphics intense side.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Wadjet Eye Games
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Sword of the stars: The Pit

It's like if you said the FTL RNG was to forgiving.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233700
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/219740
    iRevert on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Bought XCOM super cheap

alien drops from the sky in the middle of my squad
    everyone has a 70%+ chance to hit
    all 4 miss
    alien shoots 1 guy in cover, crits
    guy panics, shoots teammate
    teammate panics, kills other teammate
    4th teammate panics

cool game

I still love the story someone on here told a few years ago about the original X-COM. The mission began, the hatch to his landing craft opens, enemy grenade immediately gets hurled inside, and everyone dies. Mission over!

And that's Xcom baby.

You haven't lived until a blaster bomb gets shot into the Skyranger's squad bay on the first turn.

I'm really enjoying the new Xcom a lot too, even though I had it totally bug out on me in a moment where I was about to be completely awesome. It's also making me want to play the original again. Even though how I know that will go in the end.
    It ends badly, in case you were wondering.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So Rocksmith!

Anywho - I'm getting the bug to learn how to play guitar again. I've tried about 3 times over the course of 20 or so years. This time I'm just going to get a relatively inexpensive guitar and play around on Rocksmith along side my chords/scales/tabs/etc I've amassed over the years. My question to you, my hard rockin amigos, as I know there is a handful of you in this thread, is...What is a not shit guitar to pick up for the cheap that stays in tune, the neck isn't crap, the tuners won't spin freely, the frets don't buzz, the body isn't totally plywood and lastly the pickups are decent. I'm trying to avoid the Fender Squire made in China line, but not wanting to drop tooooo much more than $200 or so. I was looking at the Ibanez G10 line at $189 but once again don't want to fight the guitar to learn how to play it.

Thoughts?
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: ObsoletePaper
    PA Steam Coupon List
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    So Rocksmith!

Anywho - I'm getting the bug to learn how to play guitar again. I've tried about 3 times over the course of 20 or so years. This time I'm just going to get a relatively inexpensive guitar and play around on Rocksmith along side my chords/scales/tabs/etc I've amassed over the years. My question to you, my hard rockin amigos, as I know there is a handful of you in this thread, is...What is a not shit guitar to pick up for the cheap that stays in tune, the neck isn't crap, the tuners won't spin freely, the frets don't buzz, the body isn't totally plywood and lastly the pickups are decent. I'm trying to avoid the Fender Squire made in China line, but not wanting to drop tooooo much more than $200 or so. I was looking at the Ibanez G10 line at $189 but once again don't want to fight the guitar to learn how to play it.

Thoughts?

Remember zzounds is your friend.
    steam_sig.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Long have I been absent from the Stream Thread. Mostly because I have no money.

But I need to spend now, for Dark Souls has been a constant absorber of my time and despite my backlogs' length, nothing sounds good enough to tear me away from Dark Souls. The solution here is to buy something new, play that, THEN move on to my backlog with Dark Souls out of mind. I've narrowed it to two options, and will turn to you, People of the Steam Thread, to guide my decision.

Fez or La Mulana.

Guide me, my brethern
    The Post 2012 Summer Sale Backlog Progress
    Games Finished: 34 Games Added: 15 Total Progress: +19

steam_sig.png
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    @Spoit decided that the hundreds of hours of backlog I already have wasn't enough and decided to send me another 100+! Holy crap man thanks. This classy fellow sent me the entire Geneforge saga, 5 rpgs to play. This is gonna be a fun summer. :D
    steam_sig.png
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror Riot Nrrd Registered User regular

But I need to spend now, for Dark Souls has been a constant absorber of my time and despite my backlogs' length, nothing sounds good enough to tear me away from Dark Souls. The solution here is to buy something new, play that, THEN move on to my backlog with Dark Souls out of mind. I've narrowed it to two options, and will turn to you, People of the Steam Thread, to guide my decision.

Fez or La Mulana.

Guide me, my brethern

I hear Fez is really, really buggy.

OTOH, Player Uno really likes La Mulana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3e-cFwbEXg
    camo_sig2.png
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    Another huge thank you to @minirhyder for NFS: Most Wanted. Been playing with the wife all night, passing the controller like in the Good Ol' Days. Freemode is amazing, btw.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    So Rocksmith!

Thoughts?

I picked up a Peavey Rockmaster off some deal site for $50 last year. I had intended to use it with Rocksmith, but I haven't gotten a chance yet. Just tooling around with it though it's great. I've got quite a few musician friends with real expensive gear, and they've played around on it, they all agreed it was a pretty decent starter guitar. Sturdy build, built in tuner, comes with a little amp. I've seen it go on sale a few other times, so I'd recommend it if you can find it cheap. You won't melt faces, but it's a good way to start. Damn shame Fender Squires aren't what they used to be, I've got a few buddies that still have their older ones going strong.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Luchaire:
    My detailed response is not germane to this thread, so I'll do it on the Elder Scrolls thread.
    Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    I have two 75% coupons for Total War Shogun 2 if anyone is interested. Just send me a message and I will send you the coupon.
    steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Shitwizards CUNTINGFUCKSHITASSRegistered User regular

Fez or La Mulana.

Guide me, my brethern

I hear Fez is really, really buggy.

OTOH, Player Uno really likes La Mulana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3e-cFwbEXg

Some anecdotal evidence, but I have encountered no bugs playing Fez.

I will say that Fez and La Mulana are both really great games and I am no help in deciding which one you ought to get (unless you want to get both, because you totally should)
    VMkxq9E.png
    For posterity, the current title:
    [STEAM] | [STEAM] | [STEAM] | [industry thread] lol jk it's [STEAM]

("But what if I don't like Spam?")
    steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Is there a watch_dogs thread? I want to talk about the new video
    camo_sig2.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.