Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh goddammit. Someone else who didn't get the birthdays-are-for-giveaways memo. Seriously, who's in charge of information dissemination around here? You're slacking and should be seriously reprimanded.

Thanks to @cooljammer00 for Don't Starve. Gruesome death simulators rate high on my approval scale.

Also, fuck you for making me have to think up another challenge so soon after the last one. :P

@Zen Vulgarity - Click here for the candle explanation. It's a giveaway where somebody gets dishonored!

Contest Challenge!
    Now what? My idea box is running empty. Hm.

Send me a funny birthday picture. Kid faceplanted in a cake? Good. Cat leaped onto table into cake? Better! Go find something hilarious and PM it to me!
    - EXPIRED!
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    So Rocksmith!

Anywho - I'm getting the bug to learn how to play guitar again. I've tried about 3 times over the course of 20 or so years. This time I'm just going to get a relatively inexpensive guitar and play around on Rocksmith along side my chords/scales/tabs/etc I've amassed over the years. My question to you, my hard rockin amigos, as I know there is a handful of you in this thread, is...What is a not shit guitar to pick up for the cheap that stays in tune, the neck isn't crap, the tuners won't spin freely, the frets don't buzz, the body isn't totally plywood and lastly the pickups are decent. I'm trying to avoid the Fender Squire made in China line, but not wanting to drop tooooo much more than $200 or so. I was looking at the Ibanez G10 line at $189 but once again don't want to fight the guitar to learn how to play it.

Thoughts?

Don't buy new... Go to a local guitar or pawn shop and just go through all the guitars that catch your fancy. If you like one don't buy it immediately, find the model number and do some research to make sure it's priced reasonably and don't be afraid to haggle with the shop owner to knock down the price.

I'd also note that, years back, when I wanted to learn to play guitar, I picked up one of those cheapo Squire Strat Guitar + Amp packs. While I never made much headway in learning to play it and it spends most of it's time in the closet, when I do bust it out, it's very rare that it needs any tuning. It's not fancy, but it's functional as all hell.

Those can be hit and miss from what I know (although I have heard some of those older Squire Stats packs were pretty decent). I just recommend playing a guitar before buying it in general.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    Oh okay I just wanted to write something
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Dammit, @cooljammer00, you made me miss that other candle by like 15 minutes. I already missed out on catch'n em all, but you're further ruining my candledex completion rate! :P
    steam_sig.png
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I'm not going to live that down. (Summer Dale).

Anyway is the pinball game on offer or something?
    Edit : ah its free and the dlc is where they make the money. Clever.

No, no, no. You're obviously not keeping up with the latest internet fury. You're supposed to hate-rage on Zen because the game isn't free at all...you can't download anything or demo the tables unless you buy something.

I think.

I dunno...as soon as I saw that it was possible to do so, I clicked "BUY." Then I plugged in my X-Arcade Tankstick, and set my kids loose on it. Apparently (smart) kids love pinball.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    Can I give my candle to someone else
    AnakinOU wrote: »

No, no, no. You're obviously not keeping up with the latest internet fury. You're supposed to hate-rage on Zen because the game isn't free at all...you can't download anything or demo the tables unless you buy something.

I think.

I dunno...as soon as I saw that it was possible to do so, I clicked "BUY." Then I plugged in my X-Arcade Tankstick, and set my kids loose on it. Apparently (smart) kids love pinball.

You can demo the tables. Pretty sure you just double click and there's an option to demo.
    steam_sig.png

Don't give it to just anyone. They'll just break your heart. Save it until you find that someone special who deserves your stick of wax.
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    All this guitar talk has badly renewed my desire to pick up a guitar and tool around. I thought the Steam thread would be safe, but no. You guys are killing me.

Also, I have that pinball game on my 360. I love their tables, they do such a great job.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Oh goddammit. Someone else who didn't get the birthdays-are-for-giveaways memo. Seriously, who's in charge of information dissemination around here? You're slacking and should be seriously reprimanded.

Thanks to @cooljammer00 for Don't Starve. Gruesome death simulators rate high on my approval scale.

Also, fuck you for making me have to think up another challenge so soon after the last one. :P

@Zen Vulgarity - Click here for the candle explanation. It's a giveaway where somebody gets dishonored!

Contest Challenge!
    Now what? My idea box is running empty. Hm.

Send me a funny birthday picture. Kid faceplanted in a cake? Good. Cat leaped onto table into cake? Better! Go find something hilarious and PM it to me!

Hey, you're the arbiter of this contest. You can decide it is now over and post freely. :-)
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So Rocksmith!

Anywho - I'm getting the bug to learn how to play guitar again. I've tried about 3 times over the course of 20 or so years. This time I'm just going to get a relatively inexpensive guitar and play around on Rocksmith along side my chords/scales/tabs/etc I've amassed over the years. My question to you, my hard rockin amigos, as I know there is a handful of you in this thread, is...What is a not shit guitar to pick up for the cheap that stays in tune, the neck isn't crap, the tuners won't spin freely, the frets don't buzz, the body isn't totally plywood and lastly the pickups are decent. I'm trying to avoid the Fender Squire made in China line, but not wanting to drop tooooo much more than $200 or so. I was looking at the Ibanez G10 line at $189 but once again don't want to fight the guitar to learn how to play it.

Thoughts?

Don't buy new... Go to a local guitar or pawn shop and just go through all the guitars that catch your fancy. If you like one don't buy it immediately, find the model number and do some research to make sure it's priced reasonably and don't be afraid to haggle with the shop owner to knock down the price.

I'd also note that, years back, when I wanted to learn to play guitar, I picked up one of those cheapo Squire Strat Guitar + Amp packs. While I never made much headway in learning to play it and it spends most of it's time in the closet, when I do bust it out, it's very rare that it needs any tuning. It's not fancy, but it's functional as all hell.

Those can be hit and miss from what I know (although I have heard some of those older Squire Stats packs were pretty decent). I just recommend playing a guitar before buying it in general.

I'm always confused by this advice to people wanting to learn guitar (not specifically to you here). For one, they can't play it. And B, even if they knew a chord or 2, they're not going to know enough to say "yep, this is good" or "yep, piece of crap".
    camo_sig2.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Loving the thread title @tychocelchuuu c <3
    Some mod doesn't agree with you :(
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    When is summer Dale

Summer Dale is beyond time and space...

Summer Dale
    Makes me feel fine
    Adding to the backlog in my mind~~
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    All this guitar talk has badly renewed my desire to pick up a guitar and tool around. I thought the Steam thread would be safe, but no. You guys are killing me.

Also, I have that pinball game on my 360. I love their tables, they do such a great job.

You think you've got it bad? I just realized my favorite track off the new Daft Punk album has a riff that is highly reminiscent of the one from "Layla" and now it's all I want to listen to.
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    AnakinOU wrote: »

I think.

You can demo the tables. Pretty sure you just double click and there's an option to demo.

I missed that when I first launched it but yeah it's there and gives a 5 minute (I think) demo for each table

they handled the launch pretty badly as it was labelled as free to play when really it is a free platform with timed demos, that said the Steam forum certainly lived up to it's usual self with all the hate spewing

I think they've missed a great opportunity to sell lots of tables by not putting in a free table, there are lots of people out there that don't even know they like pinball yet
    steam_sig.png
    Yeah, not putting in a basic free table was sort of dumb. Definitely cost them more money than they'd have lost by giving away a free table.
    steam_sig.png
    So Rocksmith!

Thoughts?

I'm always confused by this advice to people wanting to learn guitar (not specifically to you here). For one, they can't play it. And B, even if they knew a chord or 2, they're not going to know enough to say "yep, this is good" or "yep, piece of crap".

You may not know how to play more than a power chord or a couple notes but inevitably you be drawn to one over another. Even if you pick a crappy one its one you picked. Plus the more you are around guitars the better feel you'll have for them and their personality's.

Don't give it to just anyone. They'll just break your heart. Save it until you find that someone special who deserves your stick of wax.

Well I already own and have beaten Dishonored

I just wanted to write a haiku
    Damn all this talking about guitars makes me want to go an buy another one so I can own it and not play it... Just like my Steam games.
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    So Rocksmith!

Thoughts?

Bring a more musically inclined friend along if you're not sure. Musicians get a kick out of more people being involved in something they like, and they'll usually be pretty happy to help. If you do end up going the haggle route, it'll really help your argument to have someone who can play the instrument and make a better judgement on it.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Loving the thread title @tychocelchuuu c <3
    Some mod doesn't agree with you :(

Has your thread title privilege been revoked once again?
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular

Haiku(s?) are the best!
    Especially impromptu.
    Err... serve the Newell!
    Bassig.pngSteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, that's what I really need. I need to somehow trick the steam thread into gifting me a guitar.

Newell can do that, right?
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular

I did the same thing - I wrote a haiku, got a candle, then went back and read it was for dishonored and returned my candle. I figured there was someone else who wanted it more than I did and I've been given far more than I deserve in this thread.
    steam_sig.png
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

We'll probably forget about it when we get closer to Year Odd: The snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJJ_HJ-9JNM

Contest Challenge!
    Ummmmmm.... Yeah. I am unprepared.

Ooh, I know.

Ashley or Kaiden on Virmire? And why? - EXPIRED! Because cardboard delusions.

Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Hydrophobia looks kind of cool and is only 1,24€, is it worth it at that price or is it a turd in disguise?

It's not great but I enjoyed it enough, honestly it would have been a decent game without the combat

Did you get the later version of the game? I heard the original release had serious combat problems but didnt they re-release it with a bunch of changes?
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    I've never heard of La-Mulana.
    "Nigoro’s La-Mulana is like Castlevania: Symphony of The Night spliced with Dark Souls. It is long, it is tough, it is involved and it has puzzles that’ll make your brain bleed."
    93/100 – Indie Game Mag

...and now I want it.
    edited May 2013
    Now I want it too

To the wishlist you go
    Zen Vulgarity on
    So Metro First Light released today. Any first impressions?
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    rikdaly wrote: »
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Hydrophobia looks kind of cool and is only 1,24€, is it worth it at that price or is it a turd in disguise?

It's not great but I enjoyed it enough, honestly it would have been a decent game without the combat

Did you get the later version of the game? I heard the original release had serious combat problems but didnt they re-release it with a bunch of changes?

I think so, I bought it on Steam so I'm sure it's the later version
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    So Metro First Light released today. Any first impressions?

Still haven't played the first one (even though I own it). 83 on Metacritic so far though. I think the consensus that I've heard from people is that the game is awesome and atmospheric, but it still has some bugs.

Ben from the PA Repore` has his first looks review up: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/metro-last-light
    KoopahTroopah on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So a couple of 75% off coupons appeared in my inventory for Shogun 2: Total War. Anyone want? PM if you'd like one.

Preferably forum regulars.

EDIT: Oh, and the coupon doesn't say how long it's valid for, looks like a weird HTML bug (displaying a random number inbetween two [date] tags).
    subedii on
    I think I get paid tomorrow. Anyone wanna team up with me and clear out Isy's wishlist?
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Fez's launch issues have ironed themselves out yet? I really, really want to grab a copy but I remember reading there were some saved games getting lost?
    steam_sig.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    "Nigoro’s La-Mulana is like Castlevania: Symphony of The Night spliced with Dark Souls. It is long, it is tough, it is involved and it has puzzles that’ll make your brain bleed."
    93/100 – Indie Game Mag

...and now I want it.

Arent you confusing that game with Guacameele ?

93/100 – Indie Game Mag

...and now I want it.

Guacamelee is only on PS3, isn't it?
    steam_sig.png
    93/100 – Indie Game Mag

...and now I want it.

Guacamelee is only on PS3, isn't it?

Well, and the Vita. I myself own neither, so Guacamelee is a game that I can't partake in.
This discussion has been closed.