Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Curse you drake! I was doing so well not buying anything remotely gaming related.

<3
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The thing is, he wasn't making fun of it. He was genuinely asking, it was immense.

Commas.

"It's a bizarre Yank thing. You know those colonies. Piff poff piff poff. Brumblestacks and bollocks, where's my monocle!"

This is exactly how I talk.

Oh hey, I just noticed the new Ace Combat is part of the midweek sale. How's the port on that?

I didn't even realize that thing had come out for the PC. :?

Isn't this the one where they tried to be more "gritty" "intense" and sort of make CoD in the air with a storyline set in the real world? And the planes even basically have iron sights when using your gun (which is completely ridiculous)?

I'd be way more interested if it was in the "traditional" Ace Combat mold of somewhat overwrought sky opera with made-up countries and crazy superweapon bosses.
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    So I didn't realize there were two PA groups on Steam. I'm a member of "Penny Arcade", but not "PA G&T Adventure Team". Are there like different factions or something? Where one gets all the cool races but the other has all the required passives?

I.E. could I get an invite to PA G&T Adventure Team? <3
  • SteevLSteevL Registered User regular
    Oh, how nice it is to finally be able to delete that Steam Community Beta gift that's been sitting in my inventory for the last year or so. Just need to get rid of the Airmech one and I'll be all set.
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks to @luchaire for the copy of Terraria. In doing so, my Steam-related white whale has been defeated. There will be revenge upon a future payday - oh yes, there will be revenge.
    steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    So I didn't realize there were two PA groups on Steam. I'm a member of "Penny Arcade", but not "PA G&T Adventure Team". Are there like different factions or something? Where one gets all the cool races but the other has all the required passives?

I.E. could I get an invite to PA G&T Adventure Team? <3

Adventure Team was/is a group to organize multiplayer for games not popular or current enough to have their own group or thread. It also took on the secondary purpose of being a somewhat more exclusive group to use for Steamgifts giveaways, since it's invite-only and the main PA Steam group was infiltrated by some freeloaders.

If someone hasn't given you an invite in the time it takes me to sign on to Steam at work I'll do it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Off I go to look at guitars again today... this time a local music shop. I sense a copy of Rocksmith in my near future too.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: ObsoletePaper
    PA Steam Coupon List
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I have a 25% off Dungeon Hearts coupon if anyone wants it.
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    I give up. I'm not sure what part of "you don't need to give me things for my birthday" you guys don't get. But rest assured, I'm taking notes. Revenge is a dish best served cold, they say. Not being a fan of very many cold dishes, I can't really say if that's true. Nonetheless, there will be retribution. Not today, perhaps. But sooner or later... you have to sleep sometime.

Thanks to @Banzai5150 for Renegade Ops, which looks like a crazy amount of asploding mayhem. Blowing shit up never gets old. :)

Also, I'm ending the Dishonored contest now. I'll be doing a candle tally shortly and submitting the whole mess into the hands of the RNG gods. And then we watch somebody get Dishonored! Bring popcorn!

I think that's why Revenge is best served cold, because the recipient wouldn't like cold dishes.

Except gazpacho soup. Don't ever order gazpacho soup hot.
    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan)
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    You mean I gotta drink this coffee hot?
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I'm left handed and picked up a guitar and Rocksmith a while ago. I kind of wish I had picked up a right handed guitar and just powered through it though, just because learning left means I'll never be able to just pick up someone else's guitar and play, which is kind of a bummer.
    steam_sig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I totally put, a haiku in my profile, Limericks won't fit.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I give up. I'm not sure what part of "you don't need to give me things for my birthday" you guys don't get. But rest assured, I'm taking notes. Revenge is a dish best served cold, they say. Not being a fan of very many cold dishes, I can't really say if that's true. Nonetheless, there will be retribution. Not today, perhaps. But sooner or later... you have to sleep sometime.

Thanks to @Banzai5150 for Renegade Ops, which looks like a crazy amount of asploding mayhem. Blowing shit up never gets old. :)

Also, I'm ending the Dishonored contest now. I'll be doing a candle tally shortly and submitting the whole mess into the hands of the RNG gods. And then we watch somebody get Dishonored! Bring popcorn!

I think that's why Revenge is best served cold, because the recipient wouldn't like cold dishes.

Except gazpacho soup. Don't ever order gazpacho soup hot.

And never install drive plates incorrectly.
    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    PAX 2013 STATUS - Badges: PURCHASED Hotel: RESERVED Vacation: Awaiting approval Plane Tickets: Waiting on vacation approval.
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Evil Snake Cult Leader Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The thing is, he wasn't making fun of it. He was genuinely asking, it was immense.

Commas.

"It's a bizarre Yank thing. You know those colonies. Piff poff piff poff. Brumblestacks and bollocks, where's my monocle!"

Oh hey, I just noticed the new Ace Combat is part of the midweek sale. How's the port on that?

Isn't this the one where they tried to be more "gritty" "intense" and sort of make CoD in the air with a storyline set in the real world? And the planes even basically have iron sights when using your gun (which is completely ridiculous)?

I'd be way more interested if it was in the "traditional" Ace Combat mold of somewhat overwrought sky opera with made-up countries and crazy superweapon bosses.

I actually quite enjoyed it when I went through it at launch on the 360, dog fight mode was a bit weird but not the awful inclusion that some people claimed and I mostly ignored it just like I did the weird stuff in H.A.W.X so it was whatever.
    Don't remember any iron sight equivalent for the guns, but it's been a long time since I played it.

I agree with you that it would be instantly more appealing if it were a traditional AC game. They're just the right level of anime ridiculous for me and I've always loved them, however if the port is fine on this one I would say it's worth a go at £7.50. Heck at that price I'm considering grabbing it again since I enjoyed it plenty first time out.
    Mind you I'm very forgiving of things that I can play co-op so my opinion should never be trusted.
    Dyvim Tvar on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I'm left handed and picked up a guitar and Rocksmith a while ago. I kind of wish I had picked up a right handed guitar and just powered through it though, just because learning left means I'll never be able to just pick up someone else's guitar and play, which is kind of a bummer.

Interesting fact!

Originally right-handers played the guitar the way we know as right-handed because generally the more intricate part of the song was the picking, so the dominant hand was used for that. With modern music (some examples notwithstanding), the more intricate parts tend to be done with the fingering hand :winky: , so left-handers that play right-handed (like myself) can sometimes have a slight advantage.
    Sir Carcass on
    camo_sig2.png

Commas.

I actually quite enjoyed it when I went through it at launch on the 360, dog fight mode was a bit weird but not the awful inclusion that some people claimed and I mostly ignored it just like I did the weird stuff in H.A.W.X so it was whatever.
    Don't remember any iron sight equivalent for the guns, but it's been a long time since I played it.

Watching the trailers, I'm referring to the thing where you jump from cockpit view to a right-behind-your-plane camera so that your own plane gets in the way when you're aiming.

But yeah, it doesn't look as terrible as HAWX's patented camera fuckery.
    steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I have 23 Dota 2 invites.

I will pay Gabe Newell 10 bucks to stop giving me Dota 2 invites.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Off I go to look at guitars again today... this time a local music shop. I sense a copy of Rocksmith in my near future too.

@Bamzai5150 report back, I'm now contemplating the same thing.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

Interesting fact!

Originally right-handers played the guitar the way we know as right-handed because generally the more intricate part of the song was the picking, so the dominant hand was used for that. With modern music (some examples notwithstanding), the more intricate parts tend to be done with the fingering hand :winky: , so left-handers that play right-handed (like myself) can sometimes have a slight advantage.

Unfortunately getting rid of a left handed guitar is kind of a bitch, so I'm stuck wit a left-handed Strat. :P
    steam_sig.png
    Apologies to everyone in chat I was.... chatting to. Internet done fucked up and I can't be arsed to fix it so I'm going to bed. Sorry!
    camo_sig2.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Deleting a Dota 2 invite pings the servers to send you five more Dota 2 invites.

He must have deleted that by mistake, better send him some more.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Rocksmith works well as an instructor and is a lot of fun but there are some things that seem like weird design choices. Admittedly, I have it for PS3 but I find the menus very confusing. And the riff repeater - which sounds like a great idea - is weird because it seems like as soon as you nail the riff once, it says "Congratulations!" and then stops the repeating. There are some great songs, though, and they also include drills to practice specific techniques (string bending, hammer-ons, etc.).

All this to say I really like it and keep meaning to get back into it. Especially now that I have put Dark Souls to rest.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks License Number 137596Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I have 23 Dota 2 invites.

I will pay Gabe Newell 10 bucks to stop giving me Dota 2 invites.

If you give me seven bucks I will take them all.
  • KrummithKrummith Registered User regular
    Groupees has a new Be Mine Bundle

Get it at: http://groupees.com/bm8

Games for 1$:
    Patrician IV - Steam Special Edition [Steam]
    Slam Bolt Scrappers [Steam]
    Fairy Bloom Freesia [Steam] [Desura] [DRM-Free]
    Paranautical Activity [Desura] [DRM-Free] [Greenlight]

Games for 5$:
    Blood Bowl® - Legendary Edition [Steam]
    Constant C [Desura] [DRM-Free] [Greenlight]
    Drakensang [Steam]
    Mystery Game [Unlocks soon]
    Mystery Game [Unlocks in the Second Week!]

I know there has been some love for Fairy Bloom Freesia in the thread, and Patrician is a well known strategy game. The others, I'm not familiar with.
    steam_sig.png
    I'm always looking for new steam friends!
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Curious question, do any PA bros play Forge? I won it a while back but now when I'm playing none of the servers seem to have people in them.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So, funny enough

If you're interested in Blood Bowl

Buy the Legendary Edition in that bundle for $5, owning Legendary Edition reduces the price of the Chaos Edition from $30 to $10

So you'll effectively get it for half off
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Thanks to @luchaire for the copy of Terraria. In doing so, my Steam-related white whale has been defeated. There will be revenge upon a future payday - oh yes, there will be revenge.

Damn you @luchaire i just got home and saw it was still on LiLo's wishlist, glad I read the rest of the thread before clicking send gift.. nobody else on my friends list has it wishlisted

And happy birthday!
    steam_sig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Anyone want a 75% off coupon for Shogun 2? Shoot me a PM or something. First come first serve.
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So, funny enough

If you're interested in Blood Bowl

Buy the Legendary Edition in that bundle for $5, owning Legendary Edition reduces the price of the Chaos Edition from $30 to $10

So you'll effectively get it for half off

And be prepared to mix fun and frustration together and hate Cyanide with the rest if us.

You do indulge remember to stop b u the BB thread.
    steam_sig.png
    PA Steam Coupon List
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Evil Snake Cult Leader Registered User regular

Commas.

Watching the trailers, I'm referring to the thing where you jump from cockpit view to a right-behind-your-plane camera so that your own plane gets in the way when you're aiming.

But yeah, it doesn't look as terrible as HAWX's patented camera fuckery.

Right, yeah that's dog fight mode. I'm pretty sure that's video editing dickery coming into play. I don't recall that happening to me while I played it, and being forced out of cockpit view would've been a massive deal breaker for me so I assume I would remember that.
    In fact I think the worst thing Dogfight mode does (other than making it nigh impossible to dodge missiles, which I actually like a little) is zooms/narrows your field of view to your current target as you chase them down.
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »

Games for 1$:

Games for 5$:
    Drakensang [Steam]

I know there has been some love for Fairy Bloom Freesia in the thread, and Patrician is a well known strategy game. The others, I'm not familiar with.

Patrician IV, Drakensang, AND Bloodbowl. Touche...

Between this and Borderlands 2 DLC, today has brought forth a good harvest.
    camo_sig2.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Huh just looked at Rocksmith now. That's pretty cool. Was just thinking I should start playing again. It's almost exactly like the website I linked above though so by itself I'm not sure I want to pay money for what's free online, but the game DOES sound pretty boss if you have that Real Tone Cable thing. A 1/4 to usb sounds fantastic. Does anyone know what the default playlist is?

This is similar to the thingy I play on.
    big%20epiphone%20firebirdDSCN9682.jpg

Good sound, two fat humbuckers, good weight.
    steam_sig.png
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular

Games for 1$:

Games for 5$:
    Drakensang [Steam]

Drakensang is amazing and easily worth the $5 all by itself. I am tempted to get the bundle just to have that on Steam (I own a non-steam version from back when Direct2Drive was a thing).

It's a great game system, a good story/adventure, the graphics are good (particularly considering the age of the game), and it offers a rabbit hole of modding potential...
    steam_sig.png
    Huh just looked at Rocksmith now. That's pretty cool. Was just thinking I should start playing again. It's almost exactly like the website I linked above though so by itself I'm not sure I want to pay money for what's free online, but the game DOES sound pretty boss if you have that Real Tone Cable thing. A 1/4 to usb sounds fantastic. Does anyone know what the default playlist is?

I'm out and about ao I can't link it right now but search on rocksmith song list and you will find the included tracks and all the dlc tracks.
    steam_sig.png
    PA Steam Coupon List
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I'm out and about ao I can't link it right now but search on rocksmith song list and you will find the included tracks and all the dlc tracks.

Just googled it. The tracklist makes me not want to spend any money, but the technology in the game really flips me the other way...

Undecided.
    steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Shitwizards CUNTINGFUCKSHITASSRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Just gonna say that Proteus is pretty fantastic if you want to wander around looking at gorgeous sights and listening to wonderful sounds. It's one of the best games-as-art things around. I love that it's built as a purely subjective experience too. Thirty Flights and Dear Esther do what they do very well, but Proteus is more about the players personal experience than the experience as delivered.

Also, screenshots don't do the game justice at all, and I suggest trying to make a decision on the game by watching as little video as possible. There are so many cool little surprises that are at their best when experienced fresh.

This is from last page, but I fucking love Proteus and if anyone even thinks it looks slightly interesting they should try it. It's only $5 right now so why not?
    VMkxq9E.png
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular

Games for 1$:

Games for 5$:
    Drakensang [Steam]

Drakensang is amazing and easily worth the $5 all by itself. I am tempted to get the bundle just to have that on Steam (I own a non-steam version from back when Direct2Drive was a thing).

It's a great game system, a good story/adventure, the graphics are good (particularly considering the age of the game), and it offers a rabbit hole of modding potential...

Annnnnnd.... that decision was made for me.

Many thanks to the ever-classy @HiT BiT for the whole goshdarn bundle!

<3<3<3
    steam_sig.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Looks like they added a new option for the inventory gifts...

pkzP9Mo.png

BURN THEM ALL!!

NEVER! I will one day find someone to gift my duplicate copy of Half life 2 from the orange box.
    Darmak wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    Just gonna say that Proteus is pretty fantastic if you want to wander around looking at gorgeous sights and listening to wonderful sounds. It's one of the best games-as-art things around. I love that it's built as a purely subjective experience too. Thirty Flights and Dear Esther do what they do very well, but Proteus is more about the players personal experience than the experience as delivered.

Also, screenshots don't do the game justice at all, and I suggest trying to make a decision on the game by watching as little video as possible. There are so many cool little surprises that are at their best when experienced fresh.

This is from last page, but I fucking love Proteus and if anyone even thinks it looks slightly interesting they should try it. It's only $5 right now so why not?

Because a new car and new home extension and three new kitties and- wait, I already bought it. Never mind.
    camo_sig2.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So La Mulana is pretty awesome. I only just scratched the surface, but its awesome. It really does feel like the action-platformer version of Dark Souls. Not only is it hard, but I have no idea what anything does! Green orbs? Brown things? I will figure it all out!

After my hair cut, next up is to try Fez out.
    The Post 2012 Summer Sale Backlog Progress
    Games Finished: 34 Games Added: 15 Total Progress: +19

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.