Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Just bought the Xcom: Slingshot DLC because even though I pre-ordered it and only have around 11 hours played, who can say no to 2 dollar DLC!

Now to figure out what's next to play through after spending around 100 glorious hours with Fallout New Vegas. Skyrim is on the list but waiting on on sale for the DLC. Dragon Age Origns Ultimate Editionis also on the list.

Hmmmm decisions....
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I bought the Slingshot DLC, but I refuse to play until they fix the teleporting alien bug

Which means I will probably never play XCOM again
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Was generously gifted the XCom Slingshot Pack by @Wooden Spoon
  • TeeManTeeMan Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I bought the Slingshot DLC, but I refuse to play until they fix the teleporting alien bug

Is that where packs go into the alert phase without you seeing them? Or is it when you see them, but they don't go into alert phase but WHEN they do, they get two turns back to back?
    Steam: TeeMan
    GOG: hellisforheroes
    Tumblr: BrainSpoon
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

Is that where packs go into the alert phase without you seeing them? Or is it when you see them, but they don't go into alert phase but WHEN they do, they get two turns back to back?

No, that's when an alien appears instantly in the middle of your squad and immediately caps someone in the back of the head in the same turn.

I've seen it caused by aliens activating, and then retreating back into the fog, whereupon they seem to revert back to their "jump instantly to a new location" behavior.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I must be one of the 1% who has never seen one of these bugs. I do rage quit all the time, but that's because XCOM
    steam_sig.png
    I don't think I've ever sat down without XCOM without getting frustrated by some bug or another.

It is a shame because when the game works, I enjoy it even if it does feel very board game-y compared to the original, I mean I like board games too so whatever.
    camo_sig2.png
  • SteevLSteevL Registered User regular
    And another Steamgifts giveaway is over!

signature.png

Congrats to @tsmvengy, who gets to torch some lights, too.
  • IoloIolo Registered User regular
    @Krummith correctly ascertained that I really wanted to play dress up with my elite super soldiers who can't hit the broad side of a barn from two feet sometimes. Thanks for XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Slingshot Pack!
    steam_sig.png

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    And another Steamgifts giveaway is over!

signature.png

Congrats to @tsmvengy, who gets to torch some lights, too.

Thanks! Time for the looting!
    steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular

I have the exact same thoughts. 'Cept I decided to save money.

• Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Gulf CoastRegistered User regular
    Good god, but @Khildith is a classy, classy person. I need a snorkel, because I'm in over my head in all this class.
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    @Khildith puts the ass in class.

if you know what i mean.

(sex)
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to @Wooden Spoon for the contest, and for letting my son have the winnings since I already have XCOM but my son has had it wishlisted since it came out. I offered the avatar for free, but the classy gent was having none of that! (if it's considered bad form to let my kid have it, someone say something and I will promptly buy a new copy and distribute it to someone else)

And remember: all good knights need to be accomplished at spooning. It's in the handbook.

Contest Challenge!
    Top hats! Send me a picture of a person or animal that looks particularly stunning in a top hat.

And no, you can't use the top-hat-wearing avatars of any PA forumers. :P
    - EXPIRED!
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    You people make me hunger for things that don't exist yet. A squad tactics game where I'm a merc with a ship, salvaging/stealing gear from across the galaxy and forging a nation in the void where giants have stomped a planet into the shadows ignored and forgotten by the universe.
    Your kid is half you, so I say that it's fine to gift them the game.
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer SanFranciscoRegistered User regular
    You people make me hunger for things that don't exist yet. A squad tactics game where I'm a merc with a ship, salvaging/stealing gear from across the galaxy and forging a nation in the void where giants have stomped a planet into the shadows ignored and forgotten by the universe.

well let's get a team and make dat shit
    camo_sig2.png
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Noooooo! @Wooden Spoon you can't counter that fast! Thank you duder for Ys 1 and 2! I can't wait to dig in.
    Khildith on
    steam_sig.png
  • Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Gulf CoastRegistered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »
    Noooooo! @WoodenSpoon you can't counter that fast! Thank you duder for Ys 1 and 2! I can't wait to dig in.
    I don't know the rules. :P
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    KITTENS KITTENS KITTENS KITT

ENS
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • KainyKainy Registered User regular
    God damn it. I pop into the thread to have a read and SOMEONE has to go and mention that XCOM is the daily.

I JUST bought the multiplayer Castlevania, which I probably shouldn't have. But... $13 XCOM?

Newell, you mother fucker.

Unrelated, does anyone else have the issue with Steam not showing their selected "favorite" window when it starts up?

Mine's been doing that basically since I built my new computer and it is annoying as hell.

Also, anyone familiar with Strike Suit Zero PM me, I have a really weird question involving the binding of joystick axes.
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Sooo... I just started HL2 Episode 2 and for some reason the game has no voice dialogue, only subtitles. What the hell?
    steam_sig.png
    oakke wrote: »
    Sooo... I just started HL2 Episode 2 and for some reason the game has no voice dialogue, only subtitles. What the hell?

Inbetween Episode 1 and Episode 2, Freeman went deaf and learned how to read lips, didn't you know?

Realtalk I have no idea
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2013
    More like telepathy, cause the mouths aren't moving at all. Freaky!

Found a fix on the Steam forums, let's see if it works.

edit: Tell you what, whoever came up with this "converting to a new, more efficient format" thing is an asshole. There goes my plan to play anything else today.
    oakke on
    steam_sig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    rv wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I kinda regret not getting Tomb Raider sooner, it's damn fun. It feels like a cross between Uncharted and a LoZ game. It's gonna be hard to go back and play the old ones again now.

I too have been getting really into Tomb Raider just recently. I pretty much love it except for the cutscene every minute and shakycam. Still it plays quite well and is starting to weave one hell of a tale.

I wasn't a fan of shakycam either, but I've gotten used to it. But I can see it completely ruining the game for some people, which is a shame. There's no excuse to not have an option to turn it off.

Sadly, even early on, I ran into the same issue I had with Batman:AA.

"Oh, press this button to reveal all the objects of note in the area."... Ok!! <me taking 2 steps forward and pressing the button again>...<me taking 2 steps forward...>

At least AA let me toggle it. :)
    camo_sig2.png

edit: Tell you what, whoever came up with this "converting to a new, more efficient format" thing is an asshole. There goes my plan to play anything else today.

Honestly, I see it as a patch. A massive, time consuming, sizeable patch.

If it fixes stuff, that's great though.

Yeah I know, I just wish it was treated like a regular patch instead of waiting for the exact moment I want to play that game. And then locking everything so I can't even play a different game while I wait.
    steam_sig.png

Yeah I know, I just wish it was treated like a regular patch instead of waiting for the exact moment I want to play that game. And then locking everything so I can't even play a different game while I wait.

Oh I understand completely. It locked up my machine while trying to play Dark Messiah last night. But in good news, Dark Messiah works a lot better now than it did before (that is, at all)
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Gracias @Banzai5150 for System Shock 2age!
    steam_sig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

Oh I understand completely. It locked up my machine while trying to play Dark Messiah last night. But in good news, Dark Messiah works a lot better now than it did before (that is, at all)

Incidentally, the locking up Steam thing is totally unnecessary. Once it starts, kill the Steam.exe process through task manager, then start Steam again. It will continue to download the new content or whatever as a normal Steam download, i.e. not locking up the entire client for no reason at all.
    steam_sig.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    EDIT: Wrong thread. :/
    The Ender on
    Yes, I am still angry
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC YorkRegistered User regular
    By the by, Gamersgate appear to have the Orcs Must Die 2 complete pack for a startling £4.75.
    If imploding/melting/skewering hordes of Orcs in an array of magical traps and boomy spells sounds like it might be fun (and believe me, it is), then that's a fiver well spent.

It's pretty clearly designed for co-op play, and is frenetically fun with it, but you can also viably play it solo, if that's your thing.
    steam_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 A man chooses A slave obeysRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Man. I haven't lived onto steam in three days now. Just been super busy with real life stuff. And for once, it's good stuff! New car will be here in three weeks. Not having driven in 4 years will be tricky but I'll take a few lessons and I have a target of traveling on the motorway within a fortnight.

And then the kitties! Soon they will be gone. For now here's a YouTube video of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haLeN6KbqQE&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

Those cats are fucking adorable.
    sig.gif

2008, 2012 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • minirhyderminirhyder NYCRegistered User regular
    What do you mean they will be gone D:D:D:D:
    steam_sig.png
    BF3 Battlelog | Twitter | World of Tanks Profile
    Selling a brand new NZXT Hale82 650W Modular PSU - PM me for details
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    Blood Appeasement for Summer Dale. May the discounts be many and mighty.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    So, I have moved through some more games.
    Fallen Enchantress gets a solid... meeeeh from me. I wanted to like it, but it's not very intuitive at all. I have no idea what's going on. I really need to find a decent tutorial somewhere because I had 1 city and 2 outposts in a game by the time the winning AI had all kinds of cities connected by roads and everything. I have no idea.

Endless Space. Definately one I can "one more turn" to. However there is depth to the AI diplomacy I need to investiage. Also ships. I thought I was badass taking over two other civilizations with my 3000 power fleet when the last AI rolls over me with multiple 13000+ power fleets. Yea. Definately not as streamlined as, say, Civ, but definately a fun space game.

XCom. Man, I waited WAY too long for this. I am still in the tutorial, but wow, this game is a really fun game so far! I'm going to enjoy this one I think. I am not the best at these games, but so far I'm doing ok. Haven't got anyone killed yet, only gravely injured.
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.