Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    I haven't even broken the digital seal on com... should I grab the dlc now anyways?
    steam_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Do not buy slingshot. It tries to impose more scripted/linear storytelling onto XCOM in a way that is very counter to the essence of the game. Also, it's short and not very good.

Elite soldier pack is kind of superfluous too (it was preorder DLC), but if being able to put guile hair on your troops and change the color of their armor is important to you, then go for it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    You can ignore slingshot missions and you get hats
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • StragintStragint Registered User regular
    Wait, whats up with XCOM? Is it on sale?
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    Yes
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

Daily.

steam_sig.png
  • Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Gulf CoastRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder, there are just under 6 hours remaining to receive a copy of XCOM in exchange for a forum avatar involving a wooden spoon. One lucky winner will receive the game, which, I assure you, is in no way devalued by being on sale today.

Keep up the wonderful work!
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    So..
    Don't Starve. Been eyeballing it for a while. Yay or nay?
    camo_sig.png
    WiiU - vamenn (MONSTER HUNTER!!!)
    XBL - dachishbudoka
    PS3 - dachish
    "Woe be to him that defies the tree"
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    So..

Its a great bit of fun, just be prepared to die. A lot.
    steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm torn on X-Com. On one hand, I feel my backlog is entirely too big, to the point where I'm staring at my Steam list and debating what to play (to say nothing of my consoles). On the other hand... cheap X-Com, which everyone at work seemed to rave about.

My depression/procrastination isn't helping either.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    So I should avoid the Slingshot DLC?
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • minirhyderminirhyder NYCRegistered User regular
    Last reminder
    minirhyder wrote: »
    classycopy1copy.png

After 9 months of unemployment, I've secured a job offer. I start next Monday.
    This will be my first full-time, adult job.

So it's giveaway time.

Tell me (PM) stories of your first days at work. Did you do something dumb? Embarrassing? Awesome?

I'm giving away a copy of NFS: Hot Pursuit and Serious Sam 3: BFE. Let me know which one you want.

Closing tonight!
    steam_sig.png
    BF3 Battlelog | Twitter | World of Tanks Profile
    Selling a brand new NZXT Hale82 650W Modular PSU - PM me for details
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So I should avoid the Slingshot DLC?

Nah. It's fun to do once anyway, and you can ignore it in subsequent games if you want. Plus, more cosmetic stuff is always good. And it's cheap. Serve the Newell!

Contest Challenge!
    What's my favorite color?
    Let's see who's paying attention...
    - EXPIRED!

(Reminder: In case people don't realize, and I'm thinking some don't, you want to enter as many challenges as you can. More entries = more chances to win.)
    Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    @rikdaly the classy devil he is just plunked down a steaming fresh copy of System Shock 2 in my library

I am going to dive into this ancient classic I've so skillfully managed to forget every goddam spoiler I've read about.
    I think there's a GLaDOS and maybe a spaceship?

Thank you Rik I'm sure I'll be shivering in terror soon <3
    camo_sig2.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    So..

Its a great bit of fun, just be prepared to die. A lot.

But...but I'm not supposed to starve...
    camo_sig.png
    WiiU - vamenn (MONSTER HUNTER!!!)
    XBL - dachishbudoka
    PS3 - dachish
    "Woe be to him that defies the tree"
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    It's not the Starving that'll get you.

I've just started playing it myself. I have no idea what is going on and I think that's kinda the point.
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    If I have no problems with the old graphics and gameplay of Deus Ex, will I enjoy System Shock 2?
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    If I have no problems with the old graphics and gameplay of Deus Ex, will I enjoy System Shock 2?
    Very much so.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    many thanks to @CroakerBC for Starvoid! very classy of you good sir

from the hour I've played of it so far it seems a lot like deus ex in some ways, I installed these mods and it looks great
    steam_sig.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I just finished Lord of the Rings: War in the North and it was great fun, take that backlog! 1 down only a few hundred to go
    steam_sig.png
  • Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Gulf CoastRegistered User regular
    This just means I'm finally going to have to play System Shock 2. Life is just awful sometimes.
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
  • SteevLSteevL Registered User regular
    A reminder:

signature.png

A few hours left to go!
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Think I'll wait on the dlc if it's mostly decorative. Have they stabilized Fez? Ifeel like stupidly adding to my backlog.
    steam_sig.png
  • StragintStragint Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Daily.

The sales are never long enough.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    You've got 18 hours!
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
    Ugh, now I need to get Wargame: Airland Battle. Helps that it's only $30, though.

http://youtu.be/w7kFzb7rWhI

The other Wargame was a lot of fun, so I'm guessing this will be too.
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You've got 18 hours!

Not long ENOUGH

Edit: Removed Boldness. Bold + Italics = one ominous type
    The Brayster on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol Provocative Pogona Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Are either of the XCom DLCs worth it? I don't usually buy DLC; anything special about these missions?

Slingshot gives you some different missions, but nothing super compelling. About the only game changer is that it allows you to get a particularly elusive end-game weapon earlier and less painfully than in the base game. And you get a dude, which is kind of pointless in a game with one-shot permadeath. Most people seemed to have gotten it just for the new hats.

Elite soldier gives you Guile hair and the ability to change your armor color. I'm of the opinion the latter should've been in the base game to begin with instead of some preorder nonsense, because although it sounds kind of trivial, it's actually damn useful for distinguishing your troops at a glance.
    Zxerol on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Zxerol wrote: »
    ....Elite soldier gives you Guile hair and the ability to change your armor color. I'm of the opinion the latter should've been in the base game to begin with instead of some preorder nonsense, because although it sounds kind of trivial, it's actually damn useful for distinguishing your troops at a glance.
    This!
    My team ends up looking like Power Rangers because I have each combat role colour coded.

Rookies = Green (get it?)
    Assaults = Yellow
    Heavy = Red
    Support (medic) = White
    Support (smoke) = Blue
    Sniper = Black
    Psi = Purple

makes it so easy to evaluate your situation at glance.

*Edit: forgot one =P
    Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan Registered User regular
    Elite solider pack bought! It may not have all the fancy hats, but a few helmets, badass-looking armour types and colours does the trick for me.

My favourite thing to do in this game is to start a new one, so heeere we go again
    Steam: TeeMan
    GOG: hellisforheroes
    Tumblr: BrainSpoon
    Viking wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    ....Elite soldier gives you Guile hair and the ability to change your armor color. I'm of the opinion the latter should've been in the base game to begin with instead of some preorder nonsense, because although it sounds kind of trivial, it's actually damn useful for distinguishing your troops at a glance.
    This!
    My team ends up looking like Power Rangers because I have each combat role colour coded.

Assaults = Yellow
    Heavy = Red
    Support (medic) = White
    Support (smoke) = Blue
    Sniper = Black
    Psi = Purple

makes it so easy to evaluate your situation at glance.

Rookies get a basic color and then if you manage to get yourself a nickname, you get a color. Everyone gets their own color. If you die, that color opens up.
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Decoy wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    The daily is the new Xcom for $13.59. It's supposed to be pretty fun if you like that sorta thing. I could never get into the series when I was younger, someday I'll try again.

Which means the DLC is on sale. MWHAHAhahaaha. The day is mine!!.... and my mother's....

I CALLED IT!!!!

Granted, it took a couple of weeks...

EDIT: Also, the above reason is specifically why I purchased and gave away the customization packs. Sometimes, I really don't want to screw around with renaming everyone. I just want a quick at-a-glace report of the situation.
    Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    I kinda regret not getting Tomb Raider sooner, it's damn fun. It feels like a cross between Uncharted and a LoZ game. It's gonna be hard to go back and play the old ones again now.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I kinda regret not getting Tomb Raider sooner, it's damn fun. It feels like a cross between Uncharted and a LoZ game. It's gonna be hard to go back and play the old ones again now.

I often wish LoZ had Guardian of Light's pacing.

And this new Tomb Raider's environments and gameplay do more for me than all the grimdark.
    Cantido on
    The sound of eight hooves reaches his ears, comes from the heavenly light, two wolves howls fills his heart with fear, and he sees two ravens fly. Down from the sky a warlord rides, like fire his one eye glows, and just before the preacher dies he knows his god is false.
  • rvrv Registered User regular

I too have been getting really into Tomb Raider just recently. I pretty much love it except for the cutscene every minute and shakycam. Still it plays quite well and is starting to weave one hell of a tale.
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    rv wrote: »

I too have been getting really into Tomb Raider just recently. I pretty much love it except for the cutscene every minute and shakycam. Still it plays quite well and is starting to weave one hell of a tale.

I wasn't a fan of shakycam either, but I've gotten used to it. But I can see it completely ruining the game for some people, which is a shame. There's no excuse to not have an option to turn it off.
    anoffday on
    steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    I bought Tomb raider, but sadly my system doesn't take too kindly to it, so I cant play it until I get a new PC. It's like the one game.
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Couple of overdue thanks.

@Maddoc thank you for Anomaly 2
    @Khildith thank you for Farcry 3: Blood Dragon
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.