Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

I Want To Be Sophia Loren When I Grow Up [fashion/beauty]

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Basically, I'm whining that nobody makes vests cut to fit under a jacket but constructed to be worn without one in my small budget and narrow tastes.

I just want the entire clothing industry to revolve around me. Is that too much to ask?
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Greatest Wizard In All of Ooo. Cantrip!Registered User regular
    its weird that my face skin is looking good now

gimme a kiss world

I TOLD YOU BRO

TOLD YOU BOUT THAT EXFOLIATION
  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    biiiiiits
    I've done that routine twice now, super pleased with it. Hair isn't so flat up top!! :D
  • VivixenneVivixenne Not Mad... Just DisappointedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What do you mean by unfinished back? Cuz Blake wears just the vest and pants of his 3-piece to work all the time and it doesn't look incomplete at all. In fact it looks rather dapper.

And his vest's back is similar fabric to suit lining with a pair of straps to adjust the fit.

I don't think either Sheri or I were responding with girl-vests in mind.
    Vivixenne on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Not Mad... Just DisappointedRegistered User regular
    The thing is, any part of a nice 3-piece can be worn separately with other accessories and look really good. In my opinion, anyway.

Maybe Blake just makes it look particularly good.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    its weird that my face skin is looking good now

gimme a kiss world

I TOLD YOU BRO

TOLD YOU BOUT THAT EXFOLIATION
    you told me
    it's tru
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • smofsmof The meanest dinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My face skin has decided it wants to unleash hell on me any time I drink a beer. So we are enemies now.
    smof on
  • UsagiUsagi Got catz in my zone Ca-catz in my zoneRegistered User regular
    More contacts discussion!

@lonelyahava I've been wearing contacts since I was 15. They initially fit me with gas-permeable hard lenses as a way to keep the shape of my eyes from changing so quickly (I was getting a new prescription every four months from 13-15), and I wore those for several years. In college I switched to the Acuvue 2s, then later to Acuvue Advanced but they bothered by eyes a whole bunch. I've been wearing Acuvue Oasys for the last three/four years and they're amazing, especially given how much time I spend in front of a computer screen.

I've learned the hard way to keep to the two-week rule, eye infections & scratches are an almost guarantee if you let your lenses get grody and old plus they just start to feel gross and gummy.

Oh! And if you're cooking with garlic, onions, leeks, anything pungent and especially anything with capsaicin wash your hands like nobody's business before touching your eye (I've started using dish liquid to get the oils off my skin, but some people wear latex gloves while they chop). Nothing in the universe is worse than forgetting you chopped a thai chili or jalepeno and then touching your eyes hours later, omg so ow.
    twit | make stuff | GW2: Arithmetock.3459 | a list of wishes | a post of wishes | svpply
    In other fashion-esque news, I have a banging new haircut and a plethora of painful acne on my jaw/chin

That dermatologist appointment can't come fast enough
    twit | make stuff | GW2: Arithmetock.3459 | a list of wishes | a post of wishes | svpply
  • tynictynic Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm awesomeing the haircut, not the acne.
  • InfidelInfidel It's not Infidel, it's INNNNNFIDELRegistered User regular
    My entire skin care regimen involves a bar of soap. :|
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Phalla discussion and Secret Santas :: PhallAX 2013
    Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
    ... mine doesn't even involve that.

i do own moisturizer? somewhere?
    well it's hand and nail cream but same diff, right?
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I got a $40 bra for $25 since it was mismarked and it's the best bra I own. I guess you do get what you pay for with certain things!

Usagi, you look amazing!
    bowtiedseal on
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    holy crap, usagi!
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    My entire skin care regimen involves a bar of soap. :|

this is me

soap on ma bod, nothing but water on my face

It's started resulting in dry spots on my chin and forehead though, so I'm thinking I might need to upgrade

I kinda got scared away from too much face stuff because I was worried it would resurrect my acne or something
    02YsrWP.jpg
    Everything I try to deal with acne just seems to result in more acne. So feck it.
  • cabsycabsy Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I didn't think the Oasys were much better than the 2's, so the main difference to me is that they were a lot more expensive. So I went and found an optometrist that would let me switch back to 2's.

This is definitely a YMMV kind of thing though.

You guys gotta quit talking about things I actually have opinions on at 3 in the goddamn morning

Anyway the thing about Oasys vs Acuvue 2s is the amount of air they let through, if you have a lower strength prescription you'll be fine with the 2s most likely, I wear a -9 in both eyes and 2s are uh, completely fucking miserable for me. My optometrist told me at my script you're looking at, say (this is not scientific numbers this was his example) with a script as high as mine the Oasys let through about 90% of regular air flow to my eye, so they feel comfortable, while the Acuvue 2 or Acuvue 2 colors would only let through about 20% of regular air flow. And the 2s made my eyes feel really sticky and they shifted around a lot on my eyeball because the lack of airflow made them gummy and my eyes upset so it was just all very awkward. If you're not Mr. Magoo it's less of an issue.

Also I use the ClearCare/peroxide system like Viv is talking about because I am very mildly allergic to ingredients in regular boob-case cleaners so I use it daily and honestly I just wear my contact lenses until they get a nick in the edge or they feel like they aren't 100% clean anymore and generally with a daily peroxide clean I can get 6 weeks plus out of two week lenses. I keep regular saline on hand for rinsing before I put in my eyes (if I get lint or cat hair on a lens, or whatever) and if I'm traveling or don't have 6 hours to let it sit I'll just use a very mild no rub or just fill the case with straight saline instead.

I've had glasses since six and then contacts briefly at 11 (I was too dirty to keep them clean enough to be wearable, honestly) and then I went back to contacts again at 15. The hardest part for me with contacts was not putting them in, it was getting them out! The doctor will go over and over putting them in and I've never had a problem touching my eyes so that wasn't hard, but he didn't go over how to take them out and at the end of my first day wearing contacts as a teenager I was like well... now what the fuck do I do? I'd completely forgotten how to take them out from when I was younger.

If you're Mr. Magoo don't expect to be able to sleep in your contact lenses, if you're a normal person with a lower level of correction you can get those sleepable lenses if you want. I obviously have no experience with those. Primary concern is washing your hands, all the time, every time you're going to touch an eye or a contact lens. Onions, peppers, cigarette smoke, lotion, marker (this is how I ruined my contacts at 11 years old), nail polish remover, anything that the idea of touching it directly to your eye is absolutely horrifying - wash your hands and then wash em one more time to be sure they're really clean before you put in or take out your contacts. Also if you have very heavy or long eyelashes buy an eyelash curler, because a lash in your eye without contacts is an irritant and a lash in your eye with contacts is like someone took a razor blade and made it even worse like some kind of hell razor blade and then tucked it right under your contact lens. If you have really heavy lashes sometimes they can straighten out and sit right above your eye and irritate the lens and a quick even halfass curl with a curler will clear that right up.

For all that this sounds really complicated, it really isn't, and I wouldn't trade my contact lenses for the world unless I could get super cheap/free lasik in which case I would be all over that.
    cabsy wrote: »
    Anyway the thing about Oasys vs Acuvue 2s is the amount of air they let through, if you have a lower strength prescription you'll be fine with the 2s most likely, I wear a -9 in both eyes and 2s are uh, completely fucking miserable for me. My optometrist told me at my script you're looking at, say (this is not scientific numbers this was his example) with a script as high as mine the Oasys let through about 90% of regular air flow to my eye, so they feel comfortable, while the Acuvue 2 or Acuvue 2 colors would only let through about 20% of regular air flow. And the 2s made my eyes feel really sticky and they shifted around a lot on my eyeball because the lack of airflow made them gummy and my eyes upset so it was just all very awkward. If you're not Mr. Magoo it's less of an issue.

Whoa, suddenly my problems with non-Oasys lenses make a lot more sense
    I think that works just fine @honovere
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Phalla discussion and Secret Santas :: PhallAX 2013
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Like everyone else in this thread, I also use acuvue oasys and the clear care cleanser. I have an astigmatism in my left eye so have the astigmatism contacts (also oasys) for that one. They're supposed to be monthlies but i wear them until i lose one or they start bugging me. I wear my glasses at night. I've been wearing contacts since I was 17/18 and putting them in for the first time was relevatory - it was like I hadn't seen my face properly in ten years.
  • BeastehBeasteh RIP BIG CHRIZZLERegistered User regular
    i used to have super bad bacne right up til my mid 20s and one day it went away and never came back
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    yeah looks like a pretty swell get up to me
    I use Air Optix Aqua lenses. Four years now? I leave them in as much as possible, I find that removing my contacts more often than necessary cause more wear and irritation for me than just letting it be.

About the only time I have any kind of discomfort is not the lenses fault but OH GOD EYELASHES FFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I use Air Optix Aqua lenses,

188.jpg

which are really comfy and I've never had trouble with, they're the 30 day ones. I think they're UK only but I wanted to join in.
    PASignatureJune.jpg
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i used to have super bad bacne right up til my mid 20s and one day it went away and never came back

hormones brah
    hi5 Liiya, I get those exact ones here in Canada.
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hi5! They must be further spread than I thought!
    PASignatureJune.jpg
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

Still have this, if it hasn't fucked off by the time I'm 30 I'm gonna be particularly incensed.
    uwsig2of.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Yup air optix are my brand. And I wear them till they rip, basically, to make them last longer. The current ones I have, I've worn for like 3 months, I think?
    rat.jpg facebook? tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Wishlist! satan here!
    Yeah, I tend to get about 2 months out of mine so a box lasts a year which is convenient I guess!
    I need to find an optometrist, I'vebeen ordering my lenses on the internet but I know I need a new prescription (and have done for a few years).

I also need to find a doctor, a dentist, a dental surgeon to get rid of these wisdom teeth ...

fuck being a grownup.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Registered User regular
    Turns out I've had astigmatism since who knows when, so I need glasses and presumedly my 'normal' vision is actually much worse than it should be.

Hopefully the frames I picked out look alright, I'm not really sure what to go for when it comes to glasses.
    LetharCombo_zpsbd0f5853.gif?t=13486907462wT1Q.gif

Have you all tried just having eyes that aren't rubbish?
  • crwthcrwth Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    Have you all tried just having eyes that aren't rubbish?

lol
    C6ALTav.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I used the air optix aqua monthlies, too, and they were quite comfortable. Recently I switched to acuvue true eye dailies, because for PC work glasses are just less stressful for my eyes and if you use the contacts only on the weekends it might turn out cheaper with dailies and the handling is much less complicated.
    Also, if you lose a daily it's no big deal. Losing a monthly or a rigid contact is much more annoying.
    honovere on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    say that to my red eye contacts with which i ruin all photos
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist Look at the faces. Listen to the bells. It's hard to believe we need a place called hell.Registered User regular
    Hey beautiful people. Have some eye art

Batman & co
    Other DC
    Mahvel
    Other
    watchman25ia7ku.jpg291.gif
    Steam: cristke