Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also hello good morning [chat] how are all you wonderful people today?
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm suddenly realizing how obnoxious I must have been when I was pessimistic 100% of the time / younger. I'm arguing with someone like this yet again and it just hit me like a ton of bricks.

at least you got better!

nothing gets better life is just a parade of misery interrupted only by bouts of delusion
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Also hello good morning [chat] how are all you wonderful people today?

10 by 10
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Man now that I'm working full time I have the money to buy ad space for my comic or whatever but I have no time to promote it and I'm not even sure where to start :|
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I'm suddenly realizing how obnoxious I must have been when I was pessimistic 100% of the time / younger. I'm arguing with someone like this yet again and it just hit me like a ton of bricks.

at least you got better!

nothing gets better life is just a parade of misery interrupted only by bouts of delusion

no no no
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Spool I thought you were going to start a company or something

Man I have so many irons in the fire right now. Pre-planning a software app to possibly kickstart. Doing fact-finding + business plan writing for a possible gaming / restaurant business. Writing for Bare Mettle. Character sketches for my own project. Looking for a new FT job....

Something is going to fucking click. It better fucking click.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    are people pretending apple products aren't overpriced rofl y'all sheeple
    spool32 wrote: »
    It really frustrates me that the only option I have for a loan is an extremely high-interest predatory lender.

my work lets me take a loan against my 401k, do you have that option?

I consumed my entire retirement savings trying to save my house from foreclosure when I was out of work in 2009. Then I took a job that pays about 15% less than the one I got when I bought the house, so I can't afford to contribute to a retirement fund now.

hmm

have you considered becoming a pirate?

Startup costs are high + the coast guard frowns on that shit now. Plus we're a long way from New Orleans so there's a distinct lack of safe harbor between here and Tortuga.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    So Strip Search is pretty good.

Though I can definitely envision a lot of mean-spirited commentary about some of the perceived "personalities" presented.
    network_sig2.png
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Anything you said just got invalidated.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013

its a joke

apple products do sux tho
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    realtalk: i will never buy a 13" laptop ever again

15" or i feed

I'd be willing to try a 15" but I would never go back to a 17" and I love my 13". Might snag a MBA for myself for christmas or something to replace my old netbook, but it's a great size IMO.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    so, new computer thoughts

I am really happy everything worked and it booted the first time and all that

jesus christ w8 installs really fast

so far I like w8 -- I'm getting used to where stuff is and how you access it, but I don't mind the start pane at all. it reminds me of chrome and how it shows you the 8 websites you visit most, and how that is easy for me because odds are I'm probably hitting one of them. I don't interact with a ton of programs so it works for me. also I was talking with chu and it's funny how it's disorienting not to have a start button in windows at first, but I'm used to not having one in osx and having no problems with it

I like my new monitor but I have two gripes in that 1) it sits really low and there's no way to adjust it higher and 2) it's a big ass monitor on this slender little stem and it wobbles and that's irritating

my biggest frustration so far was installing office 2013. it has this really cool install thing where it like, streams to your computer and you can start using it like a minute after it starts streaming. which I think is awesome and will totes be the future of how shit installs, I hope. HOWEVER it's fucking frustrating that you can't install it where you want (I don't need office on my SSD) and you can't customize what installs and what doesn't (like, I don't want to install access or outlook but haha fuck you).

@gooey @donkey kong @spool32 @organichu @ludious @21stcentury @a5ehren @irond will

:^:

I didn't have that problem when I installed Office. Might be because I already had 2010 and it just upgraded what I had installed from that.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

its a joke

I know. It was just a good chance for me to say how laughable "sheep" / "sheeple" is.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So Strip Search is pretty good.

Though I can definitely envision a lot of mean-spirited commentary about some of the perceived "personalities" presented.

No need in envision! There is a forum full of horrible people saying horrible things about the competitors over in the PA Hub!
    Lh96QHG.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    I've never been clinically depressed, or such that I should've gotten medication

but the period when I graduated in 2008 and couldn't get a job even though I was going through interview after interview after interview for anything I could get

I basically had all the physical symptoms of clinical depression until I got a job
    Soo, anyone wanna see what's pretty close to the final images for my blog art? I won't post the link publicly, as it's not technically MINE yet, but I'd like someone opinions. Would a few of you like a PM?
    desc wrote: »
    I am going to buy a fancy new drawing tablet at some point soon.

Buy a cintiq

Tell them to use bags of cocaine for packaging material and to send a solid gold pen

http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-tablets/intuos/intuos5-touch-small

I'm thinking about this.

Ooh the current gen looks so classy. I have a 3rd gen that Iove but it is not as pretty as these.

That looks nice. Size looks very workable.

for some reason that has 3 1/2 stars and the medium has 4 1/2 so im vaguely considering the medium

since its only a hundo more

i dunno though *bites fingernails*

also im intimidated by how fancy these things are

Well, I don't know how much money you have but I can say that I have often bought electronics in life and said "I'll get the one with the smallest storage and not the medium one" or something like that, and usually $100ish is the difference. Inevitably a month later I really, really wished I could spend $100 to get whatever the difference was.

So my short answer as a guy who splurged and bought a large size 3rd gen is: fuck yeah ball till you die especially if it is something you are really going to use as a tool for your art. It's digital membrane between your hands and eyes and the art software and that membrane should be luxe as fuck.

Which brings me to the second point: you're pretty fancy, so a fancy tablet seems fitting.

*holds up one index finger* fancy artist!
    *holds up other index finger* fancy tablet!

*brings his fingertips together* fancy meets fancy!

Yo [chat] am I wrong here back me up

You are correct sir. Investing in your tools can only pay off in increased productivity, assuming you are actually investing in your tools that you use, and not in your bullshit fantasy of doing the work. I don't think Cass has the problem of investing in bullshit fantasy as opposed to work, so.

The right tool for the job can make a world of difference. Don't skimp on your tools.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    So a local gated community that was built partially inside a town now wants to not pay taxes to that town. They think that instead of them paying taxes, the school and churches in the area should have to pay these taxes. It would be the "christian" thing to do.

I have never wanted to burn that place to the ground more.
    Lh96QHG.png

Man I have so many irons in the fire right now. Pre-planning a software app to possibly kickstart. Doing fact-finding + business plan writing for a possible gaming / restaurant business. Writing for Bare Mettle. Character sketches for my own project. Looking for a new FT job....

Well, this by no means constitutes a promise but PM me when you get someone coalescing. I'm not a restaurant level baller, but investing in some other things isn't out of the question.
    TehSloth wrote: »

15" or i feed

I'd be willing to try a 15" but I would never go back to a 17" and I love my 13". Might snag a MBA for myself for christmas or something to replace my old netbook, but it's a great size IMO.
    laptops sux because you want them to small enough so that they are actually portable which means you are BURDENING yourself with shitty resolutions. 1920x1080 or i feed
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I've never been clinically depressed, or such that I should've gotten medication

but the period when I graduated in 2008 and couldn't get a job even though I was going through interview after interview after interview for anything I could get

I basically had all the physical symptoms of clinical depression until I got a job

Depression is weird and I don't know how clear the line between depressed and not depressed was for me growing up.
    edited May 2013
    I am a big guy, so 17" laptops just "feel right" for me but I totally get people who can't stand them. Honestly, I played with the alienware mx18 at Fry's (18") and it felt fine for me.
    Ludious on
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    My laptop is huge (just like all things in my lap) and I like it. But I don't feel overburdened by having a huge case or anything, and I don't move it that much.
    http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VS248HP#specifications

it looks like my monitor has VESA Wall Mounting : 100x100mm

so I can get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994001 and attach it to the back, yeah?

that replacment stand doesn't look much more stable than the one I have :i

@donkey kong
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    So a local gated community that was built partially inside a town now wants to not pay taxes to that town. They think that instead of them paying taxes, the school and churches in the area should have to pay these taxes. It would be the "christian" thing to do.

Someone needs to go explain christianity to these people.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Actually, Churches paying taxes would literally be the Christian thing to do, and I think tax exempt status is bullshit for a lot of these mega churches.

Render unto Caesar etc.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

You make Mama Rand proud, Spool! What's the gaming/restaurant business?
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    maybe I should wall mount it

its a joke

I don't get into the tribal 'PC vs. Mac' thing because I think it's dumb, but I'd pretty much only ever owned and built PCs before I bought my Macbook Pro. I'd seen other people's laptops, and honestly found them kinda slow and clunky to use in a laptop form factor (ie. trackpads that weren't great, overall sluggish performance because they were underpowered, the inherent pitfalls of a 5400rpm HDD, etc.). The physical presentation of my friends' laptops also just felt really cheap.

So I spent $1100 (~$1200 after tax) on a MBP because I really like the material quality and aesthetic, because the trackpad is honestly better than anything I've used (that wasn't an iProduct), and because I find OSX to be an interesting OS. I could've gotten a PC with the same specs (2.3ghz i5/4GB of RAM/320GB of RAM stock) for half the price, but I wouldn't have been as happy with it from an investment perspective.

There are still some hangups that annoy me -- like Finder's inability to handle FTP folders without locking up -- but after bumping it up to 8GB of RAM and swapping the HDD for a 128GB SSD... I'm very happy with it as a personal computing device. I relied on it exclusively during my 2 months in Jordan and my 4 months in Dubai, and it pretty much did everything I expected.
    network_sig2.png
    @syndalis Today's Wrap-Up Show is out of this world, don't miss it.

Actually, Churches paying taxes would literally be the Christian thing to do, and I think tax exempt status is bullshit for a lot of these mega churches.

Render unto Caesar etc.

It's not a mega church, it's a 125 year old abbey and monastery that is the entire reason this town exists.

I am not warmed to the idea that rich fuckers from Minnesota should get out of the taxes they signed up for because it would be the "christian" thing for other people to pay their taxes for them.
    Lh96QHG.png
    TehSloth wrote: »

15" or i feed

laptops sux because you want them to small enough so that they are actually portable which means you are BURDENING yourself with shitty resolutions. 1920x1080 or i feed

In retrospect if I were to ever rely on my MBP as my exclusive computer, I'd definitely invest in a 23"+ 1080p monitor.
    network_sig2.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »

Depression is weird and I don't know how clear the line between depressed and not depressed was for me growing up.

my stupid-self-doctor-anecdote about the whole thing is that you can have some extrapolating issue (usually involving not being able to do something, especially if you're actually trying and failing, like getting a job!) you kind of go into a state where your personal health goes haywire from stress or feeling like giving up. I also think that something can fuck up and you can get these symptoms even without having an extraneous stress issue.

Mental health is hard
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »

You make Mama Rand proud, Spool! What's the gaming/restaurant business?

is the software app something i would find useful?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    i think apple products sux because i like to play games and dislike laptops in general
    if you buy them to do work then maybe they are better but i still think they are overpriced.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VS248HP#specifications

it looks like my monitor has VESA Wall Mounting : 100x100mm

so I can get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994001 and attach it to the back, yeah?

that replacment stand doesn't look much more stable than the one I have :i

-"donkey kong"

Just get wall mounts, a decent arm mount is about the same price or cheaper than that and will be rock solid, as long as you don't mind drilling into your wall.

Render unto Caesar etc.

It's not a mega church, it's a 125 year old abbey and monastery that is the entire reason this town exists.

I am not warmed to the idea that rich fuckers from Minnesota should get out of the taxes they signed up for because it would be the "christian" thing for other people to pay their taxes for them.

I'm sorry, I didn't really finish my thought. They are clearly using some twisted logic to get out of paying taxes and they damn well should pay. Honestly, the most fair thing to do would be only make the people whose property lies within the city limits pay.

And they can bitch all they want, I can't imagine that the law is on their side at all.
    And whether we agree with the tax exempt nature of churches or not, it is the law of the land. If these people were petitioning the government to remove that charitable status it would be one thing.

Instead it's a spoiled kid demanding someone else pay for their toy vacation home.
    Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.