Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I've never been clinically depressed, or such that I should've gotten medication

but the period when I graduated in 2008 and couldn't get a job even though I was going through interview after interview after interview for anything I could get

I basically had all the physical symptoms of clinical depression until I got a job

Depression is weird and I don't know how clear the line between depressed and not depressed was for me growing up.

my stupid-self-doctor-anecdote about the whole thing is that you can have some extrapolating issue (usually involving not being able to do something, especially if you're actually trying and failing, like getting a job!) you kind of go into a state where your personal health goes haywire from stress or feeling like giving up. I also think that something can fuck up and you can get these symptoms even without having an extraneous stress issue.

Mental health is hard

I'm just... always stressed. Like clinical anxiety disorder. Since third grade. It colors a lot of my thoughts, and unfortunately is something I'm gonna be dealing with a lot for the next few years.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    you guys don't understand

taxes are inherently bad so paying them is only for bad people
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    So a local gated community that was built partially inside a town now wants to not pay taxes to that town. They think that instead of them paying taxes, the school and churches in the area should have to pay these taxes. It would be the "christian" thing to do.

I have never wanted to burn that place to the ground more.

Actually, Churches paying taxes would literally be the Christian thing to do, and I think tax exempt status is bullshit for a lot of these mega churches.

Render unto Caesar etc.

It's not a mega church, it's a 125 year old abbey and monastery that is the entire reason this town exists.

I am not warmed to the idea that rich fuckers from Minnesota should get out of the taxes they signed up for because it would be the "christian" thing for other people to pay their taxes for them.

I'm sorry, I didn't really finish my thought. They are clearly using some twisted logic to get out of paying taxes and they damn well should pay. Honestly, the most fair thing to do would be only make the people whose property lies within the city limits pay.

And they can bitch all they want, I can't imagine that the law is on their side at all.

That's all that happens! The people whose homes are outside of the city limits don't have to pay city taxes.

It is as fair as it can be. They're just entitled pricks. This being Florida, I am worried that while the law is not on their side, their pocketbooks are.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i can barely stand my 15.6" work thinkpad

it is a horrible giant monstrosity and is a chore to take anywhere
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i think apple products sux because i like to play games and dislike laptops in general
    if you buy them to do work then maybe they are better but i still think they are overpriced.

Price is a function of what people are willing to pay.

If your definition of a "fair price" is "I could put this processor and this RAM and this HDD together for x price, and that is the real, 'fair price' for this item" then I guess Apple products are overpriced. My definition happens to be "I feel like I got my money's worth given the things I care most about" so I don't feel like I got ripped off.

Now, if my laptop had been $2,000 instead of $1,100 we'd be having a different conversation.
    network_sig2.png
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    my old asus gaming laptop came with a phenomenal (like $150) backpack for free with some promo code that seems to be woven with kevlar, and I use it for my laptop now and it makes lugging a desktop replacement around super easy. Even tough I haven't traveled for work in years, my agency is technically very travel centric, and when this gig ends, if I stay with the agency, I may be traveling 3 months out of the year, so a laptop with some power, to me, is literally a basic living expense.
    Ludious on
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
    stop talking about macs vs pcs its a dumb chat topic it happens all the time its dumb stop it
    i spilled coffee on my sleeve and then i had to wash it off so now i have a soggy sleeve
    am I really the only fucker that doesn't mind paying taxes? I feel like that around here. Even though most of my state doesn't and they all bitch about it.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    @syndalis Today's Wrap-Up Show is out of this world, don't miss it.

Got it - I am at the beach, but I have ways of pulling it in.

Will listen for sure.
    meat.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Spool I thought you were going to start a company or something

Man I have so many irons in the fire right now. Pre-planning a software app to possibly kickstart. Doing fact-finding + business plan writing for a possible gaming / restaurant business. Writing for Bare Mettle. Character sketches for my own project. Looking for a new FT job....

Something is going to fucking click. It better fucking click.

You make Mama Rand proud, Spool! What's the gaming/restaurant business?

Wondering if there is a market for a classy joint with good food and space for RPG / tabletop games. Somewhere that doesn't scream neckbeards and folding tables, with a paid staff to assist in setup or even DM an adventure.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VS248HP#specifications

it looks like my monitor has VESA Wall Mounting : 100x100mm

so I can get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994001 and attach it to the back, yeah?

that replacment stand doesn't look much more stable than the one I have :i

-"donkey kong"

Just get wall mounts, a decent arm mount is about the same price or cheaper than that and will be rock solid, as long as you don't mind drilling into your wall.

one of the guys in IT just gave me an extra dell stand that he had laying around

it seems a lot sturdier than my stock stand

I think I just need to get a vesa plate for it to try it out
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    am I really the only fucker that doesn't mind paying taxes? I feel like that around here. Even though most of my state doesn't and they all bitch about it.

i'm fine with it

my parents bitch endlessly about it though
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    So a local gated community that was built partially inside a town now wants to not pay taxes to that town. They think that instead of them paying taxes, the school and churches in the area should have to pay these taxes. It would be the "christian" thing to do.

I have never wanted to burn that place to the ground more.

Actually, Churches paying taxes would literally be the Christian thing to do, and I think tax exempt status is bullshit for a lot of these mega churches.

Render unto Caesar etc.

It's not a mega church, it's a 125 year old abbey and monastery that is the entire reason this town exists.

I am not warmed to the idea that rich fuckers from Minnesota should get out of the taxes they signed up for because it would be the "christian" thing for other people to pay their taxes for them.

I'm sorry, I didn't really finish my thought. They are clearly using some twisted logic to get out of paying taxes and they damn well should pay. Honestly, the most fair thing to do would be only make the people whose property lies within the city limits pay.

And they can bitch all they want, I can't imagine that the law is on their side at all.

That's all that happens! The people whose homes are outside of the city limits don't have to pay city taxes.

It is as fair as it can be. They're just entitled pricks. This being Florida, I am worried that while the law is not on their side, their pocketbooks are.

What's the links to the facts if all this? City taxes are awful to collect, and my city has one of the highest rates in he nation, but they kinda regulate themselves until something completely obliterates their base, so they look for a new source to fill the hole (like the real estate bubble for property taxes in Florida/Nevada. Having no state income tax isn't so great now, huh?)
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    I'm fine with paying taxes because I'm aware of how much I am benefiting by contributing.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    All of chat just love that I life in the pinkest city in Southern California. We have free buses! :oops:
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I have forty fucking thousand dollars in tax credits.

I'm not paying taxes for a looooooooooooooooooong time.

*guiltily shuffles past poor people*
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Business plan is easy.

"We provide food and let people play video games. In return, they give us money."

You're welcome, spool, I will take 5% of all gross profits as payment for my services.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

Taxes pay for things like clean water and schools and cops and carpet bombing countries I don't like.

What's not to love?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

Nah, I love paying taxes, for a few reasons:

1) All the free stuff I get because of them!

2) I was just gonna waste that money anyway.

3) Greater good, together everyone achieves more, etc.
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    maybe I should wall mount it

This fruit hangs low.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    so i am getting married on saturday

and this entire week people at work have been coming up to me while i'm trying to work and doing the whole "there's still time!"/"it's not too late!"/"we can have you in mexico in four hours!" type jokes and i am getting sick of it

i am actually excited to get married, fucking imagine that

that is why i asked her to marry me you jackasses

My best man did that shit right up to the moment the processional music played and it a) really upset my wife, and b) also really upset me.

It's fucking bullshit dude. You should tell those people with a straight face that you're looking forward to it and maybe they ought to stop projecting their fear of commitment onto you.

Because people who do that are basically cowards who can't commit to adult life and get the baby shivers when they see real men walk past with gorgeous capable women on their arms and matching rings on their fingers.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    my old asus gaming laptop came with a phenomenal (like $150) backpack for free with some promo code that seems to be woven with kevlar, and I use it for my laptop now and it makes lugging a desktop replacement around super easy. Even tough I haven't traveled for work in years, my agency is technically very travel centric, and when this gig ends, if I stay with the agency, I may be traveling 3 months out of the year, so a laptop with some power, to me, is literally a basic living expense.

I used to go to campus with a gym bag, because I didn't wanna buy a new backpack (and because I thought I didn't like backpacks period). My MBP always felt really heavy when I was carrying it around in that. Invested in an $85 Swiss Army backpack this semester, though, and I can barely tell my laptop is in there when I've got it on. It was definitely a good decision.

Also apparently it has a 180° opening flap where the laptop sleeve is, so I don't have to take my laptop out of my bag at the airport. Be nice to test that out this fall.
    network_sig2.png

Taxes pay for things like clean water and schools and cops and carpet bombing countries I don't like.

What's not to love?

The cops, obviously!
    Now that's not to say that the tax system isn't skewed to heavily on the middle class, because it is, but taxes are the price we pay for living in civilization.
    Lh96QHG.png
    @gooey

have a gooey time are your wedding

gooey

i had dreams about weddings cuz i visited a recently engaged friend and another friend who is soon to be engaged and there was a lot of wedding talk
    my dream was that my friend's fiancee told me that i wasn't invited to the wedding because there was no room

it was a sad dream
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Spool I thought you were going to start a company or something

Man I have so many irons in the fire right now. Pre-planning a software app to possibly kickstart. Doing fact-finding + business plan writing for a possible gaming / restaurant business. Writing for Bare Mettle. Character sketches for my own project. Looking for a new FT job....

Something is going to fucking click. It better fucking click.

You make Mama Rand proud, Spool! What's the gaming/restaurant business?

Wondering if there is a market for a classy joint with good food and space for RPG / tabletop games. Somewhere that doesn't scream neckbeards and folding tables, with a paid staff to assist in setup or even DM an adventure.

Hmm, I wish you luck. I've never seen anything, but losses related to tabletop gaming (outside of gambling). If there's a city that'll give it it's best chance, Id say Austin is probably it, and you definitely have a good chance at success with all your inroads I'm sure.

This just pie in the sky phase or you look at spaces/get an idea of hourly needed startup moneys?
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

and this entire week people at work have been coming up to me while i'm trying to work and doing the whole "there's still time!"/"it's not too late!"/"we can have you in mexico in four hours!" type jokes and i am getting sick of it

My best man did that shit right up to the moment the processional music played and it a) really upset my wife, and b) also really upset me.

It's fucking bullshit dude. You should tell those people with a straight face that you're looking forward to it and maybe they ought to stop projecting their fear of commitment onto you.

Because people who do that are basically cowards who can't commit to adult life and get the baby shivers when they see real men walk past with gorgeous capable women on their arms and matching rings on their fingers.

Wait

Are the rings supposed to match?

Man I was really bad at the whole almost-getting-married thing.

@Gooey Congratulations! I will say this at least once more before Saturday. probably. :D
    I don't think there's a phone in the market, Apple or otherwise, that I won't hate at least a little bit right now. I want to use my phone all day, never have to plug into a thing, and only charge it when my day is done. Maybe I should make the size/weight sacrafice and get a Mophie.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    That fuckin blows Gooey

The female side of it is WOAH WE HAVE A BRIDEZILLA ON OUR HANDS, THIS GIRL IS OUT OF CONTROL HAHA, AARON YOU'D BETTER GET USED TO NOT HAVING A SAY, JUST LET HER HAVE HER WAY OR SHE'LL GO CRAAAZY LOL
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular

this is apparently a thing that will happen

it specifically has bothered all of the guys I've known to get married

It's weird to agree so strongly with parts of a post and disagree so strongly with others.
    yeah I get that a lot. I also get sad looks when I tell people I've been married since 21.

Look, for starters I love my wife. Secondly, no, I didn't get a lot of mad trim or anything like that. But I'm not that guy anyway. Honestly, had I not met my wife, I'd probably be a single neckbeard. It's not like I'd be out there laying it down. Also, I hate relationship drama. I hate petty bitch drama (I apply that term to both male and females), and literally ever other relationship I see, with very fucking few exceptions, is full of petty bullshit.

I think this is almost a case of reverse discrimination. If you're not a polyamorous field player, YOU must be broken. How about some people are into monogamy and some aren't? It's almost like sexual proclivity can't be put in a box!
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I do not like the act of paying taxes. I'm literally giving up money! I don't like giving up money!

However, I like having a functioning government. I like seeing money go into welfare and research and infrastructure. I know paying taxes is a necessary part of it. Hell, I wish the government would take more!

So when I say I don't like paying taxes, I'm just talking about the giving money portion. I pay more than $15k/year in taxes, and I wish I had that as cash in my pocket, but I like the system as a whole.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

HAHAHAHA GUYS DON'T YOU HATE COMMITMENT

WE ALL KNOW MARRIAGE IS JUST A WAY TO MAKE SURE WE HAVE A SHOT AT SEX EVEN WHEN WE'RE OLD AND GROSS HAHAHA

fuck that

congratulations gooey, I'm sure you'll have a great time

it will be the drop of your life
    20130515.png
    i've only met my friend's fiancee a few times because they were in boston for a while and now DC

she has seemed cold sometimes but i spent more time with them this weekend and she's nice

i like them

that's my first like, kinda close friend to be engaged, not counting a family friend a year older who is more like family or another guy from school who is a muslim dude from africa who i was friends with but not super close (but enough that i was invited to the reception)

is a bit weird

this whole people getting married thing

most of my friends aren't even dating anyone

i'm sure that'll be different in 3 years

http://www.theonion.com/articles/29yearold-has-been-going-to-different-friends-wedd,32380/?ref=auto
    29-Year-Old Has Been Going To Different Friend's Wedding Every Weekend For Past 3 Years

it begins.........
This discussion has been closed.