Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Also being married long term (in this case, due to modifiers, long term is >1 year) and not having kids brings on a whole new set of ridicule.

When are you having a baby, why no baby yet, are you and your wife having trouble conceiving, you know there are options for fertility, don't you want to have kids, are there problems in the bedroom, the lord said to be fruitful and multiply, you know birth control can cause abortions...
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    thanks for the congrats and stuff bros and broettes

Oh yeah, congrats and stuff.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Spool I thought you were going to start a company or something

Man I have so many irons in the fire right now. Pre-planning a software app to possibly kickstart. Doing fact-finding + business plan writing for a possible gaming / restaurant business. Writing for Bare Mettle. Character sketches for my own project. Looking for a new FT job....

Something is going to fucking click. It better fucking click.

You make Mama Rand proud, Spool! What's the gaming/restaurant business?

Wondering if there is a market for a classy joint with good food and space for RPG / tabletop games. Somewhere that doesn't scream neckbeards and folding tables, with a paid staff to assist in setup or even DM an adventure.

Hmm, I wish you luck. I've never seen anything, but losses related to tabletop gaming (outside of gambling). If there's a city that'll give it it's best chance, Id say Austin is probably it, and you definitely have a good chance at success with all your inroads I'm sure.

This just pie in the sky phase or you look at spaces/get an idea of hourly needed startup moneys?

Past fantasizing and into "market research". I wanna know if there's a real market here before I start sinking time into putting a solid plan together and trying to attract investors. The idea is that there are a lot of folks out there who like to game, but don't like the "scene" you get in the back of a comic store. That with a quality establishment serving real food, with a staff able to take the edge off gaming, help people get to the fun, and toss out the Francis table-flippers, that there's money to be made.

A place for adults who like act like adults while they game.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I've been with my wife since I was 20, we got married at 23

I used to get some comments about how we got married so young! but no one really says that anymore
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shiv, spool isn't calling everyone who doesn't want to get married a coward. He's calling people who are so terrified of how someone else lives their life that they make fun of them for it a coward.

Nah, I agree with them being cowards and etc. It was mostly the mixing of "real men" "capable gorgeous women" and "marriage" in a way that seems kind of inseparable.

Basically any time I see the phrase "real X", where X is some gender, it's pretty likely I'll disagree with some of the content or implication.

A real woman or a real man, in this case, is just someone who respects others decisions and doesn't those decisions bother them so. Look, there's a thousand things you go through I will never experience. But as a married man, I can tell you, there is a level of mistreatment you receive, and even othering, for being a married man.

It's one thing to be afraid of marriage, or even outright disagree with it. It's quite another to be nearly shamed for "making that mistake"

Sorry, I am probably being unclear. Because I agree with everything you're saying! And I can see that you'd be mistreated and othered for being married, I don't disagree at all. It's pretty obvious and pretty dumb.

People are dumb is my point.

at 21 you will be othered for being married

at a certain point past 26 or so a switch flips and suddenly you're a jackass for not being married

like OH MY GOD he/she's 25 and single, he/she must have a basement full of pickled bodyparts

Jesus is that what people think?

THEY AREN'T PICKLED, THAT'S FORMALDEHYDE
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I guess with cops I'm more likely to be beat up or raped? Getting killed is a random person thing.

It all depends on what part of the country you're in!

Actually it mostly depends on skin color.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually. I'll think "man, thank god I'm white" sometimes when I realize how many benefits I get. It's just an idle thought. But when I think about that and specifically how it interacts with being trans, I get physically nauseous.

I'm not aware of a group of people more likely to be murdered than brown trans people.

?

Is there something about ethnic trans people that makes them objectivly "worse" to bigots?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Damnit, tricked again.

Saw a meeting that I thought was called "Meeting with Diplo"

Damn you Dipto!
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    no woman ain't ever gonna tie me down

i gots to play the field, man
    Per3th.jpg
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    But as a married man, I can tell you, there is a level of mistreatment you receive, and even othering, for being a married man.
    How hard it must be to be a married guy. Oh, woe are they who have found someone to love and cherish.

Almost as hard a life as being beautiful, I imagine.
  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    In my circle of friends and contacts, I'm the only person I know who isn't engaged or married, save one who has been divorced and has a kid from it.

I'm so glad I am not being given any shit about this. Not even from my parents!

I think my parents have given up on me bringing them grand kids, or even getting married.
    Thankfully they are four more siblings so odds are they'll get those events from them, otherwise I'd probably be experiencing a degree of meddling in my affairs I've not had to tolerate since I was about sixteen.

sig.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

You're missing out. Tied-down sex play is the best.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    Elendil wrote: »

i gots to play the field, man

Preach it bro, playa4life
    sigh...

I used to get some comments about how we got married so young! but no one really says that anymore

Same. Now, it's just a math test we get to inflict on people.

"She just turned 39"
    "Coming up on 18 years married!"
    "Oldest daughter is 17."

*waits*

The slowly dawning realization that we had a child at age 21 just makes me think "man, this whole subtraction thing has really thrown you for a loop hasn't it?"
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Past fantasizing and into "market research". I wanna know if there's a real market here before I start sinking time into putting a solid plan together and trying to attract investors. The idea is that there are a lot of folks out there who like to game, but don't like the "scene" you get in the back of a comic store. That with a quality establishment serving real food, with a staff able to take the edge off gaming, help people get to the fun, and toss out the Francis table-flippers, that there's money to be made.

ALSO you may want to consider free competition

when I first moved here, I went to a video game thing at a local applebees or something with dr mario kart where the restaurant let them all bring in computers and ps3s and shit and hook them up to TVs on like a tuesday, just to get the little bump in business from gamers buying apps and beers or whatever

and I also went to a board game night meetup at a local pizza place that was basically the same idea, people came to play board games and the restaurant hosted to get some extra revenue on a slow night

so you should take that into account when researching : )
    I guess with cops I'm more likely to be beat up or raped? Getting killed is a random person thing.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually. I'll think "man, thank god I'm white" sometimes when I realize how many benefits I get. It's just an idle thought. But when I think about that and specifically how it interacts with being trans, I get physically nauseous.

I'm not aware of a group of people more likely to be murdered than brown trans people.

?

Is there something about ethnic trans people that makes them objectivly "worse" to bigots?

No, it's just that particular intersection is gruesome and has body parts hanging from the stoplights.

Like it makes me feel guilty to complain about trans issues, because at least I'm not brown too.

Apparently about 87% of anti-queer murders are people of color.

It's a terrible, gruesome thing. But also.. I think most of the murders are probably people of the same race? So it's really complex.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    From the office social club:
    Due to the popularity of the [Washington Nationals baseball] Game ... limited seats are available – be sure to RSVP as soon as possible to receive your tickets.

Yeah, judging by the other Nats games I've been to, I call bullshit on that.
    Damn you, Applebees!

Is there no food-related idea you cannot ruin?
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Just finished setting up our next student orientation. Gotta get them enrollment numbers up

I made the most awesome sammich for lunch.
    publix premium roast beef, boar's head imported swiss, publix mayo and deli-style mustard, dill chips (Because the jar was bigger than the bread and butter jar), on publix deli baked mountain wheat bread.

with a side box of raisins and an oatmeal cookie.

om nom nom nom
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

wife and i still get told we look too young to have kid(s), too young to be married, etc etc

it's probably the only thing that gets me semi-riled up because it's impossible to say something like that without an undercurrent of lifestyle judgement

so sorry i didnt follow your proscribed life plan
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    From my high school friends, one is married with two kids and one has a kid and has a common law wife. One is like me single and no kids and he is going to school to be a teacher.

From college, two of my roommates are married. One has two kids and one has a daughter. The one with two kids is on his second marriage but had no kids in that first marriage it lasted like 6 months. Most of the rest have girlfriends but really nothing about marriage and stuff.

From Japan some of the Japanese I know are married now but not so much the folks from outside Japan.

In grad school there are a few folks married. Most though aren't even planning on it because they are shipping themselves to the far corners of the world to research or run development programs or work for the CIA and stuff.
    falasig.png
    Due to the popularity of the [Washington Nationals baseball] Game ... limited seats are available – be sure to RSVP as soon as possible to receive your tickets.

Yeah, we just did a big thing at a local ball game where they rented out a box or some such. A couple days before the RSVP deadline they were like, pls, more people, come, pls.
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Man I have so many irons in the fire right now. Pre-planning a software app to possibly kickstart. Doing fact-finding + business plan writing for a possible gaming / restaurant business. Writing for Bare Mettle. Character sketches for my own project. Looking for a new FT job....

Wondering if there is a market for a classy joint with good food and space for RPG / tabletop games. Somewhere that doesn't scream neckbeards and folding tables, with a paid staff to assist in setup or even DM an adventure.

Hmm, I wish you luck. I've never seen anything, but losses related to tabletop gaming (outside of gambling). If there's a city that'll give it it's best chance, Id say Austin is probably it, and you definitely have a good chance at success with all your inroads I'm sure.

This just pie in the sky phase or you look at spaces/get an idea of hourly needed startup moneys?

This thing exists. Local (to me, ish) businesses, Cafe Mox and AFK Tavern. (Google will find 'em.)
    Bethryn wrote: »
    But as a married man, I can tell you, there is a level of mistreatment you receive, and even othering, for being a married man.
    How hard it must be to be a married guy. Oh, woe are they who have found someone to love and cherish.

As a fellow bitter singlton, coming across a little bitter there brah.
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Super real talk that might make people uncomfortable:

Westboro Baptist Church aint got shit on abusing homosexuals when compared to what happens in a black community.

It ends in violence 99.9% of the time.
    I wanted to save my friend from being married because he openly admitted he grabbed the first girl he could because he's scared of dying alone. That's not a healthy attitude to take and a big disservice to his wife.

wife and i still get told we look too young to have kid(s), too young to be married, etc etc

it's probably the only thing that gets me semi-riled up because it's impossible to say something like that without an undercurrent of lifestyle judgement

If you aren't exactly median there is something wrong with you -_-

?

No, it's just that particular intersection is gruesome and has body parts hanging from the stoplights.

Like it makes me feel guilty to complain about trans issues, because at least I'm not brown too.

It's a terrible, gruesome thing. But also.. I think most of the murders are probably people of the same race? So it's really complex.

culture clash i guess
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    in my experience at least, most adults that I'd want to hang with won't make a big deal about your life situation

like we are all friends here, don't worry about being a third wheel or make a big deal about me bringing my kid along

and the reverse is true, I'm happy to go hang out with a group of single folks and it won't make any difference to anyone's enjoyment
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular

Actually, I'm really looking at the very silly use of "mistreatment" and "othering".

Like no, you really are not othered in any meaningful sense as a married guy; even a young married guy.

It's exactly along the lines of "oh, it's so hard to be pretty!"

?

culture clash i guess

It's a combination of things, but Ludious is right ><
    dporowski wrote: »

This thing exists. Local (to me, ish) businesses, Cafe Mox and AFK Tavern. (Google will find 'em.)

Fuck Yes, Business Model Validation!

That is p excellent. :)
    edited May 2013
    Super real talk that might make people uncomfortable:

Westboro Baptist Church aint got shit on abusing homosexuals when compared to what happens in a black community.

It ends in violence 99.9% of the time.

i suspect that has a lot more to do with the high percentage of black people being poor/have crappy education than anything else

i bet a trans person wouldn't go down too well in a white trash trailer park either
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

Actually, I'm really looking at the very silly use of "mistreatment" and "othering".

Like no, you really are not othered in any meaningful sense as a married guy; even a young married guy.

It's exactly along the lines of "oh, it's so hard to be pretty!"

You really can't see the forest for the trees can you?

Do you have a tumblr?
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

Nats are actually good this year and that tends to increase the crowd.

Also who are they playing? If it is like Boston, New York Yankees or one of the big NL teams like the Cubs(for some reason people still pay to watch them) or Cardinals I bet it will be more crowded.

If it is Houston, well no one wants to watch them in Houston.
    falasig.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

If you aren't exactly median there is something wrong with you -_-

WHY AREN'T YOU CONFORMING THIS IS CAUSING ME TO SECOND GUESS MY WORLDVIEW PLEASE STOP
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    in my experience at least, most adults that I'd want to hang with won't make a big deal about your life situation

like we are all friends here, don't worry about being a third wheel or make a big deal about me bringing my kid along

and the reverse is true, I'm happy to go hang out with a group of single folks and it won't make any difference to anyone's enjoyment

That's cuz most people you want to hang out with are not dumb immature people!

Part of life not being an asshole is accepting that if it doesn't affect you, then whatever! Be happy for them if they're happy and sad if they're sad. Have at least the empathy of a dog, Jesus.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    That fuckin blows Gooey

The female side of it is WOAH WE HAVE A BRIDEZILLA ON OUR HANDS, THIS GIRL IS OUT OF CONTROL HAHA, AARON YOU'D BETTER GET USED TO NOT HAVING A SAY, JUST LET HER HAVE HER WAY OR SHE'LL GO CRAAAZY LOL

haha i have heard that a bunch too

then i tell people that i found the venue, participated in the tasting, chose our first dance music, chose the pastor that's marrying us (my uncle), picked out the tux, helped my fiancee pick colors, helped pick the table linnens and all that crap, and planned the entire honeymoon in secrecy

and i get these weird looks!

this is the gooby and goobette show, dogg

of course there is a bunch of shit that i just do not care about, but that doesn't mean i'm not going to do anything for my own wedding

that certainly isn't fair to her to make her plan the entire thing
    919UOwT.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I went to a Nats game once.
    Never again.
    P10 on

I wonder how much other lifestyle choices affect when people get married.

It seems like quite a few of my high school friends who went straight to the job market after high school are married and/or have kids. They're 23-24 now and have been married for years.

But only two of my college friends are married, a small handful more engaged, and they're around the 22-27 range.
This discussion has been closed.