Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    I've been with my wife since I was 20, we got married at 23

I used to get some comments about how we got married so young! but no one really says that anymore

I wonder how much other lifestyle choices affect when people get married.

It seems like quite a few of my high school friends who went straight to the job market after high school are married and/or have kids. They're 23-24 now and have been married for years.

But only two of my college friends are married, a small handful more engaged, and they're around the 22-27 range.

The number of kids you have goes down exponentially with level of education.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Solo there is a fair bit of talk about exactly that - the tendency of college-educated people to delay or avoid marriage, and why it seems to be happening.

What interests me isn't so much that it happens (I can think of a few reasons) but people's reactions to it. The idea of thinking 23 is a young age to get married, when it's really not. Dunno if it's because people socially segregate themselves and simply don't realize it's common among other groups to get married younger, or if they realize other groups get married younger but assume skippy would follow the trend of the college group.

college-educated, and especially those with a graduate degree, also tend not to associate in a social way with other groups.

The ivory tower is a thing, and I can understand where after all the shit you put yourself through to get a master's degree or a PhD, it would seem odd that someone else might make completely different life choices on purpose and be satisfied with the outcome!

Ivory tower is also overplayed and overstated.

Rarely do I know masters and phd students whose social circle is made up exclusively of people of that level of education.

Most people tend to have friends across educational and socioeconomic lines to a point. This breaks down at the extremes. But those who fall into that middle area tend to know folks from all sections of it.
    falasig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I wonder what a husky/chihuahua looks like.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    college-educated, and especially those with a graduate degree, also tend not to associate in a social way with other groups.

The ivory tower is a thing, and I can understand where after all the shit you put yourself through to get a master's degree or a PhD, it would seem odd that someone else might make completely different life choices on purpose and be satisfied with the outcome!

I wonder if this is true, or if people tend to stratify along socio economic lines

like if dude A is rich and dude B is poor, it can be hard to hang out if A wants to take a weekend trip to go water skiing in fiji and B wants to get a beer during happy hour
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    HOLY FUCK iTUNES THIS IS THE ANGRIEST I'VE BEEN AT A NON-THING IN A VERY LONG TIME
    What's it doing?

what OS and what version of itunes?

I may be able to help.
    meat.jpg
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    HOLY FUCK iTUNES THIS IS THE ANGRIEST I'VE BEEN AT A NON-THING IN A VERY LONG TIME
    What's it doing?

what OS and what version of itunes?

I may be able to help.

My problem has been that every time I want to use it to update my iPod touch, I have to reinstall it.

And this totally works! As long as I have half an hour to deal with that shit every time I want new songs on my iPod. :rotate:

Windows 7, latest version of iTunes.
    BeNarwhal on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Stupid computers.

I don't understand you because I can't eat you.

That's my basis for understanding all things in this world.
  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular

I wonder if this is true, or if people tend to stratify along socio economic lines

like if dude A is rich and dude B is poor, it can be hard to hang out if A wants to take a weekend trip to go water skiing in fiji and B wants to get a beer during happy hour

Well, only speaking from my experience, I have friends that are vastly richer than me (as in, can afford to spend six months in San Fran making metal work sculptures for no pay like a rudderless hippy if they damn well feel like) to those that are much poorer than I am.

What I've found is that people with more money than me tend to come down to my level of expenditure if we want to hang out, and the same for people that have less than I.

I mean if you both want to hang out, then doing what you both can do seems like a better idea then going "hey come to fiji, you can fit in my luggage!"
    sig.gif
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    And re: taxes, I don't mind paying them, it's their application and fairness where I take issue. There's also very many and differed ways of taxation, and I'd say if you're drawing direct correlated benefits from every taxable dollar you proffer, then I wanna live where you live. ;)

Yeah, living in fairie land would be cool.

But that's not how taxes have ever or will ever work. It isn't a 1:1 transfer. But they are doing Things That You Need To Live.

Um, when did I say anything about abolishing taxes or needing a 1:1? I just asked for the facts of that "tax cheat" you were mentioning so I could establish if he was indeed a cheat, imo. I was just referencing all the people saying, "my taxes do good things." Is like saying your tithes do only good things. Part of it also goes to doodling kids/spreading aids in Africa. Except with taxes, you're compelled to give it against jail time.

So, unless you have a pretty strong evidence based claim for someone cheating taxes, I prefer to just assume they're paying their fair share, and let the IRS worry about the enforcement side. Our part is to make sure the tax code the IRS enforces is fair, and that they're bankrolled properly to enforce it.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The situation I am describing is a gated community trying to get out of paying their taxes and make tax-exempt institutions foot the bill instead.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Stupid computers.

There are basically two categories in the world: that consisting of women and food, and everything else.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    omg its another corgi/husky baaaaaby

pLsBJ.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    so i am getting married on saturday

and this entire week people at work have been coming up to me while i'm trying to work and doing the whole "there's still time!"/"it's not too late!"/"we can have you in mexico in four hours!" type jokes and i am getting sick of it

i am actually excited to get married, fucking imagine that

that is why i asked her to marry me you jackasses

@gooey

Just look them in the eyes and say, "I love her so much that if she asked me to, I would twist the bass knob all the way down to zero and then snap it off."

And then just stare at them until they realize how dumb they are.

@desc

i would

let's not go crazy here gooby

when meatloaf said "that," this is what he was talking about

BASS BEFORE ASS
    HerrCron wrote: »

Well, only speaking from my experience, I have friends that are vastly richer than me (as in, can afford to spend six months in San Fran making metal work sculptures for no pay like a rudderless hippy if they damn well feel like) to those that are much poorer than I am.

What I've found is that people with more money than me tend to come down to my level of expenditure if we want to hang out, and the same for people that have less than I.

I mean if you both want to hang out, then doing what you both can do seems like a better idea then going "hey come to fiji, you can fit in my luggage!"

I've had a drastic change in class in my adult life, and still associate with my friends from when I was homeless. If they can't afford to go to a place I wanna go to, either I pay for it, or we change the plans.
    This is also why I'm all about trying to help people see beyond their own problems/encourage them to follow their dreams/don't be bigots.
    edited May 2013
    And re: taxes, I don't mind paying them, it's their application and fairness where I take issue. There's also very many and differed ways of taxation, and I'd say if you're drawing direct correlated benefits from every taxable dollar you proffer, then I wanna live where you live. ;)

But that's not how taxes have ever or will ever work. It isn't a 1:1 transfer. But they are doing Things That You Need To Live.

Um, when did I say anything about abolishing taxes or needing a 1:1? I just asked for the facts of that "tax cheat" you were mentioning so I could establish if he was indeed a cheat, imo. I was just referencing all the people saying, "my taxes do good things." Is like saying your tithes do only good things. Part of it also goes to doodling kids/spreading aids in Africa. Except with taxes, you're compelled to give it against jail time.

So, unless you have a pretty strong evidence based claim for someone cheating taxes, I prefer to just assume they're paying their fair share, and let the IRS worry about the enforcement side. Our part is to make sure the tax code the IRS enforces is fair, and that they're bankrolled properly to enforce it.

The situation I am describing is a gated community trying to get out of paying their taxes and make tax-exempt institutions foot the bill instead.

Yes, and I said link? Then you went on about something something me being anti-taxes and not wanting to pay my fair share of all the good the government has done for me.
    MadCaddy on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    mag-19microbiome-t_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

this is from the michael pollan nytimes magazine article about how we're made up of 100 trillion microorganisms
    which is interesting but i just wanted to post this muddy babby
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    Stupid computers.

So, are you a master of the vag then, or just GED for being close enough?
    edited May 2013
    Nothing to see here, but my double post.
    MadCaddy on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Corgi ladies be getting around.
    HerrCron wrote: »

-_-

fiji or bust
    take a bath you baby!
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    no skippy

u gotta get your babby dirty

so it gets all the good bacteria and builds up its immunity

dats why the babby is dirty
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Yes, and I said link? Then you went on about something something me being anti-taxes and not wanting to pay my fair share of all the good the government has done for me.

Well, no, I didn't say you were antitaxes at all. You seem to be injecting a lot of things into the pretty clear cut situation.

Gated community is built in a town, it expands out of the town into the county. The houses in town don't want to pay taxes so they start a campaign to get out of their taxes and make local churches and schools foot the bill instead.

And I'm not linking a story about my local area because I don't frankly want to broadcast where exactly in Florida I live.
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Stupid computers.

There are basically two categories in the world: that consisting of women and food, and everything else.

Yeah, my knowledge is pretty well entirely restricted to the former!
    Stupid computers.

So, are you a master of the vag then, or just GED for being close enough?

:winky:
    BeNarwhal on
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    cass they aren't called babies

they're called puppies

this is an important distinction i hope you know that
    919UOwT.png
    Oh really, iTunes

You're gonna list every song as you "discover" them again

All 3000 of them

Nah that's fine, I didn't have any plans
    Stupid computers.

For some reason I'm having trouble responding to this post without making a programming joke.

halp

am broke
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I'm not even really realist

I'm just pretending to be for the thread
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Dktqj.jpg < A corgi and a german shepard had a baaaaaaby

C4NLaSD.jpg < a corgi and a husky had a baaaaaaaaaaby

ABOMINATIONS OF A PURE BLOODLINE

Alt post: Oh I see how it is, I post that picture 2 weeks ago and no fucker gives a shit but Cass posts it and she gets all the awesomes.

IT'S JUST A GOD DAMN POPULARITY CONTEST WITH YOU PEOPLE ISN'T IT?

*runs into the bathroom crying*
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    no woman ain't ever gonna tie me down

You're missing out. Tied-down sex play is the best.

I swear to god, when I look at a picture of you "Tied-down sex play" is not something I'd think you'd be in to!

I learn something new everyday.

Well, no, I didn't say you were antitaxes at all. You seem to be injecting a lot of things into the pretty clear cut situation.

Gated community is built in a town, it expands out of the town into the county. The houses in town don't want to pay taxes so they start a campaign to get out of their taxes and make local churches and schools foot the bill instead.

And I'm not linking a story about my local area because I don't frankly want to broadcast where exactly in Florida I live.

:rotate:
    Stupid computers.

For some reason I'm having trouble responding to this post without making a programming joke.

halp

am broke

I told you

You became computer last night

Is okay

We love you, computer-Shivahn
    Casual, come on out. Look, I got you a doggie treat!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    If anyone wants Shogun 2 total war for 75% off for some reason, I have a steam thing to do just that now.
    xlh6c3.png
    Mim wrote: »

I swear to god, when I look at a picture of you "Tied-down sex play" is not something I'd think you'd be in to!

Really? When I met Richy that one time, the first thing I thought was, "I think ... I think this dude wants me to tie him down on my bed!"

But what I said was, "Hey, nice to meet you!"

Good cover.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Stupid computers.

ITT: Shivahn has Kluver-Bucy
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    cass they aren't called babies

they're called puppies

this is an important distinction i hope you know that

No, they're greabies.

GREATER THAN BABIES.
    OK Shivahn

(my new album)
    Stupid computers.

halp

am broke

I told you

You became computer last night

Is okay

We love you, computer-Shivahn

You'd better love me cuz otherwise when I fuse with Skynet things will get ugly.
    Mim wrote: »

Really? When I met Richy that one time, the first thing I thought was, "I think ... I think this dude wants me to tie him down on my bed!"

But what I said was, "Hey, nice to meet you!"

Good cover.

You've met Richy?! Oh yeah, you guys had a little [chat] meet up, right? All the Canadians?
This discussion has been closed.