Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    so i am getting married on saturday

and this entire week people at work have been coming up to me while i'm trying to work and doing the whole "there's still time!"/"it's not too late!"/"we can have you in mexico in four hours!" type jokes and i am getting sick of it

i am actually excited to get married, fucking imagine that

that is why i asked her to marry me you jackasses

@gooey

Just look them in the eyes and say, "I love her so much that if she asked me to, I would twist the bass knob all the way down to zero and then snap it off."

And then just stare at them until they realize how dumb they are.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    But as a married man, I can tell you, there is a level of mistreatment you receive, and even othering, for being a married man.
    How hard it must be to be a married guy. Oh, woe are they who have found someone to love and cherish.

Almost as hard a life as being beautiful, I imagine.

As a fellow bitter singlton, coming across a little bitter there brah.
    Actually, I'm really looking at the very silly use of "mistreatment" and "othering".

Like no, you really are not othered in any meaningful sense as a married guy; even a young married guy.

It's exactly along the lines of "oh, it's so hard to be pretty!"

it's probably time for my "everything sucks and everyone has problems" rant

suffice to say, as much as i get shit piled on me for being single at my age, i can believe i would also be getting shit piled on me if i wasn't

because shit makes the world go round
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I've been with my wife since I was 20, we got married at 23

I used to get some comments about how we got married so young! but no one really says that anymore

wife and i still get told we look too young to have kid(s), too young to be married, etc etc

it's probably the only thing that gets me semi-riled up because it's impossible to say something like that without an undercurrent of lifestyle judgement

so sorry i didnt follow your proscribed life plan

If you aren't exactly median there is something wrong with you -_-

WHY AREN'T YOU CONFORMING THIS IS CAUSING ME TO SECOND GUESS MY WORLDVIEW PLEASE STOP

Making people second guess their worldview is like cocaine to me.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

and this entire week people at work have been coming up to me while i'm trying to work and doing the whole "there's still time!"/"it's not too late!"/"we can have you in mexico in four hours!" type jokes and i am getting sick of it

@gooey

Just look them in the eyes and say, "I love her so much that if she asked me to, I would twist the bass knob all the way down to zero and then snap it off."

Whoa now, that's a little drastic don't you think!
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

I used to get some comments about how we got married so young! but no one really says that anymore

I wonder how much other lifestyle choices affect when people get married.

It seems like quite a few of my high school friends who went straight to the job market after high school are married and/or have kids. They're 23-24 now and have been married for years.

But only two of my college friends are married, a small handful more engaged, and they're around the 22-27 range.

yeah I think population-wide you get higher ages of marriage/first kid as your education level goes up

I suspect it might also be correlated to religious-ness (with more religious folks getting married earlier) but I haven't seen any data on that
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    And re: taxes, I don't mind paying them, it's their application and fairness where I take issue. There's also very many and differed ways of taxation, and I'd say if you're drawing direct correlated benefits from every taxable dollar you proffer, then I wanna live where you live. ;)

Yeah, living in fairie land would be cool.

But that's not how taxes have ever or will ever work. It isn't a 1:1 transfer. But they are doing Things That You Need To Live.

Um, when did I say anything about abolishing taxes or needing a 1:1? I just asked for the facts of that "tax cheat" you were mentioning so I could establish if he was indeed a cheat, imo. I was just referencing all the people saying, "my taxes do good things." Is like saying your tithes do only good things. Part of it also goes to doodling kids/spreading aids in Africa. Except with taxes, you're compelled to give it against jail time.

So, unless you have a pretty strong evidence based claim for someone cheating taxes, I prefer to just assume they're paying their fair share, and let the IRS worry about the enforcement side. Our part is to make sure the tax code the IRS enforces is fair, and that they're bankrolled properly to enforce it.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

@gooey

@desc

i would
    919UOwT.png
    That fuckin blows Gooey

The female side of it is WOAH WE HAVE A BRIDEZILLA ON OUR HANDS, THIS GIRL IS OUT OF CONTROL HAHA, AARON YOU'D BETTER GET USED TO NOT HAVING A SAY, JUST LET HER HAVE HER WAY OR SHE'LL GO CRAAAZY LOL

haha i have heard that a bunch too

then i tell people that i found the venue, participated in the tasting, chose our first dance music, chose the pastor that's marrying us (my uncle), picked out the tux, helped my fiancee pick colors, helped pick the table linnens and all that crap, and planned the entire honeymoon in secrecy

and i get these weird looks!

this is the gooby and goobette show, dogg

of course there is a bunch of shit that i just do not care about, but that doesn't mean i'm not going to do anything for my own wedding

that certainly isn't fair to her to make her plan the entire thing

I am not sure if I ever said congratulations, but congratulations!

This is super cool.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Solo there is a fair bit of talk about exactly that - the tendency of college-educated people to delay or avoid marriage, and why it seems to be happening.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    You really can't see the forest for the trees can you?

Do you have a tumblr?
    I should make one specifically for white married males who complain about being "othered".
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    From the office social club:
    Due to the popularity of the [Washington Nationals baseball] Game ... limited seats are available – be sure to RSVP as soon as possible to receive your tickets.

Yeah, judging by the other Nats games I've been to, I call bullshit on that.

Nats are actually good this year and that tends to increase the crowd.

Also who are they playing? If it is like Boston, New York Yankees or one of the big NL teams like the Cubs(for some reason people still pay to watch them) or Cardinals I bet it will be more crowded.

If it is Houston, well no one wants to watch them in Houston.

They're playing the Rockies.

I've been to a couple of Nats games this year and last, and the cheap seats are NEVER crowded. I understand there are reasons behind only buying a max number of tickets, but popularity is not one of them.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Oh I almost forgot.

Gooey there's still time!
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my favorite thing is that when people want to get to know me i have to be like

no, i'm alone, my job is terrible, and i have zero drive or ambition in life

please be my friend
    Per3th.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

I wonder how much other lifestyle choices affect when people get married.

It seems like quite a few of my high school friends who went straight to the job market after high school are married and/or have kids. They're 23-24 now and have been married for years.

But only two of my college friends are married, a small handful more engaged, and they're around the 22-27 range.

yeah I think population-wide you get higher ages of marriage/first kid as your education level goes up

I suspect it might also be correlated to religious-ness (with more religious folks getting married earlier) but I haven't seen any data on that

Depends on the country.

Fun little fact, average age of marriage in Libya in 2011 was 31 for women and 35 for men. Which is crazy and is tied to education but also to things like bride price and unemployment.

Also you have to remember those women are not out having fun they are mostly stuck at home with the parents till then.
    falasig.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

Do you have a tumblr?
    I should make one specifically for white married males who complain about being "othered".

oh get off it dude

people with privilege in one area of their life can still feel marginalized in another

identities are many-faceted things

I don't think ludious is saying his experience is as difficult as being part of X Y Z downpower group

this is not the oppression olympics

suffice to say, as much as i get shit piled on me for being single at my age, i can believe i would also be getting shit piled on me if i wasn't

Everyone does have problems.

Complaining about being 'othered' for being a married guy fully deserves a #firstworldproblems and a #whiteguyproblems tagging though.

It is - much like spool's huge overreaction to people making bad jokes about getting tied down - a miniscule issue.
    From the office social club:
    Due to the popularity of the [Washington Nationals baseball] Game ... limited seats are available – be sure to RSVP as soon as possible to receive your tickets.

Yeah, judging by the other Nats games I've been to, I call bullshit on that.

Nats are actually good this year and that tends to increase the crowd.

Also who are they playing? If it is like Boston, New York Yankees or one of the big NL teams like the Cubs(for some reason people still pay to watch them) or Cardinals I bet it will be more crowded.

If it is Houston, well no one wants to watch them in Houston.

They're playing the Rockies.

I've been to a couple of Nats games this year and last, and the cheap seats are NEVER crowded. I understand there are reasons behind only buying a max number of tickets, but popularity is not one of them.

Rockies are good right now, kind of. At least we are above .500.

But yeah uh no real reason outside of the Nats being good this year and the company maybe wanting to get the best discount.
    falasig.png
    spool32 wrote: »
    Solo there is a fair bit of talk about exactly that - the tendency of college-educated people to delay or avoid marriage, and why it seems to be happening.

What interests me isn't so much that it happens (I can think of a few reasons) but people's reactions to it. The idea of thinking 23 is a young age to get married, when it's really not. Dunno if it's because people socially segregate themselves and simply don't realize it's common among other groups to get married younger, or if they realize other groups get married younger but assume skippy would follow the trend of the college group.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

Do you have a tumblr?

oh get off it dude

people with privilege in one area of their life can still feel marginalized in another

I don't think ludious is saying his experience is as difficult as being part of X Y Z downpower group

Whenever the oppression olympics come around

I just identify as native again

Works every time

... I'm totally working hard outside. Just need to update a playlist first!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Every marriage has some secrets.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzLVusdiy60
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh I almost forgot.

if i leave now i can be in mexico in four hours!
    919UOwT.png
    also i am discovering that talking about getting married is a good way to farm awesomes

u bunch a suckazzz

Sometimes when I want more awesomes I make up major life events.

I'm not actually going to grad school and I never interviewed with Google. I'm not even a computer guy, I'm a 16 year old McDonalds worker with an addiction to the praise of interneters.

Complaining about being 'othered' for being a married guy fully deserves a #firstworldproblems and a #whiteguyproblems tagging though.

It is - much like spool's huge overreaction to people making bad jokes about getting tied down - a miniscule issue.

Ahh context the key to such complaints.

Spool has a legitimate reason to get riled if you have ever heard about his marriage. It was a clusterfuck and that best man was a dick to him and his wife. But hey who needs context about why things push people's buttons right?

Or Lud who is in the South comes from a very messed up family life and found happiness at a young age with his wife. But still puts up with a lot of crap from his family and from those around him because he isn't conformed to standards.

This really is trying to put down people who have had issues based around these things in their life because they aren't part of a minority group.

Get off thy high horse.
    falasig.png
  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular
    also i am discovering that talking about getting married is a good way to farm awesomes

u bunch a suckazzz

I have never been more interested in getting married than I am right now.

sig.gif
    Plenty of things suck in life that shouldn't.

I don't think pointing that out is bad?

I mean something crappy happened to gooey cuz people are shitty. Then Ludious said "yeah actually this kind of thing happens sometimes."

And it is crappy and we should realize that! Like, no one's saying "stop sending aid to Africa, use the money to combat anti-marriage jokes." And I think everyone recognizes that there are a lot of shitty things that are way shittier than people being dicks about weddings. But that doesn't mean those people aren't being dicks or that they don't deserve censure.

Basically everyone has problems; they're not nearly equal in magnitude, but they're still worth considering and addressing, especially if the consideration is "just don't be a dick to people."
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh I almost forgot.

if i leave now i can be in mexico in four hours!

That's exactly where they'd expect you to go, about 20 and we can have you in Canada.

ITT we learn that if you're white you're not allowed to have identity-related problems with society.

Fascinating. I wish someone had told the jocks and cheerleaders that when I was in high school.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

u bunch a suckazzz

I've noted very specific things that get awesomes.

Sometimes I'm super surprised though. Like either a throwaway joke or a post that's basically "So I had a pretty interesting thing happen" get crazy awesomes.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    So our marketing director feels that she has the duty to mentor the female interns. If they want this or not. Except this year the interns are under me, so she has decided she is going to bring me all of the unwanted helpful advice to me. Which today was about skirt length. Both female interns wore skirts into the office today. They seem to sometimes do that. Assuming it passes the "Can this be confused for clubwear test" then I don't really track their hemlines. But the marketing director insists that both of them are wearing skirts that are too short. So I go check. At the knee and right above the knee respectively. And I check the employee handbook to see if our dress code was written in the Victorian age. And it's not. Our 70 year old HR lady set the appropriate length as no shorter then an inch and a half above the knee. Which seems a bit old school but both women have an inch and a half of slack at least there.

Back to the marketing director I go. I explain to her that both women have skirts that exceed the length requirements in the employee handbook. I'm not going to yell at either of them for this. She insists I do. That the interns are not looking professional enough. Now today in our office two inside sales people are wearing graphic tees. I'm wearing jeans. If anything the interns are classing up the joint. So this discussion goes back and forth until my boss get involved and he uses the ancient management judo technique of set up a meeting then reschedule till it's forgotten. Ugh.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Do you have a tumblr?

oh get off it dude

Works every time

I can identify as Native American and Jewish.

Come at me bro.
    falasig.png
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Do you have a tumblr?

oh get off it dude

Works every time

I can identify as Native American and Jewish.

Come at me bro.

I can also identify as Native American and Jewish.

But I don't, because that would be lying.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    @ludious has clearly been on the downlow.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

What interests me isn't so much that it happens (I can think of a few reasons) but people's reactions to it. The idea of thinking 23 is a young age to get married, when it's really not. Dunno if it's because people socially segregate themselves and simply don't realize it's common among other groups to get married younger, or if they realize other groups get married younger but assume skippy would follow the trend of the college group.

college-educated, and especially those with a graduate degree, also tend not to associate in a social way with other groups.

The ivory tower is a thing, and I can understand where after all the shit you put yourself through to get a master's degree or a PhD, it would seem odd that someone else might make completely different life choices on purpose and be satisfied with the outcome!
    I'm like

part Italian

and part Irish

If it were the 1870s I'd probably have more of a leg to stand on.
    Ahh context the key to such complaints.

Spool has a legitimate reason to get riled if you have ever heard about his marriage. It was a clusterfuck and that best man was a dick to him and his wife. But hey who needs context about why things push people's buttons right?

Or Lud who is in the South comes from a very messed up family life and found happiness at a young age with his wife. But still puts up with a lot of crap from his family and from those around him because he isn't conformed to standards.

This really is trying to put down people who have had issues based around these things in their life because they aren't part of a minority group.

Get off thy high horse.
    They. Still. Aren't. Othered.

It's not hard to grasp, and it's not a high horse; it's not even about being a minority or not at its core.

They can have had a whole cadre of personal arseholes in their life (who doesn't?), but it's not, in any way, shape or form, an endemic problem with social opinions on being a married guy.

college-educated, and especially those with a graduate degree, also tend not to associate in a social way with other groups.

The ivory tower is a thing, and I can understand where after all the shit you put yourself through to get a master's degree or a PhD, it would seem odd that someone else might make completely different life choices on purpose and be satisfied with the outcome!

I really hope the ivory tower has like cookies and shit.
    So, I currently work at a help desk. I'm not one of the actual help deskers, I'm doing some various technical odd jobs for them while I prepare to leave the company. But I do still have access to the agent board where I can see how many people are waiting for help.

Someone's been on hold for fifty minutes waiting for help. Ouch! That's gotta be a pretty shitty lunch break.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    HOLY FUCK iTUNES THIS IS THE ANGRIEST I'VE BEEN AT A NON-THING IN A VERY LONG TIME
This discussion has been closed.