Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Hey look at that, I finished all my meetings and most urgent work for today, and it's not even lunch yet. Yay me!
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    so i am getting married on saturday

and this entire week people at work have been coming up to me while i'm trying to work and doing the whole "there's still time!"/"it's not too late!"/"we can have you in mexico in four hours!" type jokes and i am getting sick of it

i am actually excited to get married, fucking imagine that

that is why i asked her to marry me you jackasses

this is apparently a thing that will happen

it specifically has bothered all of the guys I've known to get married

It's so clearly dumb.

Like yeah actually I'm not being forced to get married. That's why I'm doing it. Is there a red dot on me somewhere? Cuz that's the only time I can imagine being a dick about this or joking about stopping it wouldn't be horrifically dumb and I hate you.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    am I really the only fucker that doesn't mind paying taxes? I feel like that around here. Even though most of my state doesn't and they all bitch about it.

Taxes pay for things like clean water and schools and cops and carpet bombing countries I don't like.

What's not to love?

The cops, obviously!

Shivanatos?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Shiv, spool isn't calling everyone who doesn't want to get married a coward. He's calling people who are so terrified of how someone else lives their life that they make fun of them for it a coward.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

and this entire week people at work have been coming up to me while i'm trying to work and doing the whole "there's still time!"/"it's not too late!"/"we can have you in mexico in four hours!" type jokes and i am getting sick of it

My best man did that shit right up to the moment the processional music played and it a) really upset my wife, and b) also really upset me.

It's fucking bullshit dude. You should tell those people with a straight face that you're looking forward to it and maybe they ought to stop projecting their fear of commitment onto you.

Because people who do that are basically cowards who can't commit to adult life and get the baby shivers when they see real men walk past with gorgeous capable women on their arms and matching rings on their fingers.

It's weird to agree so strongly with parts of a post and disagree so strongly with others.

Yeah, I think spool's reasoning is a bit off.

It's a joke. It's certainly a dumb joke, and I understand getting annoyed at it. But they aren't seriously saying that commitment is terrible, and they don't actually expect anyone to ever take them up on the joking offer.
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    Because people who do that are basically cowards who can't commit to adult life and get the baby shivers when they see real men walk past with gorgeous capable women on their arms and matching rings on their fingers.
    Spectacular.
    am I really the only fucker that doesn't mind paying taxes? I feel like that around here. Even though most of my state doesn't and they all bitch about it.

Taxes pay for things like clean water and schools and cops and carpet bombing countries I don't like.

What's not to love?

The cops, obviously!

Shivanatos?

Cops scare me and the stats of cops and trans people is uh

kind of horrific

So..
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

Have you settled on a first dance? You should consider this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSaYQc3z7us
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

My best man did that shit right up to the moment the processional music played and it a) really upset my wife, and b) also really upset me.

It's fucking bullshit dude. You should tell those people with a straight face that you're looking forward to it and maybe they ought to stop projecting their fear of commitment onto you.

It's weird to agree so strongly with parts of a post and disagree so strongly with others.

Yeah, I think spool's reasoning is a bit off.

It's a joke. It's certainly a dumb joke, and I understand getting annoyed at it. But they aren't seriously saying that commitment is terrible, and they don't actually expect anyone to ever take them up on the joking offer.

Plus, you ever try to actually disappear? Ain't easy.

Be even harder to help someone else do it, I imagine.
    Look, as much as I love taking spool to blanket town, You guys are misreading what he said in the most negative light possible.
    Shiv, spool isn't calling everyone who doesn't want to get married a coward. He's calling people who are so terrified of how someone else lives their life that they make fun of them for it a coward.

Nah, I agree with them being cowards and etc. It was mostly the mixing of "real men" "capable gorgeous women" and "marriage" in a way that seems kind of inseparable.

Basically any time I see the phrase "real X", where X is some gender, it's pretty likely I'll disagree with some of the content or implication.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    The cops are out to get us all.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

What's not to love?

The cops, obviously!

Shivanatos?

kind of horrific

So..

BUT

if they don't know you're trans you can show some skin and get out of speeding tickets
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    Casual wrote: »

What's not to love?

The cops, obviously!

Shivanatos?

kind of horrific

So..

BUT

if they don't know you're trans you can show some skin and get out of speeding tickets

This unfortunately is a great way to get killed, in general.

Not even joking a little.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Alright, I've pretended that the rain that was falling earlier is still happening for long enough

Time to get to work

Literally picking up large rocks in one spot, and putting them down in another

I'm p sure this was a form of punishment at some point
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Man, there be some weird total commitment issues in chat this morning.

You all chose the right laptop and/or spouse. <3 :^: ;-)
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Wait

Are the rings supposed to match?

Man I was really bad at the whole almost-getting-married thing.

@Gooey Congratulations! I will say this at least once more before Saturday. probably. :D

heh, not necessarily but it worked for the image I was painting.

Our rings do match though. :)
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    I guess with cops I'm more likely to be beat up or raped? Getting killed is a random person thing.
    All of my friends are in multi-year relationships and have kids. Except me and my best friend.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    edited May 2013

Nah, I agree with them being cowards and etc. It was mostly the mixing of "real men" "capable gorgeous women" and "marriage" in a way that seems kind of inseparable.

Basically any time I see the phrase "real X", where X is some gender, it's pretty likely I'll disagree with some of the content or implication.

A real woman or a real man, in this case, is just someone who respects others decisions and doesn't let those decisions bother them so. Look, there's a thousand things you go through I will never experience. But as a married man, I can tell you, there is a level of mistreatment you receive, and even othering, for being a married man.

It's one thing to be afraid of marriage, or even outright disagree with it. It's quite another to be nearly shamed for "making that mistake"
    Ludious on
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    all real men have 6 penises and are lumberjacks #trufax
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

I get what you're saying, I'm willing to give spool the benefit of doubt that he wasn't making it a gender thing, just a poorly worded argument against bullshit behavior.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    Also, all of my cousins except my brother and I.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif

What's not to love?

The cops, obviously!

Shivanatos?

kind of horrific

So..

BUT

This unfortunately is a great way to get killed, in general.

Not even joking a little.

FTGE
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular
    i've only met my friend's fiancee a few times because they were in boston for a while and now DC

she has seemed cold sometimes but i spent more time with them this weekend and she's nice

i like them

that's my first like, kinda close friend to be engaged, not counting a family friend a year older who is more like family or another guy from school who is a muslim dude from africa who i was friends with but not super close (but enough that i was invited to the reception)

is a bit weird

this whole people getting married thing

most of my friends aren't even dating anyone

i'm sure that'll be different in 3 years

http://www.theonion.com/articles/29yearold-has-been-going-to-different-friends-wedd,32380/?ref=auto
    29-Year-Old Has Been Going To Different Friend's Wedding Every Weekend For Past 3 Years

it begins.........

Yup - I think I've only got two this year, in the UK and Vegas respectively. Thankfully the number of people I know getting hitched is shrinking, due to all the previous weddings.
    Thank fuck.
    sig.gif
    P10 wrote: »
    all real men have 6 penises and are lumberjacks #trufax

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok.
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    And re: taxes, I don't mind paying them, it's their application and fairness where I take issue. There's also very many and differed ways of taxation, and I'd say if you're drawing direct correlated benefits from every taxable dollar you proffer, then I wanna live where you live. ;)
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

What's not to love?

The cops, obviously!

Shivanatos?

kind of horrific

So..

BUT

Just make sure it's not the penis skin.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    7vufs.jpg

i miss my fat babies

i get so lonely without cats to cuddle and hug
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    I guess with cops I'm more likely to be beat up or raped? Getting killed is a random person thing.

It all depends on what part of the country you're in!
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

People bashing marriage brings out the gender normative language in me I guess.

Feel free to substitute a gender appropriate set of pronouns for your baller marriage circumstance! It's all the same to me, really.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

A real woman or a real man, in this case, is just someone who respects others decisions and doesn't those decisions bother them so. Look, there's a thousand things you go through I will never experience. But as a married man, I can tell you, there is a level of mistreatment you receive, and even othering, for being a married man.

It's one thing to be afraid of marriage, or even outright disagree with it. It's quite another to be nearly shamed for "making that mistake"

Sorry, I am probably being unclear. Because I agree with everything you're saying! And I can see that you'd be mistreated and othered for being married, I don't disagree at all. It's pretty obvious and pretty dumb.

People are dumb is my point.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    And re: taxes, I don't mind paying them, it's their application and fairness where I take issue. There's also very many and differed ways of taxation, and I'd say if you're drawing direct correlated benefits from every taxable dollar you proffer, then I wanna live where you live. ;)

Yeah, living in fairie land would be cool.

But that's not how taxes have ever or will ever work. It isn't a 1:1 transfer. But they are doing Things That You Need To Live.
    Lh96QHG.png

People bashing marriage brings out the gender normative language in me I guess.

Feel free to substitute a gender appropriate set of pronouns for your baller marriage circumstance! It's all the same to me, really.

It's cool, I was obviously reading too much into it :P
    living in fairie land would be bullshit. Fairies are assholes.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    In my circle of friends and contacts, I'm the only person I know who isn't engaged or married, save one who has been divorced and has a kid from it.

I'm so glad I am not being given any shit about this. Not even from my parents!
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    thanks for the congrats and stuff bros and broettes
    919UOwT.png
    edited May 2013

A real woman or a real man, in this case, is just someone who respects others decisions and doesn't those decisions bother them so. Look, there's a thousand things you go through I will never experience. But as a married man, I can tell you, there is a level of mistreatment you receive, and even othering, for being a married man.

Sorry, I am probably being unclear. Because I agree with everything you're saying! And I can see that you'd be mistreated and othered for being married, I don't disagree at all. It's pretty obvious and pretty dumb.

People are dumb is my point.

at 21 you will be othered for being married

at a certain point past 26 or so a switch flips and suddenly you're a jackass for not being married

like OH MY GOD he/she's 25 and single, he/she must have a basement full of pickled bodyparts
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Cinders wrote: »

It all depends on what part of the country you're in!

Actually it mostly depends on skin color.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually. I'll think "man, thank god I'm white" sometimes when I realize how many benefits I get. It's just an idle thought. But when I think about that and specifically how it interacts with being trans, I get physically nauseous.

I'm not aware of a group of people more likely to be murdered than brown trans people.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Pulled a worm attached to a little hunk of turd out of my sister's kitten's butt.

An auspicious start to my day! Now it's off to the gym!
    network_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.