Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Oh no, the Kepler telescope has broken. It's lost two of its orientation controls.

Boo.

Time for an epic space quest to fix it![/Hubble II: Hub Harder]
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Cities in the middle of deserts that pretend they aren't are the worst

This includes LA and Phoenix

If you don't mean Vegas and Phoenix you should look at a map.

It also includes Vegas, yes

You realize that port of greater Los Angeles is the busiest port in the us, right?

I was under the impression that New Orleans still held that title, but I suppose Katrina did take a massive toll.

Dubai has a pretty busy port too.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    everyone i know who's lived in SD has liked it. with la it's more like 50/50.

How many were aspiring actresses? Los Angeles is a much more major league business venue than San Diego.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Still haven't got a place in San Francisco. And still got PCH/LA/Vegas to book. And work to do. And exams to help my sister cope with.

Busy busy busy.

Vegas will be easy. Find a place on the strip.

One thing I need to consider is the ability to safely store insulin and other 'betic supplies.

I assume any of the major hotels would be able to accommodate that
    Still haven't got a place in San Francisco. And still got PCH/LA/Vegas to book. And work to do. And exams to help my sister cope with.

Busy busy busy.

One thing I need to consider is the ability to safely store insulin and other 'betic supplies.

Also it's for five people.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I just snagged a bunch of audibooks of HP lovecraft.

I think it might be a good way to experience these stories.

Hopefully I do not get teh nightmares.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    los angeles is a shrine to networking and all the zero-sum economic activity that entails
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    so in JS there's a var keyword that determines whether the variable has global scope- and also all functions are prefaced with assignment statements to 'variables'?

this is kind of goofy

hmm

Literally everything about JavaScript is goofy.

it's super fun to play elaborate games with the ultra-loose typing

maintenance hell, but fun nonetheless

Loads of fun, and cheaper than paying someone to punch you in the nuts repeatedly.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
    We're talking about Greater Los Angeles, not San Bernadino, San Diego and the Inland Empire.

Simple rule of thumb:

If, in your area, water usage is a major issue at all

you are in a relative desert

Yes, the inland empire and the central valley and stuff are worse

but it's all bad

edit: and nobody not from LA considers San Bernardino outside Greater Los Angeles

San Bernadino is 59.7 miles outta East LA Andover an hour drive in he freeways. D you cnsider Phlly a part of NYC? Baltimore and D.C.?
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    happily nobody pays me to write code.

er.

well, nobody pays me to write code :rotate:
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I just snagged a bunch of audibooks of HP lovecraft.

I think it might be a good way to experience these stories.

Hopefully I do not get teh nightmares.

The first time I heard "Tekeli-li!" spoken aloud it creeped me out.

I still think Mountains of Madness is my favourite story. Lovecraft is great at portraying his dislike of the cold and how atmospheric the place is.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    my primary objection to LA is its dearth of gifted, able psychics. it seems almost cosmically unfair that a city so majestic and in touch with its divinity would be robbed of this foundational link to the nether. lack of psychic talent is probably why it's not in my top 5 cities to consider after graduation.

How many were aspiring actresses? Los Angeles is a much more major league business venue than San Diego.

none of them i guess. i don't have many friends trying to break into the entertainment industry.

none of them i guess. i don't have many friends trying to break into the entertainment industry.

I have... VH and.... VH.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

I have... VH and.... VH.

it doesn't seem like he's pursuing that too hard anymore. i mostly just hear his f&g story.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Oh neat, one of the games I backed on Kickstarter is now sharing test builds with backers.

Always reassuring when there's evidence to suggest that aren't just fleeing to Morocco with your £15

I have... VH and.... VH.

it doesn't seem like he's pursuing that too hard anymore. i mostly just hear his f&g story.

That's true. I guess "had" would have been more accurate.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

Busy busy busy.

Also it's for five people.

Just let the hotel know and you'll be fine. They will arrange for a mini fridge.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Oh neat, one of the games I backed on Kickstarter is now sharing test builds with backers.

Always reassuring when there's evidence to suggest that aren't just fleeing to Morocco with your £15

how many games have you backed? which ones are you particularly looking forward to?
    I backed my first thing ever on kickstarter the other day, for £50

Go big or go home I guess.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor how are the arcade card games going? played any since you got back?
    Inquisitor how are the arcade card games going? played any since you got back?

Nah havent had a chance yet. Tonight is my first free night since I've been back but I really need to spend it doing laundry, cleaning the house and stuff like that.

I will probably get something going this weekend.

Conflicted between doing some more Lord of Vermilion or cutting my teeth on gundam pods.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    Screen%20Shot%202013-05-16%20at%203.52.21%20AM.png

my thoughts exactly, tosh
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    personally, I've backed the Reaper thing (or rather my friends and I pitched it) - we couldn't not, for that deal.

Veronica Mars

and FATE Core. I need Shadow of the Century like oxygen.
    We're talking about Greater Los Angeles, not San Bernadino, San Diego and the Inland Empire.

Simple rule of thumb:

but it's all bad

edit: and nobody not from LA considers San Bernardino outside Greater Los Angeles

San Bernadino is 59.7 miles outta East LA Andover an hour drive in he freeways. D you cnsider Phlly a part of NYC? Baltimore and D.C.?

No

Physical distance is not as important as cultural distance.

eg. Conroe, Texas is a similar distance from Houston and is very much part of the Greater Houston Metropolitan area
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    scarfed that down

i didn't even breathe
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

how many games have you backed? which ones are you particularly looking forward to?

I've backed nine in total. Of which, eight got their funding.

M.O.R.E. and Predestination are the ones I'm most excited about (as I really like 4x space games). The former has gone utterly dark though, so that could be money down the hole. The latter give semi-regular updates. Both of these were minor devs and represent large gambles.

Maia is the game that's just given test build access, it's kind of a Sim Hospital / Dungeon Keeper type affair but with planetary colonisation as its theme.

You realize that port of greater Los Angeles is the busiest port in the us, right?

I was under the impression that New Orleans still held that title, but I suppose Katrina did take a massive toll.

And Dubai is in the US? My claim is a but broad, as it takes the entire counties ports into consideration, but the shipping industry is still massively huge here for some reason (a lot of political shit has played into it.)

California itself is the fifth largest economy in the world. If it's corporate taxes weren't such a bloodbath, and we had all our companies get poached by Delaware, Texas and Mexico it really coulda been so,etching awesome for the entire state.
    Luckily, a lotta tech companies were able to tough it out, and built in roads with their favorable tax incentives to build campuses and infrastructure in the state. One of the few things I'm jealous of you and KC Kosh is the google fiber.
    As much as I like Kickstarter, I'm wondering if the site isn't about to crash given that they seem to be abandoning their quality control.
    Oh no, the Kepler telescope has broken. It's lost two of its orientation controls.

Boo.

Time for an epic space quest to fix it![/Hubble II: Hub Harder]

I'll call Keifer Sutherland.
    edited May 2013
    I sit back and think about the Kickstarters I've backed, and in terms of all round service I still think the Order of the Stick one remains the best all round Kickstarter I've experienced.

The funding wasn't for a concept in development or even with a working prototype: It was simply to give him the liquid assets needed to reprint books he had already written and sold before, so it was easy to believe he could get it done. His stretch goals were simple (more books reprinted, extra bonus stories etc) and he keeps in communication about status updates, and the inevitable delays are explained and understandable (especially when he shredded his hand on broken glass which forced a four month hiatus on him). Nearly every other Kickstarter I went on to back I had that shard of doubt wondering whether they would deliver, but not that one.

First taste is often the best, I suppose.
    RMS Oceanic on
    But it's all good, I mean, clearly most chatters are successful enough without me altruistically wanting to offer guidance and assistance because that damn Christian upbringing of mine has been hard to shake, so I feel like I should share and help others as much as I can without corrupting themselves.
    Podly wrote: »
    scarfed that down

i didn't even breathe

twss, etc
    edited May 2013

And Dubai is in the US? My claim is a but broad, as it takes the entire counties ports into consideration, but the shipping industry is still massively huge here for some reason (a lot of political shit has played into it.)

California itself is the fifth largest economy in the world. If it's corporate taxes weren't such a bloodbath, and we had all our companies get poached by Delaware, Texas and Mexico it really coulda been so,etching awesome for the entire state.
    Luckily, a lotta tech companies were able to tough it out, and built in roads with their favorable tax incentives to build campuses and infrastructure in the state. One of the few things I'm jealous of you and KC Kosh is the google fiber.

I don't have fiber. Net infrastructure here is bleh.

and I really don't understand why you're expounding "LA has great industry"

Of course it has great industry. I never contested that.

It's still an area with serious environmental concerns re: water that generally tends to act as if it doesn't.

edit: as for Dubai, it's in a desert
    Elldren on
    I am pretty optimistic about the boardgame I have kickstarted.

It's from a well known developer but is kind of too niche to be worth going through the standard boardgame process.

He has the rules and stuff you can print out to play a print and play version of the game.

The kickstarter is mostly to secure funding for artists for the cards and the board and stuff.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    The shipping attached to boardgames (and other physical products) rarely makes Kickstarting worthwhile for me.
    But it's all good, I mean, clearly most chatters are successful enough without me altruistically wanting to offer guidance and assistance because that damn Christian upbringing of mine has been hard to shake, so I feel like I should share and help others as much as I can without corrupting themselves.

Nothing wrong with giving advice. The trick is knowing when they absolutely don't want it, and to stop when they ask.
    The shipping attached to boardgames (and other physical products) rarely makes Kickstarting worthwhile for me.

I believe the shipping is part of the asking price for this kickstarter, but, for some areas (likely me!) I'll have to throw in more.

But seeing that the only way to get this game is pretty much via the kickstarter I have to go for it.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

Simple rule of thumb:

but it's all bad

No

eg. Conroe, Texas is a similar distance from Houston and is very much part of the Greater Houston Metropolitan area

And San Bernadino and Los Angeles have nothing in common culturally. They're in different counties, and were founded hundreds of years apart.

Simple rule of thumb:

but it's all bad

No

And San Bernadino and Los Angeles have nothing in common culturally. They're in different counties, and were founded hundreds of years apart.

This is not any different from Conroe and Houston
This discussion has been closed.