Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    you know what i find interesting is i feel like americans are disdainful about 'fatty' fat- like, "you have to pay a little extra to get beef ribs, they're not as fatty'' or chewing around gristle and chewy fat and stuff.

and then when i've had some asian dishes where it's like, succulent, soft, basically-disintegrating fat is a tasty morsel that lends flavor and richness

like, even cooked crispy the pork belly that i enjoyed a lot in ramen and pho would i think be regarded by most of my family (who don't really eat foreign cuisine) as disgusting

Not fans of prime rib then? Cause, that stuff is fatty as hell, and absolutely fucking delicious, and pretty popular in the states.

my family can't afford prime rib you joker

WAY TO RUB SALT INTO THE WOUND OF MY ABJECT POVERTY

do they not have a costco in the metro philly area?

you can get a great quality filet of beef to feed a whole family for not much more than the price of a few mediocre steaks from the supermarket
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    fat is flavor

Fat creates flavor but it doesn't really have any of it's own. Chowing down on big chunks of pure fat is gross.

now what am I gonna tell the investors of "podly's fine lard and unfried chicharitos dining experience?"

we already bought the coagulated pork fat iv lines!

Tell them, no big deal, you are retooling, it'll be ok. Then go out and buy a sack of potatoes.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    kosh, i resist in the strongest terms possible the objectivity of your valuation
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    you know what i find interesting is i feel like americans are disdainful about 'fatty' fat- like, "you have to pay a little extra to get beef ribs, they're not as fatty'' or chewing around gristle and chewy fat and stuff.

and then when i've had some asian dishes where it's like, succulent, soft, basically-disintegrating fat is a tasty morsel that lends flavor and richness

like, even cooked crispy the pork belly that i enjoyed a lot in ramen and pho would i think be regarded by most of my family (who don't really eat foreign cuisine) as disgusting

Not fans of prime rib then? Cause, that stuff is fatty as hell, and absolutely fucking delicious, and pretty popular in the states.

Like, it's $6 or less a lbs on sale. If you are that poor, get frigging food stamps.

edit:ok, maybe slight more, but under $10 by a bunch normally.
    redx on
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    kosh i notice that you conveniently omitted the northeast

you wanna go, brah?

I never imagine myself making enough to live in the northeast in conditions I wouldn't find utterly intolerable

I mean unless we're talking Maine or New Hampshire or something, then sure

Maine....is clannish. Like Hatfields and McCoys clannish. And New Hampshire is...well just don't live there.

southern new hampshire is ok

northern new hampshire is nice if you're the kinda person prone to sending anthrax to public officials

Yeah but if you're in Southern New Hampshire you might as well move to Vermont which will drop your odds of seeing insane libertarians by like 80%. And in Maine there are families holding grudges from before the revolution.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Guys.

Star Trek Into Darkness.

Was really good.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Cities in the middle of deserts that pretend they aren't are the worst

This includes LA and Phoenix
    this movie is so terrible. i mean, the basic sound editing is done awfully. all of mcclane's little one liners? they're muted and overridden and it sounds like they used the wrong 'take' from the voiceover room haha. it's just awful. one of the characters has said 'damn you, john' about 6 times in 15 minutes.

this is like, The Room with a big budget

what a disaster

mixing in modern movies is utter shit

the voices are all far too present because they're all ADR'd in post and, especially in action movies, sound design has replaced folly and audiences eat up really quick granular sweeps so unnatural effects are right in your face and take you out of the movie

i'm pretty sure if I watched the most recent transformers movie i would have an aneurism.
    biden%20sig.png
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    That fact you guys are listing hellscapes and none of you have even mentioned Phoenix means you know nothing. :P

Phoenix is a total hellscape

And it boasts the temperatures for it too boot!

you can get a great quality filet of beef to feed a whole family for not much more than the price of a few mediocre steaks from the supermarket

we don't eat steaks, either.

my family has like, frozen chicken nuggets and kraft dinner or like, precooked kielbasa pan fried with rice a roni and canned corn.

it's the worst, pods.

save me.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

This is a problem that solves itself.

Like, it's $6 or less a lbs on sale. If you are that poor, get frigging food stamps.

my family is on food stamps
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    one of the fun things about Washington: about 100 years ago we had a crazy rich dude who built a replica of Stonehenge in a pretty epic setting. I guess these days he'd have wasted his money on something pointless and stupid like a basketball stadium but back then the grossly rich had class.

Maryhill-Washington-Stonehenge.jpg

What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

we don't eat steaks, either.

my family has like, frozen chicken nuggets and kraft dinner or like, precooked kielbasa pan fried with rice a roni and canned corn.

it's the worst, pods.

save me.

chu when I think of you with your family i basically think of you dropped into the mcpoyles
    biden%20sig.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    I guess if I ever had to move to the US the Northwest would be the only place I would really consider.
    chu likes new york, boston, san francisco, and seattle.
    also assholes.
    fuck i'm starving

alright i'mma order a sausage egg and cheese from the diner

i guess some homefries too

biden%20sig.png
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular

my family is on food stamps

Well... ok. Good. It still isn't insanely expensive or anything.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    LA traffic is bad, I won't disagree with that, but it's still better than most with he amount of auto traffic (registered and un, and port related surf,) here, And it s the biggest automobile market in the world that also makes it an enclave of trade, as well as convenient access to the busiest ports on the west coast. That's where a lot of the recent traffic issues have come up, but as a local and if you know the tricks there's ways around it. To me, complaining about traffic in la is similar to being deathly afraid of the earthquakes that could occur. The 101/405 isn't even th busiest freeway interchange on earth anymore.
    MadCaddy on
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    you see more fat in asian cooking because asian cooking doesn't have huge chunks of meat; it's usually thin slices. it's typically sparing on meat to begin with.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    The best way to buy meat is go to a restaurant supply-ish shop, buy a big-ass hunk of meat, break it down and freeze most of it, and eat whatever you want.

Costs more up front but you save on the long term. Especially buying pork.
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

This is a problem that solves itself.
    Hey! Where'd all the water go?!
    Askin' dem kinda questions means you a librul! Spreddin' dem librul lies! THANKS OBAMA!
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    LA is badly sited to begin with, from a town planning kind of view, and local resistance to increasing the density of existing residence is high. Cue sprawl.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    one of the fun things about Washington: about 100 years ago we had a crazy rich dude who built a replica of Stonehenge in a pretty epic setting. I guess these days he'd have wasted his money on something pointless and stupid like a basketball stadium but back then the grossly rich had class.

There was a rich actor who lived in Connecticut. William Gillette. No relation to the razor blade company, but he made his money playing Sherlock Holmes on th stage. Which lead him to building this:

9062A-Gillette-Castle-CT.jpg

1605A-Gillette-Castle-Park.jpg

And this is the view it overlooks:

http://albraden.photoshelter.com/image/I0000MeE6IHjaR6A

Spectacular during the fall.
    Thomamelas on
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    LA sounds like my idea of hell, honestly

being able to drive for like three hours in any direction* and never leave this kind of half-urbanized sprawl of big box stores and fast food franchises and traffic everywhere jesus christ

I would legit lose my mind
    * that the roads go, because I know someone will be like WHAT ABOUT WEST HEE HEE or WHAT ABOUT DOWN o something

I'm not sure where else I would live if given the opportunity. The Pac Northwest is the most likely and obvious candidate. The weather and the politics certainly agree with me. I've also thought about the Twin Cities; for some reason there's a really large KC expat community there and I'd have a ton of people to hang with and there is a lot to do.

I love Chicago but kind of more to visit than if I had to live there and drive every day. It's on the "if I was independently wealthy/could work from home" list.

There are a lot of cool "liberal enclave" type places here in the Midwest, like Madison, WI or Austin or Omaha, but none of them have enough different from here in KC that I would want to leave.

I don't think I would want to live in the Southwest but Albuquerque seems like the best of a bad lot in that regard. It struck me as skewing more toward blue collar/denim/outdoorsy types and less to hateful retirees and there are a ton of outdoors things to do in the immediate vicinity.

Florida is a rancid shithole. I don't hate many places, but I hated my time in Florida.

You, obviously, have only cliches about it like most whom haven't spent a tremendous amount of time around here, But let me assure you there's reasons why I've chosen to come back and live in LA and pay more in taxes to do so, even with my wayfarer ways.
    I've been a resident of five different states at one point or another, and try not to be biased by nostalgia, and don't even live near where I grew up, it's more of a work opportunity decision for me. Truthfully, bring an expat and living overseas would make the most fiscal sense for me, but there are just certain cultural perks I enjoy about LA. Different strokes for different blokes, and I can see the fact you choose to chime in to bash on my hometown while ignoring my PMs about our other little conflict as being telling of the objectivity of your valuation.

I had aimed it at Will because he and I have gotten along about a few other things without any blatant disrespect from one side or the other, and I value his opinion and feel a sense of respect when I converse with him. The same cant be said for you any longer for the above mentioned reason.

6HkqNjR.jpg

Well if he'd wasted it on a basketball stadium maybe you'd still have a team
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular

vw-oh-snap-o.gif
    another fun crazy old rich dude in Washington. Orcas Island is one of the bigger islands in the northern Puget sound and it's highest point is Mt. Constitution (though really it's only a "mountain" in the East Coast sense of the word). And the crazy old timey rich guy in question built this on top of Mt. Constitution on it (I have been there, it is so rad):

mtconstitution1986.jpg

but why is it rad, you ask?
    MtConstitutionView.jpg
    the pics in google from on top of that tower don't do it justice
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

If you don't mean Vegas and Phoenix you should look at a map.

man we all voted against more stadiums in this town so many times. such a waste.

but the bastards keep finding ways to build more of the damn things.

If you don't mean Vegas and Phoenix you should look at a map.

It also includes Vegas, yes
    We're talking about Greater Los Angeles, not San Bernadino, San Diego and the Inland Empire.
    also
    LittleSummitView.jpg
    diner food ordered

i'd feel fat, but i didn't eat anything today
    biden%20sig.png
    everyone i know who's lived in SD has liked it. with la it's more like 50/50.

• HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

Really cities in the middle of nowhere.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    LA sounds like my idea of hell, honestly

being able to drive for like three hours in any direction* and never leave this kind of half-urbanized sprawl of big box stores and fast food franchises and traffic everywhere jesus christ

I would legit lose my mind
    * that the roads go, because I know someone will be like WHAT ABOUT WEST HEE HEE or WHAT ABOUT DOWN o something

I'm not sure where else I would live if given the opportunity. The Pac Northwest is the most likely and obvious candidate. The weather and the politics certainly agree with me. I've also thought about the Twin Cities; for some reason there's a really large KC expat community there and I'd have a ton of people to hang with and there is a lot to do.

I love Chicago but kind of more to visit than if I had to live there and drive every day. It's on the "if I was independently wealthy/could work from home" list.

There are a lot of cool "liberal enclave" type places here in the Midwest, like Madison, WI or Austin or Omaha, but none of them have enough different from here in KC that I would want to leave.

I don't think I would want to live in the Southwest but Albuquerque seems like the best of a bad lot in that regard. It struck me as skewing more toward blue collar/denim/outdoorsy types and less to hateful retirees and there are a ton of outdoors things to do in the immediate vicinity.

Florida is a rancid shithole. I don't hate many places, but I hated my time in Florida.

You, obviously, have only cliches about it like most whom haven't spent a tremendous amount of time around here, But let me assure you there's reasons why I've chosen to come back and live in LA and pay more in taxes to do so, even with my wayfarer ways.
    I've been a resident of five different states at one point or another, and try not to be biased by nostalgia, and don't even live near where I grew up, it's more of a work opportunity decision for me. Truthfully, bring an expat and living overseas would make the most fiscal sense for me, but there are just certain cultural perks I enjoy about LA. Different strokes for different blokes, and I can see the fact you choose to chime in to bash on my hometown while ignoring my PMs about our other little conflict as being telling of the objectivity of your valuation.

I had aimed it at Will because he and I have gotten along about a few other things without any blatant disrespect from one side or the other, and I value his opinion and feel a sense of respect when I converse with him. The same cant be said for you any longer for the above mentioned reason.

6HkqNjR.jpg

This explains so much, and my moms dad and mom fled KC to the greener pastures of Los Angeles, so Nyah! And the chiefs suck and will suck for a long time. Winning. 8-)
    edited May 2013
    so in JS there's a var keyword that determines whether the variable has global scope- and also all functions are prefaced with assignment statements to 'variables'?

this is kind of goofy

hmm
    Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.