Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    We're talking about Greater Los Angeles, not San Bernadino, San Diego and the Inland Empire.

Simple rule of thumb:

If, in your area, water usage is a major issue at all

you are in a relative desert

Yes, the inland empire and the central valley and stuff are worse

but it's all bad

edit: and nobody not from LA considers San Bernardino outside Greater Los Angeles
    Elldren on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Ha Ha Tonka in southern Missouri is a castle built on an Ozark mountaintop by a rich eccentric in the...twenties, I want to say, and that burned down before WWII. The ruins and the former estate grounds are now the center of a state park.

linked for huge: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Ha-Ha-Tonka.jpg
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    LA sounds like my idea of hell, honestly

being able to drive for like three hours in any direction* and never leave this kind of half-urbanized sprawl of big box stores and fast food franchises and traffic everywhere jesus christ

I would legit lose my mind
    * that the roads go, because I know someone will be like WHAT ABOUT WEST HEE HEE or WHAT ABOUT DOWN o something

I'm not sure where else I would live if given the opportunity. The Pac Northwest is the most likely and obvious candidate. The weather and the politics certainly agree with me. I've also thought about the Twin Cities; for some reason there's a really large KC expat community there and I'd have a ton of people to hang with and there is a lot to do.

I love Chicago but kind of more to visit than if I had to live there and drive every day. It's on the "if I was independently wealthy/could work from home" list.

There are a lot of cool "liberal enclave" type places here in the Midwest, like Madison, WI or Austin or Omaha, but none of them have enough different from here in KC that I would want to leave.

I don't think I would want to live in the Southwest but Albuquerque seems like the best of a bad lot in that regard. It struck me as skewing more toward blue collar/denim/outdoorsy types and less to hateful retirees and there are a ton of outdoors things to do in the immediate vicinity.

Florida is a rancid shithole. I don't hate many places, but I hated my time in Florida.

San Francisco bay area is really rad.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    All this talk of coffee forced me to get a takeaway coffee. Damm you all!

It is good though and the dude who runs the place is from my island so we shot the breeze for a bit. Sunny day too.
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    right because the los angeles jaguars are gonna be unstoppable
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    As an Australian, I find the idea of living in a desert preposterous
    turtlesig.jpg
  • TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User regular
    I've never worn A&F and I don't think I've ever been in their stores. The closest stores similar, I think, are American Eagle and Express. I even stopped wearing Express since they opened one store in Mississauga and now everyone wears it.
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    I've never worn A&F and I don't think I've ever been in their stores. The closest stores similar, I think, are American Eagle and Express. I even stopped wearing Express since they opened one store in Mississauga and now everyone wears it.

cool story
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    so in JS there's a var keyword that determines whether the variable has global scope- and also all functions are prefaced with assignment statements to 'variables'?

this is kind of goofy

hmm

when did this var keyword turn up
    you aussies should consider dismantling all those mountains on your eastern edge

it'll bring the rain!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    so in JS there's a var keyword that determines whether the variable has global scope- and also all functions are prefaced with assignment statements to 'variables'?

this is kind of goofy

hmm

var doesn't determine scope, it just declares a variable. Where you declare it determines its scope.

with JavaScript, don't be drawn in by how similar the syntax is to civilized languages like Java. Totally different beast.

Main thing is that there are really no types. Or rather, any information you include about types is purely optional. It's all just Object. Numbers, Strings, Functions, Arrays. It's all just an Object.

And you can add and remove members to Objects at any time (related: look up how Prototype Inheritance really works. very different from inheritance in Java or C++ and important).

So you can

var foo = 5;

or var foo = "five"

or var foo = function(a) { return 5; };

What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

this is kind of goofy

hmm

Literally everything about JavaScript is goofy.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

this is kind of goofy

hmm

it seems to turn up always- all the code i've seen uses it. i don't know its origin.
    in JS var just declares a variable

it doesn't do anything about scope, the variable inherits local scope
    you aussies should consider dismantling all those mountains on your eastern edge

it'll bring the rain!

Yeah, but then the people who live on the correct side of the mountains will lose out

like myself

Screw the interior, it's full of direbunnies anyway
    turtlesig.jpg

this is kind of goofy

hmm

Literally everything about JavaScript is goofy.

it's super fun to play elaborate games with the ultra-loose typing

maintenance hell, but fun nonetheless

this is kind of goofy

hmm

in javascript it's optional (depending on how strict you want to be)

so var foo = 5; is the same as foo = 5; in a situation where foo does not yet exist.

In later versions of .NET it's like auto in C++11: it is still strongly typed it just figures out what type it needs to be based on context. And if there is not enough info to do so based on context won't compile.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    here is an explanation i found, though i don't know how complete it is:
    The var keyword is significant because it introduces a new variable in local scope. When a variable is referenced without the var keyword, it uses the variable by that name in the closest scope. If no such variable is defined, a new binding for that variable is declared on the global object.
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

As a native New Mexican (US southwestern desert), screw humidity.
    工事中
    A 19th century businessman and politician built a castle mansion above my home city of Dunedin, on the Otago Peninsula

larnach-castle-56049.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

Look, if you want to snob it up about clothes, you can't halfass it at a chain that just happens to not have too many stores near you. You learned that lesson with express. Bespoke everything.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    everyone i know who's lived in SD has liked it. with la it's more like 50/50.

SD is pretty rocking.

Except for the fact that too many old conservatives live there.

Other than that it is a pretty ideal place.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I'm renting a flat in June for my holiday. No deposit but the owner would like a big ol' wodge of cash on arrival. This all seems on the up and up.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Still haven't got a place in San Francisco. And still got PCH/LA/Vegas to book. And work to do. And exams to help my sister cope with.

Busy busy busy.
    Dat view
    Also @BobCesca: Even if they don't decide to choose you in your interview today, I'm confident they will see you as a good candidate for the job anyway. Good luck! <3
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Cities in the middle of deserts that pretend they aren't are the worst

This includes LA and Phoenix

If you don't mean Vegas and Phoenix you should look at a map.

It also includes Vegas, yes

You realize that port of greater Los Angeles is the busiest port in the us, right?
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    The var keyword is significant because it introduces a new variable in local scope. When a variable is referenced without the var keyword, it uses the variable by that name in the closest scope. If no such variable is defined, a new binding for that variable is declared on the global object.

pretty sure that's not true.

If you use a name (and DON'T DO THIS) without declaring it (implicit declaration) pretty sure it gets declared at the most local scope possible.

btw: there is a single reference on JavaScript which is 100% necessary to someone working in that field. "JavaScript: The Good Parts". It's a very short books. But vital.
    I wish R had a more C-like syntax.
    (I just walked into a whitespace bug)
  • TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User regular

Look, if you want to snob it up about clothes, you can't halfass it at a chain that just happens to not have too many stores near you. You learned that lesson with express. Bespoke everything.

To be honest I don't really care that much about branding. As long as it fits you, isn't torn in any aspect, and you can actually go to meet your girlfriend/parents/her parents/grandparents then you are set. This, however, doesn't mean walmart material is good too.

What is actually a snob brand?
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Still haven't got a place in San Francisco. And still got PCH/LA/Vegas to book. And work to do. And exams to help my sister cope with.

Busy busy busy.

Vegas will be easy. Find a place on the strip.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    print("C-like, motherfucker, do you parse it?")

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    *slowly distances himself from MadCaddy*
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Busy busy busy.

Vegas will be easy. Find a place on the strip.

One thing I need to consider is the ability to safely store insulin and other 'betic supplies.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Oh no, the Kepler telescope has broken. It's lost two of its orientation controls.

Boo.
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »

As a native New Mexican (US southwestern desert), screw humidity.

Oh hey, Coke

I bought Cat and Chocolate and its recent addition, Cat and Chocolate Academy

It is pretty hilarious
    turtlesig.jpg

pretty sure that's not true.

If you use a name (and DON'T DO THIS) without declaring it (implicit declaration) pretty sure it gets declared at the most local scope possible.

btw: there is a single reference on JavaScript which is 100% necessary to someone working in that field. "JavaScript: The Good Parts". It's a very short books. But vital.

as usual, it's possible that some version of some browser somewhere does indeed use var to scope.

... yeah. I'd just adhere to the Mozilla definitions though. MSIE is now somewhat good at maintaining a parallel implementation.

God, I haven't written any JS from the era where code libraries became a thing. I should probably pick up jquery at some point.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Like, people don't understand how the municipalities out here work, and it's all a blur to a lotta folks. Lancaster is Irvine is City of Industy is Long beach is Downtown Los Angeles Hollywood. Only one P of those is in anything remotely desert like, and is literally the last city in LA County in that direction and is also the meth manufacturing capital of the county. And puppy mills.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    print("C-like, motherfucker, do you parse it?");

This discussion has been closed.