Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    did someone forget to walk ronya? he's bouncing off the walls here

Econ types get really excited when they manage to skew their data particularly well. It's a Thing.
    network_sig2.png
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    One of my coworkers uses the same pic as @ronya for his avatar in our internal IM. It's a constant source of distress.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    all of the noobs are ruining our community
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    light rail rant because i am thinking about it now:

houston built a light rail system a number of years ago. the line bisects downtown, running from just on the north side of downtown to a little south of the city. basically, it connects the two U of H campuses, which oddly enough the president of U of H was on the board that decided where to build the light rail. What a coincidence!

Anyway, the train runs on the street level, on regular streets with cars. When they designed the rail they decided to use these state-of-the-art cars that are super quiet, since the train runs through some neighborhoods. One problem - quiet trains means peope can't hear them when they need to! And since it is on street level, the train had huge problems hitting motorists and pedestrians. Unfortunately some people were killed IIRC. Anyway, the solution? Put this obnoxious screeching bell on the train. So now it is no longer silent and is ten times worse than if they had gone with a normal train that makes noise.

Not to mention the fact that the train isn't like a subway where you de facto have to buy a ticket due to the gates. There are no gates. You're supposed to buy a ticket, but no one does. Why would you? They don't check for tickets and there's nothing that prevents you from getting on the train without one.

Did I mention that the train runs on the street? Since the train bisects downtown north/south, it is a traffic nightmare. It constantly snarls up traffic in downtown. I regularly wait 5 minutes at a light for the train to go by on my way home from work. It is terrible!

And now they want to put in a second line, running east/west through downtown, also on street level, that crosses the north/south train. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG HERE? Not to mention the fact that it's going to double the traffic problem created by the first train, as you'll have trains waiting for other trains, and cars stopped waiting on those trains.

Houston is a very large city by area. Insanely large. You can drive for an hour on the highway and still be in "Houston". Right now Houston has a pretty expansive commuter bus system that utilizes the HOV lanes on the highways, but even then when the busses get downtown they still create traffic. And even though they are in the HOV lane they can still get backed up with traffic on the highways. Not to mention the fact that the operating costs (fuel, drivers, maintenance) must be insane.

What Houston needs to do is take that money they're using building the light rail and make a real proper commuter rail out to the suburbs. Ditch the busses that create more traffic, lower your operating costs, fit more people on each load, deliver more consistent service. There are even a few derelict buildings on the outskirts of downtown that could be knocked down and turned into a rail station!
    Agreed! I don't think Houston has ever planned well IRT transportation. It is fairly obvious given the labyrinth one must navigate to get around. :P

Houston had a weird growth pattern. The first thing you need to understand is that Texas politicians get lynched if they propose a tax increase. But Houston has roads to pay for. So the city needed a way to pay for things like roads. So instead of raising taxes, the annexed areas around the city to increase the tax base. But you have to pay for those roads, so they grabbed a bit more...
    Hehehe.

There're DNC operatives who have their eyes on Texas.

Mostly because of the booming Hispanic population.

It's going to be great when Texas turns blue and the nation becomes Democratic forever and the Republican party dies and we become a social democracy paradise.

Soon Spool will have nowhere to run.

One day his son will come to him and say "Daddy, what was it like before the Great Leader gave us Obamacare?" and a single tear will well in his eyes as he turns the television to local news where the Democratic Governor of Texas the centrally-appointed World Government bureaucrat presiding over the Texas municipality of America Province is giving a speech about the necessity to increase taxes to a cheering crowd.

When that happens Spool will join the mujahdeen
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Man my legs are constantly sore

I like to lie on my back and have Aaron stretch them out but that's obviously not a good solution for most of the day.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    that TNC thread is just

wow.

Wow.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

houston built a light rail system a number of years ago. the line bisects downtown, running from just on the north side of downtown to a little south of the city. basically, it connects the two U of H campuses, which oddly enough the president of U of H was on the board that decided where to build the light rail. What a coincidence!

Anyway, the train runs on the street level, on regular streets with cars. When they designed the rail they decided to use these state-of-the-art cars that are super quiet, since the train runs through some neighborhoods. One problem - quiet trains means peope can't hear them when they need to! And since it is on street level, the train had huge problems hitting motorists and pedestrians. Unfortunately some people were killed IIRC. Anyway, the solution? Put this obnoxious screeching bell on the train. So now it is no longer silent and is ten times worse than if they had gone with a normal train that makes noise.

Not to mention the fact that the train isn't like a subway where you de facto have to buy a ticket due to the gates. There are no gates. You're supposed to buy a ticket, but no one does. Why would you? They don't check for tickets and there's nothing that prevents you from getting on the train without one.

Did I mention that the train runs on the street? Since the train bisects downtown north/south, it is a traffic nightmare. It constantly snarls up traffic in downtown. I regularly wait 5 minutes at a light for the train to go by on my way home from work. It is terrible!

And now they want to put in a second line, running east/west through downtown, also on street level, that crosses the north/south train. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG HERE? Not to mention the fact that it's going to double the traffic problem created by the first train, as you'll have trains waiting for other trains, and cars stopped waiting on those trains.

Houston is a very large city by area. Insanely large. You can drive for an hour on the highway and still be in "Houston". Right now Houston has a pretty expansive commuter bus system that utilizes the HOV lanes on the highways, but even then when the busses get downtown they still create traffic. And even though they are in the HOV lane they can still get backed up with traffic on the highways. Not to mention the fact that the operating costs (fuel, drivers, maintenance) must be insane.

What Houston needs to do is take that money they're using building the light rail and make a real proper commuter rail out to the suburbs. Ditch the busses that create more traffic, lower your operating costs, fit more people on each load, deliver more consistent service. There are even a few derelict buildings on the outskirts of downtown that could be knocked down and turned into a rail station!
    Agreed! I don't think Houston has ever planned well IRT transportation. It is fairly obvious given the labyrinth one must navigate to get around. :P

Houston had a weird growth pattern. The first thing you need to understand is that Texas politicians get lynched if they propose a tax increase. But Houston has roads to pay for. So the city needed a way to pay for things like roads. So instead of raising taxes, the annexed areas around the city to increase the tax base. But you have to pay for those roads, so they grabbed a bit more...
    Hehehe.

It's going to be great when Texas turns blue and the nation becomes Democratic forever and the Republican party dies and we become a social democracy paradise.

One day his son will come to him and say "Daddy, what was it like before the Great Leader gave us Obamacare?" and a single tear will well in his eyes as he turns the television to local news where the Democratic Governor of Texas is giving a speech about the necessity to increase taxes to a cheering crowd.

We won't get TV in the bunker.
    A Democrat ran the state while Bush was governor! Hell, a Democrat kicked off Bush's presidential bid.

Also Anne Richards.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    I am going to do my annual install Linux on this Dell D410 that I set aside for such things

I think I'm gonna install Archbang.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Us regular immigrants are also purpling the state over time.

we went out to lunch on mother's day and a big family sitting next to us was having a conversation about how people should stop moving to austin and newcomers are ruining it

I was kinda surprised by how offended I was

I feel you should just go ahead and own this town, man.

You fit well here. Your family fits well here. The market is good and if I can get off my butt we might even get some climbing done.

8743690997_b62f49fd74_z.jpg
    also my job is probably going away in early 2014 even if we don't move so
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Reading @Gooey talk about Houston's light rail is like reading a bizarro world of Denver's.

So Denver's light rail's first line went from the Auraria Campus to Five Points. So the old joke was they connected the college students to the crack dealers. What is even funnier that line is now shut down but Five Points is now being gentrified so I bet they will re-open it. The next line built though did kind of what Gooey wants, it went south along Sante Fe to mineral which is one of the corners for a huge suburb and north to downtown and the 16th Street mall, basically the heart of Downtown. That was the only line for good amount of time. They added sections that let it go to Mile High Stadium and Union Station connecting all the sports arenas and Elitch's which is a 6 flags. The next line is the 1-25 line. This goes from the East side of the big suburb that the mineral station is on the west side all the way down town and follows I-25. It also has stops where most people work in the tech industry the Denver Tech Center. They also added a bit that goes up I-225 out to Nine Mile which kind of connects the big eastern suburb of Aurora but doesn't quiet go far enough East. They need to expand it.

They just opened up a new line that goes along US-6/6th Ave all the way out to the Jefferson County Court House. This line connects Golden to downtown and runs through a lot of the lower middle income Hispanic neighborhoods and out to the wealthy white neighborhoods near the foothills. The next line that is suppose to be built goes to the airport through Aurora and Commerce City which is good. Then the last line is suppose to go up north to Longmont and a line out to Boulder from that which would be huge because it would connect the last major suburbs to downtown.

Some how Denver has been developing an actual public transit system even with the damn urban sprawl.
    falasig.png

we went out to lunch on mother's day and a big family sitting next to us was having a conversation about how people should stop moving to austin and newcomers are ruining it

You fit well here. Your family fits well here. The market is good and if I can get off my butt we might even get some climbing done.

LOOK AT THAT BEAUTIFUL CLIMATE
    I'll hire you to work @ whole foods. :)
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    One of my coworkers uses the same pic as @ronya for his avatar in our internal IM. It's a constant source of distress.

hahaha

I could change mine...
    And then we can vacation in Colorado or something in July because I'll have money coming out my ass.
    And then we can vacation in Colorado or something in July because I'll have money coming out my ass.

wearin a gold-plated diaper
    hmm. now to puzzle over the mysterious first graph. A change in GDP>money causality in 2003 or thereabouts? a very uncertain estimate there though, the valley is so flat. Anywhere from 2000 to 2006.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    The Washington Metro is pretty great. I've got nothing else to say.
    it's possible that there's simply actually no effect and the estimate of the transition point is picking up noise; it's hard to tell because the estimate for the transition speed (the horizontal axis) is so poor.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Anyone wanna raide some relics with me later today? Shoot me a PM or somethink.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Also, let's be real: The Daily Show just kinda skims the surface of news items for things to mock. In my experience they very seldom actually get into the weeds of issues because that's not as funny.
    network_sig2.png
    I guess I'll probably be in DC for work a few days next month

but I probably won't have time to hang out with any chatters

but maybe I will!
    Come to Colorado.

I might still be here in July though DC is looking way more likely.
    falasig.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    So everyone is moving east now.
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ronya wrote: »

hahaha

I could change mine...

Oh, I would never. I'm not promiscuous when it comes to my avatars.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg

Red line.
    falasig.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Texas is awful

The south is awful

North should secede
    it's possible that there's simply actually no effect and the estimate of the transition point is picking up noise; it's hard to tell because the estimate for the transition speed (the horizontal axis) is so poor.

does anyone else think that Ronya doesn't actually type these posts and what we're actually seeing is his stream of consciousness pouring out of his head and into his computer?
    If you’ve succeeded in making a neural interface you should share it Ronya.
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular

It's going to be just shy of boiling all week. Stay indoors or risk instant death.

ALL SODIUM IS LIQUID

hahaha

I could change mine...

Oh, I would never. I'm not promiscuous when it comes to my avatars.

after sticking with the same one for about four years i've launched head first into an orgy of change!!
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Red line.

Red line is for scrubs. I used it to get to Union Station once and to Dupont Circle once or twice before I remembered that I had legs and could walk from an Orange Line (best line) station.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I guess I'll probably be in DC for work a few days next month

but I probably won't have time to hang out with any chatters

but maybe I will!

Making a Batman comic in just a few days is a ton of work, I'm sure we will understand.
    it's really beautiful outside right now

the kind of weather where i'm gagging to go home and take the dog for a walk

trouble is it was like this a couple of days ago and as i drove inland to where i live there was a noticable and immediate shift as i crossed a line half way between the office and my house where is was

sunny

*drives over line*

THICK DARK CLOUD AND GLOOM
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

Red line.

Red line is for scrubs. I used it to get to Union Station once and to Dupont Circle once or twice before I remembered that I had legs and could walk from an Orange Line (best line) station.

My friend use to live out in Bethesda so when I visited him it was all red line all the time.

Then he moved near cap hill and it was blue and orange lines and life became much better.

Also know anyone who might need a roommate starting like mid June? That is when my prospective job/internship starts. But it is kind of hard since I am waiting to see if I got it and won't know for like 2 weeks.

Probably stay with family friends or my cousins till I find a place.
    falasig.png
    Texas is awful

The south is awful

North should secede

We tried it and just got laughed at. :(
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    my one hope is that over the next few years as the light rail expansions are completed that METRO doesn't fuck it up and uses it as a proof of concept

we've got rail in the city to move people around, now let's build a commuter rail to link up with it
    919UOwT.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Allright I can get into this Romance of the Three Kingdoms game
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

Hehehe.

One day his son will come to him and say "Daddy, what was it like before the Great Leader gave us Obamacare?" and a single tear will well in his eyes as he turns the television to local news where the Democratic Governor of Texas is giving a speech about the necessity to increase taxes to a cheering crowd.

We won't get TV in the bunker.
    A Democrat ran the state while Bush was governor! Hell, a Democrat kicked off Bush's presidential bid.

Also Anne Richards.

Vat ever you say, Comrade

Wk7D2Zs.png
    Lh96QHG.png

Red line.

My friend use to live out in Bethesda so when I visited him it was all red line all the time.

Then he moved near cap hill and it was blue and orange lines and life became much better.

Also know anyone who might need a roommate starting like mid June? That is when my prospective job/internship starts. But it is kind of hard since I am waiting to see if I got it and won't know for like 2 weeks.

Probably stay with family friends or my cousins till I find a place.

I don't think so, most of my buddies here either live with their parents or prefer to live entirely on their own. A friend of mine just got herself a roommate, so maybe if that doesn't work out a spot will open up, but otherwise I don't know anyone who's looking.
This discussion has been closed.