Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    spent 1300 on booze.

Feels like a good decision.

Now to have a shower and get cracking with the cooking.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Allright I can get into this Romance of the Three Kingdoms game

Which one? Rot3K is pretty awesome. I had the 7th or 8th on my PS2, but when I was a kid I, *ahem* obtained copies of the older Super Nintendo games.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Reading @Gooey talk about Houston's light rail is like reading a bizarro world of Denver's.

So Denver's light rail's first line went from the Auraria Campus to Five Points. So the old joke was they connected the college students to the crack dealers. What is even funnier that line is now shut down but Five Points is now being gentrified so I bet they will re-open it. The next line built though did kind of what Gooey wants, it went south along Sante Fe to mineral which is one of the corners for a huge suburb and north to downtown and the 16th Street mall, basically the heart of Downtown. That was the only line for good amount of time. They added sections that let it go to Mile High Stadium and Union Station connecting all the sports arenas and Elitch's which is a 6 flags. The next line is the 1-25 line. This goes from the East side of the big suburb that the mineral station is on the west side all the way down town and follows I-25. It also has stops where most people work in the tech industry the Denver Tech Center. They also added a bit that goes up I-225 out to Nine Mile which kind of connects the big eastern suburb of Aurora but doesn't quiet go far enough East. They need to expand it.

They just opened up a new line that goes along US-6/6th Ave all the way out to the Jefferson County Court House. This line connects Golden to downtown and runs through a lot of the lower middle income Hispanic neighborhoods and out to the wealthy white neighborhoods near the foothills. The next line that is suppose to be built goes to the airport through Aurora and Commerce City which is good. Then the last line is suppose to go up north to Longmont and a line out to Boulder from that which would be huge because it would connect the last major suburbs to downtown.

Some how Denver has been developing an actual public transit system even with the damn urban sprawl.

houston has repeatedly approved rail expansions through referendums but dipshit politicians keep getting in the way

like, hey fuckface

what do you think is more expensive to build/maintain

new lanes on the highway that can't be built without buying up more land and a fleet of 1200 busses, or, a train?
    919UOwT.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Casual wrote: »
    it's really beautiful outside right now

the kind of weather where i'm gagging to go home and take the dog for a walk

trouble is it was like this a couple of days ago and as i drove inland to where i live there was a noticable and immediate shift as i crossed a line half way between the office and my house where is was

sunny

*drives over line*

THICK DARK CLOUD AND GLOOM

8050461D-760E-4F69-B5BA-6B67CDF99CCE-15883-00002A6F26BF7464.jpg
    Caveman Paws on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    One of my coworkers uses the same pic as @ronya for his avatar in our internal IM. It's a constant source of distress.

hahaha

I could change mine...

Oh, I would never. I'm not promiscuous when it comes to my avatars.

after sticking with the same one for about four years i've launched head first into a corgi of change!!

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    it's possible that there's simply actually no effect and the estimate of the transition point is picking up noise; it's hard to tell because the estimate for the transition speed (the horizontal axis) is so poor.

does anyone else think that Ronya doesn't actually type these posts and what we're actually seeing is his stream of consciousness pouring out of his head and into his computer?
    If you’ve succeeded in making a neural interface you should share it Ronya.

[chat] is where I dump my thoughts :p
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    I think I might have a nap.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I think I might have a nap.

then fire ze fucking missiles?
    edited May 2013
    The graphs I posted were of M2. I just ran M3, which also landed solidly on -0.2... but in the reverse direction :rotate: . I think I know what's going on here, but it's complicated.

Running M1 now. Come on, computer.
    ronya on
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    it's possible that there's simply actually no effect and the estimate of the transition point is picking up noise; it's hard to tell because the estimate for the transition speed (the horizontal axis) is so poor.

does anyone else think that Ronya doesn't actually type these posts and what we're actually seeing is his stream of consciousness pouring out of his head and into his computer?
    If you’ve succeeded in making a neural interface you should share it Ronya.

[chat] is where I dump my thoughts :p

it must be mentally exausting being you
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    spent 1300 on booze.

I don't know how much that is in American, but my mind read it as dollars and my eyes shot open like O_O
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Reading Gooey talk about Houston's light rail is like reading a bizarro world of Denver's.

So Denver's light rail's first line went from the Auraria Campus to Five Points. So the old joke was they connected the college students to the crack dealers. What is even funnier that line is now shut down but Five Points is now being gentrified so I bet they will re-open it. The next line built though did kind of what Gooey wants, it went south along Sante Fe to mineral which is one of the corners for a huge suburb and north to downtown and the 16th Street mall, basically the heart of Downtown. That was the only line for good amount of time. They added sections that let it go to Mile High Stadium and Union Station connecting all the sports arenas and Elitch's which is a 6 flags. The next line is the 1-25 line. This goes from the East side of the big suburb that the mineral station is on the west side all the way down town and follows I-25. It also has stops where most people work in the tech industry the Denver Tech Center. They also added a bit that goes up I-225 out to Nine Mile which kind of connects the big eastern suburb of Aurora but doesn't quiet go far enough East. They need to expand it.

They just opened up a new line that goes along US-6/6th Ave all the way out to the Jefferson County Court House. This line connects Golden to downtown and runs through a lot of the lower middle income Hispanic neighborhoods and out to the wealthy white neighborhoods near the foothills. The next line that is suppose to be built goes to the airport through Aurora and Commerce City which is good. Then the last line is suppose to go up north to Longmont and a line out to Boulder from that which would be huge because it would connect the last major suburbs to downtown.

Some how Denver has been developing an actual public transit system even with the damn urban sprawl.

houston has repeatedly approved rail expansions through referendums but dipshit politicians keep getting in the way

like, hey fuckface

new lanes on the highway that can't be built without buying up more land and a fleet of 1200 busses, or, a train?

Texas everybody!

Joking aside we had the opposite problem here through most of the 1990's. No trains or new highway lanes. Our governor at the time famously said, "Why build more lanes on the highway? They will just fill up to."

So our highways are about a decade behind our growth, same with our public transit. But at least the light rail goes places and gets really heavy use.

What we need are commuter rails up to Fort Collins and down to Colorado Springs. Should stop in Longmont, Loveland and maybe Johnstown along the way up North. And going South it should stop at Castle Rock and Monument. Help connect these places to Denver and help connect some of the outer burbs of these cities to their city center.

What is great we already have the rail lines because they still use them for coal. Get the rail roads in on this and boom. Also be kind of nice to connect with the new union station they are finishing up in a year or so.
    falasig.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i maintain my stance that every city would be better if we went back in time and put trains everywhere
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    time machine train tycoon
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    We should replace all the people in cities with trains.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Reading Gooey talk about Houston's light rail is like reading a bizarro world of Denver's.

like, hey fuckface

Texas everybody!

Joking aside we had the opposite problem here through most of the 1990's. No trains or new highway lanes. Our governor at the time famously said, "Why build more lanes on the highway? They will just fill up to."

So our highways are about a decade behind our growth, same with our public transit. But at least the light rail goes places and gets really heavy use.

What we need are commuter rails up to Fort Collins and down to Colorado Springs. Should stop in Longmont, Loveland and maybe Johnstown along the way up North. And going South it should stop at Castle Rock and Monument. Help connect these places to Denver and help connect some of the outer burbs of these cities to their city center.

What is great we already have the rail lines because they still use them for coal. Get the rail roads in on this and boom. Also be kind of nice to connect with the new union station they are finishing up in a year or so.

to point out the elephant in the room

perhaps cities like this need to start looking at population control?
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    aw, crap. The M1 estimate identifies 2008 as the point of change, what the hell.

wat

regulate how many kids people can have?

or how many people can move to a city?
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I'M NOT A LIAR SKIPPY
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    aw, crap. The M1 estimate identifies 2008 as the point of change, what the hell.

Thanks obama!
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    i maintain my stance that every city would be better if we went back in time and put trains everywhere

Beats my idea of killing the elderly and mentally baffled.

Now you need a musical number to really sell the idea to the simple townsfolk types.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Allright I can get into this Romance of the Three Kingdoms game

Which one? Rot3K is pretty awesome. I had the 7th or 8th on my PS2, but when I was a kid I, *ahem* obtained copies of the older Super Nintendo games.

The 11th one for PS2.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

wat

Just gas all the white christian men.

Then freedom will truly be free.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'M NOT A LIAR SKIPPY

then y r ur pnts on fiyah
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    light rail rant because i am thinking about it now:

houston built a light rail system a number of years ago. the line bisects downtown, running from just on the north side of downtown to a little south of the city. basically, it connects the two U of H campuses, which oddly enough the president of U of H was on the board that decided where to build the light rail. What a coincidence!

Anyway, the train runs on the street level, on regular streets with cars. When they designed the rail they decided to use these state-of-the-art cars that are super quiet, since the train runs through some neighborhoods. One problem - quiet trains means peope can't hear them when they need to! And since it is on street level, the train had huge problems hitting motorists and pedestrians. Unfortunately some people were killed IIRC. Anyway, the solution? Put this obnoxious screeching bell on the train. So now it is no longer silent and is ten times worse than if they had gone with a normal train that makes noise.

Not to mention the fact that the train isn't like a subway where you de facto have to buy a ticket due to the gates. There are no gates. You're supposed to buy a ticket, but no one does. Why would you? They don't check for tickets and there's nothing that prevents you from getting on the train without one.

Did I mention that the train runs on the street? Since the train bisects downtown north/south, it is a traffic nightmare. It constantly snarls up traffic in downtown. I regularly wait 5 minutes at a light for the train to go by on my way home from work. It is terrible!

And now they want to put in a second line, running east/west through downtown, also on street level, that crosses the north/south train. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG HERE? Not to mention the fact that it's going to double the traffic problem created by the first train, as you'll have trains waiting for other trains, and cars stopped waiting on those trains.

Houston is a very large city by area. Insanely large. You can drive for an hour on the highway and still be in "Houston". Right now Houston has a pretty expansive commuter bus system that utilizes the HOV lanes on the highways, but even then when the busses get downtown they still create traffic. And even though they are in the HOV lane they can still get backed up with traffic on the highways. Not to mention the fact that the operating costs (fuel, drivers, maintenance) must be insane.

What Houston needs to do is take that money they're using building the light rail and make a real proper commuter rail out to the suburbs. Ditch the busses that create more traffic, lower your operating costs, fit more people on each load, deliver more consistent service. There are even a few derelict buildings on the outskirts of downtown that could be knocked down and turned into a rail station!
    Agreed! I don't think Houston has ever planned well IRT transportation. It is fairly obvious given the labyrinth one must navigate to get around. :P

Houston had a weird growth pattern. The first thing you need to understand is that Texas politicians get lynched if they propose a tax increase. But Houston has roads to pay for. So the city needed a way to pay for things like roads. So instead of raising taxes, the annexed areas around the city to increase the tax base. But you have to pay for those roads, so they grabbed a bit more...
    Hehehe.

There're DNC operatives who have their eyes on Texas.

Mostly because of the booming Hispanic population.

It's going to be great when Texas turns blue and the nation becomes Democratic forever and the Republican party dies and we become a social democracy paradise.

Soon Spool will have nowhere to run.

One day his son will come to him and say "Daddy, what was it like before the Great Leader gave us Obamacare?" and a single tear will well in his eyes as he turns the television to local news where the Democratic Governor of Texas is giving a speech about the necessity to increase taxes to a cheering crowd.

We won't get TV in the bunker.
    A Democrat ran the state while Bush was governor! Hell, a Democrat kicked off Bush's presidential bid.

Also Anne Richards.

Vat ever you say, Comrade

Wk7D2Zs.png

I could be arrested for having this image in my cache, you monster.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    I have no clue what's going on there, but I am prepared to ignore it since M1 isn't the focus anyway. It correctly puts a really obvious valley at 1986 as well, so I will still include it; it just says that 2008 is an even bigger change in M1 causality.

The argument in Lee and Li is that M3 is the "actual" money supply in Singapore, not M2 as in most countries, because due to a quirk in how the MAS computes these statistics, people treat a large chunk of M3 as short-term deposits anyway. I suspect this is relevant in the curious M2/M3 reverse dynamic.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    SCIENCE, BITCHES

bettercontourplot.png

your x axis is scaled wrong

you're plotting all the places where nothing varies on the x-axis
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

like, hey fuckface

Texas everybody!

Huh?

What do mean by this? Limit immigration?

I think part of this is you are missing that these aren't all suburbs. I listed pretty distinct cities with big open stretches in between but people tend to work in different places do to housing cost and such. Basically this is just connecting a bunch of towns/cities together via a train system reducing traffic, pollution and so on. Kind of like most of Japan or chunks of Europe.

Also you have to realize the distance I am talking about with the trains from Colorado Springs up to Fort Collins is about 150 miles or 240 kilometers along the foothills to the Rocky Mountains.

There are maybe 2 million people living in this area. I think 2.5 million from the last census.
    falasig.png

houston built a light rail system a number of years ago. the line bisects downtown, running from just on the north side of downtown to a little south of the city. basically, it connects the two U of H campuses, which oddly enough the president of U of H was on the board that decided where to build the light rail. What a coincidence!

Anyway, the train runs on the street level, on regular streets with cars. When they designed the rail they decided to use these state-of-the-art cars that are super quiet, since the train runs through some neighborhoods. One problem - quiet trains means peope can't hear them when they need to! And since it is on street level, the train had huge problems hitting motorists and pedestrians. Unfortunately some people were killed IIRC. Anyway, the solution? Put this obnoxious screeching bell on the train. So now it is no longer silent and is ten times worse than if they had gone with a normal train that makes noise.

Not to mention the fact that the train isn't like a subway where you de facto have to buy a ticket due to the gates. There are no gates. You're supposed to buy a ticket, but no one does. Why would you? They don't check for tickets and there's nothing that prevents you from getting on the train without one.

Did I mention that the train runs on the street? Since the train bisects downtown north/south, it is a traffic nightmare. It constantly snarls up traffic in downtown. I regularly wait 5 minutes at a light for the train to go by on my way home from work. It is terrible!

And now they want to put in a second line, running east/west through downtown, also on street level, that crosses the north/south train. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG HERE? Not to mention the fact that it's going to double the traffic problem created by the first train, as you'll have trains waiting for other trains, and cars stopped waiting on those trains.

Houston is a very large city by area. Insanely large. You can drive for an hour on the highway and still be in "Houston". Right now Houston has a pretty expansive commuter bus system that utilizes the HOV lanes on the highways, but even then when the busses get downtown they still create traffic. And even though they are in the HOV lane they can still get backed up with traffic on the highways. Not to mention the fact that the operating costs (fuel, drivers, maintenance) must be insane.

What Houston needs to do is take that money they're using building the light rail and make a real proper commuter rail out to the suburbs. Ditch the busses that create more traffic, lower your operating costs, fit more people on each load, deliver more consistent service. There are even a few derelict buildings on the outskirts of downtown that could be knocked down and turned into a rail station!
    Agreed! I don't think Houston has ever planned well IRT transportation. It is fairly obvious given the labyrinth one must navigate to get around. :P

Houston had a weird growth pattern. The first thing you need to understand is that Texas politicians get lynched if they propose a tax increase. But Houston has roads to pay for. So the city needed a way to pay for things like roads. So instead of raising taxes, the annexed areas around the city to increase the tax base. But you have to pay for those roads, so they grabbed a bit more...
    Hehehe.

It's going to be great when Texas turns blue and the nation becomes Democratic forever and the Republican party dies and we become a social democracy paradise.

One day his son will come to him and say "Daddy, what was it like before the Great Leader gave us Obamacare?" and a single tear will well in his eyes as he turns the television to local news where the Democratic Governor of Texas is giving a speech about the necessity to increase taxes to a cheering crowd.

A Democrat ran the state while Bush was governor! Hell, a Democrat kicked off Bush's presidential bid.

Also Anne Richards.

Wk7D2Zs.png

I have notified the Texas Rangers. I'm not sure what a baseball team will be able to do, but here we are.
    Lh96QHG.png
    I'M NOT A LIAR SKIPPY

do you still have a pone
    The M1 plot:

funkycontours.png

The correct thing to do is rewrite the equation to have two structural breaks instead of just one, but fuck thaaaat
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Hehehe.

Also Anne Richards.

Wk7D2Zs.png

I have notified the Texas Rangers. I'm not sure what a baseball team will be able to do, but here we are.
    Chuck Norris will kick his face in.

edited May 2013

wat

either? both?

in anycase, allowing the population growth to spiral out of all proportion to our building of infastructure to suport it while sticking our fingers in our ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the sound of the existing infastructure groaning under the weight seems like a bad plan

it seems to be similar to the 2008 economic collapse in that it's a problem plenty of people saw coming but were shouted down by people determined to continue the unsustainable lifestyle
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    I'M NOT A LIAR SKIPPY

do you still have a pone

God, don't you remember that I got a haircut?
    Ronya these rainbows are terrible

wat

either? both?

in anycase, allowing the poplation growth to spiral out of all proportion to our building of infastructure to suport it while sticking our fingers in our ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the sound of the existing infastructure groaning under the weight seems like a bad plan

it seems to be similar to the 2008 economic collapse in that it's a problem plenty of people saw coming but were shouted down by people determined to continue the unsustainable lifestyle

what a foreign thought

I can't imagine being told NOPE YOU CANT MOVE TO AUSTIN SORRY WE'RE FULL

or that I can't have octuplets if I want

wat

either? both?

in anycase, allowing the poplation growth to spiral out of all proportion to our building of infastructure to suport it while sticking our fingers in our ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the sound of the existing infastructure groaning under the weight seems like a bad plan

I don't know how cities would get the power to have population controls.

Or what would be solved by that which wouldn't be better solved by just building proper infrastructure.

Since America is not in danger of overpopulation any time soon.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Irond Will wrote: »
    SCIENCE, BITCHES

bettercontourplot.png

your x axis is scaled wrong

you're plotting all the places where nothing varies on the x-axis

it's a plot of the results of a search for parameters, I can't scale it right because I don't know the parameters to begin with

I'm doing nonlinear estimation here
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    spent 1300 on booze.

I don't know how much that is in American, but my mind read it as dollars and my eyes shot open like O_O

That's why I elected not to convert it

(222 dollars american.)
    xlh6c3.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    time machine train tycoon

Steampunk ftw
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
This discussion has been closed.