Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    sarks the poneless
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    light rail rant because i am thinking about it now:

houston built a light rail system a number of years ago. the line bisects downtown, running from just on the north side of downtown to a little south of the city. basically, it connects the two U of H campuses, which oddly enough the president of U of H was on the board that decided where to build the light rail. What a coincidence!

Anyway, the train runs on the street level, on regular streets with cars. When they designed the rail they decided to use these state-of-the-art cars that are super quiet, since the train runs through some neighborhoods. One problem - quiet trains means peope can't hear them when they need to! And since it is on street level, the train had huge problems hitting motorists and pedestrians. Unfortunately some people were killed IIRC. Anyway, the solution? Put this obnoxious screeching bell on the train. So now it is no longer silent and is ten times worse than if they had gone with a normal train that makes noise.

Not to mention the fact that the train isn't like a subway where you de facto have to buy a ticket due to the gates. There are no gates. You're supposed to buy a ticket, but no one does. Why would you? They don't check for tickets and there's nothing that prevents you from getting on the train without one.

Did I mention that the train runs on the street? Since the train bisects downtown north/south, it is a traffic nightmare. It constantly snarls up traffic in downtown. I regularly wait 5 minutes at a light for the train to go by on my way home from work. It is terrible!

And now they want to put in a second line, running east/west through downtown, also on street level, that crosses the north/south train. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG HERE? Not to mention the fact that it's going to double the traffic problem created by the first train, as you'll have trains waiting for other trains, and cars stopped waiting on those trains.

Houston is a very large city by area. Insanely large. You can drive for an hour on the highway and still be in "Houston". Right now Houston has a pretty expansive commuter bus system that utilizes the HOV lanes on the highways, but even then when the busses get downtown they still create traffic. And even though they are in the HOV lane they can still get backed up with traffic on the highways. Not to mention the fact that the operating costs (fuel, drivers, maintenance) must be insane.

What Houston needs to do is take that money they're using building the light rail and make a real proper commuter rail out to the suburbs. Ditch the busses that create more traffic, lower your operating costs, fit more people on each load, deliver more consistent service. There are even a few derelict buildings on the outskirts of downtown that could be knocked down and turned into a rail station!
    Agreed! I don't think Houston has ever planned well IRT transportation. It is fairly obvious given the labyrinth one must navigate to get around. :P

Houston had a weird growth pattern. The first thing you need to understand is that Texas politicians get lynched if they propose a tax increase. But Houston has roads to pay for. So the city needed a way to pay for things like roads. So instead of raising taxes, the annexed areas around the city to increase the tax base. But you have to pay for those roads, so they grabbed a bit more...
    Hehehe.

There're DNC operatives who have their eyes on Texas.

Mostly because of the booming Hispanic population.

It's going to be great when Texas turns blue and the nation becomes Democratic forever and the Republican party dies and we become a social democracy paradise.

Soon Spool will have nowhere to run.

One day his son will come to him and say "Daddy, what was it like before the Great Leader gave us Obamacare?" and a single tear will well in his eyes as he turns the television to local news where the Democratic Governor of Texas is giving a speech about the necessity to increase taxes to a cheering crowd.

We won't get TV in the bunker.
    A Democrat ran the state while Bush was governor! Hell, a Democrat kicked off Bush's presidential bid.

Also Anne Richards.

Vat ever you say, Comrade

Wk7D2Zs.png

I could be arrested for having this image in my cache, you monster.

I have notified the Texas Rangers. I'm not sure what a baseball team will be able to do, but here we are.

Our plan to confuse the liberals is working...
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Considering this again:
    ronya wrote: »
    The M1 plot:

funkycontours.png

The correct thing to do is rewrite the equation to have two structural breaks instead of just one, but fuck thaaaat

From bottom to top: 1986 policy change, 1997 recession, 2008 recession. It's actually pretty cool.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    the wine monopoly had lines like woah

they went around literally the entire store

and apparently Brann is playing today because every tram I caught on the way home was chock full and had to leave people standing on the platform. So I walked home.

Wearing a sweater today was way too warm. It looks like we'll get fantastic weather for the national day tomorrow.

Yay!

also I should have been in the shower already and had the cooking underway. But lying here seemed nicer.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    spent 1300 on booze.

Feels like a good decision.

Now to have a shower and get cracking with the cooking.

I don't know how much that is in American, but my mind read it as dollars and my eyes shot open like O_O

That's why I elected not to convert it

(222 dollars american.)

I think I'll stick to my 6 pack of coolers for $10 thanks
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.
    Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

Don't let these ideas touch - they'll rip the fabric of the universe!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    to point out the elephant in the room

perhaps cities like this need to start looking at population control?

wat

regulate how many kids people can have?

or how many people can move to a city?

either? both?

in anycase, allowing the poplation growth to spiral out of all proportion to our building of infastructure to suport it while sticking our fingers in our ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the sound of the existing infastructure groaning under the weight seems like a bad plan

it seems to be similar to the 2008 economic collapse in that it's a problem plenty of people saw coming but were shouted down by people determined to continue the unsustainable lifestyle

what a foreign thought

I can't imagine being told NOPE YOU CANT MOVE TO AUSTIN SORRY WE'RE FULL

or that I can't have octuplets if I want

*shrug*

at some point the bubble will burst and we will have to accept that land, resources, food, infastructure, pretty much all the things we need to support an ever growing population are finite

if that's a fact you can't live with then we really need to get cracking on space travel and terraforming technology
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    B43 CUTTER

I hate how officially the Latitude D410 seems to use an Intel wireless chip, but it actually uses a Broadcom chip and the drivers for this chip aren't included in the kernel

PIECE OF POOP
    ITT we learn that Casual is really Paul Ehrlich.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

wat

either? both?

in anycase, allowing the population growth to spiral out of all proportion to our building of infastructure to suport it while sticking our fingers in our ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the sound of the existing infastructure groaning under the weight seems like a bad plan

it seems to be similar to the 2008 economic collapse in that it's a problem plenty of people saw coming but were shouted down by people determined to continue the unsustainable lifestyle

A yes but let us ignore the real elephant in the room when talking about US infrastructure.

It is underfunded and under repaired and under upgrade not do to population strain but because of politics and the push not to spend such money.

Most of the US has population densities that are very low. The population growth as a country is stalling and immigration is a huge reason it is growing at all. Last census was below estimates put out in 2000/1990's. You have the whole demographic transition of less kids, more old people and so on so pop controls are really not needed.

What you do have is a system where the idea of raising revenue and then focusing it on infrastructure repair or borrowing for such repair is considered anathema to many politicians so it doesn't happen thus the bill gets bigger and the infrastructure gets worse.
    falasig.png
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    If my school had an online "this is your kid's homework" system, I'd have been a straight-A student.

I think my problem is that I felt cheated - I was never challenged and got A's just by being smart, and was always told that I was smart. I recognized that I could get an A or B with 0 effort, and furthermore that the difference was based on externalities like whether the teacher was having a good day or liked me, so why would I bust my ass to get an A+ when it literally did not matter?

It's not until I had a conversation the other day with my mom when she admitted that she never strove to be the best in anything that I've really started putting all this together.

They have adult literacy classes. Do they have programs for learning as an adult to give 110% on things that don't necessarily matter? Because I'm having a quarter-life crises, recognizing the very real potential of peaking at 26 and working $40k/year jobs for the rest of my life, and I'm desperately hungry for help.

in chat we've talked about this before, I think it's a common thing for people with aptitude at school to be told they're smart and then have trouble with the effort part of the equation

what do you mean by peaking at 26

@skippydumptruck

I sometimes feel that my propensity to trend toward putting in the minimum effort just to get by will either catch up with me in some big dramatic way (overlook something, get fired, never get another job) or via a slow, inexorable creep through a life of mediocrity.
    eokNV.jpg
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

hell no i didn't say that

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

build more shit or place a limit on how many kids people can have

pick one
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    spent 1300 on booze.

Feels like a good decision.

Now to have a shower and get cracking with the cooking.

I don't know how much that is in American, but my mind read it as dollars and my eyes shot open like O_O

That's why I elected not to convert it

(222 dollars american.)

I think I'll stick to my 6 pack of coolers for $10 thanks

I don't know what a cooler is.

Also I bought bourbon, vermouth, gin, vodka and cognac.
    xlh6c3.png
    Hey @AManFromEarth

I was thinking of sending the Texas Rangers over to your place for a little "meet & greet". Do you like Colt rev-err baseball?
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    everything hurts
    Per3th.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hey @AManFromEarth

I was thinking of sending the Texas Rangers over to your place for a little "meet & greet". Do you like Colt rev-err baseball?

Ain't got no goddamn jurisdiction on this side of the gulf.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

pick one

going all china is not the only way to affect population growth.

and not the even the best way to control the population of cities.
    xlh6c3.png

because i can point out an obvious trend instead of ignoring it while playing "freedom isn't free" in the background?

come on spool

the number of times i've seen you kick off at someone for far less blatant straw manning than this...
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Apparently there is support for broadcom in the kernel now but why didn't my oldish Ubuntu installation pick it up. Whatever! We'll see what happens when I install Archbang.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Transportation in America is a manufactured crisis, not a real one.

The Southwest has some population concerns re: water, as do various parts of Florida, but there is no "coming reckoning" re: american cities and population.
    Lh96QHG.png

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.
    Hey @AManFromEarth

Ain't got no goddamn jurisdiction on this side of the gulf.

I feel you don't quite grasp how baseball is played in this case. ;)
    speaking of vodka

http://www.vikingfjord.com/

somebody went a little overboard methinks
    xlh6c3.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

pick one

i think most of us are thinking the pretty obvious solution is to build more shit

and are boggling a bit at the fact that you consider population control to be just as reasonable
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    speaking of vodka

Sounds pretty legit

because i can point out an obvious trend instead of ignoring it while playing "freedom isn't free" in the background?

come on spool

the number of times i've seen you kick off at someone for far less blatant straw manning than this...

I'm joking around, but that's a fair cop.

The thing is that you're wrong about the trend. So wrong that I was not sure if you were serious at first!
    edited May 2013

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.

then stop yur goshdarn belly-aching pay your fucking taxes and build more fucking infastructure
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

pick one

then stop yur goshdarm belly-aching pay your fucking taxes and build more fucking infastructure

I could be wrong, but I think Spool has gotten on the infrastructure train?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    If my school had an online "this is your kid's homework" system, I'd have been a straight-A student.

I think my problem is that I felt cheated - I was never challenged and got A's just by being smart, and was always told that I was smart. I recognized that I could get an A or B with 0 effort, and furthermore that the difference was based on externalities like whether the teacher was having a good day or liked me, so why would I bust my ass to get an A+ when it literally did not matter?

It's not until I had a conversation the other day with my mom when she admitted that she never strove to be the best in anything that I've really started putting all this together.

They have adult literacy classes. Do they have programs for learning as an adult to give 110% on things that don't necessarily matter? Because I'm having a quarter-life crises, recognizing the very real potential of peaking at 26 and working $40k/year jobs for the rest of my life, and I'm desperately hungry for help.

in chat we've talked about this before, I think it's a common thing for people with aptitude at school to be told they're smart and then have trouble with the effort part of the equation

what do you mean by peaking at 26

skippydumptruck

I sometimes feel that my propensity to trend toward putting in the minimum effort just to get by will either catch up with me in some big dramatic way (overlook something, get fired, never get another job) or via a slow, inexorable creep through a life of mediocrity.

hmm

I am not sure I parse this, really

I mean, either your career is not a huge focus and you continue to develop your cool hobbies and interests

or it is a focus and you put time and effort into it while still maintaining your free time things

pick one

i think most of us are thinking the pretty obvious solution is to build more shit

and are boggling a bit at the fact that you consider population control to be just as reasonable

i don't

i push it as an unpalatable alternative to doing the obvious thing
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

wat

either? both?

in anycase, allowing the poplation growth to spiral out of all proportion to our building of infastructure to suport it while sticking our fingers in our ears and going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the sound of the existing infastructure groaning under the weight seems like a bad plan

what a foreign thought

I can't imagine being told NOPE YOU CANT MOVE TO AUSTIN SORRY WE'RE FULL

or that I can't have octuplets if I want

*shrug*

at some point the bubble will burst and we will have to accept that land, resources, food, infastructure, pretty much all the things we need to support an ever growing population are finite

if that's a fact you can't live with then we really need to get cracking on space travel and terraforming technology

Fun part, humanities population growth is already slowing!

Epidemiological transition effecting the demographic transition or aka why Europe and Japans population is shrinking. It is one of those cool things that we have found out in the last 20 years. Once people live longer, have less kids die in the first year and have a shift in how their health over their lifetime is they have less kids. Way less kids. In fact so many fewer kids populations shrink. Kind of why Japan will lost almost 20 million of population in the next 20 years type of deal.

And guess what? It is happening in all high income countries and starting to happen in most middle income countries. US population growth isn't really growth in the traditional having babies sense it is a mix of babies, though some groups are at or below replacement, and immigration which makes up the rest which also has been shrinking. So it is more like population reshuffle.

It seems that the world is going to top out at about 9 billion people if most trends keep going. Even much of the Southern Hemisphere is starting to stall out on growth as they move along those curves.

Still that is a lot. But so far we can as a species produce more than enough food to feed the world(but again this is culture getting in the way more than limits on production) thanks to the green revolution. The move away from fossil fuels is a big one and probably won't happen till most of Oceania is under water. But hey we are still bad at this.

But the Malthusian apocalypse isn't nearly as imminent as we thought in the 1970's.
    falasig.png
    TehSloth wrote: »
    speaking of vodka

Sounds pretty legit

it is apparently a very good vodka. Won prizes and shit.

Me I'm happy with something that I can drink with a minimum risk of blindness or death.
    xlh6c3.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

pick one

On the bold: That's because noone bothers to listen the people who they allot taxpayer money to to figure this shit out. And then the problem gets worse so the response to more people trying to figure out why these issues are becoming more problematic are met with "WTF are we paying you for?"
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    aw, crap. The M1 estimate identifies 2008 as the point of change, what the hell.

Thanks obama!

A7HNntbCYAAMWXo.jpg
    network_sig2.png

pick one

then stop yur goshdarm belly-aching pay your fucking taxes and build more fucking infastructure

wonderful

perhaps he could get his party and fellow conservatives on board too
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

pick one

i don't

i push it as an unpalatable alternative to doing the obvious thing

ah

i apologize for the misunderstanding then
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Lol, I must've caused quite the stir last night. 8 access denied notifications. Do you mods really love me? :-*
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

pick one

ho ho ho I see what you did there.

This did all start with me mentioning that if I got a job downtown I'd need to decide between the sensitivity training car and the vegan car when I take our silly train into work. :)
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    we should poison the rural areas with the blood of Jormungr so that the megacities can be born
    I think Austin's commuter rail is provided by Fisher Price.
This discussion has been closed.