Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I love when people mention population overgrowth like its a current thing. lol no
    birth rate is on the deeee cliiiiine

iirc birth rates are certainly down among whites, but (iirc?) not so among blacks and definitely not so among Hispanics.

That's kind of the source of why conservatives are pushing to try and get the Hispanic vote. Part of their fear is that if the Hispanic vote goes to democrats the conservatives will essentially be bred out of office by the influx of a new voting majority. You can interpret the level of goosery of this thought process as you wish.
    How the hell are the conservatives trying to go for the hispanic vote? All the rhetoric i've seen makes it seem like they want nothing to do with them. this was 2 years ago tho.

You kidding me?

Mitt Romney blackfaced* up during speeches to appeal to a hispanic audiance, the GOP made a big push to get hispanics on board in the last election

*light-mocha-faced?
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

Don't let these ideas touch - they'll rip the fabric of the universe!

hell no i didn't say that

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

build more shit or place a limit on how many kids people can have

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.

that really seems kinda melodramatic considering that our population is increasing

US population is increasing due to immigration taking up a good chunk of the slack.

But the US tends to hover just above replacement even with the high fertility groups. And the more they move up the economic ladder they will decrease as well.

Population reference bureau has a good report on this.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2012/world-population-data-sheet/fact-sheet-us-population.aspx
    falasig.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I love when people mention population overgrowth like its a current thing. lol no

Yeah people tend to look at the birth velocity and extrapolate as though it is linear, like there's no birth acceleration.

Putting this in physics terms makes it so much easier for me >.>

Integrate the birth acceleration twice and you'll see there's no problem!
    The problem casual has is very real tho. The infrastructure here is not enough to handle the population density in a lot of places.

This means build more shit.

This doesn't mean that casual thinks the planet will be completely covered in human bodies in 50 years.

Oh yeah for sure.

I just woke up and groggily came on and saw Fuzzy say something and wanted to make a physics analogy.

Because that is what I am like at groggy times.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

iirc birth rates are certainly down among whites, but (iirc?) not so among blacks and definitely not so among Hispanics.

That's kind of the source of why conservatives are pushing to try and get the Hispanic vote. Part of their fear is that if the Hispanic vote goes to democrats the conservatives will essentially be bred out of office by the influx of a new voting majority. You can interpret the level of goosery of this thought process as you wish.
    How the hell are the conservatives trying to go for the hispanic vote? All the rhetoric i've seen makes it seem like they want nothing to do with them. this was 2 years ago tho.

No, they're trying to get the vote all right. They just are absolutely horrible at it.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular

"How" is an issue they're fucking up. "Why" is because virtually any extrapolation of data in texas leads to it eventually running blue if the demographics in voting do not change. That will mean that there will literally never be another red president.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    We wouldn't need to build more infrastructure if we stopped immigration to stabilize the population.

Just saying!

I hate all these restrictions about who can move where

so fucking frustrating that I want to move to canada or the uk for a few years and it's impossible because of pretend walls

that is one of the only reasons i like the EU

freedom of movement/residence

apart from that and free trade it's shit in almost every other measurable way

I like that I can move from state to state when I want, I just wish I could do so in a larger context too

it's dumb

wherever I move to, I will get a job so that I can eat and have a place to sleep

I will give the government part of my earnings

why wouldn't canada or wherever want that for a few years, it's the same deal they have with their existing citizens

>:[
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    So I take it the One True Way to enjoy olive oil is not to ingest it, but pleasure some dame's teats with it.

Figure I could get into that.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    According to multiple weibo posts by Chongqing netizens, at noon on 2013 May 2, the employees of a certain company circled around Liberation Monument by crawling on their knees, attracting many onlookers. Soon after, the Chongqing Yuzhong District Public Security Sub-bureau claimed on their official microblog account ”Through investigation, this was an exercise a cosmetics company gave their employees to train them to deal with pressure, and the police have already persuaded them to leave, and have also criticized and educated the organizers of the company.” Pictures are of photos taken by netizens at the scene.

In front of hundreds of bystanders, a group of people wearing uniforms knelt in the bustling business area, simultaneously crawling in circles and cheering each other on. May 2 at noon, this shocking scene at the Chongqing Liberation Monument was broadcasted live on many netizens’ microblog accounts, causing a big controversy. On the 2nd, the police of Yuzhong District responded that this incident was a “challenge exercise” conducted by a certain cosmetics company nearby with their employees. The police have already persuaded them to leave and have also criticized and educated the organizers of the company.

UBqG8fN.jpg

The company felt they needed learn their place as women: on all fours surrounded by strange men.
    network_sig2.png
    We wouldn't need to build more infrastructure if we stopped immigration to stabilize the population.

Just saying!

so fucking frustrating that I want to move to canada or the uk for a few years and it's impossible because of pretend walls

I like that I can move from state to state when I want, I just wish I could do so in a larger context too

it's dumb

wherever I move to, I will get a job so that I can eat and have a place to sleep

why wouldn't canada or wherever want that for a few years, it's the same deal they have with their existing citizens

because they have enough of their own people doing that they don't need you?

it's shit from our perspective but from a perspective of a nations self interests it's pretty logical

like, not to sound like a deranged right winger or anything but if the border between the US and Mexico vanished tomorrow it would cause... problems
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I guess it's more the fact that I can choose to do things and then not follow through, and it makes me pessimistic for my future. Like, I'm 3 years into an IT career and I could have learned Linux or whatever if I'd dedicated my time to doing so, and I'd have much better job prospects, but I just lack followthrough or discipline or something.

Same with hobbies; I pick something up and am enamored and then end up getting bored or frustrated. Ideally, I'd wake up and exercise and go to work and the time I'm not working I'd be using to study instead of puttering around on Reddit or whatever, and in my spare time I'd take an interest (Spanish, DJing, yoga, whatever) and pursue it consistently. The only reason I've kept a consistent Yoga practice is because I've got a weekly commitment to meet at a class with other people, which I feel is less-than-ideal.

I know there has to be a way to shift the balance toward leading this impeccable life, but I don't know what it is. "Just take pills; Adderall master race" doesn't appeal to me for lots of reasons.

hmm

this sounds like normal life to me

I mean, I'd kinda like to learn to code and brush up on my HTML/CSS

I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, and look for jobs in other cities so I can move

I should start running again even though it sucks, and I like BJJ and should get back into that

when I get home I am mostly tired and just wanna veg out with a movie or play a video game

Well it's stressing me out!
    eokNV.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    My new favorite word is 'salty'

it diffuses any situation in which I'm getting angry or frustrated because I can't keep a straight face when I think to myself "I'M GETTING AWFULLY SALTY"
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Just saying!

it's dumb

Poor American, so few freedoms and rights.

I can't even watch your videos on the Internet (legally)!

Hey that's not a fair characterization.

Mitt Romney has legitimate, longstanding ties to the Hispanic community.
    network_sig2.png
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

they're trying in the sense that in an ideal republican world, hispanics would vote for them

it's just that they're having a really difficult time pretending to care about hispanic people
    We want the hispanic vote.
    That'll take away from the old racist white person vote.
    Keep up the old racist white person vote until it is smaller than the hispanic vote then switch?

Sounds like a plan.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Raising hopes for cell-based therapies, UC San Francisco researchers have created the first functioning human thymus tissue from embryonic stem cells in the laboratory. The researchers showed that, in mice, the tissue can be used to foster the development of white blood cells the body needs to mount healthy immune responses and to prevent harmful autoimmune reactions.

Yessssss

http://m.medicalxpress.com/news/2013-05-stem-cell-based-strategy-boosts-immune-mice.html

how come he had to wallow in a vat of fake tan before going on stage then? :P
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

You kidding me?

Mitt Romney blackfaced* up during speeches to appeal to a hispanic audiance, the GOP made a big push to get hispanics on board in the last election

*light-mocha-faced?
    Being in the UK I missed this.

Sounds hilarious tho.
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Poor American, so few freedoms and rights.

I can't even watch your videos on the Internet (legally)!

it has nothing to do with me being american or my rights and freedoms

it just seems like a really archaic system to me
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Raising hopes for cell-based therapies, UC San Francisco researchers have created the first functioning human thymus tissue from embryonic stem cells in the laboratory. The researchers showed that, in mice, the tissue can be used to foster the development of white blood cells the body needs to mount healthy immune responses and to prevent harmful autoimmune reactions.

Yessssss

http://m.medicalxpress.com/news/2013-05-stem-cell-based-strategy-boosts-immune-mice.html

This could potentially be awesome for any number of issues.

You kidding me?

*light-mocha-faced?

Sounds hilarious tho.

it was!
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    god damnit, the laptop went to sleep during installation and it won't wake back up
    edited May 2013

Because let's be real: U.S. politics is basically the set of Jersey Shore.

john-boehner-tan.jpg
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png

You kidding me?

*light-mocha-faced?

Sounds hilarious tho.

it was!
    My godf im looking at images and dyin ehre.

Romney's "makeup choice" didn't get nearly as much coverage as it should have.

It was blatant.

Or maybe it got the coverage, but no one pointed out just how offensive it was. Just the usual jokey "looks like he got some sun hehehe!"

Sarksus wrote: »
    god damnit, the laptop went to sleep during installation and it won't wake back up

NO TIMMY

YOU CAN DO THIS

WAKE UP! WAKE UP TIMMY!

NOOOOO
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    hey SCIENCE

if you're so smart why not try to cure diseases in PEOPLE

no one cares about mice
    Per3th.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Sarksus wrote: »

NO TIMMY

YOU CAN DO THIS

WAKE UP! WAKE UP TIMMY!

NOOOOO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwVA698Hx2g
    Caveman Paws on
    charlie-crist.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Btw @spool32 see the infrastructure economics behind Chinas on child policy. I don't wanna get into all the devaluation of girls, ad of humans in general with some of their choices, but one of the reasons China is in as good a shape as it is demographically is from it's population control, and unparalleled infrastructure expansionism they've been able to coordinate.

This subject is really complicated, and I don't have time to basically write a dissertation about it, but if you wanna talk about some f the stuff pm me.

I'm not sure if I can keep my current forum posting/reading time up, haven't be getting enough work done.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    hey SCIENCE

no one cares about mice

If I am any indication, everyone going into science loathes people as a whole.

And if the grad students I've talked to are any indication, grad school makes you bitter and frustrated.

So really people are lucky scientists aren't all building death mechs that shoot rabies.
    edited May 2013

Because let's be real: U.S. politics is basically the set of Jersey Shore.

john-boehner-tan.jpg

This forces us to ask the real hard question of who is Snooky in this analogy. And I preemptively apologize for making people think about Snooky.
    EriktheVikingGamer on
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

his family does, but he's severed ties with that part of his family and there was a strict wall of silence around them during the campaign

After all they keep getting attacked by the cartels in Mexico and want drugs legalized in America because its ripping Mexico apart
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    hey SCIENCE

no one cares about mice

And if the grad students I've talked to are any indication, grad school makes you bitter and frustrated.

So really people are lucky scientists aren't all building death mechs that shoot rabies.

You all aren't?

Damn, now I am disappointed.
    Fucking YouTube has no respect for the iPhone users.

Can't link shit with ease like I used to. :p
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    I should go into science to correct this.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

Just saying!

it's dumb

because they have enough of their own people doing that they don't need you?

it's shit from our perspective but from a perspective of a nations self interests it's pretty logical

like, not to sound like a deranged right winger or anything but if the border between the US and Mexico vanished tomorrow it would cause... problems

Not as many as people would think. Especially with the recession, you have seen a reversal in illegal immigration basically.

The bigger problem with the EU is it is trying to develop an similar monetary policy with discrete fiscal policy. That doesn't work.
    falasig.png
    Do you know how hard it is to find a picture of a tanned U.S. politician.

Do you even know??
    network_sig2.png
    Cinders wrote: »
    hey SCIENCE

no one cares about mice

You all aren't?

Damn, now I am disappointed.

Well, Arch isn't.

He's mostly working on weaponizing dermestid beetles.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Do you even know??

it's hard to get a tan when you're a bloodsucking vampire
    Per3th.jpg
    edited May 2013

Do you even know??

EDIT: shenanigans
    EriktheVikingGamer on
This discussion has been closed.