Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I love when people mention population overgrowth like its a current thing. lol no
    birth rate is on the deeee cliiiiine

iirc birth rates are certainly down among whites, but (iirc?) not so among blacks and definitely not so among Hispanics.

That's kind of the source of why conservatives are pushing to try and get the Hispanic vote. Part of their fear is that if the Hispanic vote goes to democrats the conservatives will essentially be bred out of office by the influx of a new voting majority. You can interpret the level of goosery of this thought process as you wish.
    How the hell are the conservatives trying to go for the hispanic vote? All the rhetoric i've seen makes it seem like they want nothing to do with them. this was 2 years ago tho.

220px-Marco_Rubio,_Official_Portrait,_112th_Congress.jpg

To be fair, they're not trying very hard.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Do you know how hard it is to find a picture of a tanned U.S. politician.

Do you even know??

Most of them are so old and white they burst into flame under direct sunlight.
    Caveman Paws on
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Every time I look at anything involving firearms I'm reminded how batshit insane most people who care about firearms are.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

Don't let these ideas touch - they'll rip the fabric of the universe!

hell no i didn't say that

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

build more shit or place a limit on how many kids people can have

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.

that really seems kinda melodramatic considering that our population is increasing

US population is increasing due to immigration taking up a good chunk of the slack.

But the US tends to hover just above replacement even with the high fertility groups. And the more they move up the economic ladder they will decrease as well.

Population reference bureau has a good report on this.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2012/world-population-data-sheet/fact-sheet-us-population.aspx

You guys understand that even if birth rates are stagnant it's still possible for overpopulation to be an endemic for generations, right? Population growth is a problem of critical mass, and takes exponential energies to reverse it. One of the biggest issues are world faces is when the other 4 billion citizens decide they want air conditioning and a bitchin' pick up, and jam to lynyrd skynyrd too!
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Every time I look at anything involving firearms I'm reminded how batshit insane most people who care about firearms are.

I'd like to shoot guns, but then I'd probably have to interact with other people who would like to shoot guns.
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.

that really seems kinda melodramatic considering that our population is increasing

US population is increasing due to immigration taking up a good chunk of the slack.

But the US tends to hover just above replacement even with the high fertility groups. And the more they move up the economic ladder they will decrease as well.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2012/world-population-data-sheet/fact-sheet-us-population.aspx

You guys understand that even if birth rates are stagnant it's still possible for overpopulation to be an endemic for generations, right? Population growth is a problem of critical mass, and takes exponential energies to reverse it. One of the biggest issues are world faces is when the other 4 billion citizens decide they want air conditioning and a bitchin' pick up, and jam to lynyrd skynyrd too!

So what you're saying is scientists shouldn't be building death mechs, but communicable rabies?

Challenge accepted.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    These are incredible and I want 6 of them

http://www.sticknfind.com/
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

I'd like to shoot guns, but then I'd probably have to interact with other people who would like to shoot guns.

I have lots of guns and, for the next few months at least, a 40 acre farm on which to shoot them so that I don't have to deal with Those People.

I should really take advantage of that before it all goes away. But then I run the risk of running into a family member.

Hmm.
    Lh96QHG.png

Basically yes.

I like to shoot guns. So I found a guy who has a firearms license so I can have stuff shipped to him, JUST to avoid having to ever step into a gun shop again.

Then I look at some of the websites and they are like this.

I CANNOT ESCAPE SURVIVALISTS
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

pick one

So what you're saying is scientists shouldn't be building death mechs, but communicable rabies?

Challenge accepted.

Shivahn, I fully expect you to turn 28 Days Later into a documentary of what you accomplished. Get on it.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City

I'm going to invent a wand that you can scan yourself and your possessions to detect these.

Because these are portable stalking devices.

If you aren't Batman or Spider-Man I don't trust you with these.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Btw spool32 see the infrastructure economics behind Chinas on child policy. I don't wanna get into all the devaluation of girls, ad of humans in general with some of their choices, but one of the reasons China is in as good a shape as it is demographically is from it's population control, and unparalleled infrastructure expansionism they've been able to coordinate.

This subject is really complicated, and I don't have time to basically write a dissertation about it, but if you wanna talk about some f the stuff pm me.

I'm not sure if I can keep my current forum posting/reading time up, haven't be getting enough work done.

Uh, this isn't really true.

China is up a shit creek demographically. It is moving towards a top heavy pyramid of population with a huge elderly population and not enough workforce to support it. The current population is heavily male skewed and really is going to bite them in the ass in 10 years.

Birthrates are already low and decreasing. They are basically Japan 3.0 with Korea being Japan 2.0. This doesn't even count issues with pollution, water and chronic disease their under developed healthcare system is going to be dealing with.

Basically China is screwed and the one child policy and pop controls really are a big part of that.
    falasig.png
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Handmade organic cotton and upcycled-tire shoe from Ethiopia? Do want.

bLpOih0.png

http://www.solerebelsfootwear.co/collections/lace-ups/products/riff-reverb-o-mi-ser2-red
    @gooey
    eokNV.jpg
    Basically I'm uncomfortable walking around sometimes because of my body.

Now imagine me doing that in a gun shop.

You can't because such a thing does not happen!
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

okay that is rad
    919UOwT.png
    If queer ranges were a thing I'd frequent them so fast.
    TL DR wrote: »

bLpOih0.png

http://www.solerebelsfootwear.co/collections/lace-ups/products/riff-reverb-o-mi-ser2-red
    @gooey

is this fair trade
    919UOwT.png
    Partially because that's awesome.
    TL DR wrote: »

bLpOih0.png

@gooey

Is the organic cotton organically hand picked?
    realtalk: i think my brother actually owns a pair of those

he calls them "hippie-flage"
    919UOwT.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

I'm going to invent a wand that you can scan yourself and your possessions to detect these.

Range on bluetooth isn't that good, it's pretty much only going to find stuff in your own house at the farthest.
    My grandfather used to be president of the local gun club.

I should take it over and purge it of its yokelism and start a gun club/shooting school for people who aren't insane.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    spent 1300 on booze.

Feels like a good decision.

Now to have a shower and get cracking with the cooking.

I don't know how much that is in American, but my mind read it as dollars and my eyes shot open like O_O

That's why I elected not to convert it

(222 dollars american.)

I think I'll stick to my 6 pack of coolers for $10 thanks

I don't know what a cooler is.

Also I bought bourbon, vermouth, gin, vodka and cognac.

ZVPsp1q.jpg

Makes Mim get Puerto Rican girl drunk

(I get friendly and sleepy)

your land is a strange one.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    We wouldn't need to build more infrastructure if we stopped immigration to stabilize the population.

Just saying!

Immigrants who are taking jobs that what is now a essentially service based economy doesn't want to fill but are part of the backbone of our infrastructure? Down a destructive path this idea leads. Though you could be /sarcasm'ing, in which case my bad. And the problem isn't necessarily population size overall as much as it is population density for those lurkers who are reading.

I'm /sarcasming

A good friend of mine was just denied a visa, actually. :(
    "survivalist" is a broad term in my experience

it ranges from "backpacker who likes guns" to "holy fuck"
    919UOwT.png

I should take it over and purge it of its yokelism and start a gun club/shooting school for people who aren't insane.

Man that'd be awesome.

I mean it'd be you me and one other guy but.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Drive by ELM posting from Bulgaria. Silistra is a supernice small city that is not depressing at all , which is not what I expected in a former Soviet state.

I'm still using internet from some telecom hotspot which I can receive if I hold my phone exactly the right way near certain windows.

I can confirm that rumors are true: there is a ridiculously high portion of superhot women here. The bellcurve trends up a lot.

Edit: also there are a lot cats here.
    electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2013

Range on bluetooth isn't that good, it's pretty much only going to find stuff in your own house at the farthest.

You're forgetting about vision impaired stalkers!
    Caveman Paws on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I love when people mention population overgrowth like its a current thing. lol no
    birth rate is on the deeee cliiiiine

iirc birth rates are certainly down among whites, but (iirc?) not so among blacks and definitely not so among Hispanics.

That's kind of the source of why conservatives are pushing to try and get the Hispanic vote. Part of their fear is that if the Hispanic vote goes to democrats the conservatives will essentially be bred out of office by the influx of a new voting majority. You can interpret the level of goosery of this thought process as you wish.
    How the hell are the conservatives trying to go for the hispanic vote? All the rhetoric i've seen makes it seem like they want nothing to do with them. this was 2 years ago tho.

220px-Marco_Rubio,_Official_Portrait,_112th_Congress.jpg

To be fair, they're not trying very hard.

I know I've brought this up before, but the GOP outreach efforts in Florida have ended up pretty hilarious.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

by force, if necessary
    Per3th.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I MISS MY SOFT BLACK KITTIES

BUT IF I GO TO MY MOM'S APARTMENT I MIGHT HAUL OFF AND HIT MY DAD

*WEEPS*
    Gooey wrote: »
    "survivalist" is a broad term in my experience

it ranges from "backpacker who likes guns" to "holy fuck"

When I usually see it, the main difference between a survivalist and someone who is not is whether there is an 'if' or a 'when' before suggestion that society is going to collapse and become a mad-max style thing.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    AMFE it doesn't work that way, a gun club is a cursed establishment and seizing one will make you crazy

it's like giving boromir the ring of power to do good with
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    We wouldn't need to build more infrastructure if we stopped immigration to stabilize the population.

Just saying!

Immigrants who are taking jobs that what is now a essentially service based economy doesn't want to fill but are part of the backbone of our infrastructure? Down a destructive path this idea leads. Though you could be /sarcasm'ing, in which case my bad. And the problem isn't necessarily population size overall as much as it is population density for those lurkers who are reading.

I'm /sarcasming

A good friend of mine was just denied a visa, actually. :(

That sucks. How long until your friend can attempt to re-apply?
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    edited May 2013
    oiHTqkE.jpg
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

They're bluetooth! They only have a 100ft range!

They are fucking awesome and I will hang one from my cat's neck and stick one to my keys and one in my wallet and yessssss

Also one in my pants. Monitor this, Caveman!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    If queer ranges were a thing I'd frequent them so fast.

I smell money

@spool32 our politics, interests, and mutual desires to drive Bentleys could come together

Can you say "franchising"?
This discussion has been closed.